Menu

Do you feel safe to travel internationally right now?

mommyoffive

What happened in France has really rocked me.  We were going to book a family  trip to Europe (with France as one of the possible destinations) last week.   I really wanted to give this to my 5 kids for Christmas.  We did something like that last year, but a U.S. trip instead. 

But now I am really shaken up and scared.   I am now second guessing everything and just thinking we should stay in the states.  Although I really want to go and I know if I don't "they win. "  Which is really easy to say, but for me hard to follow through on.

Does anyone else feel like this?

Will this stop any of your plans to travel internationally?

Will it change any of your travel plans at all?

It did give me pause, but no, I won't be holding off on travel. What happened in Paris was horrible, but it does not appear to be an active war zone. Dd is planning to travel next semester to Africa and come home through Europe. If things get rougher, we will pay to change her ticket. For now, though, we say there are lots of places that have not been attacked, so we keep on living life to the fullest.

I'm going to Paris in 5 weeks (disclaimer: to pick up my son). On to the Balkans and probably the Greek islands to volunteer near the refugee camps

ETA I'm not smug. I think about it all the time, particularly as I make decisions for my kids who have no agency. The safest thing would be to stay put in my farmhouse where the only things that can hurt me are the Lyme disease ticks. But I can't live that way, so I think about it and carry on.

• Like 5

It wouldn't worry me.  You are more at risk driving your children out for ice-cream than getting on a plane and taking public transport at your destination, even in the current situation.  You might like to compare terrorist deaths in Europe to deaths in car accidents in your home state.

• Like 13

No, it doesn't affect my plans at all. We will travel as usual. However, we do check State Department warnings, and we register our trips with the embassy (my husband is required to register because of his job, but we'd register with the State Department's STEP program anyway).

edited to fix a typo

No.  I grew up in an area that has always been volatile and my parents are back there right now.  Things in the US are not safe either and I live under no delusions that they are.  Heck, our own people are shooting up churches, theaters, and schools.

• Like 7

My attitude is probably coloured by having grown up with the continual threat of Irish Republican terrorism.  You just get on with your life.

Yup.  Several years ago on on of my trips back home, I flew BA through London.  I was waiting for my flight from London to Nairobi and the entire terminal needed to be evacuated because of an IRA bomb threat.  The plane was delayed several hours.

When I arrived in Nairobi, we were detained on the tarmac for over 2 hours because some Ethiopians had hijacked a plane that was still in the terminal area.  The runways were lined with military and machine guns.

You can't live in fear.  You just can't.

• Like 9

No, it doesn't affect my plans at all. We will travel as usual. However, we do check State Department warnings, and we register our troops with the embassy (my husband is required to register because of his job, but we'd register with the State Department's STEP program anyway).

I am pretty new to international travel. 

What is this program?  And why should you register?

As safe as I ever have, which is not really, but I'll be doing it anyway.  We're flying to England in a few weeks, and I'd be lying if I didn't say that terrorism doesn't concern me.  But it's one of those things where you can't just stay inside your house forever (and even if you did, there's always carbon monoxide to worry about indoors), so what else can I do but soldier on and live my life?

I will say that over the years, these big terrorist attacks are one offs, and happen every couple years.  Of course, everything is heating up, so it wouldn't surprise me if there were more on a shorter timeline, but overall, if you look at the past decade historically, now's actually a pretty safe time to travel to Paris.

• Like 2

I am not going inside the camps, you need to be affiliated with a specific charity to do so. There's plenty to do in the islands that individual volunteers (generally from Europe) are doing.

How do you find out about that before hand?  Or is that something you have to do when you are there?  I would like to see if there is something that would be family friendly.

How do you find out about that before hand? Or is that something you have to do when you are there? I would like to see if there is something that would be family friendly.

It's not particularly family friendly and I'm leaving my 4 year old behind with family in Europe. I am bringing my 11 year old but he understands some arabic and is a very mature sort of kid. I follow various volunteer groups in the Greek islands and will make decisions closer to the time depending on need.
  • Like 1

I am pretty new to international travel.

What is this program? And why should you register?

This is a program in which you can let the US embassy at your destination know that you'll be there. They can't prevent anything from happening to you, but if there's an "event" (terrorist attack, natural disaster, civil unrest), they know to look for you. If your family can't get in touch with you and contacts the State Department, it makes it easier for them to find you. If your passport is lost or stolen, it makes it easier for them to help you.

The embassy's consular officers want to help Americans abroad, but the first step is knowing you're there.

You can find more information and register at

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/go/step.html

I'm sorry; I don't know how to make it a link on my phone if it doesn't do it automatically but cut and paste works too.

