Menu

Sam's Club

BlsdMama

Sam's sent me a "free" membership for, I thought, one year.  I don't have the card anymore.  Must have been 90 days because today I see they charged my debit card  $100 for a full Plus membership.  I have a Costco membership.  Honestly, it was a trial run.  I'm not that impressed.  Do you think they'll refund it?

:glare:

ETA:  Do you find it worth it?  What about with a Costco membership?

With the free trial we've been there 4-5 times.  I go to Costco bi-weekly.  I love the quality of what I get there.  I *really* love my cash back check.  Sam's Club is closer to us, but really, I can't imagine it would be worth the $100/year.  Meh.  Sell me on it?

Edited by BlsdMama

I prefer Sam's over Costco.  When I first made the switch I didn't notice much difference in merchandise and the Costco was always insanely jammed packed.   So, for me it was a no-brainer.  However, I wouldn't get the $100 membership, I always got the cheapest one.

Now I hardly ever shop there so I've let my membership lapse.  I don't have a lot of kids living at home anymore and I really don't have a need very often for bulk items. 

• Like 1

Sam's has a $45/year option, which is what we have.  I have never been to a Costco, so I can't compare the two.

For us, the $45/year is worth it.  We live in a small town, so everything expensive.  (I know expensive is relative, but driving about an hour away to a much bigger town can save quite a bit of money for us)   I can get twice as much toilet paper at Sam's for the same price I would pay for it in town. 

Edited by LuvToRead
  • Like 1

I can't sell you on it.  We got a membership a couple of years ago because gas was way cheaper there (and we drove a Suburban gas-hog) and we had some kind of coupon for a discount on the membership.  It is closer to home than Costco, which does not sell gas.

I much prefer Costco.  I think the prices are pretty close.  Sam's has better selection of bagged salads and decent-quality sausages (chicken not pork, different flavors, etc).  Their take-and-bake pizzas are a good bit cheaper but are also the same price and quality as Walmart.  For me, that wouldn't be a reason to spend an additional $100 a year.

We don't drive the Suburban anymore and of course gas prices are down; there's a difference of only about 2 or 3 cents a gallon from the regular "local" stations which don't have long lines.  So no advantage there anymore.

Costco stores are much cleaner and the employees are so far above Sam's in terms of customer service and professionalism.  That shouldn't make a difference, but it does for me.   We still have our membership because of mindlessly renewing, but we probably won't bother next year.

Sorry. 

ETA: We have the $45 a year membership.

Edited by marbel

Costco stores are much cleaner and the employees are so far above Sam's in terms of customer service and professionalism.  That shouldn't make a difference, but it does for me.   We still have our membership because of mindlessly renewing, but we probably won't bother next year.

Sorry. 

ETA: We have the $45 a year membership.

Maybe this varies by store.  I have no complaints about the cleanliness or service at our local Sam's.  That part was fine.

• Like 1

I love pizza yet have low standards for quality, lol. That said, a Sam's pizza from their snack bar was the nastiest thing I've ever tasted. 

Customer service and store cleanliness are better at our local Costco. Our Costco (and most near me) do sell gas, unlike for a PP. 

Sam's is just OK. I like Costco and get many items there, and not all are bulk purchases.

I have plus memberships to both Sam's Club and Costco.  Our Costco has only been open for a few months, so I have only been shopping there for a short while.

I have had the plus membership at Sam's Club for years, and the number one reason is the hours are better for a plus member.  I love to do my errand running first thing in the morning- a plus member can get in the doors at Sam's at 7:00am.  AND there are no demo/sample people about until regular hours.  Sam's Club marks down their meat in the morning, and when I am there shopping I get first pick of anything that has that orange discount sticker on it.  I've saved a TON of money over the years on meat by shopping in the morning.   Sam's also started the money back thing a year or so ago.  For every $500 spent in club, I get $10 back at the end of a year of membership.  That becomes available in my account that I can take out as cash, use for a purchase, or apply it to my membership.  It looks like this coming year my membership renewal won't cost me a penny.  Our Sam's Club does not have gas.

