Menu

California evacuees, Gold Country fire

Ms.Ivy

Please keep in your thoughts and prayers tonight the thousands of evacuees who have been forced to flee their homes in the Gold Country and other parts of Nor Cal. Many people are losing their homes and businesses, as entire towns are overtaken by the flames. Many families in the path of the fire had small ranches and were forced to let their animals loose as they evacuated. The fire is still out of control.

• Like 6

:grouphug:
Link to fire status page
http://cdfdata.fire.ca.gov/incidents/incidents_details_info?incident_id=1226

4 firefighters hurt so far :(
"Cal Fire said four firefighters suffered second-degree burn injuries and were transported to the burn center at U.C. Davis Medical Center. All are in stable condition. They were members of a helicopter crew based in Lake County."
http://abc7news.com/news/valley-fire-spreads-to-400-acres-in-lake-county;-firefighters-injured/981269/

ETA:

7 fires burning

http://cdfdata.fire.ca.gov/incidents/incidents_current?sort=incident_priority

Valley Fire 10,000 acres 

Butte Fire 65,000 acres - 15% contained  

Lumpkin Fire 350 acres - 20% contained 

Walker Fire 109 acres - 70% contained 

Antelope Fire 45 acres - 70% containment 

Tenaya Fire â€‹ 455 acres with 25% containment. on Sept 11 update

http://www.nps.gov/yose/blogs/fireinfo.htm

Oak Fire 106 acres 95% contained

• Like 1

Thinking of everyone affected. (( ))

I grew up in Northern California and my parents house is tucked in the hills. It was engrained very early that in case of fire, IF there was time to save anything at all make sure to take only photo albums. Anything else can be replaced. It was a childhood of fire fear, for sure, much moreso than earthquakes.

My brother lives in the hills of Lake County--off to see how far away that one is from him.

• Like 1

Thinking of everyone affected. (( ))

I grew up in Northern California and my parents house is tucked in the hills. It was engrained very early that in case of fire, IF there was time to save anything at all make sure to take only photo albums. Anything else can be replaced. It was a childhood of fire fear, for sure, much moreso than earthquakes.

You didn't keep a bag packed ready to go?

I keep the important stuff in the car all summer.

• Like 3

You didn't keep a bag packed ready to go?

I keep the important stuff in the car all summer.

Thx for reminding me to repack our evac bag. Good thing about digital is I just need the hard drive for photos.

Thinking of everyone there, this was our reality last year. We are moving into prep and clean up for summer mode now.

• Like 2

It's so bad this year, and with so many fires over such a large area north to south that evacuation is a bit hard to even picture.

Those mountain communities often have only one lane in each direction in and out, and a curvy windy one at that.

It was pretty nerve-racking to be up near Pinecrest over Labor Day, seeing all the smoke in every direction, and knowing that the road down the mountain would be an absolute parking lot while the road up the mountain goes so high and is so steep that it's challenging no matter what the conditions.  And the fires whose smoke we were seeing then are far bigger and less contained now.

• Like 2

It's so bad this year, and with so many fires over such a large area north to south that evacuation is a bit hard to even picture.

Those mountain communities often have only one lane in each direction in and out, and a curvy windy one at that.

It was pretty nerve-racking to be up near Pinecrest over Labor Day, seeing all the smoke in every direction, and knowing that the road down the mountain would be an absolute parking lot while the road up the mountain goes so high and is so steep that it's challenging no matter what the conditions.  And the fires whose smoke we were seeing then are far bigger and less contained now.

I heard yesterday of a friend-of-a-friend whose family nearly was trapped in the Valley fire.  Their daughter had to literally drive her car through the fire.  They are now evacuating the house that they had evacuated to.  There are rumors that their entire community is gone -- houses, church, everything.  

Another guy who is a friend-of-a-friend was staying in his house in an evacuated area north of the Butte fire.  I was worried for him.  The fire was approaching the only road out. If it did jump to his neighborhood, he'd have no way to escape.  

