Menu

The I Like Daylight Savings Thread

Amira

I don't know if there is anyone else here who can join me, but I love it when daylight savings begins and ends.  If you don't like it, go start your own thread. :)

In the fall, I love having it get dark an hour earlier because it makes the evenings long and cozy at home.  I love having the sun come up a little earlier in the morning, especially when children are going to school.  I love the long evenings around Christmas and winter solstice.  I love having time change around Samhain.

In the spring, I love having the extra hour of daylight in the evening when I'm getting ready to be outside again in the evening.  I love that I get an extra hour of cooler weather in the morning to get things done. I love that it gets easier to sleep in.  I love the longer evening hours at Easter and Nooruz and Ostara.

If I'm living nearer the equator in a place that still does daylight savings, it helps me mark the seasons since there's not such a big change in the hours of daylight.  If I'm living further from the equator in a place that does daylight savings, I love that I get the best of both worlds- daylight in the morning during the long winters (I truly HATE having it be completely dark at 8 AM) and daylight at 9 PM in the summer.  

I know that adjusting to the new time isn't fun, especially with little children, but one hour really isn't that big of a deal. It's worth it to me.

• Like 8

I can't say that I like it getting dark at 4:30 in the afternoon, but I do like half of your subject- I like daylight. 

Where I live, in the summertime it's fully light around 5 AM and I LOVE that. It makes me want to get up and get moving. And it's still plenty light after dinner to do something outside- go for a walk, do some gardening, wash the car. 

• Like 2

I like it when I live somewhere in the US where the light is "right" for me. When I live very close to the western edge of a time zone, I love it! I love summer evenings where it doesn't get dark until 9pm. I love not needing to get up in the dark until January.

When I live closer to the other edge, I don't like it as much!

• Like 4

I used to really hate daylight savings, but the older I get, the more I see its appeal. I am looking forward to having it get light earlier starting tomorrow because it's too dark for me to run outside in the mornings before the kids get up right now. And I'm always relieved when daylight savings time starts in the spring and my kids stop waking up with the sun at 5 AM! :)

• Like 2

I really enjoy the lead ahead in the spring.  I appreciate the long daylight nights. 

I have absolutely no use for the fall back.  I'm not going to get up in the morning just for a little more light so it seems like my days are long and gloomy.  I don't like driving in the dark so I often end up skipping night activities because I don't want to deal with driving in the dark and snow. 

My ideal world is they spring ahead one year and then never mess with it again.

• Like 7

My body is still in sync with 10 years ago or more when it used to change earlier.  I get jet lagged for a couple days, then back to normal.  I've been waking up an hour later this year.  I hoping with the fall back I'll get my extra hour alone in the morning to write.  

• Like 2

We love it.

In summer, with vacation and all, we slip into going to bed later and then when fall comes and vacation ends, it is really hard to get to sleep earlier again at night and get up get up early enough in the morning. Changing the clocks rescues us.Then in the spring, it gets lighter earlier and earlier and we wake up earlier and earlier and until once again, changing the clocks saves us.

Nan

• Like 2

I am one of those who'd love to see it abolished. You're actually the first person I've heard who likes it! I don't begrudge you that :)

I have seen some of the DST haters say this and I find it really weird. The reason I find it weird is that... how do you not know people who like it? When I've seen polls, the majority of Americans like it (though often about half think it's "unnecessary"). I doubt this is a cultural or political feeling exactly - in other words, I would expect that a reasonable proportion of people in someone's church, someone's neighborhood, someone's extended family even, would like it. I know many people who feel both ways.

• Like 3

By the way, dh and I were just talking about this today and looking up some of the things about it.

Some of the main benefits of DST over standard time (and these are all from various studies):

* kids tend to get more exercise (seriously, more light means more time outside)

* people tend to watch less TV

* crime rates go down

* traffic accident rates go down (this is overall - the few days following the change either way see a small increase - probably because people are tired)

It probably doesn't lead to energy savings (that was the original impetus... studies have been ambiguous as to whether it causes a slight increase or slight decrease in energy consumption) but so what. Less crime. Happier people. More sunlight.

