Menu

NAACP - Dolezals - Fraud AA allegations

Murphy101

Can I just give a high five and hug to her mother - helping kids with RAD is hard, hard stuff. Whether any of the rest is true that's a big strain on a famil by itself.

She says that she's identified as black since she was five.

And that is the point at which the interviewer should have pointed out that she is either a flat-out liar or that if she has been that incredibly delusional since she was only five years old, she should really think about getting some serious mental health intervention.

• Like 4

And that is the point at which the interviewer should have pointed out that she is either a flat-out liar or that if she has been that incredibly delusional since she was only five years old, she should really think about getting some serious mental health intervention.

But see--why?  Why is this the response here--but for people who identify as another gender since 5--or even later in life--we just accept them (and whatever drastic surgery and hormonal treatments they want), and no one should ever say they are delusional and need mental health intervention??  I do not understand this disconnect at all, honestly and without a bit of snark.

• Like 8

Very bizarre.

The sex abuse allegations could be true, but how to believe anything this person has ever said ....

you can't.  she's made numerous claims of being the victim of hate crimes and discrimination.  she sued howard university for racial discrimination as a white woman (so how does this fit with her "identifying as aa" since she was five?).  that suit was tossed. she has made many other proven false claims.  nothing. she. says. can be trusted due to her own paper trail of lying.

• Like 4

So - did anyone see the Today Show interview?  She basically makes no apologies and she says she identifies as black. 

I saw it, and it brought back up some strong memories of the two I know IRL who have made up stories about their past, but believe them (those two are not race based).  She will get some who feel sorry for her and take the bait, hook, line, and sinker, regardless of the truth.

Her stories and "no apologies" coupled with the whole "style" matching those anecdotal cases I know in person definitely lead me to believe this is a mental disorder of some sort.

There's no way I'd believe much of anything she said other than anything I can confirm via a totally different source (not someone she's conned).

• Like 5

But see--why?  Why is this the response here--but for people who identify as another gender since 5--or even later in life--we just accept them (and whatever drastic surgery and hormonal treatments they want), and no one should ever say they are delusional and need mental health intervention??  I do not understand this disconnect at all, honestly and without a bit of snark.

Because her story is refuted by pretty much everyone who knew her.  She now says she did, but she didn't.  She probably believes it now, but it's a false memory.

• Like 2

she has gone out of her way to change her appearance to GET ATTENTION in order to fit her narrative. she's made numerous FALSE claims of being the victim of hate crimes - to *get attention*.  everything she has done is to *get attention*. she has lied, and lied, and lied.  if she just wanted to live like an aa woman, why didn't she just go live like a *normal* aa woman?  instead, everything she does, is to put herself in the spotlight so she will *get lots of attention*.

she seriously sounds like someone with hysterical personality disorder.

• Like 8

She says that she's identified as black since she was five.  Her family says otherwise.

Then why'd she sue Howard University for discriminating against her as a white woman?

That's the problem with lies.  Eventually you get buried in the hole you've dug for yourself.

• Like 9

But see--why? Why is this the response here--but for people who identify as another gender since 5--or even later in life--we just accept them (and whatever drastic surgery and hormonal treatments they want), and no one should ever say they are delusional and need mental health intervention?? I do not understand this disconnect at all, honestly and without a bit of snark.

Actually, most people who identify with another gender do need mental health intervention if they want to change their gender. No reputable surgeon would consider performing that kind of surgery on someone who hadn't been through intensive psychological counseling.

If I had a child who insisted that he or she was a different gender, you can bet that child would be in counseling to figure out what was really going on, and to help him or her work through the emotions and feelings surrounding it. I wouldn't rush off to get the kid hormone treatments or surgery without being 100% positive that he or she was truly transgendered and not just going through some sort of unusual phase that would eventually pass.

I think it sometimes appears that some of us who support transgendered people take the situation very lightly, but I don't believe that is the case.

• Like 10

I know. Crazy stuff.

Now, I don't think her being white should disallow her advocacy for the group, especially if it is a cause she feels passionately about. But the whole lying thing is bizarre.

