Menu

Best small (caged) pets for kids

DesertBlossom

I could have sworn I read a thread all about this once, but I can't seem to find it now.

What's the best small pet for kids (ages 5-10) that's relatively low maintenance, fairly inexpensive and maybe even a bit fun to play with. Low odor would be great too.  :laugh:

I don't get grossed out by much. I had 2 female rats as class pets when I was teaching elementary school and I loved those rats. But let's face it, my classroom stunk!  I'm leaning towards a reptile of some sort. And maybe even something we could have 2 of in the same cage because we have multiple wanna-be owners. 

So, in your experience, what's the best small caged pet for kids? 

Guinea pigs are fun. They are very friendly and affectionate, they'll eat anything, they make the cutest noises *ever*, and they are easy to take care of. You just want a cage that does not have a wire bottom (unlike bunnies, they have very soft little feet and the wire hurts them; also, their toenails can get caught in the wire. Ouch.)

They do not have a sense of height, though, which means they will fall right off a table. Your dc can play with them, but preferably on the floor, KWIM?

• Like 1

We had rabbits and loved them. You can litter train them so that they can play outside their cage. Like the poster above, I would suggest guinea pigs too, but only if your kids are old enough to handle them well. They can break their backs easily if they fall, and as she said, they are better off on the floor or with someone who can get a good hold of them. Neither are smell free though. :) With our rabbits, we just got a cage that had a drawer under it, and we lined it with newspaper, then bedding. Once every couple days the kids just pulled out the drawer and we were able to take the newspaper and all out with little mess.

We have had three guinea pigs for a few years.  Our experience is a little different, in that we find them to be super shy.  They will tolerate human contact, but are definitely not relishing it, lol.  They are also fairly high maintenance in their dietary needs, and certainly not low odor.  :-)

We LOVE our gerbils!

They are desert animals so their waste is very dry and compact.  Their cage rarely smells.  They are friendly and curious.  When we come into the room they'll run up to the side of the tank and stretch up to see us.  Our cats are obsessed with them and the gerbils seem to be just as interested in them and aren't afraid at all.  

Gerbils are very low maintenance, big personality, high interaction critters.  

If you do decide on gerbils, make sure to get a pair.  They're quite social and need a friend, they'll actually live longer if they aren't alone.  

• Like 1

We had a rabbit for about a year and he was the most high maintenance pet we've ever had, while also not being at all friendly and pooping all over the place.

Honestly for small easy pets cats are my first pick. They aren't caged, but they are easy to care for and other than the litter box pretty self sufficient.

After that I'd suggest guinea pigs.

I have a question on gerbils. Do you actually interact/play/pet on them, or are they more for watching entertainment? I had hamsters as a kid and loved them but gerbils always look like they are on crack at the pet store and are almost frantic compared to lazy hamsters. Can you play with them like a hamster or Guinea pig?

Yes, they'll clamber all over you.  Sniff you and tickle your face with their whiskers.  Think of them as tiny little hyperactive puppies.  There are lots of videos on line of kids training them to do mazes.  They'll run in a ball forever.  My daughter builds them elaborate mazes with toilet paper tubes.

And they've got such cute little personalities.  One of ours is very bold and outgoing.  She'll stretch up and try to sniff the cats when they come around.  Her sister is more sweet, a little shy at first.  

I actually might be hesitant for a lot of the small cadged animals for that age group.  Kids that age are often not really able to take care of the needs of those kinds of pets.

I tend to think the best scenario would be for animals that were mostly to be watched.  As long as a parent will make sure they are kept clean and fed, they'll be happy.  So - some amphibians and reptiles, maybe a few mice.

The trouble with animals like guinea pigs, rabbits, rats, iis that they typically need a bigger habitat than they are usually given, and they need to get out and have interaction, which most kids don't provide reliably.  And the younger ones also often are not gentle enough, even if they really try.

All that being said, I like rats the best.  They are really social animals that like being with people and can learn all kinds of neat tricks.  It's important to give them enough room and the right kind of bedding though, and remember that small pets can be almost as expensive as larger ones as far as vetting goes.

• Like 2

Not hamsters--nocturnal, not really interested in their humans, can be snappish

Not mice--nocturnal (love to run in their squeaky wheels at night!), can be stinky (especially the males)

Not guinea pigs--need a very large enclosure to be truly happy (see www.guineapigcages.com) and bedding is expensive, will beg for treats but don't really enjoy handling

Not fish--not very interactive, so children can lose interest quickly

Not rabbits--can be destructive and some seem to actively dislike humans

I vote for rats. They're very intelligent and friendly. Did you spot clean their cage daily in your classroom? That can go a long way to cutting down odor in any rodent enclosure.

Hope you find some pets you all enjoy!  :)

Rats are the best. Just wipe down the cage with baby wipes, including any bars that get peed on, wash any hammocks every week or so, and change the litter regularly (spot cleaning every day and fully dumping the litter weekly is a common routine). That cuts the smell to zero. It's old stale urine that causes issues, and keeping it wiped up is quite easy.

We love our bunny. I have made our large deck a safe haven for her so she has plenty of hopping space in nice weather during the day. She has a large cage we made for her in a room in our garage. She is litter box trained and even uses it on the deck. She is super cute and friendly. I think pets take a lot of work to socialize them. You have to play with them every day on their terms. During the heat of the summer I had her in my office while I worked, or my girls would bring her into the kitchen during lunch. We always brought her litter box with us. We know her favorite treats and grow them in our garden (lemon mint), and she loves apples. It is fun to get to know a small pet. She is not as loyal or loving as a dog or cat. But she is super cute and really it takes about 10 minutes a day about two to three times a week to clean her litter box. 

• Like 1

I did gerbils with my kids. they made mazes and did all sorts of things.  when they were taken from a cage - the space under the door had to be blocked.  they are very smart - and were little escape artists. and can fit under and behind alot of things.  I got really good at devising devious methods to trap them. (I improvised live traps)  you have to purchase them at the same time - they're very territorial.

I might be willing to do a guinea pig if dudeling were to want something.  (he wants a cat - allergies. I love dogs - dh doens't like pets at all.)

and fish are boring - though koi reportedly have quite the personality - and are aware when a pond mate has disappeared for care, and welcome them back.  the chinese garden in vancouver ring a gong when they feed the koi.  it's a huge pond - they all come when they hear the gong.

Gerbils were awesome! I would make them fun houses and mazes. The didn't smell like the mice. They were very friendly and enjoyed interacting. One day Data ate Jordie so that ended that.

The leopard geckos are easy to care for. The aquarium doesn't smell. You have to be careful not to drop or hurt them. Probably depends on the kid.

We love our bunnies. I wouldn't call them low maintenance but they are the most social of any small, caged animal we've had. They now have free run in dd's room (baby gate) and they run up to us if anywhere near the door. They are litter box trained, and clean up of the room and cage is easy. When we actually enter the room they run between our legs and can't wait for us to sit and play. They eat out of our hands and are just awesome.

Also keep in mind that kids with allergies can be allergic to rodents. I'm horribly allergic to rats, and guinea pigs, and rabbits. 

Very true! We discovered that the majority of our family members were allergic to guinea pigs, and we had to send them back to the rescue.  :(

I vote gerbils! We got a pair of sisters when I was about 11 and so brothers were 5 and 7. Like others, we built them mazes and loved playing with them. One great thing we did was train them to come to a bell. I rang a bell before feeding them, and they learned quickly. It made catching them when they got loose (those things can jump high and will work hard to escape when young and frisky) much easier. I recommend them whole-heartedly.