Menu

Charitable Organizations -faves? worst?

which organizations do you really really like or have severe reservations about?

Since charitable organizations came up in another thread, i was curious :)

i tend to support the local crisis pregnancy center [abortion alternative] first, other local needs I know about next, and Heifer Int'l for a global group. I have severe reservations about groups that fund or provide abortions, and I rarely give to official art charities, though i often give small scholarship opportunities to some local art classes :)

But j.griff had reservations about Heifer Int'l:

I don't belive the Heifer Project is actually helping anyone either. They are giving cows to people who were not depending on cows before. Then those people have to have grain to feed the cow. If they spent that time/money educating them and providing a way for them to grow real food, then they would be a much longer lasting and life sustaining project. There are more sensible vegan charities that help provide actual solutions instead of spreading the problems developed countries have from raising animals for food.

Now, i *do* know and understand that many vegetarians [and non-veg's, for other reasons] would take issue w/ Heifer Int'l, so I figured this would be a way to explore other organizations that people have reservations about too.

We also give to crisis pregnancy centers. St. Jude Children's Research Hospital is another one we donate to regularly. We also make donations to individuals who need temporary help.

United Way gives me the heebie jeebies. A rep was at our business one day discussing why we should give, but she WOULD NOT say if they support abortion clinics. She skirted the question like a professional politician. Since that day, I don't trust the organization.

Good question....can't wait to see some more good charities.

Aggie

Well, according to j.griff we ought not be giving money to organizations that do charitable work anyway.

I like Heifer Int., Kiva, the NotForSale Campaign, Stop the Traffik, our local women and children's shelter, our local crisis pregnancy center (no protests, just free pregnancy tests, ultrasounds, maternity clothing, baby clothing, car seats, etc, NO abortion clinic protests), our local shelter for rape victims, our local after school tutoring and enrichment program, our local RIFA (food pantry, help with utilities, help with school uniforms to meet the requirement of our local public schools) just to name a few.

I regularly give to a local group that provides mammograms to under and uninsured women

I also sponsor my friend when she raises funds for the American Cancer Society during their annual Relay for Life.

I do not give to the many groups who call on behalf of area fire and police, to kids at my door asking me to buy stale candy, or any of the other groups who spend more on administration than on the cause they claim to support.

Habitat for Humanity.

Oops, forgot that one. Add that one to my list of favorites too!

My oldest son went on a Habitat trip in high school. They went to Mississippi and built two houses in one week. It was one of the highlights of his teen years. He loved getting to know the hardworking people who were getting the house.

Originally Posted by Kelli in TN

Well, according to j.griff we ought not be giving money to organizations that do charitable work anyway.

:confused:

{{I didn't post ALL of J.griff's thoughts --she apparently doesn't consider throwing money at an issue as "taking action" to really support it. But this thread isn't really supposed to be about how one views supporting organizations, but whether there are organizations out there that we have resrvations about --whether we are supporting them financially or wouldn't bother to lick their envelopes ;) }}

{{I didn't post ALL of J.griff's thoughts --she apparently doesn't consider throwing money at an issue as "taking action" to really support it. But this thread isn't really supposed to be about how one views supporting organizations, but whether there are organizations out there that we have resrvations about --whether we are supporting them financially or wouldn't bother to lick their envelopes ;) }}

Okay, sorry. I am in a really bad place after reading her response to me in that thread. So I am logging off, popping a melatonin and I think I will spend the weekend on my real life. I am way too angry over something on a message board. This can't be healthy.

Walk away, Kelli, real life is out there not in here.

This isn't a big organization, but we support 5 children at the Village of Hope in Ghana. A friend of mine went over there in July and set my girls up as penpals with 2 little girls over there.

We also give to St. Judes and March of Dimes. And support a friend on her Three-Day with the Komen Race for the Cure.

Most of our money is given through our church though. We can specify what we want the money to be used for and we do a lot of community work so I will specify as projects come up that are very important to me.

ETA: I forgot the Salvation Army.

I donate OBJECTS most often to Vietnam Veterans Assoc. and Lupus Foundation--because they pick up at the door! The nearest Goodwill is nearly 30 min away, and there's no other nearby donation site that isn't clothes-only.

Edit: At my old house, I gave STUFF most often to a local animal rehabilitation/endangered youth leadership organization, Habitat, and Goodwill.

