Menu

Why Prime shipments are late...

Slache

I just got off the phone with an amazon rep and I finally have the answer. The reason my item is not going to be here until the 6th is because they were out of stock at the warehouse, but amazon didn't say "out of stock" because if I hadn't clicked free 2 day shipping it would have shipped the next day from another warehouse at my expense. You only get 2 day free shipping if it's stocked at the right location.

• Like 3

Amazon's explanation doesn't make sense to me.  I order things from Amazon marketplace sellers that are Prime eligible (which I figure means that the seller has paid Amazon to store and ship them), and most of them are used books, something that the seller doesn't have all that many of - in some cases, I'm pretty sure there was only one of them.  (Just checked - found a Prime-eligible used copy of The Ugly Duckling where it's the only one.)  And all those shipped normally and got here in two days like they are supposed to, however far the warehouse it was stored it.

• Like 3

Amazon's explanation doesn't make sense to me. I order things from Amazon marketplace sellers that are Prime eligible (which I figure means that the seller has paid Amazon to store and ship them), and most of them are used books, something that the seller doesn't have all that many of - in some cases, I'm pretty sure there was only one of them. (Just checked - found a Prime-eligible used copy of The Ugly Duckling where it's the only one.) And all those shipped normally and got here in two days like they are supposed to, however far the warehouse it was stored it.

I don't think it matters how far it is, but which warehouses are equipped to handle it.

Yeah, I'm not buying their reply either. I live in the middle of the country and ordered several things this season. They came from all over the place. Everything arrived as promised, only one order was longer than two days but I ordered it on a Friday night and knew the two days wouldn't start until Monday - part of that shipment got here early. I have Prime and also do the free 2-day shipping.  

• Like 3

I don't think it matters how far it is, but which warehouses are equipped to handle it.

Ok, so that implies that they only store third-party sellers' stuff in Prime-equipped warehouses (which would make sense).  But that brings up the question of why they have non-Prime-equipped warehouses in the first place??? 

ETA:  I will say that I've ordered tons of stuff with Prime, including several things this Christmas, and all of them came just like they were supposed to.

Edited by forty-two

Ok, so that implies that they only store third-party sellers' stuff in Prime-equipped warehouses (which would make sense).  But that brings up the question of why they have non-Prime-equipped warehouses in the first place??? 

I know. It's all a bunch of crap. Either don't tell me it will be here in 2 days or charge more for Prime so you can keep your promise.

• Like 4

A LOT of our stuff this Christmas came late despite the Prime. Or, not too late for the holiday, but way more than the promised two day shipping. It felt like the whole system got overtaxed.

I read somewhere that they are planning to start their own delivery service (including buying airplanes) because they are unhappy with FedEx and UPS. 

• Like 5

I read somewhere that they are planning to start their own delivery service (including buying airplanes) because they are unhappy with FedEx and UPS.

I know they're planning on something similar to uber. My husband is signed up to be a driver as soon as possible.
  • Like 3

I only had one order not arrive on time this season.  Unfortunately that was the one I ordered specifically with 1 day shipping because it had already noted that it would take 1-2 extra processing for that item.  It was supposed to arrive Christmas Eve.  Luckily it was for a 92 yo who was thrilled with her viola flowers and picture of the kids.  I'll get the book I ordered to her when it finally arrives.

Amazon may already have their own delivery service! Months ago, I ordered something small (about 1 pound) from an EBAY seller in AZ.  When I requested a Tracking Number, he could not give that to me. I believe he was the only one with access to the Tracking. He wrote that it was a Private carrier. It was very fast and by that time had been delivered in Miami, FL  Amazon Fulfillment or something like that.

Amazon Marketplace Sellers who are FBA  (Fulfillment by Amazon) do ship their items to Amazon and after that the Seller has no idea which Amazon warehouse is storing their merchandise. I try to avoid FBA Sellers, because their Feedback ratings are artificially high.

I've had my own minor issues with Amazon in the past but, for us, everything went just as it was supposed to this holiday.   I ordered 38 items to be delivered to 3 locations, all on time or early.

There were many, many things listed as "may not arrive by Christmas" by the time I was finishing up the weekend before.

There was some confusion about gift wrapping on one order, but it worked out.

I ordered a lot from Amazon this season, and had no problems, but I had most of my shopping done a few days after Thanksgiving. Sorry you had trouble, op. I suspect things will go downhill with Amazon as they grab more and more of the market and there are fewer options elsewhere.

• Like 3

Amazon's response is crazy.......... I placed about twenty orders this holiday season and they all came on time. All through Prime. Three of them were ordered on the 21st and were here before Christmas. They weren't even Christmas gifts.................