We opened the floodgates for this insanity by recent laws affirming other sorts of identification that conflicts with reality.  Is anyone really surprised?  I'm not.

• Like 7

Agreed. This is the culture and way of thinking that has been created.  Everything must be fluid and now people are scrambling to NOT sound like hypocrites about all of these variations on identity and feelings (that always trump biology unless one would *prefer* to say biology "made me this way") and take the focus off the person's character issues or mental health.  Pretty soon the good ol' Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders is going to be full of empty pages. LOL 

• Like 4

If the Today Show did any kind of pre-interview, did the homework and research about this person, and still put her on the air, that troubles me.  It's not hard to conclude that there are some mental health concerns for this person.  I think it is cruel to interview her on TV.  

• Like 5

Actually, most people who identify with another gender do need mental health intervention if they want to change their gender. No reputable surgeon would consider performing that kind of surgery on someone who hadn't been through intensive psychological counseling.

If I had a child who insisted that he or she was a different gender, you can bet that child would be in counseling to figure out what was really going on, and to help him or her work through the emotions and feelings surrounding it. I wouldn't rush off to get the kid hormone treatments or surgery without being 100% positive that he or she was truly transgendered and not just going through some sort of unusual phase that would eventually pass.

I think it sometimes appears that some of us who support transgendered people take the situation very lightly, but I don't believe that is the case.

I don't think you take it lightly, and I'm glad, but what is the content of the counseling?  Because it seems the end game is to eventually change what is on the outside rather than *only* become at peace with the inside.  They CANNOT find peace with the external (in general, it seems)...but why not? It must be a horrible struggle and yet it seems like we aren't supposed to counsel them to be what biology and reality are telling us, right?  Would that be similar to telling a gay person to go into therapy to help them with those same-sex attractions?  (I know homosexuality and gender dysphoria ARE different, which is why I ask.) So I wonder if those with gender identity issues, a group shown to have higher rates of depression and suicidal thinking, are truly getting the KIND of mental care that they need...are psychiatrists even allowed to suggest that one find out the root causes of gender dysphoria so that they can eventually have feelings IN LINE with their biological reality?

(Sorry, lots of questions here, not necessarily aimed at you. lol)

• Like 2

We opened the floodgates for this insanity by recent laws affirming other sorts of identification that conflicts with reality.  Is anyone really surprised?  I'm not.

Which recent laws? I'm sure her disguise goes back further in time than "recently".

Howard University, not Harvard.  Her father was quoted referring to it as "the black Harvard" in the article, but it's a different school.

If she'd said she identified as black even though she is genetically northern European it would be comparable.  Saying that her biological father is actually her step-father is something else.

In the Today Show interview she did say she "identified" as black.  She also admitted that the African-American man who she had previously identified as her father was not her biological father, but was a "dad" to her and consequently was her family.  

Looking at all the crazy lies and the spotlight seeking I would agree with everyone who says she has some serious mental health issues.

However, I also think she's thinking very carefully about this (or is perhaps being coached by someone) and is using language designed to lead to acceptance of "transracial" people.  And, honestly, I don't see how society can condemn the idea of transracial.  

• Like 1

This case has taken some crazy twists!

I only hope the abuse case is sorted out correctly. It would be a tragedy if the bio brother has been falsely accused as a result of Dolezal's delusions and meddling. It would also be a tragedy if the accusations are true, but nobody will believe the adopted brother because he is tainted by association with Dolezal. What a horrible situation for everyone involved. It's amazing how much havoc a single person can cause.

• Like 6

In the Today Show interview she did say she "identified" as black.  She also admitted that the African-American man who she had previously identified as her father was not her biological father, but was a "dad" to her and consequently was her family.  

Looking at all the crazy lies and the spotlight seeking I would agree with everyone who says she has some serious mental health issues.

However, I also think she's thinking very carefully about this (or is perhaps being coached by someone) and is using language designed to lead to acceptance of "transracial" people.  And, honestly, I don't see how society can condemn the idea of transracial.  

It wouldn't surprise me if she's coming up with her "wise" answers from internet comments she identifies with.  ;)

She certainly would never see herself at fault for anything (misleading anyone or similar), nor would she see that she might need mental help.  The rest of the world that doesn't agree with her could use the help, of course.  (All the same pattern.)

