Menu

Oh Amazon...

UCF612

We had a package arrive at our door that was addressed to the previous owner.  Clearly they just made a mistake in the shipping address (I did the exact same thing at Christmas!).  I contacted Amazon to tell them that I had received a package not meant for me.  I asked how to resolve this and sent to the tracking number that was on the outside of the box.  They replied that they couldn't find my order information.  I wrote back that I hadn't ordered anything, I had received someone else's order by mistake.  I opened the box (thinking there would be a packing slip with an order #, there wasn't) and told them the item inside (a fancy clipboard) and the person's name who is on the box.  

They then replied back with this (a portion I snipped from the email, the rest was just "we're so sorry" lines)...

Due to the circumstances surrounding your order, I'd like know how you would like us to proceed. I'd like to offer you these options: 

1. If you're interested in keeping the item, a refund of $67.15, which is 15% off the price. To accept this refund, let us know and we'll issue the refund to your credit card. 

2. You may return the entire set for full refund and then place a new order with One-Day shipping from Amazon retailer. Kindly write back to us with the order number and we will either waive off or refund the shipping charges completely to your credit card 

3. We'll replace the entire set for you at no charge--you need to return the item back after replacement. 

Please click on the requested information link below and let us know which option you'd prefer so we can take care of it for you. 

One of the benefits we try very hard to offer our customers is convenience. I'm very sorry for the inconvenience you experienced. 

I'm sorry for asking you to write back with option you prefer. But please keep in mind that we're requesting this, so that we can assist you in a right way without providing any incorrect resolution. 

WHAT?  They are clearly NOT reading anything I've said.  So what do I do? I don't have a forwarding address for the previous owner. 

• Like 1

Call them. There are things they cannot do for you online that they can do if you call. (E.g., once we got a package that was for us but had no idea who might've sent it & there was no paper inside; when I read them the numbers from the outside of the box, they could tell me who had ordered it.)

NM- cross-posted!

Edited by whitehawk
  • Like 1

I just did the chat feature. It was FAR more helpful. They told me to keep the item and they would take care of it. Hopefully a second one doesn't arrive in a few days!

Good! This is what I was going to suggest. I used the chat feature before when I received two shipments of the same thing. I wasn't charged twice, I just basically received a free additional item and I didn't know how to proceed.

Oh boy I didn't even think about it being illegal to open. They asked what the product was and I hadn't opened it until then.

And I'm completely clueless where they got that price! I looked the clipboard up and it was like $20. I haven't ordered anything at that price (at 15 per off) so I don't know where he got that number.

I definitely learned not to email them. Call or chat only!

Oh boy I didn't even think about it being illegal to open. They asked what the product was and I hadn't opened it until then.

And I'm completely clueless where they got that price! I looked the clipboard up and it was like $20. I haven't ordered anything at that price (at 15 per off) so I don't know where he got that number.

That's minor compared to what I did once. I accidentally opened someone else's mail and it was a credit card... they had been sent the new one because the old had been compromised. I felt awful!! Maybe the fact that we returned it to the right person made them feel it was safe to use or maybe they canceled it all over again. I don't know.

I wonder if the price was for a bundle delivered to different addresses.

Every time I have had an email interaction with Amazon, it is has been like having a conversation with the twilight zone.

I think they've outsourced to Artificial Intelligence. It's beyond language barrier weird. The chat sometimes can be stilted and I give up and try for someone else, but email is always terrible.

• Like 3

Aw, man.  I'm really disappointed I don't get to see an over $67 clipboard.

Since the other options talked about "the entire set" I'm guessing $67 at 15% off includes other things than just the clipboard.  But that makes it really weird that the clipboard came to your address, but the other things in the set didn't.

Aw, man. I'm really disappointed I don't get to see an over $67 clipboard.

Since the other options talked about "the entire set" I'm guessing $67 at 15% off includes other things than just the clipboard. But that makes it really weird that the clipboard came to your address, but the other things in the set didn't.

I know! How lame is my Friday night that I was looking forward to a photo of a clipboard???

• Like 11

we live in a very small county, and there was one day my husband received a package. It was a beautiful $500 necklace. Yeah, that wasn't ours . We checked the address: right name, wrong address. We never even considered it was illegal. We didn't just checked the name-and we were expecting a package that day.

• Like 1

You have to do it on purpose with the intent to obstruct, and it has to be USPS. Another carrier's package delivered to your residence doesn't fall under the Postal codes. You were also told to open it by the sender! The helicopters will not come for you. ;)

• Like 7

Was one of your last Amazon orders somewhere around $67 with or without the 15%? Last time I had to complain about their shipping, they randomly credited my account with $34 and change. Which was the amount of my last order. The item I was grumping about was only $19, but for some reason, the rep said their system wouldn't let them credit me for that item, so they credited me the full amount of my prior order and extended my Prime a month. I think they work within the system they're given - all I wanted was my order to come with the 2 day shipping they promised, so the extra month of prime + $34 seemed overkill to me, but I didn't complain.

I'd be interested to know how much money they lose on crazy things happening or purely miscommunication with their non English speaking reps.

I have no idea where they got that price or the mention of it being a set. I looked at my last couple orders and they were all $20 or less.

My dad assured me I hadn't broken any laws by opening it. He said it wasn't federal mail. Whew. I would not do well in prison. :)

• Like 4

You are trying to do "the right" thing.    Your message to Amazon was either read by someone who does not understand U.S. English, and/or clicked very quickly, without thinking about what you had written.  Possibly try one more time. I would begin with "Please forward this message to someone who understands U.S. English"

"The $67 Clipboard" 

(cue in theme song)

Clip Board (in a track suit and being monitored by instruments and scientists) hanging on tenaciously on a bouncing treadmill.

Oscar:  We can rebuild him ... better, stronger, clippier!

• Like 2

I've found the have them call you feature is best.  Because otherwise you get someone in India who doesn't have a sense of basic reasoning.  I don't know if it's a cultural difference, or a matter of them having a graduate degree and the best job they can get is a low level customer service thing so they don't care, but no one in India has EVER HELPED ME.  And they all act as if you are stupid for pointing out that Amazon is wrong because to them, Amazon is never wrong. They do NOT understand the customer is probably right thing that is assumed here.

Seriously, I don't know why Amazon doesn't just have a FAQ service for common questions and use Americans.  People would be far more satisfied.

I normally ask to speak to managers/supervisors to clean up. I would not rely on someone who says they will take care of it.

Now, they might or they may be blowing you off. I'd speak to someone in charge and ask that person to keep you updated that the

person was indeed contacted and the issue resolved.

Am I the only one who read that the $67 refund was 15% off the original price of something that was a set?  Meaning they were confusing the clipboard situation with one where something was missing from the set and their response was to refund 15% of the original price of $446. 

No way I would open someone else's package, BTW.