Menu

Manual Transmission vs. Automatic

SeaConquest

Manual vs. Automatic  

211 members have voted

1. 1. Can you drive a car with a manual transmission?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Do you think that kids today need to learn to drive a manual transmission?

• Yes, it is important (for safety or other reasons).
    • No, it is not necessary. Soon, Google will be driving for us anyway.
    • Obligatory other.

We just bought a new car -- a sports car with a manual transmission -- which led me to wonder whether people still teach their kids to drive a stick. This is my first poll, so hopefully it works!

Edited by SeaConquest

I won't teach it because I don't drive a manual.  DH does though.  I'd leave it up to my kid.  If he wants to fine.  if he does not, fine.  I don't think it is necessary.

DH has a manual.  I suspect his next car will be an automatic.  Or at least I will probably insist.  i did not the first time around.  Generally that has not been an issue, but it would be nice to have his car as a back up.  As it is now, it is not a back up for me. 

The wording of the poll is odd to me though.  How is this an issue of safety?

I was thinking that if the driver became incapacitated for some reason, the passenger could help bring the driver to safety.

If your DH has a manual that you can't drive, you are effectively a one-car family. That seems like a big deal to me.

• Like 7

My middle son has his permit.  We have a 2002 Saturn VUE for him that is a stick.  He is learning to drive it.  

When DH and I got married, we each had stick shift cars.

Most of the world uses stick shift cars, if my child ever needs to travel, rent a car, live overseas, etc...it would be a nice thing to already know.

• Like 5

I was thinking that if the driver became incapacitated for some reason, the passenger could help bring the driver to safety.

If your DH has a manual that you can't drive, you are effectively a one-car family. That seems like a big deal to me.

How does this make us a one car family?  I have my own car and he has his own car.

What would I do differently in your scenario with an automatic vs manual if I'm in the passenger seat?

Yes and Yes. And yes, my oldest drives a manual ;)

I think it's important because it takes away a stupid excuse for getting into a car with an impaired (read: drunk) friend... ie "I came with Bob. Bob is drunk but I can't drive Bob's manual. I guess I have to let Bob drive."  (Not saying that's what a smart person would do -- but a young person who is dependent on Bob for their ride might not think as clearly as they should)

• Like 2

I think it's important because it takes away a stupid excuse for getting into a car with an impaired (read: drunk) friend... ie "I came with Bob. Bob is drunk but I can't drive Bob's manual. I guess I have to let Bob drive."  (Not saying that's what a smart person would do -- but a young person who is dependent on Bob for their ride might not think as clearly as they should)

Uh no.  I would not get into a car with a drunk person if I could not drive his car.  On what universe would that be some sort of excuse?!

• Like 2

How does this make us a one car family?  I have my own car and he has his own car.

What would I do differently in your scenario with an automatic vs manual if I'm in the passenger seat?

If you can't drive his car, you are a one-car family. If your car goes in for service, you don't have a backup for you to drive. He'd either have to drive you places, or you would need a rental. That would annoy me, but JMHO.

Edited by SeaConquest
  • Like 4

our kid car was a 4sp manual.  I had one in particular who complained loudly about how it is unneccessary to know how to drive a stick.  he learned to drive it anyway.  (eta: he's also the one who totaled it.  we joked about repairing it so dudeling could learn to drive on it. in five years . . . egads.)

we no longer own a stick - much as we enjoy driving them.  (not in downtown seattle. no way, no how.  there are some very steep hills.)

the car I'm considering for replacing my current car - has an auto/manual. it will go between the two.  there's no clutch.  even for that, I want them to know what engine sounds mean in relation to gear and stress on the engine.  they simply don't learn that with an automatic.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 2

Uh no.  I would not get into a car with a drunk person if I could not drive his car.  On what universe would that be some sort of excuse?!

Honestly, I think for teens, this would be a big deal. Perhaps, they aren't supposed to be drinking. So, instead of calling someone for help, they ride with the drunk driver because they don't know how to drive a stick.

• Like 2

I would HOPE that my kid would make better choices than getting in the car with drunk Bob, too. But when you're say, at a concert and you don't know how you'll get home if Bob doesn't drive you, and you can't afford a cab, and mom and dad live three hours away....  sometimes people make dumb choices... or maybe they perceive that Bob is just a LITTLE drunk and probably fine ... if they knew how to drive his car, I=they'd offer to drive... if they don't they might make a dumber choice. It's dumb but kids are dumb sometimes.

(Well not me.. I learned on a stick LOL)

• Like 2

If you can't drive his car, you are a one-car family. If your car goes in for service, you don't have a backup for you to drive. He'd either have drive you places, or you would need a rental. That would annoy me, but JMHO.