I shop at Sam's Club so often that I know the prices there like the back of my hand. Also, in recent months, Sam's Club has really stepped up its game with regard to an organic selection of products. 

I was really excited when Costco opened and bought the exclusive membership six weeks before our store even opened.  It's an extremely convenient location for me. More convenient than Sam's, and I'd heard so many good things about Costco.  My first trip through I was a little disappointed, to be honest.  I found, across the board, that it is more expensive to shop the same items I would usually get at Sam's Club.  The exceptions are organic eggs, organic whole milk, and butter.  However, their Kirkland brand of organics has been of an exceptional quality so far of everything we've tried. The take and bake pizzas are great- much better than Sam's Club, and my kids LOVED getting a churro from the snack stand for just $1.00 the last time we were there together.  The only fresh meat I have bought at Costco so far is ground beef.  I've been in there several times a week over the last two months and cannot figure out if/when they mark down meat.  Costco carries cuts of meat that I've never found anywhere else.  I hope that is standard and stays that way.  I was surprised to find pork belly and brisket there- no one else around here carries those other than a small butcher market.  

The bakery/baked goods at Sam's Club are more extensive than at Costco.  Costco doesn't have simple things fresh baked, like hamburger/sandwich rolls that I buy a lot.  They have the pre-packaged breads/rolls/buns, but I prefer fresh bakery goods.  I think Sam's rotisserie chickens taste better than Costco's, though Costco's seem to be a bit more plump.  

I have gotten gas at Costco- I appreciate that the price is about a nickle cheaper than any other gas station.  I hate the hours at Costco.  They don't open until 10:00 am, and they close early as well.  

I plan to keep the plus memberships for both.  They both have their positives and their negatives for me and my family.  If I was forced to pick one, I think I would choose Sam's Club over Costco.  The biggest advantage to me right now at Sam's is the extra hours they are open, AND the self-check station.  I can be in and out of Sam's Club in just five minutes if I know exactly what I need.   But overall there are things I prefer at Sam's, and things I prefer at Costco.  

• Like 1

We have both Sam's Club and BJ's memberships. No Costco near me. :(  We keep both because they have different things, and the gas prices are lower than regular gas stations. BJ's is on dh's wat to and from work, so he usually gets gas there and sometimes stops to pick up items we routinely buy. I pass Sam's more often and end up getting my gas there. We usually shop BJ's together (except for dh's quick stops), but I generally go to Sam's on my own.

We split a Costco membership with my mom. I prefer it to Sam's because I think the quality and variety of food, especially fresh foods and meats, is better. I agree with the customer service and cleanliness comment too, but this could vary widely from store to store. My kids think Costco has better samples and they love to eat lunch there! :)

• Like 3

I had both Costco and Sam's memberships for a year.  I dropped the Costco for several reasons.  

First, I hated having to use their American Express card.  My Discover card gives much better rewards.  Plus, the customer service for the Am. Ex. is terrible.  We have a credit rating of 850 (out of 850), in other words, a perfect credit rating, yet they treated me as if I were a credit risk (placing me on probation for six months when my payment was one day late).  Sam's will let me use whatever credit card I want.  

Second, there were several items that are staples in our house that aren't available at Costco.  

Third, our local Costco isn't in a convenient location.  It is difficult to get there, and difficult to park, and it's always so crowded.  The Sam's is right off the freeway, so it's easy to swing by for gas or a few items without having to commit a whole bunch of time.

I'm sure they'll let you cancel or change your membership, but you'll probably need to do it in person.

• Like 1

I had both Costco and Sam's memberships for a year.  I dropped the Costco for several reasons.  

