Menu

What foods do you make when you fly?

MEmama

How does one keep cheese / yogurt cool?

(I'm looking at a long international flight soon).

I freeze my yogurt then it just thaws out. 

For longer hauls, a protein bar and an apple.

I don't take bananas because they smush up and smell.

I definitely try to only have quiet and non-smelley foods with me.  I have spent TOO MANY flights tortured by the sounds and smells others feel uninhibited about.  

• Like 1

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eating a sandwich on a plane is quick and usually they don't have a strong odor

Either you want me to eat the sandwich or minimize bathroom visits. Pick one, because this, unfortunately, is an oxymoron. Sandwich = NEEDED bathroom visits. Quickly. Or the consequences are not prettt.

Most people who bring sandwiches on board will eat during boarding and be finished by the time the tray tables have to be up in order to leave the gate. At this point in time, the air is still circulating with the outside air as well, so odors dissipate more rapidly than they do in flight.

Some of the items listed rank really high on the odor scale: hard boiled eggs and salmon, for example. Walnuts are a potential allergen (others have addressed that, so I won't elaborate).

Tray tables on planes are really small - that's why airline food comes in those tiny portions and packages. Eating several different full sized items on a plane would take a considerable amount of time - take the lid off of the salad, eat the salad, put away the salad, take the wrap out, eat the wrap, but the trash away, take out the fruit, eat the fruit, put the trash from that away. That is also an incredible amount of motion and noise if you are the one sitting next to the person trying to get some sleep or even just to quietly read. Bumping elbows with strangers is not a great way to spend a flight. Have you ever really watched someone else eat? Even with good manners, it isn't an appealing thing to do. Now, imagine having that person in your peripheral vision without having the option to move away from the sights, sounds & smells. Yuck!

It's life. Suck it up.

Flying can be incredibly stressful. I realize that for many, it's a feature of a vacation, but for most people on a given airplane, they are there because they need to be there. Some people have been flying for hours and need to sleep. Some people have been awake for hours and need to sleep.

Some have been flying for hours and need food. Others just woke up due to time zone changes and need food.

Others are working. People are from many different cultures and time zones and they are all together for a limited amount of time. I think it's the right thing to do to be courteous of your fellow passengers. Minimizing noise, odors and other disruptions, such as bathroom breaks, is part of being courteous. I find it strange that, generally speaking, people who insist that they have special dietary needs, impose so much on other people. A life threatening allergy is one thing, but eating a hard boiled egg over the provided bag of pretzels is usually a preference,

No. It's really, really not. Just because a reaction may be invisible to you, it is not a preference. I'd prefer to eat whatever the hell I wanted, never have to read a label, and chow down anything that is provided at parties or on the plane, actually.

not a need. If one is in really in need of a hard boiled egg, then eat it at the gate, not on the plane. There are other foods that don't have such a strong odor that have similar nutritional benefits, so pick one of those to eat on the plane if you can't work around timing.

For me, it comes down to being kind and courteous of your fellow travelers.

Then how about offering grace and the benefit of doubt that they do what they gotta do and it is NOT discourteous to you that they brought their own food, be it a 7 course meal or a snack.

In the context of air travel, eating appropriately is on par with not taking up more than your share of overhead space, not kicking the seat in front of you and boarding as quickly as possible.

There is no such thing as appropriately beyond avoiding anaphylactic foods of fellow travelers. The rest is, quite simply, just your preference, not a need. Edited by fraidycat
  • Like 4

Is that allowed? I'd think it'd be considered a liquid.

A little more detail will help us answer your question. If your snacks are pretzels, potato chips, dried fruit or other dry goods, you can take them in your carry-on or checked bag. Snack items that are liquids or gels, like pudding, jello or yogurt, etc., falls under the 3-1-1 rules for liquids for carry-on bags. They can be transported in checked bags.