I guess I've been very lucky because it has never happened.  But yeah I'm a bit annoyed he chose to get a manual.  He works 10 minutes away and he never goes anywhere.  So why did he need a manual?  KWIM?  But he bought that car many years ago when things were different.

Forgive my city girl ignorance, but are all tractors manual transmissions?

All the tractors on our farm are. 😊 It's an easy way to learn stick driving, in my opinion, as you're in open fields gong much slower than road speed. I'm personally not aware of larger farm tractors that aren't stick, although there are features that make them more like automatic like shuttle transmissions. We have one tractor like that, but you still need to push in the clutch to engage that feature.

Edited by Sharpie
  • Like 2

I learned to drive with a manual transmission, and my first two cars had manual transmissions.  Ditto DH.  But it's over two decades since we've owned one, and that long since I've been in a car with a manual transmission.  None of our family or friends has had a manual transmission vehicle in at least that many years.  So I'm having an extremely difficult time figuring out why it would be very important to know how to drive one.  My guess is that a reasonably competent driver could pick it up very quickly.  If either of our boys travels internationally and needs to rent a manual transmission car, I feel confident they'd be able to master it quickly.  Buying a vehicle that we have zero desire for just so we could teach them to drive it certainly doesn't seem like a financially sensible thing to do. ;)

• Like 5

I guess I've been very lucky because it has never happened.  But yeah I'm a bit annoyed he chose to get a manual.  He works 10 minutes away and he never goes anywhere.  So why did he need a manual?  KWIM?  But he bought that car many years ago when things were different.

Have you ever wanted to learn to drive a stick? It's not too late! :)

I learned on a stick. I liken it to riding in an English vs Western saddle. I've had 3 sports car in my life -- two manuals and one auto with a manual option, which I didn't enjoy. I think I am just a purist when it comes to driving sports cars. :)

• Like 1

Have you ever wanted to learn to drive a stick? It's not too late! :)

I learned on a stick. I liken it to riding in an English vs Western saddle. I've had 3 sports car in my life -- two manuals and one auto with a manual option, which I didn't enjoy. I think I am just a purist when it comes to driving sports cars. :)

No I refuse to learn.  I don't see the point.

And ha ha.  We had to buy a new car.  I got the new car.  LOL

I do let my husband drive it sometimes though.  :laugh:

• Like 2

No I refuse to learn.  I don't see the point.

And ha ha.  We had to buy a new car.  I got the new car.  LOL

I do let my husband drive it sometimes though.  :laugh:

Our old Ford Explorer died, so I got the new car too.

It looks like this:

https://www.velocity-group.de/media/image/38016839_2015_ROUSH_Lufthutze_Motorhaube_4.jpg

The kids and I are loving it.   :coolgleamA:

• Like 1

All our cars are manual. Our kids learn to drive stick right away.

I much prefer manual, especially in the mountains. Automatic transmissions can't think proactively. I see the road ahead, can judge the steepness, can switch gear accordingly - the automatic only notices when on the grade... arrrgh. Not fun. I prefer to enjoy driving.

For the kids:

I want my kids to be able to drive any car.

It can be a safety issue if they get a ride from somebody with a manual transmission car and the driver ends up intoxicated or ill. You're stuck in the middle of nowhere if you can't drive that car.

Since so few people drive manual, a manual is in less danger of being stolen for a joy ride.

But most importantly: it's more fun to drive.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 8

If I had been required to learn to drive from my mother -- I'd still be walking everywhere (Hey I'd be in way better shape!)

Well yeah that almost happened.  She attempted to teach me at 16.  Psycho screamy person.  I didn't end up getting my license until 23.  I refused to ensure her "teaching".  So I had to wait until I could afford to pay for professional instruction.

All our cars are manual. Our kids learn to drive stick right away.

I much prefer manual, especially in the mountains.

I want my kids to be able to drive any car.

It can be a safety issue if they get a ride from somebody with a manual transmission car and the driver ends up intoxicated or ill.

Since so few people drive manual, a manual is in less danger of being stolen for a joy ride.

But most importantly: it's more fun to drive.

Your German bona fides are intact. I spent two years working (and driving!) in Germany. Best drivers in the world!

I can drive a manual but I have not done so for almost 20 years.  Still, I think I could if I had to.  I do kinda miss it sometimes, particularly when driving in the mountains.

I had to vote other for the second option.  I think it's fairly important, but not essential, to learn how to drive one.  But as a practical matter, I can't teach my kids because we don't own one, and I don't know if we ever will.  They are getting harder to find in the US, are more expensive, and are not necessarily better on gas mileage.

if my kid ended up in a friend's manual transmission car when the friend was too drunk to drive, I'd expect them to call me, another friend, a cab....

