• Reformed/Presbyterian/Episcapalian/Anglican
    • Baptist/Brethren/IFCA
    • Anabaptist
    • Methodist
    • Charismatic/Pentacostal/Holiness
    • Messianic
    • Latter Day Saints
    • Jehovah Witness

Another member redid the religion poll so we could get a better span of who is on the board and recommended a separate poll for the breakdown of Christians.

No, debating over the JW/LDS or who is or is not Christian. Basically all groups will say they are the most and others are closer to downright not. We already know these arguments and each take their own stands. This is the best 10-breakdown I could come up with.

Sorry, no other....just best placement or state in reply.

UDATE: Catholic should have read Orthodox/Roman Catholic.

Messianic/Seventh Day Adventists

I'm an "other"

I voted Baptist/Brethren/IFCA because I *think* their doctrinal stances line up most closely with mine. For all I know, though, Lutheranism or Methodism may be closer. And I had to google IFCA; I had no idea what that was.

Yes, many non-denominational churches line up as either Baptist/Brethren/IFCA or as Charismatic/Pentacostal/Holiness :)

You didn't supply an "other" category so I couldn't vote. We are Eastern Orthodox. Formerly Protestant and before that, formerly Roman Catholic.

Please read my post ;) Catholic was supposed to read Orthodox/Roman Catholic...they both fall under "catholic" but of different rites. This was the best breakdown I could come up with and there was no room for other (unless SWB wants to up the choice limit ;) ) So it's a "what do I BEST fit under as a GENERALITY" :D

Guest Virginia Dawn

Other

The churches of Christ consider themselves non-denominational. They are not any of the things listed and they are not calvinist.

They were started about 200 years ago as part of a movement to "restore" the New Testament church.

The Christian Church and the Disciples of Christ came out of the same movement.

Would the other 4 Charismatics please stand up and identify yourselves? I often feel so lonely on the boards!

I voted since you posted this, so I'm not one of the 4 :-) Mr. Ellie and I have mostly attended Assemblies of God churches since we've been married; there was a 6-year stint at a Calvary Chapel, and 4 years at a non-denominational, seeker-friendly megachurch (we'll never do that again--what were we thinking???), but that's almost 25 years of AG.

FTR, Mr. Ellie grew up in the Southern Baptist church; I grew up in nothing-in-particular.

Would the other 4 Charismatics please stand up and identify yourselves? I often feel so lonely on the boards!

Well, I am a moderate. While I currently attend a Baptist church, I am not totally on board with the Calvinists. So, since I have no other place to stand I'll come join. ;)

I hate multiple choice tests.

Please read my post ;) Catholic was supposed to read Orthodox/Roman Catholic...they both fall under "catholic" but of different rites. This was the best breakdown I could come up with and there was no room for other (unless SWB wants to up the choice limit ;) ) So it's a "what do I BEST fit under as a GENERALITY" :D

Actually...as Eastern Orthodox, that is not true. Some of the differences are quite major. There are Eastern Rite Catholics, but Eastern Orthodox and Catholics are not in communion with each other, so Eastern Orthodox could not say they are Catholic in any sense of the word (though we do consider ourselves small "c" catholic).

Another Assemblies of God here. Born & raised there. I would like to say that the Charismatic/Pentecostal/Holiness category is a pretty big lump of diverse views :O)

I'm with you and Kelli inTN. Raised AG and now PH--but of the flavor that we do wear make-up, we do have darn cute, short hair cuts and DO NOT handle snakes...:lol: (that is what I used to think PH was)

I'm definitely other because we are charismatic Biblical unitarians so aren't even close to Pentecostal/Holiness, etc. I know there is at least one other person on the board who is very close to what we are. What is a Biblical unitarian? I don't want a debate, but since most Christians I meet aren't familiar with this, I'll explaine Basically we believe that Jesus Christ is the son of God by divine conception, was perfect, is the Messiah and the only way to the Father, but we don't believe he is God. This is very different than people who think he was only a prophet, etc. There are different churches (mostly non denominational around here) that believe this, and this belief has been around for 2000 years, even if not the most predominant one. Often Biblical unitarians have been mislabeled Theists, but that is a very different belief system.

