Menu

"Screwball" Comdies -- Help me think of some?

Okay, we're getting pretty tired of watching the same movies over and over. Plus, my son seems to have the makings of a genuine film lover. So, we're trying to expand his horizons a bit. Specifically, we're trying to think of some classic "screwball" comedies. You know, the ones with the silly, impossibly complex plots?

Some of our favorites of the genre are:

Some Like It Hot

Bringing Up Baby

What's Up, Doc?

Foul Play

Philadelphia Story

Noises Off (although that's probably more of a farce, if you want to get technical)

I've done some web surfing and keep finding lists, but nothing is really jumping out at me as being our next favorite.

Any ideas?

My son is 10, but we're not terribly worried about romantic content. As long as there's nothing graphic, it's no big deal. I would prefer to avoid serious language issues, and violence should be minimal (although that's not likely to be a big problem in these flicks).

Thanks!

It Happened One Night

Harvey

Arsenic and Old Lace (its been awhile since I've seen it so it may not be all that screw ball-y, but....)

and that's all my befuddled brain can think of at this point on Sunday night (wine with dinner, doncha know?!!)

Although, the early Rogers and Astaire musicals have pretty screw ball plots:

Top Hat

Swing Time

Gay Divorcee

ummmm -- can't think of the other titles!

It Happened One Night

The Front Page (and the other one, like it)

Adam and Eve....shoot, the Tracy Hepburn one about two attorneys.

Its a Mad....Mad World

Marx Brothers...maybe

Arsenic and Old Lace

Ohhhh can't remember name...the one were the dad and uncle were inventors in the basement and mother was an writer and they had a pack of daughters from the late 40's I think

Drop Dead Darling (Tony Curtis as a lady killer)

If Its Tuesday, this must be Belgium

Mother, Jugs, and Speed (although it gets stupid in the middle, Larry Hageman as the perverted ambulance driver who is bitten by a rat after falling through a staircase carrying out the hugest woman alive on a stretcher, which gets away from him and flies down the city streets is an opening scene you just can't miss). ooops, I just saw this was for your son. Mother, Jugs and Speed is for grown-ups.

Genevieve (an antique car race in England)

A New Leaf

The Out of Towners with Sandy Dennis

We just finished watching Mr. Bean's Holiday. It is rated G. My kids laughed alot. I think Mr. Bean is as screwball as you can get.

Dh and I remembered It's a Mad Mad Mad World. It is an oldie but we remembered liking it way back when. There is a 1970's version out but I have not watched it. I'm thinking of the one from 1963.

:001_smile:

In addition to some of the oldies but goodies already mention I offer up the following from the screwball comedy genre:

Murder, He Says with Fred McMurray (if you've never seen it you'll recognize a few of the scenes because it is frequently ripped off)

Topper with Cary Grant

My Man Godfrey with William Powell

The Thin Man and sequels with William Powell and Myrna Loy (which also have a mystery element)

I Was a Male War Bride with Cary Grant

His Girl Friday with Cary Grant and Rosalind Russell (this is one of my all-time favorites)

Nothing Sacred with Carole Lumbard and Fredric March

Mr. and Mrs. Smith (Alfred Hitchcock's only true comedy)

kalanamak-are you thinking of Adam's Rib?

You can't forget all of the Abbott and Costello, Three Stooges, Marx Brothers, Ma and Pa Kettle, and Dean Martin/Jerry Lewis movies (and Charlie Chaplin).

Then there's:

The Incredible Mr. Limpit (w/Don Knotts as a fish--I loved this movie as a kid!)

Mr. Mom

The Money Pit

The Long, Long Trailer

Mrs. Doubtfire

InnerSpace

Home Alone

What About Bob

RV

Ghostbusters

Guest Virginia Dawn

Some that haven't been mentioned:

Don Knotts:

The Ghost and Mr. Chicken

Hot Lead and Cold Feet

Gus

Monkeys Go Home (Dean Jones)

Doris Day is in a lot of romantic comedies besides The Glass Bottom Boat, that one is hilarious.

Dean Martin/Jerry Lewis movies (did someone mention that?)

The Naked Gun movies (Leslie Neilson)

Happy Gilmore (this is not one of my favorites but dh loves it)

A lot of good ones mentioned! Thanks for the list, dh and I love to watch these.

I don't think these were mentioned yet:

Another Tony-Curtis-as-lady-killer: Arrivederci, Baby!

Cary Grant: Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House

Not really screwball, but I love the original Bedazzled.

Did anyone mention His Girl Friday?

Not quite screwball, but one of our favorite older comedies is Whiskey Galore! (aka Tight Little Island). It's unfortunately not available standalone, but is part of the Ealing Studios Comedy Collection. Netflix carries it.

Whew! I was afraid no one was going to mention the Bob Hope movies!

Abbott and Costello: Africa Screams, and Jack and the Beanstalk are loved here.

Danny Kaye in The Court Jester!

Laurel and Hardy...

You guys have listed many of my favorites.

Cary Grant: Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House

Oh.my.garsh! YES. Mr. Blandings is a side-splitter that never gets old. One of Cary Grant's best comedic turns, along with His Girl Friday (did I already mention that it's one of all-time faves? :D). And for funniest onscreen moments, his double-take in Arsenic and Old Lace takes the cake. I've seen it a thousand times, and his face makes me laugh every single time!

The Long Trailer with Lucille Ball and Desi Arnez

Road to Zanzibar/Morocco/Rio/Singapore/Bali movies with Bing Crosby and Bob Hope

Mr. Roberts

What about Strictly Ballroom? I haven't seen this in a long time, so I can't remember if there is anything that I wouldn't let my kids watch.