Menu

Those who are pro-life, does it bother you that McCain...

Bess

believes there is an exception concerning rape or incest? I know pro-lifers are very excited about Palin, but the fact is, is that you are voting for McCain for president along with voting for his view concerning abortion. Does this bother anyone?

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

believes there is an exception concerning rape or incest? I know pro-lifers are very excited about Palin, but the fact is, is that you are voting for McCain for president along with voting for his view concerning abortion. Does this bother anyone?

Well, he's only recently decided that Roe v. Wade should be overturned. He held for years that it should *not* be overturned but he wasn't winning that way. What makes you think he'd stick with his new leaf?

Well, he's only recently decided that Roe v. Wade should be overturned. He held for years that it should *not* be overturned but he wasn't winning that way. What makes you think he'd stick with his new leaf?

Well, I agree with you. I don't happen to believe he truly is pro-life like he is saying (based on the past). I'm just questioning those who are voting for him based on his stance on being pro-life. I see his current inconsistancy, and don't hear anyone talking about it.

Rape and incest represent only 5% of all abortions. It is the most dramatic situation and, as women, we are empathetic to this. My biggest concern with allowing only rape and incest victims to be allowed abortions is that the likelihood of pregnant girl crying "rape" when it was genuinely mutual consent increases. I would hate for a teen boy to face rape charges when he and girlfriend chose to consummate their affections.

McCain's view on abortion doesn't affect my vote. His service to his country does.

As a prolife person, it does bother me. However statistically speaking rape / incest result in actual pregnancies less than 2% of the time or something like that. So while I believe it's not a baby's fault how he or she was conceived, and that he / she shouldn't have to die because of how the conception occurred, I see the reality of politics and why politicians would take that particular position.

As for changing minds or inconsistencies, aren't those present in every political candidate? Kerry, Obama, McCain, Bush... I am not particularly trusting of any of them. BUT I vote for the one whose platform AND voting record most represent a point of view which reflects my political, social & moral beliefs.

That, and who would be most likely to appoint Supreme Court justices who would interpret law in a pro-life manner, and not legislate from the bench.

Roe v Wade was passed in 1973, during a Republican administration (Richard Nixon...yeah, I know how that turned out, but he was a Republican!).

Then came Ford, another Republican.

Then we had Carter, a Democrat, for 4 years.

Then we had Reagan, a Republican, for 8 years.

Then we had George H Bush, a Republican, for 4 years.

Then we had Clinton, a Democrat, for 8 years.

Then we had George W Bush, a Republican for 8 years.

So....1973 to 2008 is 35 years. During those 35 years, only during 12 of them did we have a Democrat in office, and abortion is still legal.

Do you really believe that a truly pro-life justice could be nominated with a two-thirds majority? George W. Bush has appointed 2 justices to the Supreme Court and nothing has changed.

I guess I don't understand why this one issue is the dividing line for so many voters. I can't see Roe V. Wade ever being reversed, and I don't believe it matters whether you have a Republican or a Democrat in office -- as I believe is evidenced by the Presidents in office that I listed above.

It seems that this issue is dragged out of the closet every election, simply to divide the country.

If Roe v. Wade was overturned and the decisions on the legality of abortion were given to the states, I would jump for joy, regardless of McCain's position on abortion. He's not as pro-life as I'd like him to be, but I support him for many other reasons. I would rather that abortion wasn't legal for any reason, but I'd prefer it being legal only for rape/incest/etc. than as it is now--legal in all 50 states at any time from conception to birth.

I guess I don't understand why this one issue is the dividing line for so many voters. I can't see Roe V. Wade ever being reversed, and I don't believe it matters whether you have a Republican or a Democrat in office -- as I believe is evidenced by the Presidents in office that I listed above.

Well, I guess it depends on how you look at it. I vote pro-life because it is what God wants me to do. My faith dictates that I act in ways that glorifies God. Murdering babies does not glorify God so I cannot support it.

I realize that voting for McCain does not ensure that Roe v. Wade will be turned over. But we each are responsible for our own actions and we will be judged for them. I will answer to God for my vote and McCain will answer to God for his actions in office should he get elected.

Beyond that, all I can do is pray and know I did what I thought God wanted me to do.

If I see a homeless person on the street and give him money and he runs off and buys drugs with it, that is his problem. I did it with the right heart and the right intentions. That's the way I feel about voting. I vote my conscience and let God take care of the rest.

I can respect that, but ... then all lives are sacred -- not just the lives of the unborn.

Anywhere from 100,000 to 600,000 Iraqi civilians have been killed since the start of the Iraq war (no one knows the true number).

If innocent lives are what we're looking to save -- be they unborn or born -- I see a definite contradiction.