We're also doing Samaritan's Purse this year. Money, right now, mostly goes to our church. But we're going to "give" a child sponsorship to our DS as part of his Xmas present this year, and DS has selected that we fund some sort of medical charity at the end of the year, so we're deciding which one.

I don't think I understand this thread:confused:

But we give to the local animal shelter and humane society, the goodwill, the salvation army, food to the food pantry, new toy & book drive at Christmas. My dh gives to the united way because he is browbeaten at work and actually fears not giving. we give small donations to different groups sometimes if we have the $.

i don't understand the animosity in this thread, though. what's up with that?

I don't think I understand this thread:confused:

---

i don't understand the animosity in this thread, though. what's up with that?

as far as the animosity, yeah, it was just a bit of leftovers from a previous thread. looks like it is being resolved tho -- i wouldn't worry about it too much. :)

but as for understanding THIS thread, I was wondering if people have any reservations about specific organizations --j.griff shared a reservation about a popular charity and offered an alternative.

someone else shared a reservation about the Red Cross, but no explanation as to why yet.

While i DO want to see what organizations are favorites of this board, i also wanted to open it up to the opposite end of the spectrum. i like to see what makes people tick :)

hope that helps-

Peek this is a great thread. Very positive and uplifting to talk about charities after some of the heavy conversations that I've gotten drawn into!

I give to The Nature Conservancy and Farm Aid in honor of my grandparents, whom I miss very much.

I give to Dhamma Moli and thank the heavens that I don't live in a country where my daughter is at risk of being sold to a brothel.

I give to my local sangha and my dh gives to various environmental organizations (esp Earth Share, because that covers a lot.)

Sounds great, but I can't explain that you a 5-y-o! He's looking more for medical groups that target children, specifically.

Of course not!:001_smile: I didn't mean to post under you...sorry. I have yet to figure out how to just post regularly. They always end up posting under the last tread I read. Ugh! :tongue_smilie:

it adresses some of those concerns. Followup studies have been done, and tend to support Heifer's methods, though the followup article also pointed out ways they could improve their impact. Also, the Heifer website describes the process potential participants must go through in order to recieve their animal, and it involves attending classes that teach them how to care for their animal. Then they must show Heifer the houseing they've made and provisions they've made to feed and care for it. So the website suggests it's a deliberate process that would screen out people who might now be willing to do what is needed to benefit from the gift.

We give to the United Way, which supports many local charities, to Heifer, and to Habitat.

I was very sad to learn that Heifer has a rather large giving project right here in the USA.

Guest Virginia Dawn

You know I got to thinking about this. We support other organizations too, by donations (not necessarily monetary) or purchases.

Our church food pantry

The VFW

Children's Hospital of the King's Daughters

Local public school kids (buying Christmas wrapping paper and candy)- this one amuses me,*I* never ask for donations to help my kids go on field trips or buy equipment. ;)

Here are the two charities closest to our hearts:

Special Olympics (my 14yo son *loves* playing for the SO .. he's so proud! so we want to make sure they stay around for a long, long time so that more and more children get to have that wonderful experience!)

http://www.specialolympics.org

Autism Speaks (also in honor of my 14yo and 6yo - we need more research and resources for parents)

http://www.autismspeaks.org/

We support a high school aged young woman in Tibet through Love without Boundaries' Mama's Wish program. We're excited because she just passed her college entrance exams!

local food bank

Opportunity International for loans to micro businesses in developing areas

Salvation Army especially at Christmas

Goodwill with stuff

But we're going to "give" a child sponsorship to our DS as part of his Xmas present this year, and DS has selected that we fund some sort of medical charity at the end of the year, so we're deciding which one.

Here's their website.

Low-tech solution to a pervasive problem, something easy for kids to understand, benefits kids, and low-cost enough that even a kid can save a little of his allowance and participate. (Ds just saved up enough to give one net--his first. He's really excited.)

Which organizations do you really really like or have severe reservations about?

Virtually all of them. We have almost stopped giving to 501©(3) organizations altogether with a few exceptions, one of them being the animal welfare organization of a friend of mine who has long, successful track record of wise expenditures and decision making in animal resuce work. Typically we contribute only to groups that we know operate efficiently on a shoestring budget. We give to our local gay youth group and community center, to certain local arts groups, and to a couple civil rights grassroots organizations.