• Like 4

I grew up in a volatile era and used to the army and non-uniformed officers at airports and train stations. I just put the local contact of my embassy's number in my phone just in case of evacuations. My country's MFA has just evacuated citizens/PRs who want help leaving Paris.

• Like 1

My mother, my 14 year old daughter, and I were in Paris a couple of weeks ago. I considered both London and Paris to be at risk in the last few years, and it gave me pause before we went. But we went, we had an amazing time, and I knew overall the risk was pretty low. Even if you are in the city when it happens, the odds are overwhelming you will still be okay.

I pay attention to State Department travel advisories, but otherwise I think being able to enjoy these amazing places is worth the small risk. We were probably safer there walking and taking public transportation than driving here.

Looking back it was darkly funny because our Muslim taxi driver going to the Paris airport couldn't get over the fact that I could walk into a store in the US, buy a gun (or several) and walk around holding them in plain sight, loaded. (We live in an open carry state.) He was both horrified and incredulous. Safety is a matter of perspective.

• Like 5

My son and I were nearly killed in a car accident last year. It gives you perspective. While I am NO fan of recklessly endangering oneself or family just for the heck of it, the reality is we are more likely to be injured or killed on the way to the supermarket or in our case, Staples, than in a terrorist attack and by a big percentage, not just a peanuts statistic here. The fear comes becsuse you think because you are in control of your car and driving in familiar territory that you are safer. But the reality is you have zero control over the loon who is texting and driving at 65 mph and breezes through a stop sign at the edge of a tall corn crop so you can't see her coming until it is too late.

That perspective change has helped me become less fearful. I am cautious but will not allow fear to hinder me from doing the things that I find are important.

I was in France for nearly three weeks in February. Charles de Gaulle airport is well outside the city center, modern and as secure as any airport can likely be. If you are still nervous about Paris, you could just hop on the train to Caen or some other destination that is not a likely target. From Caen you can explore Normandy and WWII history.The Loire Valley is wonderful, or you could grab a flight headed south and stay on the Mediterranean, soak up the sun, and enjoy the beauty there.

If it were me, I would not choose to skip Paris. There are things you can do that are really outside the lines of terrorist focus which is always a number game...kill a bunch quickly. A boat tour on the Seine comes to mind. They have no vested interest in going to all of that work to only potentially kill a handful of tourists who may not even be from countries they want to terrorize. Too many unknowns. The boats do not even leave dock unless they have enough passengers so not something likely to garner their demented attention. Eat the food - lots to enjoy if you want to stay away from bigger targets. But again, there is plenty to enjoy in France besides Paris, and the castles and cathedrals of Normandy are very much worth exploring. William the Conqueror's castle in Liseux is wonderful and the city is picturesque. The Bayeux tapestry is amazing and Bayeux and the surrounding towns have lots of WWII museums and memorials. The American, British, Canadian, and German cemetaries are all worth visiting, oh and Mont Saint Michel is another wonderful place.

All we can do is make the best choice we can for our families. For some that may mean not traveling at a time when feelings are raw, and for others it means taking the leap. There isn't a right answer, nor a wrong one either. Do what you feel is best.

One thing I will say is that France needs support at this time. A significant loss in tourism is absolutely going to be felt, and if the fall off is really bad, in that respect the terrorists have won; they have gained control by inspiring paralyzing fear. That kind of thing makes my blood boil because I do not want them to get any satisfaction from their wicked deeds.I find that I have a very real, "Up Yours!!!" mentality towards ISIS right now, a desire to show them what's what. So my advice is couched in a certain layer of rage at the moment, and I am willing to admit that.

• Like 7

Yes, I feel safe.

I was in Europe when the Libyans bombed the disco in Berlin.

I was in the UK when the IRA was active.

You're still more likely to get hurt driving to and from the airport, or around your town, in the States then in a terrorist attack.

At this point, no I wouldn't change my plans.  But yes, follow the State Department warnings and such.

• Like 4

Yes.

(ETA that my answer might be confusing.  The "yes" answer the post's title question because I do feel safe to travel right now. We are moving to Saudi Arabia in a few months and planning to go by train across Europe to get there.)

OK. That sounds incredibly cool.  Back when I was doing the whole junior year study abroad thing, my Mom came to visit me in Paris.  We spent some time in Italy and England, and were also planning on taking the Orient Express.  She got very ill, so we had to cancel that part of our trip.  I've always regretted that.  