If Roe v. Wade was overturned and the decisions on the legality of abortion were given to the states, I would jump for joy, regardless of McCain's position on abortion. He's not as pro-life as I'd like him to be, but I support him for many other reasons. I would rather that abortion wasn't legal for any reason, but I'd prefer it being legal only for rape/incest/etc. than as it is now--legal in all 50 states at any time from conception to birth.

Is late term abortion really legal in all 50 states? I thought it was only legal in some. Or perhaps it is only practiced in a very few places? I know this came up in an earlier thread. It was my understanding that one of the reasons George Tiller's clinic in Wichita is one of the hot spots for the pro-life/pro-choice conflict is because it is one of the few places in the country that performs late term abortions. Am I wrong about this? If so, could someone explain why Wichita seems to have been such a focal point for demonstrations?

I can respect that, but ... then all lives are sacred -- not just the lives of the unborn.

Anywhere from 100,000 to 600,000 Iraqi civilians have been killed since the start of the Iraq war (no one knows the true number).

If innocent lives are what we're looking to save -- be they unborn or born -- I see a definite contradiction.

The difference is in intention. Those civilians were not killed intentionally. All those babies were. One is morally culpable, the other is not.

Not really. I'd rather he was opposed in all cases, but he is far superior to Obama as far as being pro-life goes. That's not the only issue I decide my vote on, but it is an important one.

Erica

Regarding my question, this is what I've found so far. (I'm having trouble. Maybe I'm not using the right search terms?) Quote from this site.

As of April 2006, thirty-six states had bans against late-term abortions that were not facially unconstitutional (banning all abortions) or preceded by a court order. Thirteen of the states define viability as a certain number of weeks gestation, this is in contrast to the Supreme Court ruling that the attending physician be allowed to determine viability in each specific case. Ten states required a second physician to approve of the reason for the abortion, a practice specifically prohibited in court rulings.

There are three medical procedures associated with late-term abortions:

Dilation and evacuation (D&E)

Early induction of labor

Intact dilatation and extraction (IDX or D&X) which is commonly referred to as partial-birth abortion

The ban by the Supreme Court on late-term abortions will still have to abide for the "health exception" for women who could suffer serious medical complications. This is the first time the Supreme Court has heard a major abortion case in six years. The ban specifically encompasses what doctors' call " intact dilatation and evacuation (IDE)" which congress in its legislation termed as inhumane.

I have not read all the replies so this may have already been brought up but the president does not change the law. What McCain will do hopefully is appoint conservative judges especially to the supreme court and it is the judges who will change Roe vs Wade. That will not end abortion, what it will do is allow each state to vote on whether that state will allow abortion and laws concerning abortions, parental consent, rape and incest, partial birth, etc... So there may be states where abortion is outlawed and there will be states where anything goes. It will be up to each state until wording is used that a fetus is a person at conception in a legal manner and when that happens then the baby at conception will get full rights from our constitution and every state will then have to comply.

Reagan thought he was appointing conservative judges but he was not. Hopefully if McCain is elected he will. I think that Sarah Palin as VP will change the way our society views downs kids and maybe less of those babies will be killed.

So long and short McCain talking about rape and incest does not bother me it is what the judges he puts in place think that is important. President Bush put some good judges on the supreme court and I hope and pray that McCain does the same if he is elected.

Well, I guess it depends on how you look at it. I vote pro-life because it is what God wants me to do. My faith dictates that I act in ways that glorifies God. Murdering babies does not glorify God so I cannot support it.

I realize that voting for McCain does not ensure that Roe v. Wade will be turned over. But we each are responsible for our own actions and we will be judged for them. I will answer to God for my vote and McCain will answer to God for his actions in office should he get elected.

Beyond that, all I can do is pray and know I did what I thought God wanted me to do.

If I see a homeless person on the street and give him money and he runs off and buys drugs with it, that is his problem. I did it with the right heart and the right intentions. That's the way I feel about voting. I vote my conscience and let God take care of the rest.

Oh, Heather, why didn't we get to know each other while you were in NC? We would have gotten along fabulously!! I agree with every word you typed!

He's so flippin' liberal that I'd be a POW before voting for him. W had some service, which is better than no service. A CINC should have some working knowledge of his largest and most important role.

So then only conservative vets get your vote? No fan of Kerry, but you did say it was McCain's service that won you over. So his, McCain's) views and record in the Senate matter not?

I bet most of the states would throw it right back to the Feds. Not sure where you all live, but in GA, they try to differ to the Feds whenever possible, in many areas. Both parties use these "hot button" issues to keep their followers down on the farm. To keep you hoping and scare enough that you won't demand real change.