The Valley fire in Lake county jumped to 40,000 acres overnight. The towns of Cobb, Middletown and Hidden Valley Lake are very likely to be almost completly burnt down. I live in the next county and my eyes are burning from the smoke in the air. It is just terrible!!

Jenn

• Like 2

Some San Mateo county firefighters are going up to help for the Butte Fire, no info on help for Valley Fire yet. I know Santa Clara county also sends fire engines and helicopters up for this kind of situation but no local news yet.

"Fifteen fire engines from San Mateo County have been sent to the Butte Fire in Amador and Calaveras counties, Menlo Fire Protection District Fire Chief Harold Schapelhouman said Saturday."

The governor has just declared the valley fire a state of emergency. I guess national guards could be activated and deployed to help out now.

• Like 1

The governor has just declared the valley fire a state of emergency. I guess national guards could be activated and deployed to help out now.

I believe so.... the Valley Fire has 1000 fire fighters on it but it's completely out of control.  The Butte Fire has over 4000 personnel on it and I believe the CA National Guard was engaged there yesterday.  It's an "all hands on deck" situation.  

• Like 2

We could see the glow all night from the Valley fire, and the smoke this morning.  Over 40,000 acres affected, several towns burned to the ground. 0% contained.  And this is only one of many. I'm heartbroken for the people who have lost everything.  And so grateful to the firefighters and first responders who are risking their lives to help others.

• Like 2

The Valley fire in Lake county jumped to 40,000 acres overnight. The towns of Cobb, Middletown and Hidden Valley Lake are very likely to be almost completly burnt down. I live in the next county and my eyes are burning from the smoke in the air. It is just terrible!!

Jenn

Thinking of you, Jenn, and everyone affected.

My brother's house is safe but his access is limited with 29 closed. I can't even imagine how scary it must be. I remember feeling so helpless, smelling the smoke and watching the bombers but not knowing exactly which ridge the flames could come over.

I hope the holdouts come to their senses and evacuate when ordered (or before).

• Like 3

We were down there on vacation. They are all in our thoughts. I am livid at their government for not enforcing a statewide burn ban for air quality. it won't stop many of the wildfires but it makes the air better and can reduce the spread and need for firefighters around the state. My only hope is that the suffering of these families will result in serious policy changes in California.

The Rough Fire is also absolutely huge, and its containment has moved BACKWARDS from 31% to 29%.  That's one of the ones that has smoked up the Sierra Nevada Mountains and also their Western foothills.

Yup.   Though none of this is really a surprise.  

I'm in absolute awe of the fire fighters. 

My husband works in the foothills (not in the path of the fires) and he said it's so bad the smoke from the Rough fire burns his throat and he can see it roll like fog down the road.  Even down here in the valley the sky has been solid gray for the past few days.  

• Like 3

My husband works in the foothills (not in the path of the fires) and he said it's so bad the smoke from the Rough fire burns his throat and he can see it roll like fog down the road.  Even down here in the valley the sky has been solid gray for the past few days.  

It was already like that a week ago.  From Pinecrest we looked up at smoke in the sky, and down at smoke in the valley.  It must be a lot worse by now; we came back on Tuesday.

The Rough Fire is also absolutely huge, and its containment has moved BACKWARDS from 31% to 29%. That's one of the ones that has smoked up the Sierra Nevada Mountains and also their Western foothills.

This one is affecting us. Our air quality is horrible and we can see the plume from our house! The terrain is so rugged and overgrown that it can't effectively be fought.

This one is affecting us. Our air quality is horrible and we can see the plume from our house! The terrain is so rugged and overgrown that it can't effectively be fought.

Are you thinking about leaving?  I would be, I think.

Here in Silicon Valley we can smell smoke faintly, and there is a fine layer of ash everywhere, which is startling considering that we are 100 miles from the nearest of these.  I would hate to be close by. 

