Menu

Looking for a good tinted lip balm or very sheer/light lipstick

Greta

I want something that feels soothing and moisturizing like a lip balm, but provides some color for my pale lips. This would be for super casual everyday wear - I do have some nice lipsticks for when I want to feel more made-up.

The trick is that my lips are insanely sensitive, and I cannot tolerate any shimmer (mica) or heavy fragrance (mint is not an option, for example). That seems to eliminate all of the products I've seen. :(

I'm normally a drugstore makeup kind of gal, but for this I would definitely be willing to pay department store prices.

Any suggestions for me?

I like the Burts Bees colored balm but it has something in it that has a little bite so it probably woudn't work for you.

Maybe you could look at a health food store? I was in one today and shocked at the number of hand lotions and soaps they had. I wasn't looking for makeup but I bet you could find something there or a knowledgable staff person could help you.

• Like 3

https://m.burtsbees.com/Replenishing-Lip-Balm-with-Pomegranate-Oil/15799-00-1,default,pd.html

I like Burt's Bees because it has some color.

Another one that I like is http://www.hurrawbalm.com/black-cherry.html, black cherry tinted lip balm, darker than above, wears out faster, very moisturizing.

Both have good ingredients.

• Like 1

Clinique's Black Honey Almost Lipstick is a classic. There are lots of "dupes" if you want to google for some to try. My best friend loves the Revlon version (Fig Jam?) but I don't care for it. Clinique has lighter shades if that's too dark. I'm sure there are dupes for those too! The Chubby Stick versions are also duped by Revlon. I think those are less sheer though.

• Like 9

Clinique's Black Honey Almost Lipstick is a classic. There are lots of "dupes" if you want to google for some to try. My best friend loves the Revlon version (Fig Jam?) but I don't care for it. Clinique has lighter shades if that's too dark. I'm sure there are dupes for those too! The Chubby Stick versions are also duped by Revlon. I think those are less sheer though.

I was looking at the Cliniue chubby stick online and wondering if that would work. But the Almost Lipstick is more sheer? I'd probably like that better, then. Or maybe you meant Revlon's version was less sheer.

I was going to mention Burt's Bees too, but I do think there is mint or something else in there.

I also love Clinique's Black Honey Almost Lipstick. Not sure what the ingredients are, though.

http://www.clinique.com/product/1603/4772/Makeup/Lip-Glosses/Almost-Lipstick

http://thebeautyjunkee.blogspot.com/2013/01/review-clinique-almost-lipstick-in.html

Another place to look is etsy.

ETA: Oops. Just now seeing zoobie's post. I agree. Love Black Honey. It's been a makeup staple for me for over 20 years.

• Like 1

I was looking at the Cliniue chubby stick online and wondering if that would work. But the Almost Lipstick is more sheer? I'd probably like that better, then. Or maybe you meant Revlon's version was less sheer.

I meant the chubby stick version was less sheer, but it's listed as a balm on Clinique's site. So I could be mistaken. I haven't tried Clinique's. I did try Revlon's Just Bitten version and didn't care for it, but that was several years ago. I have issues with staying in the lines with lipstick. It's sad. I stick with gloss, but my fave is very minty.

Clinique has bonus time right now at Dillard's.

• Like 1

I was going to mention Burt's Bees too, but I do think there is mint or something else in there.

I also love Clinique's Black Honey Almost Lipstick. Not sure what the ingredients are, though.

http://www.clinique.com/product/1603/4772/Makeup/Lip-Glosses/Almost-Lipstick

http://thebeautyjunkee.blogspot.com/2013/01/review-clinique-almost-lipstick-in.html

Another place to look is etsy.

ETA: Oops. Just now seeing zoobie's post. I agree. Love Black Honey. It's been a makeup staple for me for over 20 years.

Awesome, thanks for the links!

I meant the chubby stick version was less sheer, but it's listed as a balm on Clinique's site. So I could be mistaken. I haven't tried Clinique's. I did try Revlon's Just Bitten version and didn't care for it, but that was several years ago. I have issues with staying in the lines with lipstick. It's sad. I stick with gloss, but my fave is very minty.

Clinique has bonus time right now at Dillard's.

Thanks! Might have to make a trip to Dillard's tomorrow. :)

I love burt's bees lip shimmers, but they definitely have a little sting to them. I didn't like their tinted lip balm as much because it seemed to dry out my lips, but I don't remember that having a sting. Another product without the sting you could try is neutrogena's revitalizing lip balm. Sunny Berry is a great color. Or maybe their moisture smooth color stick, although the one I have has a bit of sparkle.

• Like 1

My daily lip balm, and that of both my dds, is Burt's Bees lip shimmer, but it has peppermint in it.  I would look into one of the other lip balms in the Burt's Bees line, though, as the others don't have peppermint, from what I recall.  We find the ingredients they use are really nice and moisturizing, and their tints are nice for everyday.

(I just read a couple other posters like the lip shimmers as well -- so, definitely try one of the other types of lip balms in their line, but avoid the "lip shimmers" if you don't tolerate peppermint, for sure!)

• Like 1

I love Burt's Bees. But the peppermint probably does you in. They have lip shimmers but those are more like a lip gloss. Plus side is no peppermint.

My next choice is Clinique. I got a neutral lipstick that works for my skin tone (twilight). Pricey, but worth it: https://www.clinique.com/product/1605/5404/Makeup/Lipsticks/Long-Last-Lipstick

• Like 1

Love love love Clinique Black Honey!

• Like 2

I've been using this since MIDDLE SCHOOL! I think it's responsible for keeping Clinique in business.

• Like 2

Sugar! They are fabulous. There are lots of tints. You can find them at Sephora, or on Amazon. (I'm sure other places carry them.)

I want to like Sugar, but the SPF in it (and any balm) bugs me. Just in case OP is sensitive to that as well as mint and etcetera. It smells so heavenly and feels good for about 10 seconds. :(

• Like 1

I want to like Sugar, but the SPF in it (and any balm) bugs me. Just in case OP is sensitive to that as well as mint and etcetera. It smells so heavenly and feels good for about 10 seconds. :(

Thanks for mentioning this. I'll check the ingredients. I know that my sensitive lips do just fine with mineral sunscreens (zinc oxide, titanium dioxide) but I'm not sure about the others.