All life is valuable. People are going to be killed, in ANY stage of life, no MATTER who is president. There will be more, and spread over a wider area, with a war-monger as president. *shrugs*. There are so many things wrong in this country, I find it sad that SO many voters are hyperfocusing on one issue, and dooming the rest of us to deal with the many other issues for a longer time because of one issue, which will NOT even change because of their vote.

It bothered me when I heard it. Obama's position on abortion bothers me more. I don't think abortion should be legal, but it is. Just b/c it is legal doesn't mean someone has to have one. As an individual citizen, I can possibly make the difference for someone contemplating one, by helping them find resources to help them through pregnancy, adoption, or whatever else might help them not choose abortion.

As an individual citizen, I can't/won't tell a soldier they shouldn't go to war when deployed. I won't prevent a national security breach b/c by offering food and a winter coat to a terrorist. Many women have chosen not to have an abortion b/c someone made a difference in their lives. Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae don't care that I care. So I figure I'll do my best to choose a candidate that I think can best represent my views on issues where I as an individual can't make a difference on my own.

Rape and incest represent only 5% of all abortions. It is the most dramatic situation and, as women, we are empathetic to this.

From many of the studies I've read, less than 1% are a result of rape and incest...

As far as who is more pro-life..just look at their ratings on their voting record...the National Right to Life organization ranks all the senators on their voting records..John McCain holds a 75% voting record in favor of pro-life legislation whereas Obama holds a 0%...that's clear enough for me.

I don't even let the argument of rape/incest come into it...I'm dealing with the 99% of those who willingly kill their fetus and could have prevented it in the first place. Many many people get emotional and defensive over the issue...because they erroneously believe that if Roe v. Wade is overturned that means that abortion is no longer legal..WRONG..it means it's now in the hands of the PEOPLE of each state to make that decision...I have no problem with certain states choosing to allow abortion...but I think other states have the right to say NO to abortion and if they want to drive one state over and get one, then let them think about it along the drive...or let them think of what an inconvenience the drive will be...right now, it's so convenient that some treat it like going to the dentist...the number of women having abortions has gone down, but the number of women having more than 5 has increased...I think if our society is given the opportunity to show how much they value life...maybe life will improve...

Tara

I want an administration that will support a culture of life in our country. If I vote for someone who supports the killing of the most innocent members of society right within our own borders, I am voting against my beliefs. Therefore, I will vote for the candidate who has the strongest record of supporting a culture of life by protecting the unborn. It does bother me that he is not 100% against abortion in all cases. As a rape survivor myself, I know the pain and anquish caused there. I would never want to have the additional burden of guilt thta comes with abortion. My friend has a beautiful baby girl who was conceived through rape. Her dd has brought her so much joy and is full of excitement for life!

According to the CDC from 1995 to 1999, approximately 5.7 million babies were aborted.

The Iraq war started in 2003. So from 2003 to 2008, you say that at most 600,000 Iraqis have been killed. That is over 5,500,000 babies dead. It is more horrific than people realize.

All life is valuable. People are going to be killed, in ANY stage of life, no MATTER who is president. There will be more, and spread over a wider area, with a war-monger as president. *shrugs*. There are so many things wrong in this country, I find it sad that SO many voters are hyperfocusing on one issue, and dooming the rest of us to deal with the many other issues for a longer time because of one issue, which will NOT even change because of their vote.

Well said! :iagree:

I did a little reading up on the issue of abortion. Here's what I found:

1. Overall, legality of abortion does NOT affect the percent of abortions that occur in a country, it only affects the number of SAFE abortions that occur.

2. The countries with low rates of abortions are the countries where abortion is legal and safe, but more importantly, where conctraception is cheap and universal (funded by universal health care).

If you want the number of abortions to drop in the US, then do whatever it takes to get birth control subsidized and freely available. Support programs that teach people how to use it and de-stigmatize its use.

At this point, with all we know about human nature we have two choices:

1. We can tackle the problem head on with methods that work, ie universal access to birth control.

2. We can pretend to tackle the problem while really only caring that our religious values become everyone's religious values.

While I know most (myself included) are cynical about a political candidate who changes his mind, I also would like to remind myself that if my husband had been a political candidate 10 years ago, he would have assured you that first-trimester abortion was a-ok in his book. If he was running today, he would be adamantly pro-life from conception forward.

People's convictions can change.

So...did you vote for John Kerry last time?

There is a qualitative and quantitative difference between John McCain's service to our country and John Kerry's.

Edited to add: My views are more in line with McCain's than Obama's on virtually every issue. If McCain says he's pro-life now, and his VP pick is pro-life with exceptions, that's better to me than not pro-life at all.