I voted Baptist but I am really "none of the above." I think Baptist is the closest doctrinally so that should work just fine. You sure crammed the poll full of as many choices as you could. Good Job!

Does any one else think that it is a little silly the the body of Christ has fragmented it self into so many pieces? It's kind of sad that there has to be so many distinctions. What really separates us? How we dress, how we worship, what music we like and a few doctrines extracted out of a verse here or there?

I know it is more complicated than this, church history blah, blah, blah, but it makes me sad to see it all in black and white like that. Too bad that we tend to focus on the differences instead of the similarities.

I agree that we should spend more time focusing on the similarities than the differences. I don't mind different groups, though, because people aren't perfect and I'd rather have a choice.

Dh was raised Southern Baptist, I was raised in the Church of God. Like another posted, I've always worn makeup and pants. ;-) However, Dh and I have belonged to an area Assembly of God church since the first year of our marriage almost 19 years ago, now. I will comment that, now that the poll has developed more, there is a greater percentage of Charismatics than what I would have guessed. This percentage is not *that* far below some of the others in number. :-)

Another member redid the religion poll so we could get a better span of who is on the board and recommended a separate poll for the breakdown of Christians.

No, debating over the JW/LDS or who is or is not Christian. Basically all groups will say they are the most and others are closer to downright not. We already know these arguments and each take their own stands. This is the best 10-breakdown I could come up with.

Sorry, no other....just best placement or state in reply.

UDATE: Catholic should have read Orthodox/Roman Catholic.

Messianic/Seventh Day Adventists

I am really confused here!!!

I have never been a Seventh Day Adventis...I know NOTHING about them.

I am and was raised Jewish. I do not consider myself a Messianic Jew...but a Christian because I follow Christ. However, it is my understanding that Jewish Believers in the Messiah Jesus are called Messianic jews. Seventh Day Adventists are an offshoot of Christianity (or a sect??) like LDS or JW...right??

If i am mistaken...please change my Messianic vote to Protestant...which would better define my Pentacostal Baptist, Calvinist -ish views. Thanks,

Faithe

I am really confused here!!!

I have never been a Seventh Day Adventis...I know NOTHING about them.

I am and was raised Jewish. I do not consider myself a Messianic Jew...but a Christian because I follow Christ. However, it is my understanding that Jewish Believers in the Messiah Jesus are called Messianic jews. Seventh Day Adventists are an offshoot of Christianity (or a sect??) like LDS or JW...right??

If i am mistaken...please change my Messianic vote to Protestant...which would better define my Pentacostal Baptist, Calvinist -ish views. Thanks,

Faithe

Yes, I recognise that they are two totally separate and distinct groups. With a limit of 10 categories, I grouped by as much similarity as possible. Under Reformed, there is a broad spectrum, but all those groups are considered technically "Reformed". Charismatic, Pentacostals, and Holiness are varied...widely. But they still share many of the same Pentacostal beliefs and doctrines, while varying. Messianic and SDA both share enough characteristics that it makes sense that when limited like this to place them here even though it may make some Messianics scream (I had a friend that wanted to scream because she's baptist and that was shoved under "Protestant" on a broader poll, but she definitely wasn't Catholic or Orthodox :lol: Using Protestant is inaccurate for saying "all other"). I tried to group first by historical association of groups, then by commonalities. I nearly put the JW's and LDS together just for simplicity's sake even though those two groups have next to nothing in common and to open up an "Other" space.

So yes, you can vote Messianic without being considered anything close to SDA (says someone who used to be somewhat Messianic herself ;) ).

Yes, I recognise that they are two totally separate and distinct groups. With a limit of 10 categories, I grouped by as much similarity as possible.

).

Yes, this was tough to do. I personally would have put Anabaptists with Protestants, since they definitely are, and the name is a mistake--it means "without baptism" and they actually do adult baptism. Plus they are pacifist. However, I can see why you made them a group since there is a wide range even among anabaptists, and even the Mennonite anabaptists have at least 8 different types.