• Like 1

The thought did cross my mind.  We're planning a trip to Morrocco, Spain and Portugal next month.  I don't plan on canceling it.  The chance of something random happening when we are in a place for 1 day is very small.  And it's not like it's going to be safer at some known time in the future.  Nor do I think the right response is to hide at home.  I may be almost over the hill, but my kids still have to live their life, and hiding from the world shouldn't be part of it IMO.

Now if I hear of a speific threat in the places we plan to visit, I might change my mind.

Yes, I would feel safe and wouldn't change my plans at all.

I was in Israel when Sharon visited the Dome of the Rock and again the day after the Sbarro bombing. I went to London the day after the 2005 bombing. I've also spent a fair amount of time in other hotspots of civil unrest/curfews/military in the streets types situations.

I'm not trying to sound callous, but it really is about the numbers. That's how terrorism works. Small scale attacks scare a larger number of people, but the chances of it happening to any particular individual are extremely small.

• Like 6

I just remembered that when we were in Europe in the summer of 2014, our train ride from Paris to London was delayed some hours.  Some said it was a mechanical issue, but there was something on the news about some bomb threat or something.  I just think that sort of thing is so random that you can't control your safety situation 100%.  Most of the time everything is going to be fine.  Some of the time it isn't.  That's nothing new, and I don't let it scare me.  I don't expect to live forever anyway.

I have done a ton of mission work in countries the state department said were unsafe to go to. It was great! Any tourist activities left us with all options wide open. I have had amazing safari expereinces going places that were supposedly unsafe, ect. I would go to Paris, you will have the whole place to yourselves and it will be magical.

I'm more afraid of my MIL than terrorists to be honest.  :lol:

:smilielol5:  :smilielol5: :smilielol5:  

No joke! I've got a schizophrenic aunt, and my likelihood of violence from her is higher than a terrorist. Thank goodness she lives in another state now, and has no car...one of the upsides to the lack of public transportation in the Great Lakes Region!

OP, I did not mean this in a making fun of you way. My feelings right now are raw too. My sister lives in Caen, was in Paris only a week ago today, and will be a permanent resident since she is marrying a wonderful French man. Believe me, until she posted to me on facebook that she was safe and at home in Caen and not on a weekend trip to Paris doing research for her master's degree, I was nauseous, unnerved, and weepy.

The light heartedness is just an acknowledgement that sometimes we actually face much scarier odds at home under ordinary circumstances than we do when doing something unusual like visiting another country or something. My aunt is really unstable and threat definitely when she is delusional.

Anyway, again, just make the best choice you can and then don't apologize for it. Do what you think is right.

Feelings are still pretty raw on this.

Oh, and I was in Jamaica, in a relatively not particularly safe area of Kingston, when the national strikes occurred in the 80's before the national vote (85 if my memory is accurate), and the borders were closed while there, couldn't even make our way to the embassy. You know what? The Jamaican people around us were just totally awesome, invited us into their homes, took care of us, and managed to make it a great experience despite all of that. The one and only beautiful thing that comes from events like these is that the lovely people, the kind, the compassionate, the do what is right no matter what, people band together on behalf of their communities and their visitors and touch hearts, and it is then that you realize that there is an overwhelming number of good people in the world compared to the bad. Though it had a scary moment or two, I'll be honest, I would not trade that experience for anything, not any measure of safety. As an American teen who normally lived in an area with no diversity, a relatively sheltered life, it changed me for the better.

• Like 6

I'm in France with my family this semester and our plan was to visit Paris in a couple of weekends. Right now I don't feel safe to. Not that it is actually more dangerous, but it certainly feels that way. If it was just my husband and I we'd do it. Don't let the terrorists keep us down. But we have kids, little ones, and they are ours to keep safe. I felt a little scared going to church this morning. Is an English speaking church in a small city a target? My husband is trained military, and in case of attack I will protect the kids while he takes the attacker, which terrifies me. I don't want to have even thought about that. Sorry for the rambling but I'm processing these thoughts now. A different foreign city in which I used to live was rocked by terror attacks after I left, attacks that struck the exact places I had spent a lot of time. It doesn't seem as distant as I wish it did. We will keep travelling and enjoying the world, letting our kids see that the world is full of amazing people doing beautiful things, but I don't plan to book any train tickets until my heart is a little quieter.

I'm in France with my family this semester and our plan was to visit Paris in a couple of weekends. Right now I don't feel safe to. Not that it is actually more dangerous, but it certainly feels that way. If it was just my husband and I we'd do it. Don't let the terrorists keep us down. But we have kids, little ones, and they are ours to keep safe. I felt a little scared going to church this morning. Is an English speaking church in a small city a target? My husband is trained military, and in case of attack I will protect the kids while he takes the attacker, which terrifies me. I don't want to have even thought about that. Sorry for the rambling but I'm processing these thoughts now. A different foreign city in which I used to live was rocked by terror attacks after I left, attacks that struck the exact places I had spent a lot of time. It doesn't seem as distant as I wish it did. We will keep travelling and enjoying the world, letting our kids see that the world is full of amazing people doing beautiful things, but I don't plan to book any train tickets until my heart is a little quieter.