Over the years, we have transitioned to giving directly to individuals in need. Seems that the kids always have some pals from emotionally chaotic, financially stressed homes who benefit from the occasional dinner out or trip to amusement park, movie, play, museum, zoo, or other attraction. Or help with purchasing school supplies or school-required fees. Recently a family member had unexpected vet bills. Another had car trouble. Whether a contribution is eligible for a tax deduction has no impact on our decision making.

We give to quite a few charities - our local food bank and our local crisis nursery. We sponsor a little girl through World Vision. I also like Heifer International, Catholic Relief Services, Catholic Near East Welfare Assoc.,

March of Dimes, Operation Christmas Child, Angel Tree prison ministry.

Two I don't like, because I believe they misrepresent themselves are Locks of Love and The GAIA Movement. I think there are better alternatives to those two particular "charities".

I support our local food bank (go here to see what I am doing for them now, and to help out), and Treehouse (provides school supplies, clothes, etc for foster kids.).

The only charity I actually give donations to is Community services for the Blind, as they do amazing work for my mama and other blind folks.

I also support First Place, a school that supports homeless and in-transition families, by donating anything used (art supplies, clothes, furniture when my nephew died, etc.). In the past, the kids and I have volunteered at the school as mentors, and mos likely will again someday.

I show my appreciation to the fire fighters by bringing them cookies and treats on Christmas eve. The kids recite holiday poems for them, we follow Santa's red nose on NORAD on the firehouse computer, etc. We have bee doing this since the kids were tiny, and both they and the firefighters look forward to this.

The kids in our circle have formed a group called Teens and Tweens Against Poverty, and have had bike-a-thons to buy goats through Heiffer, etc. We also purposefully grow extra crops in our garden, to donate o the local food bank.

In the past, we have done walk-a-thons for Aids, and March of Dimes, but

I prefer to give service versus money, and giving to local organizations that affect my local community. I do not normally like to give money to Red Cross, March of Dimes, etc. My (birth) family has had experiences in the past where these types of organizations refused to help them, and my mother had been a consistent supporter, so it really made her mad. This lead me to think of other ways I could make donations to charities and feel good about it, and allow my mother to be at ease (It would really kill her if I donated to some of these orgs.).

I like local charities a lot.

My favorite non-local charity is Samaritan's Purse run by Franklin Graham. I can tell you first-hand that his charity does so much--the shoeboxes at Christmas, the hospitals, the orphanages, the schools, the disaster relief--it's incredible. I also feel that Franklin Graham has a level of integrity that I don't always see in people who do charity/non-profit work, unfortunately.

Brother David Servant has a fantastic ministry.

www.heavensfamily.org

Our biggest form of charity is very personal. We live in the 'burbs of a very large city. We get together with other Christians and take food, clothing, blankets, and the Word of God to the homeless that live in the downtown area.

Life changing, really. Much different than writing a check. Not that I have anything against that. :001_smile:

We also have some personal friends that the Lord called to the mission field.

www.puregospeltruth.com

and

www.preachingjesuschrist.com

Both of these families live totally by faith. They were not sent by a 'church', but rather they rely on the Lord and other brothers and sisters for their physical/financial support. Such great faith, it's very inspiring.

now I wanna know WHY......

:D

...why I do not like the American Red Cross (ARC).

The ARC has been plagued by scandal be it excessive salaries, sexual escapades in senior leadership, missallocating donations made expressly for 9/11 relief, misshandling blood donations (resulting in 21 million in fines since 2003). The list goes on.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6573777

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/17/us/17cross.html?hp - blood donations

http://media.www.thebatt.com/media/storage/paper657/news/2006/03/23/Opinion/Internal.Issues.Caused.Ineffective.Red.Cross.Responses.To.Hurricanes-1714013.shtml - fundraising issues

Despite all the above what served as the final nail was a conversation I had with a pair of veterans. A Korean vet related the tale of his departure for the war and how at the station the ARC and the Salvation Army had tents set up to provide coffee and snacks. The Salvation Army was donating the food while the ARC was selling it. A recently serving veteran, upon hearing this, stated that his interactions with the ARC demonstrated similar behavior.

I far prefer to donate to charities that have less of the whiff of scandal and while I am certain that the ARC is a force for good, I find that there are others that seem to spend my money without such claims being made against them.

Sincerely pqr

We always give to Billy Graham's ministry.

I have a few family members that really could you help so we tend to do something for them when we are able. Is that still considered charity?

