Menu

PSA: Jalapeno peppers

Laurie4b

PSA: Do not chop jalapenos without gloves on. I had done it before with just one jalapeno with no issues, so thought all was safe and any previous warnings I had read must have been about those really hot peppers. Then yesterday I chopped several from the garden to freeze. No problem while chopping or for several hours, but then... yowza. Not only were my hands burning, but they became chemical weapons imparting the burn Midas-like to any skin I touched. I tried Dawn dishwashing liquid, water and baking soda, alcohol, olive oil, coconut oil, and a mixture of hydrogen peroxide,dawn, and baking soda. Nothing gave more than temporary relief. So, DON'T DO THAT!   :scared: 

• Like 7

I grow and handle all sorts of hot and superhot peppers.  I can chop up a ghost pepper with very little residual heat left on my fingers.  But jalapenos get me every time!  There's a volatility in jalapeno oil that I just don't find in the hundreds of other hot peppers I handle over the course of a growing season.

Unfortunately, all the suggestions you will find to tame the heat really don't work the best.  I've tried them all.  Lemon juice, salt, baking soda, yogurt, olive oil, soap and hot water, essential oils, nada.   The best defense is to wear gloves in the first place- nitrile work much better than latex.  Other than that, only time and awareness of hot fingers will keep other body parts safe.  Do not scratch an eye, nose, ear, or anything in the nether regions 24 hours after handling hot peppers- especially jalapenos.

• Like 3

Did you know you can freeze jalapenos whole? I just bring them in from the garden, rinse them off, and put them in a big freezer bag. I take out however many I need when I'm cooking with them and chop them up then.

I do the same thing. Easy peasy.

ETA: if you have any Tecnu around (a must for exposure to poison ivy) that should work well for washing hands after handling peppers.

I would also caution against chopping jalapeños without gloves and afterwards going to the bathroom to tend to one's monthly cycle... 

Hypothetical, of course. Not that I know from personal experience...  :leaving:

Also: Picking your nose, wiping your eyes, or going to enjoy some private alone time. These are all BAD IDEAS. Hot peppers and mucous membranes do not play nice together.

• Like 1

Yes, and they're cumulative.  I can make and can one batch of salsa (about 6 chopped jalapenos), and I'm fine as long as I don't do anything more with peppers for several days.

But if I do two batches of salsa a day over several days -- better wear gloves! My hands are tough, but I've really messed them up before.

• Like 1

Mineral spirits can help get the oil off; I think that's basically what Technu is( for poison ivy).

Milk helps a bit, or plain yogurt. One of the funniest moments of my life included habanero peppers, dh, a jug of milk and a bowl of yogurt.

I think I shouldn't ask! 

Can I add not to wire a light (or do anything involving very fine wires) and then make salsa?  All of those teensy, almost microscopic cuts that you didn't even know were there will fill with lime juice, jalapeno juice, and tomato juice.  I do not recommend this experience at all.

Yep, been there, done that..... only once. ONLY ONCE. 

I sat on the couch with my hands in ice water, constantly moving them as the sensation of moving water was about the only thing that would even marginally soothe them, and pulled an all nighter watching House MD. 

Milk, lemon juice, olive oil, all suggestions.... Didn't work for me, but I get the impression my case was rather severe, as I couldn't even remove my hands from the water without crying (went to the hospital, but since there was no visible marks the triage nurse, who has apparently never chopped chilli before, treated me as a psych patient imagining it, and when she did acknowledge my pain it was only to make snide comments about 'well, why did you decide to burn yourself in the first place'. After she refused to even get me any ice we decided I'd be better off at home)

The next day someone told me rubbing cucumber on it would help, I never got to test that theory as it had died down by about 24 hours later.

I've never cut a chilli since, too scared lol. 

My DD did that once . She cut up 2 cups full before she started to feel the burning. She stood by the sink with her hands in cold water for I hour before I rang nurse on call. they told me to ring poison information as you speak to a pharmacist. they told me to immerse her hands in either oil or milk. Apparently that is what is done for people who get capsicum sprayed- which is basically the same thing.