The 3-1-1 rule for liquids is: you may carry liquids, gels and aerosols in your carry-on bags only if they are in containers 3.4 ounces or less; packed in a 1 quart/liter zip-top bag; and 1 zip-top bag per person. Larger amounts of non-medicinal liquids, gels, and aerosols must be placed in checked baggage.

• Like 3

Eating a sandwich on a plane is quick and usually they don't have a strong odor. Most people who bring sandwiches on board will eat during boarding and be finished by the time the tray tables have to be up in order to leave the gate. At this point in time, the air is still circulating with the outside air as well, so odors dissipate more rapidly than they do in flight. 

Some of the items listed rank really high on the odor scale: hard boiled eggs and salmon, for example. Walnuts are a potential allergen (others have addressed that, so I won't elaborate). 

Tray tables on planes are really small - that's why airline food comes in those tiny portions and packages. Eating several different full sized items on a plane would take a considerable amount of time - take the lid off of the salad, eat the salad, put away the salad, take the wrap out, eat the wrap, but the trash away, take out the fruit, eat the fruit, put the trash from that away. That is also an incredible amount of motion and noise if you are the one sitting next to the person trying to get some sleep or even just to quietly read. Bumping elbows with strangers is not a great way to spend a flight. Have you ever really watched someone else eat? Even with good manners, it isn't an appealing thing to do. Now, imagine having that person in your peripheral vision without having the option to move away from the sights, sounds & smells. Yuck! 

A life threatening allergy is one thing, but eating a hard boiled egg over the provided bag of pretzels is usually a preference, not a need. If one is in really in need of a hard boiled egg, then eat it at the gate, not on the plane. There are other foods that don't have such a strong odor that have similar nutritional benefits, so pick one of those to eat on the plane if you can't work around timing. 

Not for someone with reactive hypglycemia.  One is a high protein, low glycemic food.  The other is high glycemic, low protein food.  I can't eat the pretzels without a high protein food to go with it.  Or, I will have a serious blood sugar crash a couple of hours later.  Not just the "hangries" but cognitive impairment, and passing out.  

Dd and I had our clementines threatened for being "liquids."  We had time to step out of security and eat them.  I could not fathom throwing them out.  

Scratching my head trying to figure out how one would make an explosive device with clementines.  :lol:

• Like 5

Not for someone with reactive hypglycemia.  One is a high protein, low glycemic food.  The other is high glycemic, low protein food.  I can't eat the pretzels without a high protein food to go with it.  Or, I will have a serious blood sugar crash a couple of hours later.  Not just the "hangries" but cognitive impairment, and passing out.  

Oh definitely.  Eating a skimpy bag of pretzels to satisfy for several hours is just not going to cut it.

• Like 3

I have not flown since before DS was born.  I knew before this thread that his peanut and tree nut allergies would be an issue if we should ever venture to fly with him, but until today I had never even considered his severe egg allergy complete with contact reactions would be an issue on a flight!  :eek:  :willy_nilly:  :svengo:

I have not flown since before DS was born.  I knew before this thread that his peanut and tree nut allergies would be an issue if we should ever venture to fly with him, but until today I had never even considered his severe egg allergy complete with contact reactions would be an issue on a flight!  :eek:  :willy_nilly:  :svengo:

I've been on flights where they served peanuts.  If someone is so deathly allergic they cannot be anywhere near peanuts, I assume they'd have to make special arrangements.  I'm sure that is a pain, but really since anything could cause an allergy in someone it is impossible to avoid bringing something that could cause problems.

I don't think I'm a rude jerk generally speaking, but damn I don't overthink this stuff.  At that rate I'd never leave the house.

• Like 1

I've been on flights where they served peanuts.  If someone is so deathly allergic they cannot be anywhere near peanuts, I assume they'd have to make special arrangements.  I'm sure that is a pain, but really since anything could cause an allergy in someone it is impossible to avoid bringing something that could cause problems.

I don't think I'm a rude jerk generally speaking, but damn I don't overthink this stuff.  At that rate I'd never leave the house.

