Menu

What's for dinner at your house tonight?

Well, at about noon, I realized I'd forgotten to put the roast in the slow cooker this AM, but we'd had a late b'fast, so no big deal. The roast was in by 12:30, so it would be ready for an early dinner.

About 3, I went to check on it, & that's when I decided to plug the crock pot in. :glare:

I'm now open to alternate plans, too. :bigear:

I was going to let the children eat themselves...

:blink:

Golly. I didn't really believe you before about being the meanest mom, but, well, ok. You win.

:smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:

(Sorry, it was just too funny to pass up. It's a typo worthy of Elaine, and that's high praise on this board!)

:blink:

Golly. I didn't really believe you before about being the meanest mom, but, well, ok. You win.

:smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:

(Sorry, it was just too funny to pass up. It's a typo worthy of Elaine, and that's high praise on this board!)

:lol::lol::lol:

We're having leftover spaghetti, I'm afraid.

We have a standing meal on Sunday evenings: popcorn and milkshakes. :) I've had that most Sunday nights my entire life. When I was in the Dominican Republic I had to buy popcorn and pop it at my host family's home on Sunday evenings to help from getting homesick! :)

I have company so it'll be a special dinner, but simple.

Baked salmon (marinated with teriyaki) with onions and sweet peppers, corn on the cob, green beans, bread.

I am going to make a dessert but not sure yet. I have some raspberries and I could make pudding with those on top and some cool whip.:tongue_smilie:

~Dana

Ohhh! Need the recipes for the last two! (I'm a vegetarian):001_smile:

Michele, Quite easy and I'm happy to share.

Garlic-Dill Potatoes

1 - 1 1/2 lbs small red potatoes, cubed (I had 8 small, but not tiny.)

Boil water & put in potatoes, cover & boil for 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a microwave safe bowl put 2 tablespoons butter, 1 tablespoon (or more) dill, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, 1 tablespoon lemon juice and 1-2 cloves minced garlic. Microwave until butter is melted. Just before potatoes are finished, add 2 tablespoons sour cream to butter mixture. Drain potatoes and put into butter/sour cream mixture.

Broccoli Slaw Salad

Dressing:

1 tsp soy sauce

½ cup oil

¼ cup red wine vinegar

½ cup sugar or splenda

1 pkg seasoning from chicken flavored ramen noodles

I usually double the recipe for the dressing and change the amounts to suit my taste. For example, I don't double the sugar and I add more red wine vinegar and more soy sauce. Sorry I don't have exact measurement changes. :) This dressing keeps forever and so I make a double batch and eat this salad for lunch or supper several times a week.

Salad:

1 bag broccoli slaw

1 bag cole slaw

4 green onion, chopped

2 packages chicken flavored ramen noodles, 1 seasoning pkg.

1/4 c. butter

1 c. sliced almonds

In a skillet combine 1/4 c. butter, 2 pkg ramen noodles (crunched up), 1 c. almonds and 1 pkg of the ramen noodle seasoning. You don't have to brown these (I like to), but the idea is to cover the noodles/nuts with the buttered seasoning.

Mix equal parts of the slaws, add green onions, top with noodle/nut mixture and pour a LITTLE dressing on top. A little goes a LONG way.

This is a huge favorite in my house.

Ummm... NO, that *wasn't* a typo! I used to have more children until I found this very handy way of cutting down on my grocery bill!

....maybe pancakes are a better idea?

Lol, well you're not the first to suggest such a solution. Jonathon Swift's Modest Proposal anyone? ;)

I think we should have a GIANT, WORLDWIDE progressive dinner ... everyone makes such different stuff and it all sounds delicious! I'm hungry again and we've already had dinner.

Tonight dh made "flattened chicken" on the grill - I love it if I don't have to look at it (poultry issues here lol), spicy hashbrowns and a spinach salad.

Here's the chicken recipe for those without the poultry-phobia: It's from Alton Brown's "I'm Just Here for the Food" cookbook. The recipe for the rub makes enough for two whole chickens:

1 T kosher salt

2 T black pepper

1 tsp cumin

1 tsp coriander

2 tsp garlic powder

1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

2 Whole fryer chickens

Canola oil (we use olive oil with no problems)

Prepare a med-hot grill using about 3 quarts natural chunk charcoal.

Mix the salt and all the herb and spice ingredients together in a jar or other container with a perforated lid.

Wash the chicken, remeoving the giblets, and pat dry. Carefully remove the backbone from the chicken using poultry shears or a large bonin knife. Remove the keel bone (or breastbone) and press the bird flat, like a butterfly.

Liberally rub both sides of the chicken with canola (or olive) oil, then sprinkle the spices to cover.

Place chicken, skin-side down, directly over coals. Place a roasting pan flat on top of the chicken and weight it down with 2 bricks. Grill until brown and deeply marked, about 12 minutes. The the chicken over, re-weight, and allow to cook another 15 minutes or until chicken is just done.

Let the chicken rest for at least 10 minutes, then bring to the table whole.

Last night it was late when I was thinking about dinner, so since it was pretty easy, we had chicken and dumplings.

Tonight the kids were at a movie with friends, so I bought a couple big pizzas for them. Since we were shopping while they were at the movie, we had those lovely spicy chicken pieces from the WM deli for dinner with some jojos. :)

I need to come up with something quickly. It's rainy and I don't feel like grilling what I've got thawed.

Hmm....what's cooking at your house?

Phlox

What I made & froze earlier :-) -- artichoke heart, lemon zest, and walnut pesto with spinach (frozen--it was on hand) and Italian sausage rigatoni.

Update:

We did not have leftovers tonight. DH has been Mr. Mom today because I have been so sick He made whole wheat Mediterranean couscous (It looked like rabbit pellets) with orange juice, brown mustard and carrots. I ate it of course. The Chipmunk ate two bites. It was not bad,but it was definitely out there.

4_12_12.gif