:grouphug:  :grouphug: :grouphug:  and prayers for you and your family. Much love to you and yours! 

• Like 3

OK. That sounds incredibly cool.  Back when I was doing the whole junior year study abroad thing, my Mom came to visit me in Paris.  We spent some time in Italy and England, and were also planning on taking the Orient Express.  She got very ill, so we had to cancel that part of our trip.  I've always regretted that.  

This will be the 5th time we've moved to or from Asia and I keep hoping that I'll finally get to go overland and by sea most of the way.  We obviously will have to fly between Istanbul and Riyadh, but I think we can skip the planes the rest of the way.

• Like 1

The embassy's consular officers want to help Americans abroad, but the first step is knowing you're there.

Americans should read about the Americans turned away from the American embassy right after the Paris attacks!   The woman is 6 months pregnant and there was "no room at the inn"! 

But I guess you can go online to the embassy website if you happen to be running with your laptop.  Just don't expect an open door at the actual building.   (Yes, I know, it's all about security...theirs.)

http://www.myajc.com/news/news/local/atlantans-in-paris-tension-fear-silence-and-a-very/npNQm/

Americans should read about the Americans turned away from the American embassy right after the Paris attacks!   The woman is 6 months pregnant and there was "no room at the inn"! 

But I guess you can go online to the embassy website if you happen to be running with your laptop.  Just don't expect an open door at the actual building.   (Yes, I know, it's all about security...theirs.)

http://www.myajc.com/news/news/local/atlantans-in-paris-tension-fear-silence-and-a-very/npNQm/

Why would the US embassy be considered safer than wherever the Amercian in Paris booked a room?  If the terrorists are going to target Americans, the embassy would be a more obvious place than a hotel IMO.  I think I would go back to my hotel and hug my kids and pray until the dust settled.

• Like 2

YIKES!

Yah, I think many of our diplomats do not feel safe anymore, and we will see more of this unless the state department does more to fix their security needs.

When we go to Egypt next month, we'll be on our own for certain. There is only one embassy, Cairo, and we'll be 450 miles from it.

One thing for everyone contemplating international travel to consider is that you can go to the state department website and register your trip. This way if there is an evacuation need, the embassy does know where to find you. Here is the link:

https://step.state.gov/step/

YIKES!

Yah, I think many of our diplomats do not feel safe anymore, and we will see more of this unless the state department does more to fix their security needs.

When we go to Egypt next month, we'll be on our own for certain. There is only one embassy, Cairo, and we'll be 450 miles from it.

One thing for everyone contemplating international travel to consider is that you can go to the state department website and register your trip. This way if there is an evacuation need, the embassy does know where to find you. Here is the link:

https://step.state.gov/step/

Tell me about the Egypt trip if you're up to it. I'm travelling alone with the kids and drawing the line there at the moment!

It's about a lot more than just security.  There are only limited things that a US Embassy is actually allowed to do for US citizens in a crisis. It's probably been decades since any embassy allowed unknown US citizens to shelter there.

While it is helpful to keep in contact with the embassy/consulate in your area when you're travelling, it's also helpful to know what they can actually do for you because people are constantly frustrated in both emergencies and everyday situations by the difference in their expectations of what the embassy will do for them and what it actually can do.

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/emergencies/crisis-support.html

• Like 7

Why would the US embassy be considered safer than wherever the Amercian in Paris booked a room?  If the terrorists are going to target Americans, the embassy would be a more obvious place than a hotel IMO.  I think I would go back to my hotel and hug my kids and pray until the dust settled.

Their hotel was apparently farther away and they couldn't get a cab following the explosions/chaos going on. 

I would think that they probably have metal detectors of some kind at our embassy and would be able to tell that the woman was carrying a child and not wearing a suicide belt.   

We're paying for our dignitaries to have all kinds of protection, but the lowly American citizen in trouble should expect nothing from our embassy.   But we're probably lighting up some government building in the colors of the French flag...so we should feel all warm and fuzzy about that. 