• Like 2

If she had applied for the position at the NAACP (if that is the process) and had said in her interview,  "I am white but have been raised in black culture and I identify as African American in how I look at the world", we wouldn't be having this thread.  But she didn't.  

• Like 14

Most likely your white son. Affirmative action exists because, given two people with the same aptitudes, the person from the marginalized group is still less likely to get the job, and these policies seek to change that. Affirmative action does not mean that those belonging to marginalized groups now actually have the advantage. 

Rachel Dolezal changed her identity from white to black so that she could get the jobs she wanted. Now whether or not she actually HAD to do so in order to work for the NAACP is interesting, but clearly she thought so.  

Why was it that Elizabeth Warren said that she was Native American? An old article from Atlantic Monthly said she didn't benefit from it professionally, but her employer touted the fact that she was Native American.  Why would her employer do that?  Does it help an employer to be able to say, "We have these minorities on staff"? http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2012/05/is-elizabeth-warren-native-american-or-what/257415/

And here is an article about affirmative action in practice  http://www.nationalreview.com/article/418530/what-ivy-league-affirmative-action-really-looks-inside-david-french  

A bid my husband's empoyer recently competed for required that the bidding firms  list the ways that in which they hire and encourage minority subcontractors.  It's a big deal.  Your bona fides are the numbers you can present about the diversity of your business!

Based on what I am seeing in real life and what I am reading in the news, I don't think my white sons are at an advantage over my black daughters.  

• Like 1

Huh.  Just came across this. 1988.  I guess there's nothing new under the sun.

http://www.nytimes.com/1988/10/09/us/boston-case-raises-questions-on-misuse-of-affirmative-action.html?pagewanted=all&src=pm

Philip and Paul Malone are fair-haired, fair-complexioned identical twins who worked for the Boston Fire Department for 10 years. Last month both were dismissed when a state agency ruled that they had lied on their job applications: They had contended they were black. The finding has sent shock waves through the city government, touching off charges that employees of other agencies may have misused plans designed to remedy past discrimination against black and Hispanic workers.

Her parents *lost custody* of two kids for abuse. I think it is safe to assume that the courts had reason to take that action. She more likely than not was abused in some way or the other.

I haven't read anything about that, but my understanding was that the kid went to live with his sister and she had guardianship. I investigated this because I had my own teen brother and then later a sister living with me. Getting guardianship would have involved a trip to TX and appearing before a judge with my mother and court costs none of us could afford at the time, so we didn't bother with it, but just because someone has guardianship in no way means that anyone lost parental rights. It could just mean that they wanted to give her some legal rights to seek medical care, register him for school, etc.

Furthermore, I did listen to one interview with one of her adopted brother who said that he loves his sister, loves his parents and wishes she would come back home and be part of the family.

Don't care

Don't care

Don't care

Don't care

And you do not have to be black to go to Howard or work at NAACP.

I am just not sympathetic at all to the parents here. Her deception could very very likely from her background be coming from a sincere place (identifying as AA), instead of being cynical. I can't think of any pressing need to "out" her.

She's been living as a black woman for ten years. I'd hardly call that a pressing need. If the media did indeed approach them and ask them, what would you have them do? Continue this weird lie? Say no comment? Heck no, I'd tell the truth.

• Like 5

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/rachel-dolezal-race-controversy-naacp-figure-breaks-her-silence-n376326

She states in the video with Savannah Guthrie that she has never had a DNA test, there is no biological proof that x and y are her parents or are not, the birth certificate was issued a month and a half after her birth, there were no medical witnesses to her birth, and on and on...

Because there is a biological basis for gender and race is primarily a social construct. There are scientific biological (albeit some are somewhat theoretical) reasons for people having gender identity issues. Race on the other hand, is social and arbitrary. It would be like someone from Sweden saying they have known since the age of 5 that she was really an American. What is white and black? It's difficult to define because it doesn't exist except by social agreement that it does exist. 

