Menu

Neighbor situation - what would you do?

pinkmint

Hi all, I am new here and have gotten some good support so far, so now I thought I'd run this by you all and see if anyone has insight for me. 

Basically our neighbor has left a massive pile of construction debris covering 30 feet of the sidewalk in front of our house, and it covers a portion of our front lawn. It's been there for over a month and there is some rotting animal carcasses going on in there from the smell of things. We've had heat that is no less than a high of 90 degrees lately during the day and the smell is traumatic. There are also rusty nails and jagged pieces of rotting wood poking out several feet in every direction. I have 3 children ages 6 and under. They cannot be out in the front of our house at all because of this situation. 

I have contacted everyone I know to contact, in particular the city code enforcement officer. Nothing has actually been done to remedy this situation. Here is what I see as a big part of the problem: we are renters in a low-income neighborhood (it is one of the ways we can afford for me to stay home and homeschool). Maybe our neighbor couldn't afford a dumpster service when he tore down the shed/ backhouse on his property. ( I assume he owns the home. We rent, as do most of the residents on this street. ) But at this point I am angry from having to sit here for a month being able to smell this death pile from inside my house so it's hard for me to think sympathetic thoughts toward my neighbor. 

We told our landlord, he seems to think he has no responsibility in the matter. We talked to the city, they are going to "fine him" until he does something about it, which, if you are poor and have bad credit anyway, who cares if you get fines. I called the illegal dumping hotline for my county. Nothing. Day after day nothing happens. What would you do, considering you have little to no money or resources and apparently no rights as a renter in a poorer community?

If it were me, I would raise holy heck with the landlord.  I would say that this make the house non-habitable because the property has become a public safety hazard (if there are rotting animals present).  I wouldn't threaten, but I would use that word.  Most landlords will act at that point, whether it's their own fault or not.  The law holds the landlord responsible for providing a safe and healthy home, and whether or not he made the mess, he is responsible not to allow it to be inflicted on you.

• Like 3

Can you call the non emergency police number and ask them to send an officer out? There may be something they can do due to the animal carcases.

I would start calling back the agencies on a twice wrekly basis to get something done. Maybe even an in person visit.

• Like 5

One option is to see how much you can clean up yourself.  It's nasty, and some (most) won't go in the regular trash, I assume.  So I realize this is probably not a realistic solution, for all kinds of reasons.  But it's something to consider.

Have you spoken to the neighbor?  I realize this may or may not be a wise choice, if the neighbor isn't a nice person.  Are they still around, or have they moved on, or gone on vacation?  Do they have a plan to deal with the debris?  Are they elderly or disabled?

When I lived in a low-income neighborhood, I kept a notebook, and called the appropriate city agency on a regular basis for issues like this.  I would call, ask when they thought they would get to it, and call back in a few days or a week accordingly.  I kept notes on each call, so I knew exactly how many times I'd called, when they were first notified of the problem, what they promised the last time, etc.  It was work, but it did in the long run produce results.  

I would consider calling public health (because of the animals), continuing to call code enforcement, calling law enforcement (non-emergency), calling the dumping hotline again.  Explain each time the extent of the debris (including the dead animals), any issues with the neighbors (elderly, disabled), who you've called, and what the result has been.  

What are the rules about putting construction debris in the regular trash?  Can at least some of it be broken up and put into bags and put out one bag a week?  

Can you call around and find out what it would cost to have someone remove it?  Would the landlord consider paying this if you do the arranging?  If not, would he go half-and-half with you, if it's not too expensive?  Or would the neighbors chip in?

Are there other neighbors affected by this?  Would they be willing to make the same phone calls you are making - squeaky wheel, and all that?  Or would they be willing to help bag it up and each put a bag in their trash?

Can you call your local politicians?  City council members, mayor's office, state representative's office?   Does your city have a 3-1-1 number?  Is there an ombudsman for your city?

I'm sorry you have to deal with this.  :-(

• Like 2

Can you call the non emergency police number and ask them to send an officer out? There may be something they can do due to the animal carcases.

I would start calling back the agencies on a twice wrekly basis to get something done. Maybe even an in person visit.

I'd be tempted to tell them you smell something dead and wasn't there recently a missing person?? Maybe that would get their attention?

• Like 2

I'd take a clear photo (with something for size reference if needed) and add text directly on the photo "When work was done at (address) this rubbish pile that stinks of dead animals and animal droppings was left in front of (address) on (date)"

I would include this with a letter asking that something be done. I would probably hand deliver the letter and first ask to see the appropriate person.

I'd start with city hall and ask who to see about a code violation. I'd go to the mayor if nothing was being done.