For some reason, I didn't understand the Messianic part, since I thought accepting the Messiah was part and parcel of Christianity, but I suspect that there are things I don't quite know about there. All Jews are technically Messianic (learned this from Eliana), but the group officially called Messianic Jews are a group that accepts Jesus as the Messiah...

This is a challenging area, a brave poll that I'm quite happy you did (but I didn't answer, due to the trinity issue which I think is big enough to be a whole different category.) I doubt that many of us would have done it the same because it's so hard to do.

Yes, this was tough to do. I personally would have put Anabaptists with Protestants, since they definitely are, and the name is a mistake--it means "without baptism" and they actually do adult baptism.

Actually, anabaptists are not protestants. Protestants are technically those who originated with the groups that broke off the RC church. Anabaptists were already in existence, and a separate group on their own. They never were part of the RC church.

Anabaptist doesn't mean without baptism, but baptize again. Because they did not accept the baptism of babies and baptized such people again once they were converted.:)

Origin: mid 16th cent.: via ecclesiastical Latin from Greek anabaptismos, from ana- ‘over again’ + baptismos ‘baptism.’

Yes, this was tough to do. I personally would have put Anabaptists with Protestants, since they definitely are, and the name is a mistake--it means "without baptism" and they actually do adult baptism. Plus they are pacifist. However, I can see why you made them a group since there is a wide range even among anabaptists, and even the Mennonite anabaptists have at least 8 different types.

For some reason, I didn't understand the Messianic part, since I thought accepting the Messiah was part and parcel of Christianity, but I suspect that there are things I don't quite know about there. All Jews are technically Messianic (learned this from Eliana), but the group officially called Messianic Jews are a group that accepts Jesus as the Messiah...

This is a challenging area, a brave poll that I'm quite happy you did (but I didn't answer, due to the trinity issue which I think is big enough to be a whole different category.) I doubt that many of us would have done it the same because it's so hard to do.

Anabaptist means to "re-baptise". Also, though they protested the Roman Catholic Church, they would also pitch a fit at being considered "Protestant". They are at odds, as in the opposite end, of Reformed ;) There are 45+mennonite groups and the 45+amish groups...then add in Charity, Beachy, and other independent, but similar groups :D

Messianic: yes we all believe in the Messiah, but there are specific practices that distinguish the Messianic Christians/Jews from other Christians and Jews (Judaism rejects Messianics of this form). Some border on Independent type Baptists, but due to their practices they are a separate group.

I voted Baptist but I am really "none of the above." I think Baptist is the closest doctrinally so that should work just fine. You sure crammed the poll full of as many choices as you could. Good Job!

Does any one else think that it is a little silly the the body of Christ has fragmented it self into so many pieces? It's kind of sad that there has to be so many distinctions. What really separates us? How we dress, how we worship, what music we like and a few doctrines extracted out of a verse here or there?

I know it is more complicated than this, church history blah, blah, blah, but it makes me sad to see it all in black and white like that. Too bad that we tend to focus on the differences instead of the similarities.

:iagree:

I guess I fall under a Baptist but I don't look for that in finding a church. I look at the "what we believe" statements. Most Baptist churches that I've been to that don't have the word Baptist in their name just have a statement of faith and only when asked will they give a denomination. I think that draws me there...that there's really no need among the one's I've been to to distinguish a denomination...It's all about being Christ Followers.

Well, for several years I attended a Messianic Charismatic Synagogue on Saturday nights that had very strong ties to the AG. All the feasts were kept and the music, etc... was very Jewish, however they believed in the move of the spirit like a Charismatic or AG church would have. I have experience all kinds of flavors in the Messianic Synagogue movement.

For the past 14 years I have attended a Charismatic church that became Charismatic during the Jesus movement, before that it had been a Congregational high church. So this church still has a catechism but has added in Charismatic doctrines.

I also work/minister at a local House of Prayer which is of a Charismatic flavor but encompasses all the churches in our city.