First, I hated having to use their American Express card.  My Discover card gives much better rewards.  Plus, the customer service for the Am. Ex. is terrible.  We have a credit rating of 850 (out of 850), in other words, a perfect credit rating, yet they treated me as if I were a credit risk (placing me on probation for six months when my payment was one day late).  Sam's will let me use whatever credit card I want.  

<snip>

Is that a recent change, like accepting AMEX?   I haven't been there in a couple of months, but when I did go, the only place I could use VISA was at the gas pump.   Even their acceptance of AMEX is recent; before that our Sam's would take only Mastercard; not sure if only their branded one or a different one.  I didn't think they even took Discover. 

Costco. They pay a living wage to their employees.

Sam's is part of Walmart and Walmart is responsible for driving down the standard of living in the USA. Since I am fortunate enough to live somewhere with choices I will not support Walmart and will support the company that takes care of it's employees.

I split the membership fee with my mother.

• Like 3

I have belonged to all three at different times in the last 12 years. We currently travel about 20 miles to go to Costco (they are building one about 2 miles away). It is well worth it for us. We eat Paleo, and I can get almond milk there, I can get many seasonal vegetables, most of our meat (most of that is organic) and several other items. It really has been worth it for us even though the drive there STINKS. I live in New Jersey, 20 miles is NOT fun. 

BJ's we dropped when they didn't offer organics like we like.

Sams we dropped for the same reason. 

Costco sells a TON of organics. I think because they are based out of Seattle. I know they also are quick to stock products that people want. I went to a Costco in Harrisburg, PA in June and found these coconut rolls that my youngest loves. I went back to my Costco and asked for them. In 2 months they were and they were a huge hit. A couple of weeks ago I even found them at my church! Talk about full circle!

Per a manager at Costco during Christmas, they are dropping the contract with AmEx and moving to Visa sometime in the next few months.

I will not shop at Sam's nor at Walmart, so it's Costco for us.

Costco has had their own AmEx branded card forever but have taken other AmEx cards as well so it's only debit or AmEx there.  I like the AmEx.  Unfortunately, you're right.  They are going with Citi Visa.  You'll be able to use any Visa though so I guess I'm using my Freedom for additional rewards.

There was never any either/or situation in my mind, lol.  I'm a dyed in the wool Costco customer.  My only question is whether or not I could like Sam's too.  Costco is just slightly under an hour away, but worth the drive, and we do it twice a month.  Sam's, OTOH, is about 20 minutes away and I drive into town almost every day for DS' classes.  

So I went into the store yesterday and asked about the $100 charge that was pending in my checking account.  Turns out it is NOT a membership fee.  I always use my debit card with pin for gas.  DH went the other day to get gas and he did not use his pin so it pre-auth'd $100 for gas.  When it updates for the actual amount then it will update to the actual amount. 

I couldn't think why Sam's might be charging me exactly $100 even unless it was for the Plus membership? ;)  But, turns out, my free trial membership is good until next October. 

We evaluated it yesterday and honestly don't think it's worth the membership for us since we already have and use the Costco membership regularly.  

We don't have a Costco anywhere around here (they might build one??). We got a Sam's membership a few months ago. It was $45. We go weekly. We noticed we were saving money, but buying a lot of "junk" food. So now we're trying to be more conscious of what we're buying.

We can get a large bag of lettuce pretty cheap, but half will go bad if we don't pay attention!

We started buying packs of 2 loaves of organic bread that we found recently. We are in LOVE with this bread! Alpine Valley is the brand

They started selling our OJ (Simply brand) in 3 packs. I was like are you kidding me?? But I guess it's cheaper that way. So now we end up with a 3pk in the fridge which is pretty ridiculous.

We definitely cannot rely on Sam's or Wal-Mart for all our healthy items, but there are definitely things we buy there that save us money. I regret the diaper choice, though. I think the Sam's brand irritates dd so we're going back to another brand. Seemed like a bargain at first.

Sometimes we buy gas at the Sam's Club gas station.