I wasn't expecting anyone to overthink it.  That would be my responsibility as a parent of a child with sever allergies.  I was just commenting that other people eating hard boiled eggs on flight was something I had never really considered.   The peanut issue has to this point always been enough to keep us off of planes.  But there may come a time when we need to (or would like to) fly somewhere, and now I know I would have to plan for the possibility of egg reactions, as well. 

• Like 1

I wasn't expecting anyone to overthink it.  That would be my responsibility as a parent of a child with sever allergies.  I was just commenting that other people eating hard boiled eggs on flight was something I had never really considered.   The peanut issue has to this point always been enough to keep us off of planes.  But there may come a time when we need to (or would like to) fly somewhere, and now I know I would have to plan for the possibility of egg reactions, as well. 

I wasn't really directing it at you, but I guess I did quote you.  LOL

I'm flabbergasted that this is some sort of issue (that people bring and eat food on airplanes).

• Like 2

If someone near me told me they had an allergy, I'd just not eat the offending food. His life would be more important.

If someone near me pulled out a strong smelling food that bothered me, then I'd have to get over it. I wouldn't say anything to them or act offended. I would beg forgiveness when my overactive gag reflex kicked in because I probably wouldn't make it to the bathroom.

• Like 2

I haven't flown much lately, but I would hope if anyone is anaphylactic to ANTHING that there would be a general announcement made BEFORE people broke into their nutty granola bars, or citrus or WHATEVER could be potentially deadly. I had no idea that anyone was anaphylactic to oranges. I'm trying to figure out how I missed that one. Is it as common as peanut allergies?

I'm assuming not, since I've not met another person (irl) with the same issue.  There is a child at my daughter's school with the same problem.  I know this because a whole wing of the school is designated citrus free.

Edited by Upward Journey

Scratching my head trying to figure out how one would make an explosive device with clementines.  :lol:

I tried explaining that they were each under 3oz (and not really liquid) but was told that since they were not labeled with the weight and not in a quart-sized plastic bag, we could not bring them on.  I considered getting creative with a Sharpie and tucking them in my bag with my toiletries, but decided against it.  Ironically, it was well after we arrived at our destination and I was unpacking when I discovered I had accidentally carried a lighter and liquid hand sanitizer (NOT in the quart-sized bag) deep in my purse that did not get flagged.  

• Like 2

Thought I'd just throw this in here ... every airline ticket purchase is subject to the airline's contract of carriage.  The contract usually give wide interpretive powers to its staff about what's "malodorous," or an "unreasonable annoyance."  So there's your tacit agreement to the expectation of a reasonable level of annoyance on every flight.  If you are sensitive to ______, it's up to you to notify the airline before you buy the ticket that you're sensitive to ______ to ask if it's a reasonable expectation to be guaranteed freedom from _______.  (If I had such an issue, I'd be sure to only ask in writing.) They will determine if they can carry you.  Like if you're allergic to water, or you can only to eat in total silence or darkness, they cannot carry you.  If you spring this on them during the flight and then insist, or worse -- escalate your demands that no passengers drink or interact with water or sit in total silence or darkness while you eat, your demands will probably be seem as something worse than an unreasonable annoyance to fellow passengers.  It will be something like interfering with the flight crew's performance of duty and well ... the rest you read on CNN about some passenger becoming unruly and having to turn the plane around.  Really nobody wants that.

• Like 1

Also, given how strict the TSA can be, I don't even think I would want to hassle with preparing food at home to take on a flight. Sounds like an awful lot of work for something that you could be made to throw out. Food allergies and other medical issues excluded, one day of eating semi-crappy Subway sandwiches or other airport fare isn't a big deal. 

• Like 1

Also, given how strict the TSA can be, I don't even think I would want to hassle with preparing food at home to take on a flight. Sounds like an awful lot of work for something that you could be made to throw out. Food allergies and other medical issues excluded, one day of eating semi-crappy Subway sandwiches or other airport fare isn't a big deal.