It does bother me because, to me, all life is precious. But, there are so many things that I look at when deciding who to vote for that this is just one issue. Very important, but, one. I'm voting the way I'm voting this year because I really lean more towards one candidate's fiscal policies and social policies over the other, eventhough I'm not that thrilled this year with either one.

The idea of war doesn't scare me nearly as much as abortion. War is between groups of people who are battling for their own individual goals. They're fighting for a reason whether right or wrong. But soldiers in a war have a chance to survive. Civilians in a war do die needlessly. But they usually, although not always, support those that they send to fight. (Children not included)

And war is often a necessary evil in this world just to protect people from genocide and the like. Abortion, over 5 years, has killed more than 5.7 million innocent children that were not trying to do anything other than live. What kind of society doesn't take care of there own helpless citizens? I fear men such as Obama far more than I do any war monger, ever.

It seems that this issue is dragged out of the closet every election, simply to divide the country.

It's not a matter of dragging anything out of the closet. To me it's a matter of basic respect for life, even unborn life. Equal rights for unborn women, even, if you wanted to take it that far. If a politician is not willing to take heat to protect the weakest and most vulnerable in all of society, then he certainly won't take heat for putting prolife judges on the bench.

I really do not think that y'all are doomed and as far as the other issues go, I like McCain better than Obama there to. Most importantly I like McCain's view on Israel better than Obama's. Israel, life, family, economy, national security, ect...... McCain beats Obama every time in my opinion. Never ever has everything been right in this country or any other country on the planet and it won't be because humans make mistakes and some thirst for power no matter what. The difference in this country is we get to have a small say in who we think will do the least harm and in my opinion that is McCain.

Hmmm wonder what would have happened if the abolitionist hadn't hyperfocused on one issue........... doesn't seem like their focus doomed the country and of course their one vote for Lincoln sure didn't change their focus did it......... Nope it changed the country and the world for the better and that is how pro-life folks see your argument about hyperfocus.

Now if you want we could talk about the pro slavery party in America which as it happens is also now the pro-choice party in America. Wonder why that is? Which party really stands for, has the track record for, freedom...... Just some things that I muse on from time to time.

The idea of war doesn't scare me nearly as much as abortion. War is between groups of people who are battling for their own individual goals. They're fighting for a reason whether right or wrong. But soldiers in a war have a chance to survive. Civilians in a war do die needlessly. But they usually, although not always, support those that they send to fight. (Children not included)

And war is often a necessary evil in this world just to protect people from genocide and the like. Abortion, over 5 years, has killed more than 5.7 million innocent children that were not trying to do anything other than live. What kind of society doesn't take care of there own helpless citizens? I fear men such as Obama far more than I do any war monger, ever.

Just wait till there is a war you don't agree with and God forbid you have sons of drafting age. Lots of people all over the world die everyday from starvation, war, and natural disasters. I never hear the thundering outcry to help these people. Where is the vocal/active outrage at the Darfur? Or those still suffering in Burma? My father worked with CCF and Save the Children for years, and never did they get as much attention/money/sponsership nor media time as the anti-abortion message. So is life only precious while in the womb, but easily thrown away once born?

No, it doesn't bother me in the realm of politics. Politics is not about idealism. It's about what you can change, not about holding out for perfection and turning down some possible change because you can't get 100% of what you want. Frankly, I'd be happier than I am now if the only change that happened was that babies facing abortion were given pain relief, just as they are if they are operated on pre-birth. I'd be ecstatic if our laws were allowed to be more like those in France, because that would represent a significant change in late term abortions.

Supreme Court justices matter in the issue of abortion even if Roe v Wade is not overturned. (I think that is unlikely unless there is a widespread change of mind in the country.)There have been other cases that the court has heard that have refined and defined Roe v Wade.

Additionally, I am in favor of judges who are hesitant to use their power as justices to legislate from the bench. I am very concerned about recent trends of what amounts to judicial oligarchy that by-passes the legislative process. The issue of judicial philosophy extends to more issues than abortion rights. I'm generally a supporter of more restraint by the judiciary.

There was not universal access to birth control in the olden days when I was in high school. Guys could get condoms. That was about it. I don't remember if the spermicides were over the counter then or not. There were no abortions even rumored in my high school. Abortion was illegal then. There were only a couple of pregnancies--really only one that I can remember specifically.

That changed by the time I was in college and abortions had become legal. People adjusted their behavior to take into account the availability of a "back up plan." There were lots of abortions. One girlfriend of mine had six. She had access to birth control. She had a diaphragm; for whatever reason, she didn't use it very often. She did not want to do something "unnatural' like taking birth control pills either. I knew lots of young women who had abortions.

So I don't really believe the statistics that say that there is no relation between abortion rates and their legality. I saw the change in my own lifetime.