I usually put aside money for the kids to put into the salvation army bell ringer buckets every time we pass them for Christmas. It's fun for them instead of me just sending in a check.

Of course there are always for the canned food drives for food banks

Favs:

Our local church

Habitat for Humanity

Catholic Charities

Our local food pantry

Feed my Starving Children

Neighbor's children for magazines and candy (they have always bought boy scout popcorn!)

Not so fav: United Way. Arm twisting to give (many places expected their employees to contribute if they wanted to get ahead). Where the money is spent and if it is really helping.

Wherever I worked, they would arm twist everyone into giving, even though people had some concerns about where the money was going. One woman was a Brownie leader of a troup of very poor children. She was able to scare up donations for these girls to go to summer camp. She was able to minimize each girl's contribution to $5. The next year, United Way came along. The put in place a bunch of regulations. Many of the girls ended up dropping out because their costs went up. For summer camp, they required bus transportation, and the cost went up to $50. Not too many girls were helped by the United way.

...why I do not like the American Red Cross (ARC).

Despite all the above what served as the final nail was a conversation I had with a pair of veterans. A Korean vet related the tale of his departure for the war and how at the station the ARC and the Salvation Army had tents set up to provide coffee and snacks. The Salvation Army was donating the food while the ARC was selling it. A recently serving veteran, upon hearing this, stated that his interactions with the ARC demonstrated similar behavior.

Sincerely pqr

DH has spent a great deal of time studying WWI. There were veterans even then who preferred the Salvation Army to ARC because the Salvation Army did not charge.

Now, I can understand ARC feeling that they need to charge something. But what did frost me was when ARC was set up at the Pentagon after September 11th. DH had been in the building that day, and lost several friends and colleagues. He and another guy from his office suited up in respirators and hazmat suits to go into the office so they could ensure that all classified materials were secure. They also hoped to retrieve personal effects (The sprinklers had run in this section of the building, adjoining the actual hit. There was extensive water damaged, followed by such bad mold growths that the entire section was gutted and redone).

ARC refused to serve them food/drinks in their canteen because they weren't part of a fire or law enforcement org. I just find this to be petty and narrow minded. DH and his assistant were served food by another group (which I suspect was the Baptist Men's Association).

I would cheerfully give money to the Baptist Men's Association, which has food service units, and chain saw units and mud out units that do great work after hurricanes, floods and other disasters. My dad started out on a mud out team and is now the head of a chain saw unit. They will come and remove fallen trees or take the damaged items out of a house and do not ask for payment. They are the guys in the yellow ball caps.

I have a few family members that really could you help so we tend to do something for them when we are able. Is that still considered charity?

oh yes!

YES it is :)

charity:

1: benevolent goodwill toward or love of humanity

2 a: generosity and helpfulness especially toward the needy or suffering ;

and as tibby mentioned, you don't have to be taking a tax deduction to count it as a charity worth supporting.

pqr andf sebastian-- thanks for clarifying issues w/ the ARC.

oh yes!

YES it is :)

charity:

1: benevolent goodwill toward or love of humanity

2 a: generosity and helpfulness especially toward the needy or suffering ;

and as tibby mentioned, you don't have to be taking a tax deduction to count it as a charity worth supporting.

pqr andf sebastian-- thanks for clarifying issues w/ the ARC.

My grandfather was an AMAZING man. One of his favorites rules of thumb was, "It isn't sacrificial if it's tax deductible. Until you receive NO benefit from it, it isn't sacrificial."

That's a lot to live up to, but I certainly know people who only give up to the amount that is tax deductible, not a penny more. Now, I don't have that kind of money, but I do think he's right about the attitude of sacrificial giving.

My grandfather was an AMAZING man. One of his favorites rules of thumb was, "It isn't sacrificial if it's tax deductible. Until you receive NO benefit from it, it isn't sacrificial."

That's a lot to live up to, but I certainly know people who only give up to the amount that is tax deductible, not a penny more. Now, I don't have that kind of money, but I do think he's right about the attitude of sacrificial giving.

I do agree to a point about basing your contributions only around tax deuctible limits.

However, I disagree that that it isn't sacrificial if it isn't tax deductible. There is still some sacrifice involved --you won't see the tax deductible benefit of that for quite a while.

I also think you can make a case for being a good steward of your money --and thus have MORE to give to that organization at a later date-- by taking the tax deduction.

But ultimately, yeah-- a tax deduction is not what defines charitable giving.