I assume that most people who go through the trouble do have "other medical issues" or allergies. Most do not create extra work for themselves for $hit$ and giggles.

• Like 1

I have never heard of anyone cooking food to take on a flight.  Even when we flew to Japan with a 5yo, we only took snacks and that was 24+ of flying. 

At 14 I throw a few cliff bars in his bag for the flight or after.  But usually we just eat at the airport and then maybe buy some fun snacks in the terminal.  Often it's fun things that are specialty or stuff that you don't find other places.  The nice thing about airports is you can do a sit down meal all the way to quick grab and go sandwiches, whatever your timeframe/layover allows.   And now even if they aren't serving food on flights, on a lot of flights you can buy snacks if you need more food. 

• Like 2

Also be sure to NEVER drink plane water (or coffee or tea) unless it come from a bottle. It's just really gross.

Gross in what way?  I suspect that the plane's catering facilities are inspected for health and safety.  It's hard to make boiling water (tea and coffee) gross.

Now I can imagine that it doesn't taste great....

• Like 3

When I travel for my job, I have a small cooler that I use as one of my carry-ons.  Yes, I cook specifically to bring as much food with me as possible. I eat low-carb-high-fat and it is a combination of difficult, time-consuming, and expensive to get appropriate food while traveling.  I will cook an entire flank steak, slice it thinly, and then freeze it before packing.  Low carb cheesecakes or pumpkin custards would be considered liquids/gels but I've had these examined by security and allowed to go through because I've frozen them.  The frozen foods then help keep the rest of the food cold.  Cheese is great to pack; the wax covered Babybels are especially convenient because they can be tossed in any ol' carryon and easily stay good for a day or so without chilling.   Raw veggies are also packed. Boiled eggs always go with me, but those are for quick breakfasts at the hotel.

I've been stranded in airports with travel delays enough times, once even overnight, to not count on always being able to buy food.  Those places CLOSE at a certain hour, even if I could find appropriate food and was willing to pay.

• Like 3

Gross in what way? I suspect that the plane's catering facilities are inspected for health and safety. It's hard to make boiling water (tea and coffee) gross.

Now I can imagine that it doesn't taste great....

The tanks aren't cleaned regularly and have high concentrations of bacteria. This is *after* the EPA ordered the airlines to clean it up. Don't ever fill a water bottle from the restroom sink as that isn't even intended to be potable.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/investigations/EPA-Tests-Show-High-Percentage-of-Airplanes-Still-Have-Bacteria-in-Water-Served-On-Board-226813491.html

http://m.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/airplane-drinking-water-frequently-contaminated-report-article-1.1479512

The tanks aren't cleaned regularly and have high concentrations of bacteria. This is *after* the EPA ordered the airlines to clean it up. Don't ever fill a water bottle from the restroom sink as that isn't even intended to be potable.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/investigations/EPA-Tests-Show-High-Percentage-of-Airplanes-Still-Have-Bacteria-in-Water-Served-On-Board-226813491.html

http://m.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/airplane-drinking-water-frequently-contaminated-report-article-1.1479512

It wouldn't occur to me to fill a bottle in a loo basin. I'm pretty casual about germs, but that's not a happy mix. I would never assume that the water was potable.

Otherwise: I'm happy with what is served to me. The article I read says that the water for boiling came out of the tanks. Fine by me.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 2

I think this is an ethical situation of, whoever has the highest need deserves the most consideration. Someone who has two connections with very little time between legs should plan to pack nutritious meals to get through the long day. Someone with a medical condition should do likewise. But a healthy teen or adult can make it through a 3-5 hour flight without two complete home cooked meals. In that case, the general comfort level of the other passengers should take precedence. I can imagine the mess and trash involved if even half the people on board brought two complete meals to eat on board a flight.

• Like 2

It wouldn't occur to me to fill a bottle in a loo basin. I'm pretty casual about germs, but that's not a happy mix. I would never assume that the water was potable.