• Like 2

Although is it so fun in bumper to bumper city driving?  I have my doubts about that one.

San Diego really doesn't have bad traffic, and the traffic we do have isn't really in my area. I'm an LA native, so that shapes my perspective. But yes, if I was commuting in traffic on a regular basis, it would be annoying.  

• Like 2

Although is it so fun in bumper to bumper city driving?  I have my doubts about that one.

No, and that is why both our cars now are automatics. If I lived out in the boonies like where I grew up, I'd prefer a stick. They are more fun to drive in places where there isn't much traffic.

• Like 2

yes it is important because just about any job here that involves driving ( for the job) requires you to have a manual license. This includes jobs like Aged Care Home Help work that I once did, and summer fire fighting that 2 of my boys are currently doing ( they also had to get a 4 * 4 certificate) 

I passionately love manuals. To me piloting an automatic isn't so much "driving" as "pointing" :D

Sometimes I have a "semi-automatic." as my son will shift gears from the passenger side, )with me working the peddles. If it is a tricky situation I'll cover his hand with mine and guide the action (as I did when he started).

I learned as a boy sitting on my Dad's lap. He had a beautiful old Model A Ford that one needed to double-clutch (meaning to go from 1st to 2nd one needed to clutch, shift to neutral, disengage clutch, clutch again, shift to 2nd, and disengage clutch).

I'll be sad when gas cars with manuals are antiques.

Bill (LA native)

• Like 4

I couldn't vote because I used to know how to drive a manual but haven't in about 20years. Since I wasn't super good at it before, I'm not sure how well I'd do today. I would be in the middle of the "can you drive" question. Maybe yes and maybe no? I think I could make it go straight, hopefully get up a hill, and probably not crash into a hospital parking lot. I would not feel confident driving to the supermarket for no good reason at this point. I was taught because my dad thought it as important for safety reasons. I was good enough to pass a test but never practiced after and have had no need. We went overseas and had a manual rental car and I let DH drive because I was not going to mess with it. 

Having not needed to drive a stick in 20yrs and knowing that I'm likely terrible at it now despite "learning," my vote would be that I wouldn't bother teaching my kids. 15 years ago, I would have said it was important, but only because that's what my dad told me. 

• Like 1

That, too. Although they have automatic rentals available for the American tourists.

Ah, yes, but only at the airports, at least in Germany.  If your car gets wrecked away from an airport, they'll bring you a manual.  then watch you closely while you drive away.   Fortunately, it is like riding a bike.  

I made a German man actually tear up when I told him I was leaving the fancy level of BMW in the office parking lot because I didn't like to drive it.  Hotel was a long-ish but picturesque walk away.  

My Dad taught me to drive a stick...and I have fond memories of being allowed to shift his little Datsun 280ZX when I was, I don't know....12-14...and then figuring out the clutch and everything once I had a learner's permit.  I ended up buying a Mitsubishi Eclipse when I was out of college, so those skills came in handy!  Plus DH had a manual transmission when we first married.

These days?  Far more rare to see a manual.  For me, it's a nice to know...but not necessarily a must know.

(ETA: Europe and elsewhere is a good point.  Saw a lot more manuals in Egypt, too.)

Edited by umsami

My first car was a Mazda 626 GT Turbo (and I was 16!... yep I was spoiled!). Needless to say it was a stick shift. I prided myself on being able drive that car smoothly. 

My husband REALLY can't drive a stick. He honestly makes an automatic feel like a stick, so I tend to drive everywhere otherwise I end up with an ab workout. 

My oldest wants to work with fast cars. He LOVES cars and has since he was about 18 months old. I think he pretty much has to learn how to drive a standard transmission. Most sports cars you need to drive manual transmission to make them do the sporty things. 

I learned on manual, taught my son on manual and he took his driving test on a manual. I think it's important because you never know when you would be in an emergency situation and need to use someone's car, and it be a manual. Also, car technology for the masses takes a while so google may be driving cars for some, but not for most (IMHO).

We have a bunch of manuals in this family and I cannot drive them. I know how but am not comfortable. I am really looking forward to my children learning because we *have* had emergency situations where we needed to get my husband to the hospital and I was the only driver left with a car I could barely operate.

I've been meaning to suck it up and just practice more as an adult. Ego has prevented thus far but I'm almost over it :p

Well, my children drive tractors, so they learn that pretty early.

There for a while it seemed like every truck we bought came with an automatic and the first thing my boys did was take out the transmission and put in a manual. I can't tell you how many trannys my boys have swapped out!

My car is stick and 1/2 of our pick ups are. If I jump into an automatic I often find myself reaching for the clutch with my foot anyhow to start it!

• Like 1