I don't know too much how Sam's compares to Costco because I haven't lived near a Costco since I was like 11 years old.

I think it depends on what you are buying. I prefer Costco to SAMs only because their organic selection is better, but our SAMs is getting better. That said we have SAMs since it's closer and with young children a five minute drive vs thirty makes more sense right now. Our SAMs consistently has much less expensive gas (at least 10-20+ cents per gallon). We are at SAMs at least twice a month (more for gas) and typically I don't buy in bulk, but we still do save than the the membership with what we buy and gas savings. I'm lucky though since mil has a Costco membership and will take me there to stock up on the things I prefer from there. I do not like that they will only take their card, cash and checks (although I vaguely remember SAMs club doing this 20 years ago when they opened?) and at me I can use anything.

ETA: we do not have the $100 membership. I don't quite get it...we've been content with what we've had for the past 15 years

Edited by Clmegancm

Second, there were several items that are staples in our house that aren't available at Costco.  

Third, our local Costco isn't in a convenient location.  It is difficult to get there, and difficult to park, and it's always so crowded.  The Sam's is right off the freeway, so it's easy to swing by for gas or a few items without having to commit a whole bunch of time.

I'm sure they'll let you cancel or change your membership, but you'll probably need to do it in person.

I had a Costco membership for years -- from before I was married to two years ago. (so over 10 years). But we lived in the Puget Sound when we got it. And lived where there was NO convenient Costco location when we left -- the most convenient was half an hour away and on a busy highway where it was ALWAYS busy to go in and out. AND they dropped Mr. Pibb so there wasn't even that reason to stay.

The Sam's Club is on our way to and from church. It is our regular lunch on Sunday afternoons, and we pick up staples we've run out of during the week. Very slick and never tempted to buy lots of extras because we know we'll be back in a week or two.

Is that a recent change, like accepting AMEX?   I haven't been there in a couple of months, but when I did go, the only place I could use VISA was at the gas pump.   Even their acceptance of AMEX is recent; before that our Sam's would take only Mastercard; not sure if only their branded one or a different one.  I didn't think they even took Discover. 

I don't know about AmEx, since many, many places won't accept it.  I just looked at the Sam's website, and they are now offering a Sam's Club MasterCard (says it's new, but doesn't indicate how new).  That may be why they don't accept Visa.  They still offer their Sam's Club credit card (not associated with MasterCard) -- I have that one, but I never use it.  They have always taken my Discover.  I put everything on Discover, so that means the most to me.  

• Like 1

I have a Costco 30 minutes away and a Sam's 10 minutes away. I've had memberships to both but kept only the Sam's membership. It's closer, much less crowded, has been expanded its organics selection a lot, I had the $35 business membership but went to the $100 Plus membership because I'm in there all the time. Last year I got $160 in credit. They've improved that program a lot over the past few years.

We will be getting a Costco that's about 15 minutes away and I'll have to decide which one I want to go with at that point. I don't think it would be worth having both memberships.

:iagree:

I actually hate Costco.  I got a membership for a year and only went 4 times.  It's actually closer to me than Sam's by a few minutes, but the hours are inconvenient (with the Plus membership I can get into Sam's at 7), and the shoppers extremely rude (seriously, it was a battle to move the cart around people just to shop).  Add to that they didn't have anything I couldn't get at Sam's anyway, and I let it expire with glee.  I'm sure other Costco stores don't have the influx of rude people this one has, but boy...am I soured on it.

• Like 2

We have a BJ's about fifteen minutes away from us - we dropped our membership years ago when a Target opened near us. We are a small family who doesn't need to buy in bulk a lot. I can usually beat their prices with good planning and coupons and I end up with package sizes that are appropriate for our family. 

We have a Costo opening this spring close to our Target. If we join, it will be for the prices on contact lenses and eyeglasses. But, we will likely wait until we need those before we jump in - so we'll look at it in the fall.