Otherwise: I'm happy with what is served to me. I've lived in some pretty grotty places though.

Lol, point taken. The sink water thing was more of a general PSA. I could see someone thinking, "bathroom sink, kitchen galley...it's all the same thing" The articles are addressing the high levels of bacteria in the water in the galleys. Let's just say it's not suitable for mixing up infant formula or feeding to someone with a compromised immune system. Edited by Barb_

I suspect that as I have lived in developing countries, I have keener antennae for what water is likely to be potable.

That is an accurate statement.

ETA after the fact,

Those who have lived in developing countries are more likely to have the guy bacteria in place to deal with it

Edited by Barb_
  • Like 2

I didn't know that about the water from the bathroom sink. I see people brushing their teeth in the bathrooms at O'Hare all the time. I'm sure dd brushed her teeth when she landed in Tokyo, and my sisters and I did when we landed in Rome.   I guess I won't be doing that again!

Actually there are relatively few foods that can cause allergic reaction/anaphylaxis just from being airborne. Peanuts and tree nuts are the only things I've heard of.

I would be willing to bet that they make arrangements for peanut/nut free flights if notified.

Yup, they will, at least as far as serving them, but they can't guarantee that other passengers won't bring them aboard etc.

For example, Southwest: https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/unique-travel-needs/customers-with-disabilities-pol.html

I didn't know that about the water from the bathroom sink. I see people brushing their teeth in the bathrooms at O'Hare all the time. I'm sure dd brushed her teeth when she landed in Tokyo, and my sisters and I did when we landed in Rome. I guess I won't be doing that again!

The airport bathrooms are fine. It's the planes that have problems.

I suspect that as I have lived in developing countries, I have keener antennae for what water is likely to be potable.

I don't know if it was the article the pp posted, but I just read an article on the whole plane water issue.  Apparently the hoses that put water into the plane, and the hose that takes waste out of the plane are located right next to each other and there is often contamination.  The thing about the coffee and tea as the water doesn't get hot enough to kill off what might have made it into the tanks.  

But they were saying to never brush your teeth in with the plane bathroom water and bring bottled water to mix formula. 

Knowing some of the places you have lived and traveled, you are one of the last people I would worry about plane water affecting. LOL!  

But others with virgin GI systems may want to take precautions!  

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

There is a big difference between an airplane and a train. Space and air quality are two of the biggest that come to mind. On an airplane, you will be sitting less than two feet from at least four total strangers. Depending on the layout of the plane, you could be even closer, if you share a row, you will be at most, two inches from them. In other words, these people are already in your personal space and you are in theirs. Flying is uncomfortable enough without being exposed to unpleasant food smells and the constant sound of food wrappers, chewing, etc.. Then, he is going to need to go to the bathroom. How many people will he have to climb over to get out of your row? Is he going to wake them up if they are sleeping? What if he isn't allowed out of the seat due to turbulence? He will be very uncomfortable.

Your 13 year old will not starve. Starving is when there is no food available. You have ready access to food. Your child isn't starving.

FWIW, yes, I do think about these things when preparing to fly. Thinking of others is just the right thing to do. My husband takes long flights and often is flying for 24 hours at a time. Plan your schedule so that you get meals, either in flight or in the airport. Dh eats an extremely healthy diet and can always find something to eat. It may not be ideal, cereal for dinner for example, but what he chooses is healthy. Seeing as he runs an average of four miles a day, and then walks enough during the day until he gets to ten miles total, I doubt your son could be any hungrier than my husband is.

At most, pack a box of protein bars and call it good.

This makes no sense to me. Airplanes serve food on flights. It's just that it isn't always the best food nutritionally or for allergies. 

• Like 1

We usually go to World Market and get whatever snacks and candy look good.

On our last flight dh ordered a tuna lunch kit from the airline. OMWord it stunk. We all survived. If the airline isn't worried about the smell, well then, neither am I.

Edited by Miss Peregrine
  • Like 1