Madteaparty,

I can't say our final destination within Egypt due to security issues for our friends. Suffice it to say, we won't be in Cairo; our friend is with Doctor's Without Borders. He and his wife have lived in this particular locale for quite a long time and are well established, as a general rule they do feel reasonably safe. My husband will be helping friend. He and his colleagues/staff have a desperate need for IT work at their clinic/hospital. Dh is writing custom software for them, repairing some IT equipment, and buying some for them in country so they will have a better patient record system. What they have now is, well, NOT efficient but all that they have, and the only computer there is on its last leg. Local families have donated money to help buy the new computer, and we are taking one our family laptops to give them as well plus a couple of tablets that the docs and nurses can use to update records when not near one of those two computers.

Friends' wife is fluent in Arabic and teaches literacy to very poor women, many of whom are widows, abandoned, etc., and have no regular income. Being able to read, write, and do some math helps them get jobs in the few earning opportunities that are available to women in that area. I am of no help with that, but one way the women can make money is to take in alterations and simple sewing. Friend does not know how to sew beyond things like repairing a seam or replacing a button. That's where I come in. For three weeks, I'll be teaching hand sewing and simple alterations - taking in a seam, letting down a hem or shortening a hem, etc. nothing really complicated, and something that if they practice diligently, they'll be able to do without more than a pair of scissors, thread, and needles.

Since the women have no resources, I am taking an entire suitcase full of thread, small scissors, needles, and such. We'll buy metric rulers in country so the women can be taught to read them and measure hems to make them even. They will take the classes and then receive a couple of pairs of scissors, numerous colors of thread, and packages of needles. I'll have small toys and candy and fruit treats for the children who may be accompanying their mothers.

And no, I don't expect to make much of a difference in these women's lives in three weeks. I am under no illusion that I'm helping them. I just hope to have a chance to let them know that someone does indeed care about their circumstances and has a kind word for them.  I hope to be changed for the better for having had the opportunity to spend time with them. The real contributor will be dh behind the scenes making the IT system for the medical practitioners work. They are pretty desperate for a decent patient record system.

There will be three days in there in which we take some time off and go with friends to see some historical sites. I think Dh will need the break because I know him well enough to know he will work himself into the ground and hardly sleep trying to get as much done as he can in that short period of time.

• Like 6

Their hotel was apparently farther away and they couldn't get a cab following the explosions/chaos going on. 

I would think that they probably have metal detectors of some kind at our embassy and would be able to tell that the woman was carrying a child and not wearing a suicide belt.   

We're paying for our dignitaries to have all kinds of protection, but the lowly American citizen in trouble should expect nothing from our embassy.   But we're probably lighting up some government building in the colors of the French flag...so we should feel all warm and fuzzy about that. 

Employees of the State Department are required to be in other countries by the US government and Congress has mandated that they and their families be protected.  It would be quite expensive to extend that level of security to every US citizen living or visiting overseas for whatever reason. It's fine with me if we want to do that, but I doubt that most US citizens would really be interested in that.

When you are overseas, you still have to deal with most of your own problems, even in a crisis. Especially in a crisis, because the government employees are swamped (and probably worrying about their own friends and family while they're trying to help others, because they live there too).

• Like 7

Yah, all of those movies with people running to their embassy and hiding out inside, not accurate. I'm not saying no one has ever done it or been harbored, just saying that this is NOT what usually happens in a crisis.

However, it is a pretty good idea to register your trip so if your country needs to find you, they have a shot at finding you in a timely manner. Also, keep a photo copy of your passport in a different pouch or in a safe at your hotel. This way if yours is lost or stolen, you can not only call the consulate and let them know, but by having your passport numbers and all pertinent information plus a copy of your photo, it is quicker for them to identify you and issue you a new one pronto. When I was in Paris, the concierge of our hotel locked up our copies in the hotel safe for us for no fee. Very, very nice people. Salt of the earth. Off topic, but I would definitely stay there again!

In Iceland, the concierge of our apartment complex (Room With a View), also locked ours in the safe for free.

• Like 2

Feel unsafe traveling?  Every time I'm on a busy interstate.  We passed three separate accidents just returning to our motel this evening.

Feeling worried about lunatics or terrorists?  The thought has honestly never crossed my mind when actually traveling - only in occasional hypothetical "what if" conversations that can occur anytime just like any other random conversation.  We've actually had to start teaching what to do in these "what if" situations at school starting this past month.

Thoughts of canceling any trips either overseas or domestic?  There t'aint no way in the world that's ever happening!  The withdrawal symptoms this travel junkie would have would be unthinkable!

• Like 2

It doesn't make me any more nervous than I already am.

I am quite worried about gun violence here. I am sometimes worried about going to the movies or any large gathering.  I worry a lot about gun violence in those situations. Violence abroad doesn't make me any more worried than I already am.

I don't let it stop me from doing things, but I feel afraid at times.

• Like 2