• Like 5

She said the point at which her experience "really solidified" was when she took legal custody of one of her sons, Isaiah. He is black and had previously been adopted by Dolezal's parents.

"And he said, "You're my real mom," and he's in high school," Dolezal said. "And for that to be something that is plausible, I certainly can't be seen as white and be Isaiah's mom."

She adopted Isaiah, who is 21 today, when he was a teenager.

So she adopted a black child who once said she was his real mom, but she doesn't state that is actually his "real" (biological?) mother, but this is somehow proof that she's black? :confused1: :confused1: :confused1:

I can't even read this, I'm so confused.

But it does sound like if she actually officially adopted him, the parents relinquished or lost custody of him, as a teenager? At least according to her, who seems crazier every time I read something she's said.

• Like 2

she just gets nuttier and nuttier. now she says there is no proof that her parents are her bioparents.  she claims to have been born in the woods (is that like growing up in a teepee and hunting with bow and arrows and going to Africa?)  her birth certificate isn't proof - according to her.

• Like 7

Actually, I watched the interview and I thought she seemed rather nice, and genuine.  And there was an interview with his son which was also very sweet and loving towards his mom.

I think her parents are the real ones with the issues.  Who was she hurting.  Why would her parents go and bring this public humiliation on to her?

Perhaps I am more sensitive to her because I have been the person who has at times overly adapted to a culture not my own.  When I was younger it was very tempting to go all out on the Indian clothes, food, jewelry, etc.  Of course I never said I was Indian.  But I understand so identifying with a culture/background that is not your own that you might get that close.

Oh well, starting to reallly feel for people whose lives are put under the microscope once twitter picks up on their story.

• Like 1

Actually, I watched the interview and I thought she seemed rather nice, and genuine.  And there was an interview with his son which was also very sweet and loving towards his mom.

I think her parents are the real ones with the issues.  Who was she hurting.  Why would her parents go and bring this public humiliation on to her?

Perhaps I am more sensitive to her because I have been the person who has at times overly adapted to a culture not my own.  When I was younger it was very tempting to go all out on the Indian clothes, food, jewelry, etc.  Of course I never said I was Indian.  But I understand so identifying with a culture/background that is not your own that you might get that close.

Oh well, starting to reallly feel for people whose lives are put under the microscope once twitter picks up on their story.

Honestly?  Sweet and genuine as she tells everyone that she actually is black.  That she's never had a DNA test and so has no real proof that the people who raised her are actually her parents?  

• Like 6

Based on what I am seeing in real life and what I am reading in the news, I don't think my white sons are at an advantage over my black daughters.  

This will literally depend upon who's doing the hiring and which candidate will better fit their needs or vision for the job.  For some, it's white males, for others, diversity is useful.

Hiring minorities is something that should happen automatically without giving it any thought, but because that is not the case, affirmative action is needed. 

My ideal world would have the best person for the job getting it, regardless of their color or gender.  I wish no one would care what race/gender their engineer (or doctor, pilot, real estate agent, etc, etc, etc) is.  It really shouldn't be an issue any more than what color/gender their pet is.  Humans are humans, not clones, but all the "same" regardless.

I'm aware that we live in the real world and not an ideal world... 

People who make up these stories, then believe them (or maybe their mental illness has them believing the memories from the beginning, I'm not sure), count on folks listening 100% to what they say and how they say it and not doing any fact checking.  They get some of their highs from the "woe is me" story and the attention it brings them.

As mentioned many times before, her parents did not bring this on her.  If they'd wanted to, they could have started a brouhaha many years ago.  They were approached by a journalist doing what a journalist should do and FACT CHECKING.  Kudos to that journalist.  As for the parents?  They simply refused to lie.  Kudos to them too.  I doubt they were perfect parents - who among us are?  My kids will tell you we have our faults...

And the second bolded statement is the difference between her and you.  You still recognize reality.  People can have affinity for many things (look at all the collectors out there) and can identify with countries/cultures other than their own (many ex-pats too), but the lies?  Those are 100% their own issue.  And there's no doubt at all she's telling lies (and has been).  Not every statement can be fact checked, but those that can be sure haven't matched her version.