(((Krissi)))

Are you thinking about leaving? I would be, I think.

Here in Silicon Valley we can smell smoke faintly, and there is a fine layer of ash everywhere, which is startling considering that we are 100 miles from the nearest of these. I would hate to be close by.

(((Krissi)))

No, we're fine. We live in the valley, about 10 miles from the Sierra foothills. They've been having more and more evacuations closer to us, but it's still in the hills where things are very very dry, lots of dry grass and dead brush. I really don't think we're in any danger. But the air quality is horrible. My eyes are burning constantly and all sports have been canceled indefinitely. Part of the problem has been the 100+ degree temps which exacerbate the air quality. Temps are supposed to drop 15-20 degrees this week and there's supposed to be some breezes coming through, so hopefully that will clear out some of the smoke. We actually saw blue sky today. It's been brown for the past week.
  • Like 1

I have been praying for them all day. This was us in Shasta County last year. My family was six miles away from the Eiler Fire. Hat Creek still has sections that look like we had an alien invasion. The smoke from the Teneya Fire is making visibility here a problem. We have been having small accidents on HWY 44 due to poor visibility all day.

• Like 1

I just heard that there's another fire in Coarsegold which is near Yosemite. This is insane.

The fire is a bit south of the entrance to Yosemite. It's between Oakhurst and Coarsegold. I looked it up on the map. My sister-in-law and family live in Coarsegold. Hoping they don't have to evacuate.

** I just looked that one up. It's small, 10 acres burned so far and only the people living on that road have been evacuated.

• Like 2

Are you thinking about leaving?  I would be, I think.

Here in Silicon Valley we can smell smoke faintly, and there is a fine layer of ash everywhere, which is startling considering that we are 100 miles from the nearest of these.  I would hate to be close by. 

(((Krissi)))

It's so strange to me that we are in between the fire and SV but have no ash and no smell of smoke.

Some good news: NWS Sacramento is talking about the possibility of rain in the area of the Valley Fire on Wednesday.

• Like 1

The fire is a bit south of the entrance to Yosemite. It's between Oakhurst and Coarsegold. I looked it up on the map. My sister-in-law and family live in Coarsegold. Hoping they don't have to evacuate.

** I just looked that one up. It's small, 10 acres burned so far and only the people living on that road have been evacuated.

Just read that it's contained, so that's a relief.  I also read that there was a fire (now contained) in Cathey's Valley, which explains why it smelled like a campfire outside yesterday.  That's *way* too close for comfort.

I have so much respect for these fire fighters.  Words can't express...

It was reported the valley fire has a fatality yesterday night :(
:grouphug: to all with families and/or friends affected.

Your hemisphere needs to finish up your fire season before ours starts. All this gets scarier and scarier if we're not able to lend each other a hand.

Indonesia's forest fire is out of control too :( Smog is at hyper unhealthy levels back home and help was rejected despite multiple offers and past help rendered.
Hopefully no bushfires in your country during your fire season. Worse case, my country would be willing to send helicopters and whatever help over. SAF has a training base there.

ETA:

nice.

"Seventy-one firefighters, including 15 from New Zealand, were flying to the worst-hit state of Idaho and are also being deployed to the affected states of Washington, Montana, Oregon, Idaho and California, Australian authorities said." Yahoo News, Aug 23rd, 2015 

• Like 3

We were down there on vacation. They are all in our thoughts. I am livid at their government for not enforcing a statewide burn ban for air quality. it won't stop many of the wildfires but it makes the air better and can reduce the spread and need for firefighters around the state. My only hope is that the suffering of these families will result in serious policy changes in California.

I don't understand people who burn things during a burn ban. Also, does California do controlled burns (also called prescribed burns)? 

We have a fire season in Florida but it rarely gets as bad as in California. The 1998 fire season was an exception. It happened during a drought, but there had also been fewer controlled burns due to complaints by homeowners that they didn't like the smell or the air quality. Since then, the state has gone back to a more aggressive controlled burn plan as well as attempts to educate people (often newcomers who don't get it) to the necessity of such a policy.

