Menu

Anyone else starting on Monday?

We're starting on Monday (3 days before the public school here). I just have 1st grade PE left to plan, and then I'll be ready to start filling workboxes for my 1st grader. This weekend I've got to go over assignments with my 5th grader, so she can understand how to fill out her student planner for the week. We're doing half days for the first couple weeks. Last night my 5th grader chose to do Astronomy, Logic, Art, Skills, Literature, and Spelling for the first week. So that means I'll be going to the library on Thurs or Fri to get science books.

This summer went by fast!

Ruth

We just started yesterday for most subjects - English, Math, History, and Art.  I'm planning to add in Spanish after a little while.  My husband will be doing Science with the big kids on Saturdays while I take the little ones out for a while.  I'm less prepared than I would like to be, but I really wanted to get started anyhow because we didn't finish up last year.  We bought a fixer-upper house and I did "light" school while spending lots of time on the house and the move.

We started last Monday. The idea is to have a month-ish buffer in case we move during the school year. Besides, it's miserable hot outside. I'm *not* on top of things. 

(The outsourced things - choir, science and gym won't start until September, but we'll do swim lessons starting next week to bridge until gym class starts)

We started yesterday. It was clearly time because I heard the words "I'm bored" come out of a child's mouth.

That said, we're still going half-time, and we'll only do school in the afternoon next week because dd8 has rock climbing camp.

Emily

We are. The kids are excited, but I'm soooo weary from moving and being pregnant. We should get in a full nine weeks before my c-section and will then be able to take some time off or just focus on essentials for a bit without getting behind. For Monday, I'm planning to do just math and art to ease us in to the routine.

We sort of are. I started this week finishing up things but this will go on for a bit as things I got last year didn't work and I stopped a lot of that in April. We are almost done with that now. So Monday will start new math, Latin, and enrichment. We are finishing reading and spelling (new ones will start mid August). History (which he is a year ahead) and science will end in October. German starts in September.

At least this year I have a master plan. 😀😉

We are starting the next Monday (Aug. 10th).  I was working on the kids' school boxes yesterday, and when they saw me they both started begging me to start early.  Ha!  I love the enthusiasm, but I'm not ready.  And, I know that excitement might only last a couple of weeks.  ;-)

DD7 is begging to start, but I think she really just wants to be able to say "second grader", because we do school a couple times a week already. But I make a big deal of our "first day" and I think she's excited for that. And maybe for her new curriculum, but that's probably secondary to her! We have a lot of plans over the next few weeks so I think I would rather wait until the last week of August to officially start up for the year, and maintain our light summer schedule until then.

We are starting on the 3rd.  It's the only way to get in 18 weeks before Christmas and still be able to take a week off in October and for Thanksgiving.  I offered the kids to start later but they're ready to get at it.  I'm freaking out a bit since I have a High Schooler to plan for now but I'm getting there.  I told DS (9th grade) that everything counts this year which means I have to be super prepared and not as lazy as in the past.

We start Monday, too.  I just switched our French book (Abeka) after realizing I don't understand how to use all those books together, so I'm waiting for my Galore Park French, but other than that (oh, and a guide to D'aulaire's Greek Myths -- another last minute switch), I'm ready!  Oh, wait, I'm also waiting on Life of Fred Geometry.  But really, I'm ready!  Promise!

Go high school, woo!

Is Tuesday close enough? Monday my youngest has a doctor's appointment so Tuesday we are jumping in with a full schedule. (At least I think we will.) What I really want is another full month of summer. Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to accomplish that without giving up things like Christmas break. Who needs Christmas break, right?  I have everything here ready to go except me. 

Is Tuesday close enough? Monday my youngest has a doctor's appointment so Tuesday we are jumping in with a full schedule. (At least I think we will.) What I really want is another full month of summer. Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to accomplish that without giving up things like Christmas break. Who needs Christmas break, right?  I have everything here ready to go except me. 

Last year, I had the "genius" idea to only take off about 10 days at Christmas, and try to catch up from new-baby-vacation.  Yeah right!!!  Between making crafts for family presents, relatively nice weather (warmish) that brought all the neighbourhood kids out to play, followed by snow that obviously needed playing in...  We lost a standard three weeks!  

So I'm going to try to give us two weeks for Christmas this year and see if we manage to stick to that.  lol.  

• Like 1

We are. I want to get in a good chunk of work before Labor Day. DH is planning to take several days off. We're picking up where we left off curriculum-wise, so that's easy. I'm trying to think of something fun to do to celebrate the first day. It will be DD's first official year. We'll probably do pictures and a survey of some kind.

LOL at the bolded - that's exactly how I feel!  :willy_nilly:

We'll start Tuesday, too.  DS has two online classes starting after Labor Day, so I want to press harder in other areas in case we need to lighten up.  It would also be great to have a few things finished before AP prep is in full swing in the spring.  And, I swear, these classes are the only thing keeping me from changing my mind on a start date!  I am SO tempted to do just one more week of summer ... but there are books to read and videos to watch and - and - and....

Sigh.

:willy_nilly:

• Like 1

We're finishing the last bits of the 2014-2015 stuff this Saturday (we're a Tuesday-Saturday lessons family) after a rough year and weird weather made it better to press through, next week is off for everyone for two birthdays (mine is on the Monday) and likely won't be fully back until after the September birthday. I'm feeling a bit behind now  :lol:  :willy_nilly: Hope you all have a good first week.

I'm starting the oldest 2 on Monday and am finally excited about it...got a little burnt out last year ;)

My K actually is in week 3 so I could give myself a little adjustment time for schooling 3 this year instead of 2 (then again she's doing Abeka streaming so I'm not doing too much of the teaching)

This our 3rd week, we just jumped right in, it has been going pretty well, mostly due to the fact that the *baby* is pushing 3 and not so attached and I'm feeling better. So far I'm feeling good about the year but we've had a bit of a wonky schedule so far, with one more week to go like this. I can't wait until we have a normal schedule. I added a k'er this year and of course everyone's expectations have increased but I feel I'm up to it.

Guest lovelife

We are starting Monday. I realize there's much left to do! I'm browsing the forums while printing off all our stuff. I can't believe its here, summer went so fast!