• Like 17

Well I just hope that I never have to have my life opened up to public scrutiny.  The web is uncaring and cruel from what I have seen.

Take that Nobel prize winning scientist who made the sexist statements a few weeks ago.  He was villified, lost his job, lost his role in numerous scientific institutions he had been part of for years.

Was the comment wrong?  Yes.  Sexist?  Yes.  Backwards and outdated?  Yes.

However, the interview with his wife, who identifies as a feminist gave a much fuller picture of the man, the work he had done, the support he had given students (men and women).  However, he has lost EVERYTHING from one really bad statement, perhaps made in jest.

I just think people are WAY To quick to judge people based on very little information circulated widely on the web.  Wouldn't want it to be me.

• Like 9

Honestly?  Sweet and genuine as she tells everyone that she actually is black.  That she's never had a DNA test and so has no real proof that the people who raised her are actually her parents?  

I'm not saying she doesnt' have issues.  She clearly does.

However, in the grand scale of things is there evidence that she was out to hurt anyone?  That she did hurt anyone?  From what I heard she was an advocate, a mother, a sibling.  Her relationship with her parents is clearly a big issue.  

I fall in the "race is a construct" side of the argument.  It is different than a nationality. 

At different times in American a different percentage of African-American heritage resulted in a person being designated black or not.

Are we really going to go back to a time when people had to chart out ancestry to determine...what?  The box that should be checked?

There are different cultures, different histories, different backgrounds.  That should be celebrated. 

People who make up these stories, then believe them (or maybe their mental illness has them believing the memories from the beginning, I'm not sure), count on folks listening 100% to what they say and how they say it and not doing any fact checking.  They get some of their highs from the "woe is me" story and the attention it brings them.

I must have missed something...is this a widespread problem?

I must have missed something...is this a widespread problem?

It depends upon what "this" is.  I've no idea how many people claim to be a different race and lie about their parentage, etc.  I would expect not many.

But there are people who create a whole different background than they actually had - or major parts of it (vs little white lies or differences in how they viewed something).  

I know two IRL where I can guarantee the stories they tell people are different from reality.  I know "of" two others from my past where people tried to tell me this was going on, but I didn't really believe them at the time.  Now I'd give them the benefit of the doubt, but that's only after having seen it happen in cases I can refute.

Then, of course, there are psychology books and case reports...

And who knows how many aren't ever caught.

But widespread?  That's a really vague definition.  I've no clue what percentages would be.

Well I just hope that I never have to have my life opened up to public scrutiny.  The web is uncaring and cruel from what I have seen.

Take that Nobel prize winning scientist who made the sexist statements a few weeks ago.  He was villified, lost his job, lost his role in numerous scientific institutions he had been part of for years.

Was the comment wrong?  Yes.  Sexist?  Yes.  Backwards and outdated?  Yes.

However, the interview with his wife, who identifies as a feminist gave a much fuller picture of the man, the work he had done, the support he had given students (men and women).  However, he has lost EVERYTHING from one really bad statement, perhaps made in jest.

I just think people are WAY To quick to judge people based on very little information circulated widely on the web.  Wouldn't want it to be me.

I can agree with you totally here and still see it as 100% different than the fake life being created in the current discussion.

The two aren't even remotely comparable.  One is a guy sharing his personal feelings and being "crucified" over it.  The other is a gal being exposed for promoting many lies about her past and "events" that happened to her.

• Like 9

Should she have lied?  No.

Should she be publicly vilified over international press, the web, chat groups, etc. because of those lies?  I don't think so.  In the grand scheme of things (what corporations and politicians are doing, for example) I think her life does not deserve to be pulled apart and examined by everyone (literally - it is the headline in EVERY online paper I read).

How many of us lead perfect lives?

How many of us have things in our past we would prefer not be made public?

How would it feel to have that as the lead story on the nightly news?  I think we need to stop the incessant prying into the lives of anyone that has not been perfect and who comes to the attention of the TWITTER-verse.

• Like 1

I'm finding it weird that her parents keep publicly throwing her under the bus (now came out and said she did not draw herself with a brown crayon as a kid).  

There's more to this story I think.

I wonder if it has to do with the daughter rejecting her parent's religious views and YEC views?

It's just strange behavior, IMHO.

I mean, if there was something like this with one of my kids....and I felt the need to put an end to the deception, I wouldn't have gone to the press.  I'd probably  have gone privately to the NAACP and made sure that they were aware of it.    Didn't one of her brothers have her made his guardian?  I think there's more there with the parents actually.

It's a bizarre situation.   

• Like 4

However, in the grand scale of things is there evidence that she was out to hurt anyone?  That she did hurt anyone?

Actually, yes.  She has reported numerous hate crimes committed against her because she is black.  These hate crimes were lies (never happened).  She was clearly trying to hurt those she was accusing.

• Like 11

Actually, yes.  She has reported numerous hate crimes committed against her because she is black.  These hate crimes were lies (never happened).  She was clearly trying to hurt those she was accusing.

If she appeared to be black or of mixed race and received a hate crime because of it, I'm not sure if it's a deception.   If a nonMuslim woman puts on a hijab, and is treated bad because of it, does it matter if she's not a practicing Muslim?  The intent was to harm her because she was a Muslim....same as the white supremacist who attacked the Sikh temple because he thought they were Muslims....or the Sikh guy killed after 911.

• Like 4

If she appeared to be black or of mixed race and received a hate crime because of it, I'm not sure if it's a deception.   If a nonMuslim woman puts on a hijab, and is treated bad because of it, does it matter if she's not a practicing Muslim?  The intent was to harm her because she was a Muslim....same as the white supremacist who attacked the Sikh temple because he thought they were Muslims....or the Sikh guy killed after 911.

If the hate crimes had actually happened, yes.  The thing is, they apparently never happened.  She made up the reports.

• Like 12

Her parents were approached by a journalist, apparently, and didn't want to lie about being her real parents.  I don't know what choice they had once it came to that. Lie and say they are not her parents to protect her cover as she asked one of her adopted brothers to do? 

I think the family is a complicated mess. You have an older bio brother Josh apparently at least somewhat estranged from his parents on religious grounds, and who is a accused of sexual abuse of the adopted daughter if I have correctly read between the lines. You have Rachel who has co-opted parts of other people's story as her own (e.g. her parents apparently lived in a tepee for a while when they were first married. She recounts growing up in a tepee. The person irl who I know who co-opted someone else's story as their own that has many traits of histrionic personality disorder). Her ex-husband is on record as saying that she was telling lies to their son to alienate the son from the father. You have 2 adopted brothers who staunchly defend their parents. You have one adopted brother who went to live with Rachel when he was 16. There was info about him having RAD. He made accusations of physical abuse which the other two brothers both deny happened. It is a horrific tangled mess. I would not want to be the mental health person who tried to untangle any of it.Who knows what else will come out? 

• Like 5

how about when she sued howard university for discrimination because she is white?  (the suit was tossed.)

(one of the most recent) how about her mailbox at the naacp - to which only she and the naacp mail-room had access, but "someone" allegedly placed uncancelled  (re: it was NOT mailed)  hate mail?   (iow: the whole thing was made up.)

she has a record of lying - and people who fact checked her claims found the lies.  growing up in a teepee, hunting their own food with bow and arrow, going to Africa (she's never been there) . . . . her father leaving the south because the police were going to kill him . . . . (her parents live in mt - the aa man she claimed as her father, didn't live in the south)

so much of what she has done and said is aimed at getting her attention.  she loves to get attention, and will lie to get attention.

her behavior does warrant further investigation into whether she has histrionic personality disorder.

• Like 10

Her parents were approached by a journalist, apparently, and didn't want to lie about being her real parents.  I don't know what choice they had once it came to that. Lie and say they are not her parents to protect her cover as she asked one of her adopted brothers to do? 

