Menu

Weighing yourself

jenn-

Weighing yourself  

143 members have voted

1. 1. What time of day do you weigh yourself?

• First thing in the morning
    • Mid day
    • Before bed
    • Only at the doctor's office
    • Never
    • And of course... Other

I have a friend that weighs herself daily. She claims it really helped her.

She said it didn't matter when you weighed yourself-as long as you were consistent. Pick a time and stick with it.

If first thing in the morning works for you, do it then. After lunch? Before super? Right before bed? All are fine-just weigh at the same time each day. (Weighing before breakfast one day and immediately after supper the next will skew your results)

• Like 4

For myself, I found that the early morning after the bathroom provided the most reliable weight.  Probably because otherwise it depended so much on how recently I'd eaten and how much water I had to drink.   I'd find myself not drinking water before I knew I'd weigh myself, which is bad for weight-loss.    I love my weight loss graph.   Other times had more bumps in them when graphed.  it is very discouraging when trying to lose weight to see the number go up.  

Tiny brag.  My company started a Biggest Loser competition.   Participants chipped in $25 each, and the company matched everyone's contribution.   1st place gets 50% around $300 and the competition is almost over and I'm way ahead based on the criteria which is percentage lost.  Of course, I had the advantage of starting out the most overweight.  I've lost 10% and still wearing the same clothes.   

Edited by shawthorne44
  • Like 6

First thing in the morning but I don't think it really matters. I think the more important thing is to be consistent. Weight will vary a bit over the day for everyone, there is no one "true weight". It doesn't matter that much if your weight is 125 or 126. Consistency only matters if trying to track weight, otherwise it's not really that important what the exact number is. 

• Like 4

I have a friend that weighs herself daily. She claims it really helped her.

She said it didn't matter when you weighed yourself-as long as you were consistent. Pick a time and stick with it.

If first thing in the morning works for you, do it then. After lunch? Before super? Right before bed? All are fine-just weigh at the same time each day. (Weighing before breakfast one day and immediately after supper the next will skew your results)

I also weigh myself daily (more or less) and find it very helpful. I also write it down. Sometimes I weigh more than once a day (after exercise, for example, because that often boosts my confidence) but that first number is my "official" number for the day.

I agree that it's more important to be consistent about time, but I usually weigh the least first thing in the morning so I take whatever advantage I can get!

• Like 1

Always first thing in the morning. For the majority of my weight loss I have weighed in the same day (Friday) as soon as I wake up. Now that the weight is coming off more slowly I weigh in every few days (or like I am now) weighing in every morning. Helps keep me accountable when the scale isn't moving like it used to.

• Like 1

I weigh daily, first thing in the morning. Naked. I have kept a graph of my daily weight for the last 3 months.  It is interesting to see how losing weight is not a steady down hill, but ups and downs in a general down-hill pattern.  

I think the time of day doesn't matter, as long as you keep it consistent - every evening before bed.  Every day at noon.  What ever it is, keep it the same in roughly the same clothes/non-clothes,  and track it over time.  I'm not sure that one weight means anything.  Up two pounds today? not a big deal if I was down yesterday.  Up two pounds today and another pound tomorrow and maybe one more is a dangerous trend!  Seeing patterns is where you get the real information.  

I weigh myself first thing before getting in the shower (wet hair weighs more). I even make sure to take my glasses off first. Silly, huh?

I'd have to bend down and hug the floor to see the scale without my glasses on.  That said, they probably do add a few ounces.

I figured that the norm would be first thing in the morning.  I will continue with that time and use it as the reminder that I have to eat that day.  I've been suffering from lack of appetite for a little longer then my normal bouts and my weight is slipping too much.

• Like 2

After I get up for the morning, after using the potty, before drinking or eating anything. That is my "official" weight for the day. I often will reweigh later just to see what is happening, but it is that one weight that I "count" and enter into my phone app. Now, sometimes that backfires. I got up at 4am with the 3 year old and weighed myself then out of habit after using the bathroom, and it was 157.8. But after going back to sleep and getting up at 7 it was 158.1. I will record the 158.1 because that is the one that I took at the normal time. 

• Like 1

I've never owned a scale.  

:0)

However, while I was gone last week, all my pants shrank.  

THAT's how I know I need to pay some attention to my eating.  Bleah.