Hope it gets taken care of soon. Even if money is an issue the person who had the work done should at least move everything to their own property.

• Like 2

Landlords don't have that kind of authority. How can they "make" the other property owner do anything? While it's an unfortunate situation, it's not the landlords responsibility. In our city their is a neighborhood nuisance line, once a complaint is filed, the owner is notified then has a number of days to comply. If it's not taking care of the city cleans it up then bills that owner heavily.

• Like 2

I don't know what city/state you live in,. so the forms of city government vary a  lot.  If your city has a "City Manager" (a paid professional) I would call his/her office and speak with the Secretary there   Also, I would call the office of the Mayor and I would call Animal Control.

You may need to consider breaking your lease, if you have a lease. on the rental property you are living in. Probably what you are describing would give you grounds to prove that your health, and the safety of your children, are in danger.

Start looking for a new place to live in case this does not work out for you!

GL

Landlords don't have that kind of authority. How can they "make" the other property owner do anything? While it's an unfortunate situation, it's not the landlords responsibility. In our city their is a neighborhood nuisance line, once a complaint is filed, the owner is notified then has a number of days to comply. If it's not taking care of the city cleans it up then bills that owner heavily.

It's not the landlord's responsibility to make the neighbor comply.  But the debris is on the OP's property - the property she is renting from the landlord.  Because of that, it is, at minimum, the landlord's responsibility to make all the phone calls and what not to get it cleaned up, so that the property the landlord is  renting to the OP is free of health hazards.  Once the neighbor put the debris on the OP's property, it became the landlord's responsibility to their tenant to remove it.

• Like 6

It's not about the landlord making the neighbor do anything, it's about the landlord taking care of his own property so that it is habitable. He can sue the neighbor/council etc. I'd be tempted to tell him that the house is now a hazard and you're not having full or safe reasonable use. I'd go over the lease agreement with a fine tooth comb, I may threaten to stay in a hotel at THEIR expense until it's fixed or you are out. Id send it registered mail (keep a copy!) And give a time limit to respond. Do you have a tenants rights organization in your state?

So sorry you're going through this!

• Like 1

OP, once you've made all the phone calls and there is still no response from the city, you might want to take a picture and tweet it at the various agencies/authorities, with appropriate hash tags.  Also, see if there are Facebook pages for the various appropriate city agencies - again, a picture and description of the hazards, the stench, and the length of time it has been there may help.

• Like 2

Thank you everyone. I just called the non emergency police. Hadn't done that yet. Someone is on the way to talk to neighbor presumably... I don't know if this will help. I will update and move on to the next step if nothing comes of this. 

• Like 6

I'd be calling my landlord daily until he stepped up efforts to fix the situation. No, he can't force the neighbor to do anything but he should care enough about his property to handle it. 

At the same time I'd be calling/emailing your mayor/city manager/city council members about it. Our city government stinks but they seem to like to tackle small problems like this- they feel like it's something they can do something about with a phone call or two. It's worth a shot. 

Sorry you're dealing with this. You've been waaaay more patient than I would have been!!

I would call your local media. There was a situation in the area where nothing was resolved until the media came in. Once it was on the news, the city or county (don't recall now) came in and cleaned up the debris. They then fine the land owner for the cost.

Spoke to the officer on the phone and got a speech about how there's nothing the police can do. *Sigh* He told me to contact code enforcement which I have been doing. Does anyone have a link to information that would allow us to put our foot down with the landlord? I mean, I am reluctant to cause a stink if we have no legal rights in that regard but I do want to know. We live in Texas. 

Certainly we want to move. No question about that. No one would live in this place unless they couldn't afford better and that's where we are. 

I googled health department for my city earlier and it just linked to the US health and human services website, which is a mass of bureaucracy. If anything, the ideas of tweeting and calling the media would probably get the quickest response, unfortunately. I have been trying with the appropriate avenues and no one is doing anything. 

there should be a health department. It might be county based, depending on where in the country you live. Ours is. If you live in a borough or a parish or something like that then check that government structure. There has to be a local health department near you.  Best of luck!!

Sometimes the thing to do in this situation is get your local elected official to be your advocate the the code enforcement and health departments. Call or visit and explain the situation, ask them what they think you should do and if they know anyone who can help you. Post pictures of the mess and your kids not being able to play in their yard and post those to the social media accounts of your local news.

• Like 1

I will suggest you find if you or your landlord could be held responsible for the condition of the sidewalk and any injuries that could result from debris on your property or on the sidewalk in front. Some cities require residents to maintain clear sidewalks in front of their property. Understanding your liability could help your argument with the landlord.