Menu

nickname help for baby

EmilyGF

Nickname for baby  

107 members have voted

1. 1. What should Elizabeth Grace go by?

• Beth
    • Elspeth (hubby said this is growing on him?)
    • Lizzie
    • Bess
    • Zibby
    • Betsy
    • Other
  2. 2. If she goes by anything with "liz" in it (including Elizabeth), she will end up "Liz" as an adult.

• Yes
    • No

My favorite nicknames for Elizabeth are Lizzie and Libby.

If she goes by Lizzie, she will probably end up being a Liz. If she goes by Elizabeth, I do not think she will automatically end up as Liz. I have several Elizabeths in my life and unless they give out a nickname, people call them by their full name.

I actually like Liz.

Elspeth sounds like a mispronunciation or a lisp.

I voted for Lizzy out of the options. I think Elizabeth Grace is so pretty though. I think I would try to just call her Elizabeth and then call her Elizabeth Grace every once in a while. If you do come up with a nickname it will come naturally, even if you cant decide on anything right now.

My daughter, Rosalie, has always been called Rose the majority of the time. My son, Nathan, on the other hand has always been called Nathan. We did call him "Nay-Nay" for short up until about preschool age. I was determined that he wouldn't be called Nate though as I never liked it. We have never, ever called him this and no one else has either, *except* for a lovely uncle and ex sister in law that took it upon themselves to call him Nate. Luckily, we see them...never...so it doesn't matter, lol. My son, Benjamin, was always going to be called Benjamin. I realized after he was born though that it took sooo long to say Benjamin :lol:. I threw around every nn in my head including Benson, Benton and finally he has just been Benny. I hated it at first, but it is so cute now for him. I will always introduce him as Benjamin though and that will be what other people will call him (unless he decides differently).

Congrats on your new little one!

Congratulations! 

I don't think that Elizabeth is the type of name that needs a nickname, so I would wait until someone comes up with one that you really love, and that suits her. I have a niece named Elizabeth who goes by Eli, which fits her personality perfectly, and most of the other nicknames for Elizabeth would be too cute/girly for her. 

:hurray: Not sure how to vote, but I like both Liz and Beth.  I had two Elizabeth friends in high school and one went by Liz and the other by Beth, parents and grandparents called them Lizzie and Bethie as littles and occasionally later.  I'd choose Lizzie over Bethie, but like Liz and Beth.  Oh, and I love Elizabeth and wouldn't want a nickname, but they happen :hurray: .

Congratulations on your new baby! Elizabeth Grace is a lovely name. My two older girls have one of each for their middle names. My Elizabeth is a huge Elizabeth Bennett fan and asked if we named her after her. If Elizabeth were her first name, we would have been predisposed to Lizzie because of P & P.

• Like 1

Love this name! It was a shortlist contender for our newborn. The nickname issue was what pulled it off the block.

I would call her Elizabeth, but plan for a nickname. With a name like "Elizabeth," people are going to GIVE her a nickname. It's too impossible not to do so, given the amount of names available, and the frequency with which the name is shortened. 

I personally love "Eliza," which is why we didn't get an Elizabeth, as DH thinks Eliza sounds like witch (???).

I do think that people can change nicknames pretty easily as they mature into adulthood. There are natural transitions (college, workplace) in which name changes can occur. One friend has transitioned to "Elizabeth" from "LIz," and I have to say that seeing her name on my Facebook feed reiterates her new name. (Then again, other friends remain forever "Cathy" and "Kristy," so who knows??!)

• Like 1

It doesn't matter. She'll one day pick an entirely different name and before you know it, only family is calling her whatever you chose now. I say call her Elizabeth and wait for a natural nickname to emerge.

Ignore me. I have teenagers. Neither goes by their given name.

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 1

I'm rather partial to Betsy as a nickname for Elizabeth and I also think that Beth and Liz are nice. But if it was me I would probably wait awhile and see what she "feels" like; it's likely that as you get to know her one nickname will stand out as the one that fits her perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another vote for no nickname right now (unless it is completely unrelated). 

I love the name Elizabeth, but perhaps I am a bit biased. I was supposed to be an Elizabeth except my mom was convinced I'd be too dumb to spell it until 3rd grade.  :lol: