Menu

Book a Week 2016 - BW5: February Safari

Robin M

Good morning, dear hearts! This is the beginning of week 5 in our quest to read 52 books.  Welcome back to all our readers, to those just joining in and all who are following our progress.  Mr. Linky is all set up on the 52 Books blog to link to your reviews. The link is also below in my signature.

52 Books Blog - February Safari:  Welcome to February Safari and our author flavors of the month:  E.M. Forster and Karen Blixen.  We are continuing our travels, sailing around the Indian Ocean, stopping in various ports of call. I'm still in India at the moment and looking forward to experiencing 1920's India through Forster's eyes in A Passage to India.  At some point this month, we'll weigh anchor and sail  to Africa to spend a bit of time exploring African colonialism with Blixen's Memoir Out of Africa.  It would also be interesting to compare the books to the movies so be sure to check out both on Amazon or Netflix. 

I have another special guest post for you this week.  Jane offered to lead the discussion this month as she has a special affinity for E.M. Forster.  So, without further ado, here is Jane to tell us all about him.

I suggest that the only books that influence us are those for which we are ready, and which have gone a little further down our particular path than we have yet gone ourselves. ~  E.M. Forster

Thirty years ago or so, a friend placed a book in my hand I had not read before, A Passage to India. I recognized the author’s name, but that was it. She had discovered the book via a film version of it released the previous year in 1984. What neither she nor I realized was that she had introduced me to a man whose words would resonate for years to come and whose social satires would bring amusement while giving me pause. 

Forster was born to middle class parents in London in 1879.  Although his father died before his second birthday, a life of relative luxury was assured via an inheritance from an aunt.  Forster attended Cambridge, became a writer, and toured the continent with his mother. His travels certainly influenced his writing.

Forster’s first published novel was Where Angels Fear to Tread.  Like A Room with a View, the novel is set in Italy and concerns a time when people did not flit off to the continent for a long weekend but often a season of travel.  In Forster’s novels, we often find English people who are interested in seeing other places and in learning about other cultures, but are convinced of their own moral and intellectual superiority. 

If I were reading Forster for the first time, I would either start with A Passage to India or Howards End. Both are beautiful books.  A Passage to India draws on Forster’s own experiences on the sub-continent where he served as private secretary to the Maharajah of Dewas, an experience he relates in his memoir The Hills of DeviA Passage to India is the book that I will be rereading and hope to discuss in more detail throughout the month.

Howards End may be the best choice for Austen fans who are ready to step forward into the early 20th century.  The story concerns the intertwining lives of three families:  one of modern aristocrats (i.e. the new capitalists), one intellectual (and perhaps a tad Bohemian) and one impoverished.  Those who seek a tale of redemption will find comfort at Howards End

Forster’s point of view is so interesting to me.  He writes as an outsider looking in and questioning conventions of the time; yet he has knowledge of the inside view so his perspective is not naïve or one-dimensional.  It has been speculated that Forster’s insight comes from his own position as a homosexual peering into conventional society.  What is apparent is that he is prepared to bring hypocrisy to the forefront—sometimes gently with humor, other times with rage or with a passion that moves this reader to tears.

I have not read Maurice, a novel that Forster did not want published in his lifetime.  It is a same-sex romance, written in the early twentieth century but not published until 1971.  Forster did not attempt to have the book published while he was alive.

While researching information on Forster for this introduction, I learned that he also penned the libretto for Benjamin Britten’s opera of Billy Budd.  I have not watched this but a 1966 BBC version is available 

For February I have pulled my copy of A Passage to India from the shelf. On the inside cover I wrote “gift from Edith, 8/85â€.  Edith left this world too early but those years here were well spent.  I am so glad that she gave me this book! 

Come join me this month as we venture into the Marabar Caves to see how we shall be transformed. 

We are also starting the History of the Renaissance World by Susan Wise Bauer and will begin this week with Chapter One and Two. 

What are you reading this week?

Link to week 4 

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 22

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm currently reading The Martian by Andy Weir, listening to Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets with James.

Next up is One Hundred Years of Solitude for literature class.   I have A Passage to India and Out of Africa on my nightstand 

Also reading a book on essays by writers -- Telling True Stories: A Nonfiction Writers' Guide from the Nieman Foundation at Harvard University, edited by Mark Kramer and Wendy Call.

• Like 20

Private Life by Josep Maria de Sagarra was a little slow going for me initially.  This is a new Archipelago edition of a Catalan classic from 1932, a tale of declining aristocrats in a time of change in Europe.  At this point there are no sympathetic characters which probably accounts for the slow start.  But I am now sufficiently intrigued.

Reading Private Life reminded me of a supposed exchange between Fitzgerald and Hemingway with the former saying "The rich are different than you and me."  Hem responded, "Yeah, they have more money." But Scott was right in this case. Europe was changing radically in the early 20th century (as witnessed weekly by American viewers of Downton Abbey ;) ).  I sometimes wonder if things have changed all that much.  Titles may not mean much these days but a friend who teaches at a private middle school (tuition more than most private colleges) attended by children of hedge fund managers and the like--the uber-rich or 1 percent, whatever you want to call them--sees a new version the tale.  She tells me that some, certainly not all, have the attitude that money buys not only stuff but can be used to influence decisions others make regarding their children.  In Private Life we have people who once influenced with their wallets but no longer have their financial resources.  Nonetheless they presume that they have greater privileges by nature of who they once were.  (In my small Southern town universe, I have met people who have been annoyed that the incomers fail to recognize family status on the basis of what the family once was in the 19th century.) It is all rather fascinating...

I have started my reread of A Passage to India and hope some of you will be joining in Forster February!

And I am savoring the essays by Charles D'Ambrosio in Loitering.

Reading so far this year:

7) Along the Ganges, Ilija Trojanow, 2011; translated from the German by the author with Ranjit Hoskote; Non-fiction (travel)

6) Mr. Gwyn & Three Times at Dawn, Alessandro Baricco, 2014; translated from the Italian by Ann Goldstein; Fiction

5) Jar City, Arnaldin Indridasen, 2004; translated from the Icelandic by Bernard Scadder; Fiction (police procedural)

4) The World and Me, Ta-Nehisi Coates, 2015; Non-fiction

3) Come, Tell Me How You Live, Agatha Christie Mallowan, 1946; Non-fiction (memoir)

2) Unincorporated Persons in the Late Honda Dynasty, Tony Hoagland, 2010; Poetry

1) To Siberia, Per Petterson, 1996; translated from the Norwegian by Anne Born; Fiction.

• Like 17

I read Mrs. Bridge - 5 Stars - I loved this book – my first 5-star read of 2016! I finished the last few pages sitting in the car while waiting for my son to buy lunch and was almost in tears. I came home and started telling my husband about it and then, of course, I was sobbing.

It’s a perfect read, impeccably written, and unique. The chapters are short and a pleasure to get through. They’re more like vignettes than chapters. Parts of it are funny, other parts are heartbreaking. It’s a perfectly observed story of an upper-middle class American woman in the suburban Midwest before World War II. All in all, it’s a simple and subtle read. Nothing incredible or major happens. No huge plot twists and turns. Yet it has profound depth and is incredibly insightful.

I plan on reading “Mr. Bridge†very soon, which is meant to be read after this one, I believe. It was published ten years later. I just remembered that both books were made into a movie with Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward. I haven’t seen it and am not sure if I will. 

9781582435688.jpg

MY RATING SYSTEM

5 Stars

Fantastic, couldn't put it down

4 Stars

Really Good

3 Stars

Enjoyable

2 Stars

Just Okay – nothing to write home about

1 Star

Rubbish – waste of my money and time. Few books make it to this level, since I usually give up on them if they’re that bad.

• Like 19

I plan on joining in for the read of A Passage to India, but I think instead of Out of Africa, I will read The Road from Coorain. Just because it has been on my shelf for years, I know nothing about it other than it is listed in WEM.  

I am currently still working on The New Jim Crow and enjoying Boy, Snow, Bird. I'm still working on Aristotle's Children, and for my fun read the last in Ben Winter's Last Policeman trilogy, World of Trouble. I'm listening to The Plantagenets by Dan Jones. It's perfect for an audiobook, something to listen to while I'm doing other things - kind of a summary coverage, not too in-depth, very story-form. I'm enjoying the audio version, I doubt if I would sit and read it, though. With the kids, I have Richard III, Robin Hood, and Shakespeare's Sonnets ongoing. I'm on chapter 10-ish of HotRW.

Books completed in January:

23. World of Trouble - Ben Winters

22. The Indigo Dragon - James Owen

21. The Island of Dr. Moreau - H G Wells

20. The Story of Western Science - Susan Wise Bauer

19. Blindness - Jose Saramago

18. Four Queens: The Provencal Sisters Who Ruled Europe - Nancy Goldstone

17. Metamorphoses - Ovid

16. Death in the Andes - Mario Vargas Llosa

15. Countdown City - Ben Winters

14. The Control of Nature - John McPhee

13. The Tempest - William Shakespeare

12. A Brave Vessel: The True Tale of the Castaways Who Rescued Jamestown and Inspired Shakespeare's The Tempest - Hobson Woodward

11. Paper Towns - John Green

10. The Perks of Being a Wallflower - Stephen Chbosky

9. The Last Policeman - Ben Winters

8. Queen of the Conqueror: The Life of Matilda, Wife of William I - Tracy Borman

7. The Annotated Ancient Mariner - Samuel Taylor Coleridge

6. William Shakespeare's Star Wars: Verily, A New Hope - Ian Doescher

5. Ancillary Sword - Ann Leckie

4. Prometheus Bound - Aeschylus

3. The Procedure - Harry Mulisch

2. The Conqueror - Georgette Heyer

1. The Buried Book: The Loss and Rediscovery of the Great Epic of Gilgamesh- David Damrosch

Bingo Progress:

5th Column

4th Row

Edited by Chrysalis Academy
  • Like 15

I finished 'Ivory guardians' a dutch psychologic romam from Simon Vestdijk.

I do like the historical romans of this author, but not this book.

I'm in the middle of three short stories of Elizabeth Gaskel:

- The Marriage

- Lucy

- My french teacher

As I became ill this week, I didn't continue War & Peace

• Like 18

Finished Last Week - book 5

Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Sloan - Thanks to all who mentioned this book on the boards.  I found it not only entertaining but also thought provoking which I didn't expect.  My review is here.

Books In Progress

• Jesus Calling by Young - still current, January complete
  • ESV Bible - finished Exodus
  • The Horse and His Boy by Lewis - read aloud with the youngest

Upcoming Books for This Week

• Tartuffe by Moliere - reading to discuss with my 11th grader so will definitely finish
  • Written in Red by Bishop - I decided to reread the first three books in the series before the new one comes out in March. Also it fits the color in the title Bingo square and my need for something fluffy and fun to counter the other two books. :D  
  • Passage to India by Forster - I haven't done a readalong before, but I downloaded the Kindle version from Overdrive and am hoping to start as soon as I finish Moliere.

Goodreads

• Like 16

I'm a total newb at this so bear with me!

I wanted to write a lovely post with specific quotes from my reading, but only have time for this--

So far since joining I've read

Wild, by Cheryl Strayed

No Country for Old Men, by McCarthy

and I am finishing

1000 Gifts (going slowly)

Rare Bird, by Anna Whiston-Donaldson and

Audacious, by Beth Moore.

NCFOM was an easy read because I'd seen the movie and knew the story. I thought the author's puncuation style was kind of stupid, but it did make me pay closer attention. (He doesn't use any quotation marks when writing dialog.) It was a fast read, and had a few sections that I found particularly thoughtful, esp about responsibility, fate, and choice and the role they play in our lives.

Wild was really good--another easy read, and another one that had a movie I've seen to go with it. While I didn't agree with Strayed's moral choices, I really got into the grieving she did, and could really relate to the parenting and letting go and "finding ones'self" and all that. I cried a great deal during the book.

I am still getting thru Rare Bird. It's a memoir about the first year or so in the life of a family that lost their 12 yo son in a flooding creek. It happened in Vienna, Va, and I know the storm she's talking about. It is a very, very emotional read for me, and I've had to tell myself, "You only need to read 5 pages" and that sort of thing, in order to get thru it. I like her writing, and I like what she says about grief and grieving. It's very real.

1000 Gifts (Voskamp) is a re-read, but oh--it is also so danged emotional for me. I am going deep into my parenting and my life in the last 15 years, and my marriage and my relationship to God.

I did not realize how taking up reading again would affect me--I've been an emotional mess of sorts. I knew I wanted to exercise my brain in reading again, but I didn't realize how I'd be putting my beliefs and my heart thru the ringer, too.

There's just something about the words--words in general, I guess! lol--So much beauty and truth, and so deep, and there's the pain and the gore of a life, my life, that's an open sore in some spots I've just covered over, and the WORDS are seeping in and I don't know if I can stay open to the healing or if I need to cover again because the prodding is so deep and I get lost and sinking and don't trust there is anything, any rope, any thought, to hang on to while I'm being flooded with such...words--other's words that bring MY words to the surface, and name and define the bits and pieces of me. 

I can't really express it, but reading has opened me again. I don't know if I can take it, honestly.

I am starting My Antonia (have read just a bit) and will finish Rare Bird this week.

• Like 25

Rose, I predict that you'll love The Road from Coorain.  My sister in law placed it in my hands years ago for inspiration.

Narrow Gate:  Tartuffe is a favorite of mine!  Which translation are you reading? I read the Wilbur but wonder if a new version is being recommended.

Negin, I added Mrs. Bridge to my "Negin's Rec" sublist on my general library list.

Edited by Jane in NC
  • Like 14

In progress: The Once and Future King- I'm halfway through and plan to finish it this week.

Outlander - I started this as an audio book but also have the kindle version- I very much enjoyed it but I decided not to dig into it until I finish OaFK, trying to discipline myself.

I went to the library last week and picked up a few books- not sure if I'll read them all or not but I like to have options:

The Wild Trees- About the Sequoias- non-fiction- I adore trees and seeing the Sequoias is very high on my bucket list- hopefully this summer- it is going to be a long drive to get there

Walden- Thoreau- I can't remember if I've read this- my memory is horrible so I picked it up as I feel drawn to it now

The Amateur Naturalist- Are we sensing a theme? 

I'm craving some light non-fic book but didn't find any at the library. I need to randomly browse Amazon I guess :) I'm trying to follow posts on here but there are just so many books and I've been curtailing my internet time lately.

1. The Crystal Cave- Stewart

2. The Hollow Hills- Stewart

3. The Last Enchantment- Stewart

4. The Wicked Day- Stewart

5. Younger Next Year for Women

6. Very Good Lives- Rowling- very, very, extremely short

7. Sword in the Stone, The Queen of Air and Darkness (White)
8. The Lost Art of Walking
9. Move Your DNA

It is Meet the Patels, a documentary of a year in the life of actor Ravi Patel as he agrees to let his parents help arrange a marriage for him. It is filmed by his sister, so all the family scenes are open and honest, and more often than not, very funny. It captures the challenges of a first generation Indian/American torn between American and Indian culture. 

From last week- the kids and I ended up watching a bit of this the other day and enjoyed it. I'd like to finish it.

• Like 14

So far since joining I've read

Wild, by Cheryl Strayed

Wild was really good--another easy read, and another one that had a movie I've seen to go with it. While I didn't agree with Strayed's moral choices, I really got into the grieving she did, and could really relate to the parenting and letting go and "finding ones'self" and all that. I cried a great deal during the book.

So, you watched the movie before reading? I enjoyed the movie so I was thinking about reading her book but didn't know if it would seem redundant after watching.

Edited by soror
  • Like 12

I did not realize how taking up reading again would affect me--I've been an emotional mess of sorts. I knew I wanted to exercise my brain in reading again, but I didn't realize how I'd be putting my beliefs and my heart thru the ringer, too.

There's just something about the words--words in general, I guess! lol--So much beauty and truth, and so deep, and there's the pain and the gore of a life, my life, that's an open sore in some spots I've just covered over, and the WORDS are seeping in and I don't know if I can stay open to the healing or if I need to cover again because the prodding is so deep and I get lost and sinking and don't trust there is anything, any rope, any thought, to hang on to while I'm being flooded with such...words--other's words that bring MY words to the surface, and name and define the bits and pieces of me. 

I can't really express it, but reading has opened me again. I don't know if I can take it, honestly.

There are seasons for everything. You felt led to begin reading again and here you are. If it is too much too soon, take a break and read something fluffy before returning to heavier titles. But respect both your need for prodding and your need for protection from too much prodding.

• Like 19

So, you watched the movie before reading? I enjoyed the movie so I was thinking about reading her book but didn't know if it would seem redundant after watching.

I don't usually find books to be redundant if I see the movie. They are never equal. The books seem to always have a much better time of telling inwards thoughts and the words, themselves, are valuable to me.

Sometimes I feel it's rather nice to have seen the movie, because I can then read the book knowing the plot and can go to Stage 2 reading (lol--I don't know what the real phrase is--it's when you can go beyond just meeting the characters and knowing the plot and start getting to the meat of the book--from SWB's WEM-way of reading things twice or three times.)

• Like 16

Now that I've finished Homeward Bound I am back into Small Is Beautiful.  The chapter I am reading is about nuclear energy which always freaks me out.  There was some very interesting bits before that about countries deciding to close down their coal industries because of predictions about oil availability - he was really discussing the way that economists make decisions about what will happen.  He doesn't have much time for it.

Last night I read a library cookbook - Back to Basics by Michael Smith.  It has some nice looking recipes, and his are always very amenable to tinkering and even make suggestions for it.  They are nice for people who want to become a little more free in how they use recipes.

• Like 18

Thank you Jane! I would love to join the Forster read-along, but it will have to wait until later in the month. I've long been interested in A Room with a View (know nothing about it, never even saw the movie), but I'll look at both that and the two you recommend to start with (APtI and HE) and then probably go with whichever is thinnest! Just kidding, mostly.

Chris in VA-welcome, welcome! Beautifully written post and I hope you find healing to go along with uncomfortable/painful introspection in your reading. We all jump to fluffy reads when we need to!

I've had 4 books going this week which is really more than I can handle, but next week will be the same. Dying in the Wool is my treadmill reading, so only 20-30 pages per day in that right now. Just a fun Kate Shackleton post WWI mystery. I actually didn't even pick up Mansfield Park this week because there is no rush to that, but it is still in progress. I'm about halfway through the February pick for my bookclub which is Flight of the Sparrow by Amy Belding Brown--early American historical fiction: Puritans vs. Indians. Very readable but protagonist feels very modern to me. But it is interesting to compare the relative freedom she finds in the Indian world, even as a captured slave, compared to her life as a Puritan woman. This jumped out at me partially due to the 4th book on my list and the only one I finished this week--Homeward Bound by Emily Matchar. There was some discussion on this in last week's thread. I was interested in reading more about why many women today choose the domestic life over the workplace. I did get a bit annoyed at the author's assumptions at times (eg parenting views of the childless author), and wondered what book she might write closer to age 50 rather than 30. It's so easy to know it all before life has really happened to you. When it is your baby in your arms, you get to make the decisions on the best way to raise that child. While Matchar thinks the problem is just that there isn't enough good daycare, I think the woman with her baby in her arms knows that there is no ideal daycare that takes the place of home. My opinion anyway.

So Homeward Bound is done, but Between the World and Me is awaiting me at the library, so still trying to get through 4 books this week! Maybe I'll go look at the Forster shelf in the library, maybe I'll even bring something home, but I do need to finish something else instead of starting a 5th book!

Edited by Ali in OR
  • Like 18

I just downloaded A Passage to India for my kindle. $1.99 - great deal! Thank you for the encouragement after my "too daunted to start Don Quixote" post last week! I started it and made it through the introductions and am into the 1st chapter now. 

Is the bingo game people are talking about on the first Book a Week thread of the year? Sounds intriguing! 

This week, I read Outliers: The Story of Success by Malcolm Gladwell and The Martian. I enjoyed both. I'm reading Don Quixote,  and I just downloaded The Boys in the Boat (after all the rave reviews here last week).

So far this year: 

5. The Martian

4. Outliers: The Story of Success

3. The Water Is Wide

2. Two Minute Warning: How Concussions, Crime and Controversy Could Kill the NFL

1. Mindless Eating: Why We Eat More Than We Think

• Like 17

Narrow Gate:  Tartuffe is a favorite of mine!  Which translation are you reading? I read the Wilbur but wonder if a new version is being recommended.

It's the Wilbur translation.  It was the only one available off the shelf on Saturday and I didn't see a recommended translation in WTM.

hello,

I haven't checked in since about this time last year but thought I would try joining in again. Every time I read the Baw thread my hold list at the library get soooo long.

I have the same problem.  At some point I stop putting books on hold and start making a list in one note.

Is the bingo game people are talking about on the first Book a Week thread of the year? Sounds intriguing! 

It was in the first thread and is also on Robin's 52 books blog here.

• Like 12

I finished reading Pyle's 'King Arthur' to dd last night! 

Some women on the train yesterday arvo complimented me on my reading aloud, which I thought was pretty darn spiffy. I guess 200 odd pages of "therewiths" increases stamina and fluency! (I'd have been more deserving of compliments if I was reading proper modern English though. :p )

• Like 21

I read Mrs. Bridge - 5 Stars - I loved this book – my first 5-star read of 2016! I finished the last few pages sitting in the car while waiting for my son to buy lunch and was almost in tears. I came home and started telling my husband about it and then, of course, I was sobbing.

It’s a perfect read, impeccably written, and unique. The chapters are short and a pleasure to get through. They’re more like vignettes than chapters. Parts of it are funny, other parts are heartbreaking. It’s a perfectly observed story of an upper-middle class American woman in the suburban Midwest before World War II. All in all, it’s a simple and subtle read. Nothing incredible or major happens. No huge plot twists and turns. Yet it has profound depth and is incredibly insightful.

I plan on reading “Mr. Bridge†very soon, which is meant to be read after this one, I believe. It was published ten years later. I just remembered that both books were made into a movie with Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward. I haven’t seen it and am not sure if I will. 

9781582435688.jpg

MY RATING SYSTEM

5 Stars

Fantastic, couldn't put it down

4 Stars

Really Good

3 Stars

Enjoyable

2 Stars

Just Okay – nothing to write home about

1 Star

Rubbish – waste of my money and time. Few books make it to this level, since I usually give up on them if they’re that bad.

I definitely want to read this but now is probably not the time! I plan to find it when you read Mr. Bridge......plus I put it on my ever growing list!

Finished Last Week - book 5

Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Sloan - Thanks to all who mentioned this book on the boards.  I found it not only entertaining but also thought provoking which I didn't expect.  My review is here.

Books In Progress

• Jesus Calling by Young - still current, January complete
  • ESV Bible - finished Exodus
  • The Horse and His Boy by Lewis - read aloud with the youngest

Upcoming Books for This Week

• Tartuffe by Moliere - reading to discuss with my 11th grader so will definitely finish
  • Written in Red by Bishop - I decided to reread the first three books in the series before the new one comes out in March. Also it fits the color in the title Bingo square and my need for something fluffy and fun to counter the other two books. :D  
  • Passage to India by Forster - I haven't done a readalong before, but I downloaded the Kindle version from Overdrive and am hoping to start as soon as I finish Moliere.
Goodreads

I loved Mr. Penumbra. It made my top five the year I read it.

I also like your idea of a reread of Written in Red, the series, in preparation for the new book. Dd and I both love this series!

hello,

I haven't checked in since about this time last year but thought I would try joining in again. Every time I read the Baw thread my hold list at the library get soooo long.

Welcome back! My lists are always really long.......

• Like 13

Jane, I have a funny serendipitous story about my copy of A Passage to India, also. I was given a nice hardback copy as a graduations gift. From high school. In 1990.  I have never read the book, but for some reason I have been carting it around with me, move after move, for the last 26 years.  I guess it is about time to actually read it!

Thanks for the encouragement to read The Road from Coorain.  I picked up that one and The Hunger of Memory at a library sale a while ago, just because they are on the the WEM autobiography list, but I've not read either.  Maybe this is the year I will get to a few things from my shelf!

• Like 16

From Jane in NC:

I suggest that the only books that influence us are those for which we are ready, and which have gone a little further down our particular path than we have yet gone ourselves. ~  E.M. Forster

Jane, thanks for your informative post!   I recall enjoying those Forster movies which I saw at the same time as you. 

... I will read The Road from Coorain.

I read and enjoyed that years ago; I hope you like it, too.

I'm craving some light non-fic book but didn't find any at the library.

Some non-fiction suggestions:

my favorite Bill Bryson work ~ The Mother Tongue - English And How It Got That Way

Quirkology: How We Discover the Big Truths in Small Things by Richard Wiseman

Classic Feynman: All the Adventures of a Curious Character  which is a compilation of two of Richard Feynman's earlier books -- "Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!" and "What Do You Care What Other People Think?".  The edition I've linked above is wonderful because it includes a CD of Richard Feynman telling some great stories of his time at Los Alamos.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 20

Welcome back, Ausmumof3.  And welcome to all our other new members.

Nan, you might enjoy this review about a book by one of your favorite authors ~ Review of The Changeling Sea by Patricia A. McKillip

Last night I finished a re-read of The Shameless Hour (The Ivy Years Book 4)  by Sarina Bowen which I read for the first time in November.  I feel the same way now that I felt then, so I'll just quote myself.

I've enjoyed all of the books in this new adult series thus far.  I will say though that this one was the most poignant/painful to read as it showed the cruelty that some people exhibit.  That said, I do recommend it.

"She's not looking for a hero. He's not looking for a hookup.

For Bella, the sweet-talking, free-loving, hip-checking student manager of the Harkness men’s hockey team, sex is a second language. She’s used to being fluent where others stutter, and the things people say behind her back don’t (often) bother her. So she can’t understand why her smoking hot downstairs neighbor has so much trouble staying friends after their spontaneous night together. She knows better than to worry about it, but there’s something in those espresso eyes that makes her second guess herself.

Rafe is appalled with himself for losing his virginity in a drunken hookup. His strict Catholic upbringing always emphasized loving thy neighbor—but not with a bottle of wine and a box of condoms. The result is an Ivy League bout of awkwardness. But when Bella is leveled by a little bad luck and a downright nasty fraternity stunt, it’s Rafe who is there to pick up the pieces.

Bella doesn’t want Rafe's help, and she’s through with men. Too bad the undeniable spark that crackles between the two of them just can't be extinguished."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 11

I finished Ancillary Justice earlier in the week, and just finished Ancillary Sword a few minutes ago, then turned around and ordered Ancillary Mercy. So much for delayed gratification. [emoji5] I liked Justice better than Sword, which I found somewhat more unfocused and soapboxy, but I still gave Sword 4 stars on Goodreads. And of course I did immediately order the 3rd book in the series...

I also finished Grain of Truth this week. I found it somewhat disappointing, in that it did not really provide any sort of balanced scientific treatment of the gluten debate, which is what it seemed to promise. But the discussion of heritage wheat and sourdough was interesting.

I'm scheduled for my C-section on Friday, so this week is going to be about light reading. I have some fantasy sitting around the house... But I am hoping not to read everything so I'll have something to take to the hospital with me! I don't usually read much in the hospital due to pain meds, etc., but I wouldn't feel packed without a book.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 19

I finished Ancillary Justice earlier in the week, and just finished Ancillary Sword a few minutes ago, then turned around and ordered Ancillary Mercy. So much for delayed gratification. [emoji5] I liked Justice better than Sword, which I found somewhat more unfocused and soapboxy, but I still gave Sword 4 stars on Goodreads. And of course I did immediately order the 3rd book in the series...

I finished Sword this morning, and started Mercy this afternoon.

• Like 15

A small moment warmed my heart at Barnes and Nobel this morning.  Two young boys, maybe 9 or 10, were excited to find The Martian on the display shelves. Just the sight of their little heads tilted toward each other as they flipped through the book, well, it was very sweet, and made me miss those days when my young kids were excited when discovering a book.  

While at the store I picked up Hemingway's A Moveable Feast as well as The Paris Wife, both of which I hope to read before and during my brief few days in that city later this month. I used to get books for the kids about places we'd be traveling to, so it is nice to be doing it for myself for a change!

I'm still listening to, and enjoying more often than not, Bill Bryson's Road to Little Dribbling. When he is "on" he is in fine form, with scathingly funny yet interesting and informative bits. But then he ruins it when the grumpy old man comes out and writes truly unnecessary comments peppered with f-bombs.  Why his editors let those stay in is a mystery.  He is too good a writer to be padding his books with complaints about shop keepers and kids working at McDonald's with a "f*ck 'em".   

For a change of pace, I decided to start reading Neil Gaiman's Sandman series, which has been collected into several graphic novel volumes. For those of you who don't know, my dh is in the comic book/graphic novel industry. You'd think I'd be a regular reader of lots of graphic novels, but not so much!  Anyway, the first Sandman story was really good, both the story and the art, so I'm going to continue with them. 

• Like 20

I'm scheduled for my C-section on Friday, so this week is going to be about light reading. I have some fantasy sitting around the house... But I am hoping not to read everything so I'll have something to take to the hospital with me! I don't usually read much in the hospital due to pain meds, etc., but I wouldn't feel packed without a book.

We would all love a birth announcement when you are able. Not sure if you will be able to check in while in the hospital or not. But I hope all goes well and you find yourself able to read a bit!

• Like 17

Some non-fiction suggestions:

my favorite Bill Bryson work ~ The Mother Tongue - English And How It Got That Way

Quirkology: How We Discover the Big Truths in Small Things by Richard Wiseman

Classic Feynman: All the Adventures of a Curious Character  which is a compilation of two of Richard Feynman's earlier books -- "Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!" and "What Do You Care What Other People Think?".  The edition I've linked above is wonderful because it includes a CD of Richard Feynman telling some great stories of his time at Los Alamos.

Regards,

Kareni

Thanks so much, those all sound interesting.

• Like 10

I'm still working on Out of Africa. It is definitely good story telling. There is a lot of pausing for me whenever she mentions ways in which Africa had changed and was changing before her eyes, especially the land and the animal life. The people are more complicated. They are all alike in so many ways yet so different, too. All the people tend to manipulate each other and their environment to suit themselves. The reasons and methods differ according to culture and values. The land and the animals have no such ability or choices.

• Like 19

I also finished Grain of Truth this week. I found it somewhat disappointing, in that it did not really provide any sort of balanced scientific treatment of the gluten debate, which is what it seemed to promise. But the discussion of heritage wheat and sourdough was interesting.

I liked Justice better than Sword too, but after reading the trilogy once and coming back around to it, I found I liked Sword more than I had the first time. I guess I wasn't sure where she was going with it the first time, but the trilogy all fit together in such a satisfying way that it made me enjoy the 2nd book more after completing the whole thing.

I hope your birth goes well! Best wishes.

• Like 14

I am continuing to heal from my concussion, so still no reading.  I was really depressed last week after seeing the neuro-opthamologist on Monday.  He told me that the damage to my vision was permanent.  According to him I have nerve damage in both eyes, and have lost part of the visual field in my right eye.  I was given a little hope on Friday when the doctor that referred me called me from home. He disagrees with the diagnosis.  He ordered further testing this week and wants me to see a different neuro-opthamologist in the same office.  I guess the doctor that he normally works with was on vacation this month and whomever I saw was just filling in.  He seems to think that I will get more of my vision back given time and vision therapy.  I am now allowed to color, and per the recommendations I have started with Secret Garden.  I don't get very far at a sitting, but it's a small step in the right direction.

I finished listening to the following:

Blood Kiss (Black Dagger Legacy #1) by J.R. Ward was a very good start to a spin-off of the original Black Dagger Brotherhood series.  I enjoyed checking in with some of the original brothers and their shellans, without them taking over the story.  I look forward to the next book.

Sweet Ruin (Immortals After Dark #16) by Kresley Cole.  I know some people had problems with the author adding new characters this far into the series, but some new blood was necessary if the story is to continue.  The addition of the Morior allows for some very interesting characters, and while this was a transitional novel in that sense, I am looking forward to what will come with the build up to the Accession.  I'm already matching up remaining characters in my head.   :)

Feverborn (Fever Series #8) by Karen Marie Moning.  I hemmed and hawed with my thoughts on this book.  I'm not sure how much they may have been impacted by this being audio, but I had a harder time with this book.  I kept finding myself distracted and annoyed by some of the dialogue and description, which wasn't the case in the past, and not much happened until the last few chapters.  I actually gave Iced four stars on Goodreads, a minority opinion, and Burned and Feverborn just don't seem to measure up for me.  I haven't given up hope yet, and I don't think many will given the cliffhanger ending.

I am currently listening to The Bone Labyrinth by James Rollins.

Edited by melmichigan
  • Like 20

Good heavens, Melissa! Continued well wishes for your recovery and I hope the other neuro-opthamologist has a better prognosis for you. 

Many hugs -- and am typing this out since I don't think emoji work so well when you listen to our posts!!

Thanks Jenn!  The emoji don't work when I listen, they are just skipped over.  I will admit that I missed a lot of the conversation last week.  The long and multi-quotes make it very confusing via audio.  I did finally figure out how to keep track of my place in a thread on the app, so I hope to get further this week.  Overall I'm getting better at using the adaptive tech.

Edited by melmichigan
  • Like 14

Melissa, sending many hugs & good thoughts. Coloring definitely sounds like a step in the right direction.

Mom22es, how is your dad doing? How are YOU doing? :grouphug: :grouphug:

Kareni, how's your mom??? :grouphug:

Loesje, hope you are feeling better quickly. :grouphug:

Heather, are you back up to full-speed these days? So glad your recovery went so well! :grouphug:

Angelaboord, sending hugs on your impending birth! Can't wait to hear back from you after your new little family member arrives. :grouphug:

Chris, I totally get your post/comments about words & the emotional overwhelm. I'm in a very similar spot right now too & that is probably one reason my reading has been slower than normal for me so far this year. We can weep together (both sad & happy weeping), my friend.  :grouphug:

Still limping along painfully slowly in my reading these days. I'm having a very slow start to my 2016 reading!

I'm still working on We Need New Names by NoViolet Bulawayo. It's my book club's read, but the more I read, the less I like it. :glare:  I normally like international stories like this, but it is not really resonating with me, I don't feel a connection to the characters, I find the writing choppy, & it's almost like each chapter is a separate mini-story rather than having the continuity that I think the story needs. I am scratching my head at the fact that this book received so many plaudits & prize nominations when it was released a couple of years ago. Is it because it's an African book shining the light on life in post-colonial Zimbabwe (among other topics/themes)? They're certainly worthy topics, but I feel like I've been fortunate enough to read other & better books with international &/or post-colonial stories. Sigh. Maybe I'm just being curmudgeonly.

Speaking of curmudgeonly, I am going to pass on A Passage to India. I read that back in high school (& I was one of those students who *actually* read the books instead of the Cliff Notes, lol) & it was one of two books I remember intensely disliking. :leaving:   Jane, I did certainly enjoy your post, even if I'm not joining in on the Forster reading. Thank you!

Yesterday, I also started The Beast: Riding the Rails and Dodging Narcos on the Migrant Trail by Óscar Martínez. Both Eliana & Pam recommended this one as an integral part of my cartel-related reading. Thank you both. It is immediately gripping & already I have great respect for the author trekking along with the migrants -- it could almost be considered the same as war reporters on the front lines, I think. (On a side note -- It sounds petty, but I do have a minor quibble that I have found a few mistakes in the book so far that editors should have caught. Not big stuff, but it is enough to pull me out of the narrative for a tiny second & that is a disservice to the gravity of the topic. Hoping they make corrections during the next round of printing.)

My week is looking very busy, so I'm not sure how much progress I'll make in either book this week.

ETA:

Soror, for light non-fiction, you might enjoy Pink Boots and a Machete by Mireya Mayor.

Ausmumof3, welcome back!

Jenn, I'm looking forward to living your trip vicariously through you! Hope you enjoy your Paris reading. I know you'll enjoy Paris! Please eat a delicious & awesome French pastry for me while you're there!

And, Rosie, love the story of your approving train audience! :thumbup:

Edited by Stacia
  • Like 23

I am continuing to heal from my concussion, so still no reading.  ...

I hope that your vision will be fully restored as time goes on and that you continue to heal from your concussion.  Happy coloring and listening -- you can multi-task.

Kareni, how's your mom??? :grouphug:

I spoke with her earlier today, and she seems to be in good spirits.  As my mother needs a lot of assistance for even the most basic of tasks, it's my sister who is sounding very tired as she's the one who's caring for our mother.  Thank you for asking.

Regards,

Kareni 

• Like 16

I spoke with her earlier today, and she seems to be in good spirits.  As my mother needs a lot of assistance for even the most basic of tasks, it's my sister who is sounding very tired as she's the one who's caring for our mother.  Thank you for asking.

Glad to hear your mom is in good spirits.

And sending :grouphug:  to your sister. Being the caregiver is a tough & demanding & often underappreciated job. She must have a great heart & kindness within.

• Like 13

Well, I started Ancillary Justice (thanks to BAW recs), but my dh got hooked before I could get very far and so, I won't see that again until he's mostly done (or at work).

How would I find the discussions you already had about that from last year? (Just google?)

I also got Between the World and Me from the library this weekend. And, I got far enough into that to see why it started such a powerfully moving dialogue in the last few weeks. I think I'll go back and read what everyone wrote after I finish and formulate my own thoughts.

And, because of a conversation a couple of weeks ago at church, I started reading Tess of the D'Urbervilles. I didn't really read any summaries/synopsis ahead of time, so I didn't know if it was going to be a happy book or not. And, I was so disturbed by how ...ugh...injust the whole thing turned out to be for that child. I feel so outraged. And, there's no castle to storm. It was a different time with different conventions and norms. The characters weren't even real. But, I feel like DOING something. And, there's nothing to do. It's just wrong. And over. And.....disturbing. 

I think I should read something as a palate cleanser. But, that seems dismissive. And, ick.

I've read Howard's End, and I think it left me feeling outraged, too, (if I remember it correctly). So, I might not be up for any Forester right after Tess. But, I'd love to hear what everyone else says about it. I loved the quote about being ready for the books that most move us. And outrage is an emotion that moves, too. So, who knows. But, ugh. 

• Like 18

So I just finished Rare Bird, and I highly recommend it.

Two things--I connected with her descriptions of life with dealing with loss of her 12yo son because of the losses I went thru as my son was in drug treatment off and on for 10 years, which left our family radically changed. It reinforces the idea that our lives do not need to mirror each other's totally--our experiences do not need to be exactly the same--in order for us to find common ground, either to empathize with each other or to go further and enter into deeper relationship with each other.

Secondly, the author is pretty local to me--and as I was ending the book and thinking, "I really should tell her how impactful this book has been," I read the acknowlegements in the back and saw a familiar name from these boards, named as the authors dear friend--a person I have a way of contacting! I am going to reconnect with that boardie (not really here anymore) because she is a friend of the author, but also just to say hello.

That was kinda neat.

• Like 20

So I just finished Rare Bird, and I highly recommend it.

Two things--I connected with her descriptions of life with dealing with loss of her 12yo son because of the losses I went thru as my son was in drug treatment off and on for 10 years, which left our family radically changed. It reinforces the idea that our lives do not need to mirror each other's totally--our experiences do not need to be exactly the same--in order for us to find common ground, either to empathize with each other or to go further and enter into deeper relationship with each other.

Secondly, the author is pretty local to me--and as I was ending the book and thinking, "I really should tell her how impactful this book has been," I read the acknowlegements in the back and saw a familiar name from these boards, named as the authors dear friend--a person I have a way of contacting! I am going to reconnect with that boardie (not really here anymore) because she is a friend of the author, but also just to say hello.

That was kinda neat.

Love this post, Chris.

• Like 11

Melissa, I do so hope the diagnosis is wrong. Thank goodness for audio books.

I'm reading several books but haven't finished any except for Dragon's at Crumbling Castle and Other Tales, a Pratchett book for kids (and adults who like to giggle while reading to kids). 

I'm reading Overcoming Dyslexia for the current class I am taking. We are reading it slowly and discussing it by chapter. 

Also still reading Hogfather which sadly I have to keep setting aside to read for my class and plan co-op classes. I wanted to read it in December, but there was a long hold at the library. Stacia, I'm *finally* reading it though after reading you post about it every December for the past few years. I am loving it. 

I think I might add up all the children's dinosaur and fossil books I read aloud to my budding paleontologist and count it as one very big book by the end of the year. Did you know that there really is a dinosaur (or should I say was?) called Giganotosaurus? I thought my little one had made that up. Nope, real thing. 

• Like 15

Also still reading Hogfather which sadly I have to keep setting aside to read for my class and plan co-op classes. I wanted to read it in December, but there was a long hold at the library. Stacia, I'm *finally* reading it though after reading you post about it every December for the past few years. I am loving it. 

I think I might add up all the children's dinosaur and fossil books I read aloud to my budding paleontologist and count it as one very big book by the end of the year. Did you know that there really is a dinosaur (or should I say was?) called Giganotosaurus? I thought my little one had made that up. Nope, real thing. 

Yay re: Hogfather!

Never heard of a Giganotosaurus. (But neither of my dc was really into dinosaurs when little, so I'm sure there is a lot I don't know about dinosaurs! I do know there are plenty of really fun & cute dinosaur picture books that we read back in the day, lol.)

• Like 10

I am another person which is reading more books that I would like at once. I didn't finish any books this week as my efforts were spread quite thin.

On the Nature of Things (De Rerum Natura) is going quite well and if I weren't so tired I might have finished tonight. 

A Confederacy of Dunces continues to entertain and make me laugh out loud in public. I've resigned myself to reading it at home to avoid drawing glances.

I continue to make progress on House of Leaves. It's slow going, but I love this post-modern horror story.

I'm almost done with Grain Brain. I know most of the info in it already, but there have been a few interesting tidbits.

DH stopped by the library and picked up my held copy of Passage to India so I think I'll start after finishing Lucretius.

I'm about half way through The Buried Book. (Thanks again, Eliana!) The story of the discovery of the Epic of Gilgamesh is really fascinating. The book discusses how a local Iraqi archeologist, Hormuzd Rassam, had credit taken from him for his discoveries during  his lifetime. He wrote several books, one of which is Asshur and the Land of Nimrod, of which I found Google-digitaized version of Harvard's copy online

I'll just copy a bit of the story of the lack of archeological credit related in The Buried Book because I was reminded of it when Jane mentioned above the colonial British idea of superiority.

Rassam had made the discovery of his life, and yet in the years that followed he made a much less pleasant discovery: the British press, and even the British Museum, [which funded the trips] increasingly failed to credit him for his finds....

Almost alone among the publications, the Illustrated London News emphasized Rassam's role in finding the magnificent reliefs that Loftus shipped back in 1856. Yet even the writer of this article couldn't resist patronizing Rassam. Noting Rassam's success in extending the excavations inaugurated by Austen Henry Layard, the writer comments, "It must not be a little gratifying to that pioneer [Layard] of Assyrian research to find, through his example, an Oriental--generally indifferent to all works of art--so thoroughly interested in the undertaking and impregnated with the English energy to carry his labors to a successful conclusion...."

Meaning to praise Rassam, the writer notes that he had been under special pressure to succeed, since if he failed to find anything, "no amount of energy, perseverance, or labor would have shielded the conductor of the expedition from undeserved blame, more freely bestowed, too, perhaps, because he was a foreigner in an Englishman's position." Rassam quoted this passage in his memoirs [Asshur and the Land of Nimrod, linked above],  saying nothing about the strangeness of being described as "a foreigner in an Englishman's position" as he excavated the mounds just outside his own birthplace.

-------

As I became ill this week, I didn't continue War & Peace

Feel better soon!

NCFOM was an easy read because I'd seen the movie and knew the story. I thought the author's puncuation style was kind of stupid, but it did make me pay closer attention. (He doesn't use any quotation marks when writing dialog.) It was a fast read, and had a few sections that I found particularly thoughtful, esp about responsibility, fate, and choice and the role they play in our lives.

I rather like the lack of punctuation because it makes everything so consistent and spare. But I do sympathize, as one of my biggest pet peeves is found in the same book: people using "of" in stead of "'ve" as in "I could of gone." I know it's a style, but it practically makes my eye start twitching.

Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman is a great book! Paraphrasing:  "I would like a map of a cat, please." "You mean an anatomical diagram?" "Yes."

Edited by idnib
  • Like 19

I get this. I experience it in the world of people who have a special needs child. There is probably as much diversity within the special needs world as there is in the world at large. In some ways my dd in a wheelchair, non-verbal, much like an infant/toddler is very different from an autistic boy or intelligent CP kid, but I always feel a unity with parents whose world is different than the norm--even if their different is different from my different! (dd has a swimming and activity night for kids with all types of special needs, so I see the variety. And I think there's a special connection between the parents).

I've been number 1 on the hold list for a few weeks now--maybe I'll be getting it in February. So at least you're ahead of me!

Congratulate me--my first MultiQuote!

Edited by Ali in OR
  • Like 21

Melissa, I am so glad your primary Doctor sounds like a wonderful one. I hope all goes well with the new doc and you continue to heal. Hugs!

Kareni, Thanks for the report on your mom. Remember medication causes many unexpected side effects in elderly patients so the vision problems (not sure if that is still a problem) may be related. My mom had to stop reading her romances due to vision issues a few months ago but just reinstated her Harlequin subscription. For her things seem to improve immensely when the meds leave her system. :grouphug: to both you and your sister. Not being able to help physically is really hard also, I know.

Mom Ninja, Not sure if this would interest your son or not.

http://www.museumsassociation.org/museums-journal/q-a/04032015-q-a-dean-lomaxDean quit school as soon as possible and educated himself from 16, studying dinosaurs! My kids consider him to be home educated like them, so total role model. He was the one outside tutor we ever used during our intense dino phase. He was a very enthusiastic kid when he took my kids fossel hunting etc. I love seeing him in the news because he has worked so hard to make his dreams come true!

Now for books....

I finished two.....

Shadow of the Past by Judith Cutler.....Enjoyable historical crime solving. The main character is the second son of a Duke who has become a rural impoverished vicar much to his family's despair. I am now reading the third

in the series.https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4215000-shadow-of-the-past

Sycamore Gap https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/26310229-sycamore-gapwhich is a kindle prime following Holy Island which I read earlier this month. This one starts with a body being found inside Hadrian's Wall near the famous tree. Yes, I know the spot and so had to read it! Not a Roman but a recent death linked to a serial killer, which is linked to the first book. These books are pretty good but very interlinked which I am not a huge fan of. I like my characters to continue into the next book but not my crimes. ;) Anyway the next one is coming soon, maybe things will eventually get resolved and the poor dectective can finally have a case involving other bad guys! :lol:

• Like 14

I am ready to start History of the Renaissance and I have several books on going that I should finish this week.  I have quite a bit of time to spend waiting for kids that should allow me to finish this week.  I am surprised at how much I am reading this year.  I even set my bar low to 25 books this year.  It seems the goals I set for 2015 were a better fit for this year.

Last week I finished:

8.  The Scarlett Thread by Francine Rivers on audio. 

9.  DIY Succulents:  From Placecards to Wreaths by Tawni Daigle

7. Travels with Casey by Benoit Denizet-Lewis

6.  The Rescuer Suzanne Woods Fisher

5.  A Town Like Alice  by Nevil Shute

4.  Jackson Bog by Michael Witt.  
3.  Toward the Sunrise by Elizabeth Camden     

2.  Wonderland Creek by Lynn Austin

1.  Crucial Conversations by Patterson and Grenny

• Like 14

Melissa- HUGS to you, that has to be so hard.

That looks perfect, unfortunately my library and the surrounding libraries don't have it, I'll have to go in and request it.

For light non-fiction, I highly recommend Operation Mincemeat. It's about an Allied attempt to misdirect the Germans at the end of WWII. Reads like a spy novel, except you wouldn't believe some of this if it were in a novel.

• Like 11

Hugs to you Chris. What a beautiful post!

Thank you Jane! I would love to join the Forster read-along, but it will have to wait until later in the month. I've long been interested in A Room with a View (know nothing about it, never even saw the movie), but I'll look at both that and the two you recommend to start with (APtI and HE) and then probably go with whichever is thinnest! Just kidding, mostly.

You might want to try A Room with a View if you need the light of Italy shining through your window. 

I just downloaded A Passage to India for my kindle. $1.99 - great deal! Thank you for the encouragement after my "too daunted to start Don Quixote" post last week! I started it and made it through the introductions and am into the 1st chapter now. 

Glad to hear about the Kindle deal.  And welcome aboard the Forster freighter headed to India!

Jane, I have a funny serendipitous story about my copy of A Passage to India, also. I was given a nice hardback copy as a graduations gift. From high school. In 1990.  I have never read the book, but for some reason I have been carting it around with me, move after move, for the last 26 years.  I guess it is about time to actually read it!

About time, Rose! 

While at the store I picked up Hemingway's A Moveable Feast as well as The Paris Wife, both of which I hope to read before and during my brief few days in that city later this month. I used to get books for the kids about places we'd be traveling to, so it is nice to be doing it for myself for a change!

A Moveable Feast will certainly put you in the right frame of mind for your trip, Jenn.  May I also suggest you look at David Lebovitz's blog?  He is a food writer who lives in Paris. 

Hugs to Melissa, Stacia, all in need.

• Like 15