I think the family is a complicated mess. You have an older bio brother Josh apparently at least somewhat estranged from his parents on religious grounds, and who is a accused of sexual abuse of the adopted daughter if I have correctly read between the lines. You have Rachel who has co-opted parts of other people's story as her own (e.g. her parents apparently lived in a tepee for a while when they were first married. She recounts growing up in a tepee. The person irl who I know who co-opted someone else's story as their own that has many traits of histrionic personality disorder). Her ex-husband is on record as saying that she was telling lies to their son to alienate the son from the father. You have 2 adopted brothers who staunchly defend their parents. You have one adopted brother who went to live with Rachel when he was 16. There was info about him having RAD. He made accusations of physical abuse which the other two brothers both deny happened. It is a horrific tangled mess. I would not want to be the mental health person who tried to untangle any of it.Who knows what else will come out? 

I was reading somewhere it is racheal that is pushing the investigation and claims of abuse.

she's such a credible source. . . not.

• Like 1

how about when she sued howard university for discrimination because she is white?  (the suit was tossed.)

(one of the most recent) how about her mailbox at the naacp - to which only she and the naacp mail-room had access, but "someone" allegedly placed uncancelled  (re: it was NOT mailed)  hate mail?   (iow: the whole thing was made up.)

she has a record of lying - and people who fact checked her claims found the lies.  growing up in a teepee, hunting their own food with bow and arrow, going to Africa (she's never been there) . . . . her father leaving the south because the police were going to kill him . . . . (her parents live in mt - the aa man she claimed as her father, didn't live in the south)

so much of what she has done and said is aimed at getting her attention.  she loves to get attention, and will lie to get attention.

her behavior does warrant further investigation into whether she has histrionic personality disorder.

Suit was not tossed.  She lost and court of appeals agreed with the lower court's decision.  "Ultimately, Washington D.C.Ă¢â‚¬â„¢s court of appeals affirmed a lower court decision finding that the actions taken against Dolezal were not racially motivated. The case was dismissed and she was ordered to reimburse more than $2,700 in costs incurred by the university, as well as an additional $1,000 for an Ă¢â‚¬Å“obstructive and vexatiousĂ¢â‚¬ filing attempting to delay her medical exam."

I do think her behavior warrants further investigation....and perhaps psychiatric evaluation...but it's unlikely to happen unless she voluntarily submits to such things.  

• Like 1

best comment to a racheal article.

"I can't take it anymore.  how much do you want, and where do I make the drop?"

there are kookier and kookier claims everyday. now she say's the ex forced her to be in a s3x tape (he denies it.  I think I believe him.).  

• Like 2

She is a woman who defines her own truth. I, personally, call what she is doing lying. Here is how she describes it:

"I really feel like there have been moments of some level of creative nonfiction. I have kind of had to explain or justify some of the timeline and logistics of my life in a way that made sense to others," she said.

http://www.today.com/news/rachel-dolezal-caitlyn-jenners-story-resonated-me-t26651

• Like 4

As far as the idea that her parents "keep" publicizing her lies...

If they were asked outright if she is their daughter, what else should they have done? Fed into her make-believe story? They'd have the people in their lives wondering what was going on with THEM. All they did was tell the truth. As for additional interviews they've done, I don't know what the real story behind their family dynamics is or whether there was, in fact, any abuse. But if someone publicly accuses a person of abuse and such and they're innocent, well, they're going to need to defend themselves publicly as well. So, yeah, they're going to bring out her many lies and problems. She's damaging their reputations. Again, that's assuming there's no truth to the reports of abuse and it's just more of her nonsense. If she's lying about the abuse or twisting the story, she's hurting people. If she's filing false hate crimes reports, she's hurting people (by taking away resources from dealing with real crimes and/or making false accusations against individuals). If you do things like that, you risk being exposed publicly.

• Like 7

I saw the interview with her brother. He said she started making this stuff up in 2011/2012, hardly a case of identifying as an AA since childhood.  She even told him at one point "Don't blow my cover." referring to not telling about her race.  That is not something you say if you TRULY believe you are AA.  That is something you say if you are trying to live a (known and conscious) lie.

I can't imagine he has much to gain by giving the interview.  I tend to believe him, and thus question everything she says.

Mental illness is at play, but I think it's along the lines of NPD rather than identity issues.  I think this charade gains her plenty of narc supply.  NPD could also explain why she is estranged from everyone in her family.

• Like 4