:grouphug: Thinking of all those who have lost homes. The latest report I saw said at least 400 structures have burned and one person died. 

If any of you in the area hear of the best way to help, please post. Often people trying to help can make things worse: too many shirts and pairs of shoes donated when something else is needed more, sending money to dodgy groups that don't get the funds to the people who need them, etc.. Those nearest to the situation might have better knowledge of help centers and what's needed.

• Like 3

If any of you in the area hear of the best way to help, please post. Often people trying to help can make things worse: too many shirts and pairs of shoes donated when something else is needed more, sending money to dodgy groups that don't get the funds to the people who need them, etc.. Those nearest to the situation might have better knowledge of help centers and what's needed.

I've been hearing that the shelters up near the Lake fire have way more clothes and supplies than they need, and are going to distribute it to less fortunate areas.  Right now the request is more for financial donations to the Red Cross, who is helping people get temporary shelter while things are sorted out.

• Like 3

What a lot of people don't realize is that even in years with healthy amounts of precipitation, CA is largely a Mediterranean climate area.  That means that there are several (4-5) months from late spring to early fall when there is virtually no rain at all.  That means that the grassy areas are essentially tinder boxes for wildfires, even in a good year.  But we are 4 years into the worst drought in recorded history, so it's insanely dry here, and water reserves are very depleted, and even the trees are tinder now.  The drought is so bad that the underground aquifers in many areas have collapsed, which means that if it starts raining normally again our overall water storage capacity is greatly reduced.  I don't know of a way to fix this--we have benefitted from natural aquifers for decades, and that capacity is going to be difficult or impossible to replace.

Basically California is desertifying.

• Like 5

What a lot of people don't realize is that even in years with healthy amounts of precipitation, CA is largely a Mediterranean climate area. That means that there are several (4-5) months from late spring to early fall when there is virtually no rain at all. That means that the grassy areas are essentially tinder boxes for wildfires, even in a good year. But we are 4 years into the worst drought in recorded history, so it's insanely dry here, and water reserves are very depleted, and even the trees are tinder now. The drought is so bad that the underground aquifers in many areas have collapsed, which means that if it starts raining normally again our overall water storage capacity is greatly reduced. I don't know of a way to fix this--we have benefitted from natural aquifers for decades, and that capacity is going to be difficult or impossible to replace.

that's pretty much it! A homeschool friend if mine ranches in the foothills. They had a small brush fire on their property caused by a horseshoe striking a rock and sparking. The Rough Fire was caused by lightening strikes. Everything is just ready to burst into flame!

However, it is sprinkling rain here right now. Not much, hopefully they're getting more in the mountains!

• Like 4

I don't know of a way to fix this--we have benefitted from natural aquifers for decades, and that capacity is going to be difficult or impossible to replace.

I don't think it's completely fixable. I do think we can mitigate the effects by building desalination plants and building more water storage capacity so we can capture more rainfall and rely less on snowpack.

• Like 5

that's pretty much it! A homeschool friend if mine ranches in the foothills. They had a small brush fire on their property caused by a horseshoe striking a rock and sparking. The Rough Fire was caused by lightening strikes. Everything is just ready to burst into flame!

However, it is sprinkling rain here right now. Not much, hopefully they're getting more in the mountains!

OK, we're seriously in the same neck of the woods.  it was sprinkling here about 45 minutes ago.  People were posting about it in my fb feed.  I went outside to check but it had stopped.  However there was still that nice, cool, rainy smell, so I'll take it :)

• Like 1

I am a former resident of Lake County (went the high school there) and I am in tears...This fire just took off so fast and it is so close to the 2 other fires they had this summer. The hardest part is that A) no one know where Lake County is and B) there are so many fires right now that its almost hard to keep track.  I am praying for all those affected and sadly I think the news is going to get worse.  

• Like 1