Don't even get me going with Amazon!  I ordered on 12/12 and the item was primed so it should have been here in two days- nothing.  Kept checking and the item was listed as we're getting this ready for shipping.  Uh huh....so on 12/23 they still hadn't sent so I called.  Oh, we'll send it out ASAP and expedite so you'll have it on 12/24.  Uh huh.. Morning of 12/24 I check and it states "getting ready to ship" so I call again.  Well, we don't have it in stock so it won't be getting there today.  Duh! But you didn't have it in stock on the 23 either so why did that rep lie to me?  I'm just not thinking they were selling out of a plastic army unique play set - that supposedly was in stock waaaayyyy back on 12/12.  Reps solution was to offer $5.00 for compensation.  Nope.  That item was the only thing my ds had asked to receive for Christmas and now I had to head to ToysRUs to find something in a picked-clean shelved store to give to him to compensate.  Then she offered to comp my prime for a month - which equals about $5.00.  Unreal.  I understand the transportation issues but the not in stock and no communication - way back to 12/12, not acceptable.  But they were kind enough to send me an email at 1:30 pm on 12/24 to let me know the item wasn't going to arrive in time.  Gee, thanks.

It's excuseless.  Essentially you're saying if Joe (non-Prime member) paid for his shipping he'd get his item.  But, because you (Prime member) get your 2 day shipping (the only reason to BE a member IMO) you don't get your item.

It's the most ridiculous thing I've heard.  I did get all of my Amazon orders on time this year, but that just isn't a decent excuse for them to dole out.

• Like 3

I know they're planning on something similar to uber. My husband is signed up to be a driver as soon as possible.

That's what it sounds like they are doing with the same day delivery already (Prime NOW).  The $5 tip goes to the driver.

Their reason makes no sense and I seriously doubt it is accurate.  I've heard of occasions when one rep says something that contradicts what another has said so I wouldn't put too much stock in what one single one says in a situation like this.

We had about 15 regular deliveries plus two PrimeNOW between Thanksgiving and Christmas.  Some we clicked no rush to get the bonus credit.  Nothing Prime came more than 2 days later and of the no rush shipments, two came within 2 days.  The PrimeNOW came within 2 hours as promised.

• Like 3

Their reason makes no sense and I seriously doubt it is accurate.  I've heard of occasions when one rep says something that contradicts what another has said so I wouldn't put too much stock in what one single one says in a situation like this.

Ditto.  No way do I believe what that rep told you is correct.  It doesn't even make any sense.

• Like 1

One thing I discovered that can make a difference is that if you are ordering a bunch of items that all have Prime Shipping, the default is for the box to be checked that says "ship in as few packages as possible." If you don't change that to "ship items as available," then your entire order will be held up for the least available item. I've gone to check out and noticed just before I hit the submit button, that my all-Prime order had a guaranteed delivery date of like a week instead of 2 days. Then I checked the "ship as available" box and suddenly 5 of the 6 items had 2 day delivery and it was just 1 item that would take a week (even though it was listed as Prime eligible).

• Like 3

I placed three orders at Amazon today (don't judge lol).  I think I may understand what the rep was trying to - but failing to - communicate.  It's even possible the rep didn't understand what was actually going on with multiple warehouses and so bungled the explanation terribly.  The first order I placed this morning will be here Wednesday.  2 days.  The second order I placed was interesting.  I had 22 hours to place the order to get 2 day shipping arriving by... Monday.  A week from today (there's a holiday in there, but it's still more than 2 days from now, but not more than 2 business days from when the deadline is for it to be ordered by to go to packaging and shipping).  Now what was interesting is I could select no rush shipping and still get it on Monday and get a $1 ebook credit.  I opted for that.  I suspect if I had gone with 2 day shipping, it might arrive early, but I'm not especially in a hurry so Monday is fine.  The third order I just placed a few minutes ago and it'll be here Wednesday.  Again, 2 days.  I'm guessing the second order I placed is an item coming from a further away warehouse so that's why they can't be sure of getting it here by Wednesday like the other two items.

One thing I discovered that can make a difference is that if you are ordering a bunch of items that all have Prime Shipping, the default is for the box to be checked that says "ship in as few packages as possible." If you don't change that to "ship items as available," then your entire order will be held up for the least available item. I've gone to check out and noticed just before I hit the submit button, that my all-Prime order had a guaranteed delivery date of like a week instead of 2 days. Then I checked the "ship as available" box and suddenly 5 of the 6 items had 2 day delivery and it was just 1 item that would take a week (even though it was listed as Prime eligible).

Ds was ordering today and had the same thing. One book would have delayed the whole order.

That's really interesting.  I wonder if they actually do that much business that they could have an entire shipping fleet all their own.  I will say that I am a devoted Prime customer and I order a lot of stuff online because it is easy and I don't live in a large city with access to anything.  However, I have been super disappointed with their shipping and packaging over the last year and a half.  It has gone downhill like mad.  Packages arrive damaged, opened, busted, etc.  This is not infrequent.  To me, it seems more of a packaging issue than a shipping issue though.  I ordered some laundry detergent that is a powder, and super heavy, and they shipped it INSIDE the same box with a little box of soft granola bars.  Of course the bars were smushed.  They keep doing that, shipping food and things like cleaning products in the same box.  Driving me batty.  There have been a few times in the last month where I have thought, I am never ordering from Amazon again, but then of course I do.   :laugh:

Edited by Grantmom