• Like 4

I really enjoy the lead ahead in the spring.  I appreciate the long daylight nights. 

I have absolutely no use for the fall back.  I'm not going to get up in the morning just for a little more light so it seems like my days are long and gloomy.  I don't like driving in the dark so I often end up skipping night activities because I don't want to deal with driving in the dark and snow. 

My ideal world is they spring ahead one year and then never mess with it again.

Agreed. Without Daylight Savings Time, we'd spend much less time at the park during week nights.  It gives us more daylight in the evening, so there is time after work to take the kids to the park before they close at dusk.  (And during the summer, it is only that last hour of the day when it might be good enough weather to go outside anyway.) At least during the fall/winter, when we fall back, it gets cooler such that most of that time is not really good park weather anyway.

I want the sun up by 7AM in late December, but I don't want it up at 4AM in late June. That's the main reason I think switching is important. If we're on DST all the time, you're stuck with a really late sunrise in the winter. If we're on standard all the time, the sun rises so early in the summer and you sleep through the coolest hours of the day at the hottest time of year. I'm happy to make the change to avoid both of those problems.

• Like 6

I love DST beginning and ending,too. It makes me feel happy. Like it when I was a kid, it always felt right. I liked it as an adult. As a parent, I love it. My oldest 2 seemed to feel the gravitational pull strongest and led me to believe we should change the time on equinoxes.

I'm not thrilled about getting darker earlier, but I love everything else.

• Like 1

I want the sun up by 7AM in late December, but I don't want it up at 4AM in late June. That's the main reason I think switching is important. If we're on DST all the time, you're stuck with a really late sunrise in the winter. If we're on standard all the time, the sun rises so early in the summer and you sleep through the coolest hours of the day at the hottest time of year. I'm happy to make the change to avoid both of those problems.

But they aren't problems everywhere or to everyone. I love having the sun come up at 4 am in the summer when I get up and that it gets dark at a reasonable hour (by 9) when I naturally go to bed. In areas where summer highs of 75 are considered hot, the "coolest hours of the the day" doesn't mean much. ;) In the winter, however, darkness at 4pm is a real issue, and no tiny amount of weak morning light is going to make up for it.

Maybe time changes ought to happen along north-south lines, if at all.

• Like 3

Confession: I have clocks that I never changed in the spring. I've just been reading them an hour off. Now my procrastination pays off.

When we lived in the Atlantic time zone but travelled frequently to the eastern time zone, I typically just kept my watch on one. It was right often enough between travelling and time changes. That habit changed quickly though when we almost missed a flight because my watch was wrong! Lol

• Like 1

By the way, dh and I were just talking about this today and looking up some of the things about it.

Some of the main benefits of DST over standard time (and these are all from various studies):

* kids tend to get more exercise (seriously, more light means more time outside)

* people tend to watch less TV

* crime rates go down

* traffic accident rates go down (this is overall - the few days following the change either way see a small increase - probably because people are tired)

It probably doesn't lead to energy savings (that was the original impetus... studies have been ambiguous as to whether it causes a slight increase or slight decrease in energy consumption) but so what. Less crime. Happier people. More sunlight.

So let's just stay on DST all the time. [emoji4]

ETA: Sorry, Amira. I'll be good now.

• Like 3

I like it today, because I can now have my kids go to bed at a decent time. Their bedtime had been shifting later and later.

Whiny part: But really I usually hate it because it makes my brain hurt to think about adjusting sleep schedules for my little ones. Also, no fair losing an hour!

I like it today but only because I forgot to set the clock before I went to bed...when I woke up at almost 9, it was really only 8.  That meant more time to clean before a friend comes over this afternoon!

Usually I don't care for dark evenings because I don't like driving at night...my eyes seem to play tricks on me.  Driving at night and when it's raining is double  :thumbdown: .  I love long summer evenings. 

As far north as I am now, I despise standard time. It doesn't help us get light any earlier (actually later even with the 'extra hour') and it's dark by mid-afternoon. I am definitely solar powered and all the dark makes me sluggish and tired. As mentioned above, I really don't like driving in dark and snow either. 

• Like 1