Menu

Guess we won't be joining the YMCA...

So, I signed up my son for the YMCA, and applied for financial assistance. I figure this would be a great way to keep him involved in activities, make friends, etc. and join some programs as well like gymnastics and karate.

Well, it's $90 for the one-time fee and $61 a month for a family at full price. I'm pretty low-income & considered borderline disabled but not enough to get disability. My writing brings me a little bit of money, but not a lot. So I thought I would have to pay like, $10 a month or something, which I could manage.

They only awarded me 50% off...which means they want $45 one time fee and $33 a month. If I were able to afford $33 a month for something extra, I wouldn't be on food stamps.

Now I'm just sad and don't know what to do :( We live in Ohio and yeah, he can play outside for the summer, but come winter... my autism and overwhelming aversion to cold keeps me pretty isolated in general, and now I don't even have a way to get my son the extra stuff he needs.

What can I do now that I can't use the YMCA to get him the extra stuff? He can't join a local school team...he's been bullied because he's so tiny among other things, and this isn't a good area that we live in, but I'm stuck here for now.

No, I don't have anyone to ask honestly, everyone in my family is pretty poor.

The fees go even beyond just those ones. That's 50% everything including the programs. 50% of say, $100 for karate for two months upfront just isn't doable.

I knew they wouldn't cover it all, I was prepared for even up to 20%, but I can't manage beyond that.

Is there anyway you can save $10-15 a month and sign up in October? Then you'd be a little ahead... Or ask family to cover half?

Hmm I dunno, I'll have to check, but I liked the YMCA because many things would be indoors, or supervised where I wouldn't need to stay around or be outside, which I can't handle when it's cold.

Do you have a parks and rec department that has winter activities?

Around here there are a lot of places that have the occasional discounted day or bring in a can of food for the food bank and play for free kind of days. You would just have to make a list of all the paid places and make it a point to check them once a week or so to see if anything is coming up. Also check the bulletin board at your library maybe?

Get him an individual membership, rather than a family membership? Wait until they waive the signing up fee (I know they waived it Jan 1st?). Individual membership combined with waiting for them to waive the signing up fee would probably knock the price down to something more or less along the lines of what you budgeted. Also, I don't know where you live, so I don't know if you have only one YMCA within your area, but I live the same distance from two different Ys, and I could go further for a couple more Ys if I were motivated to, and some of the Ys cost more than others/have more programs than others, etc.

• Like 2

I did see I can call to discuss and even set up an appointment, so I will do that and see what they say :)

You can appeal the financial aid process at the Y.  That usually involves writing a letter and providing any additional documentation that might further explain your situation.  Of course they may or may not change their offer of aid.  

• Like 4

Hmm I dunno, I'll have to check, but I liked the YMCA because many things would be indoors, or supervised where I wouldn't need to stay around or be outside, which I can't handle when it's cold.

I'm not sure, but I think our Parks & Rec offers after-school care and summer programs that are partially inside (they do give the kids time to play outside, at least when the weather allows, which in WNY isn't always the case in winter). So, I'm not sure on the details, but Parks & Rec doesn't by necessity mean 100% outdoors.

With him being only 6, and me not really having a social life myself, I wanted it to be something both of us could do. There are quite a few in the YMCA system I applied for, the building I want to use has the most programs, especially the ones I know he's interested in doing...and I looked up the fees for them all, they don't vary that much (maybe $5?). I have the whole year to activate it, so I think I will call & talk to them, and if not, waiting until they waive the sign up fee sounds like a good idea, lol.

Get him an individual membership, rather than a family membership? Wait until they waive the signing up fee (I know they waived it Jan 1st?). Individual membership combined with waiting for them to waive the signing up fee would probably knock the price down to something more or less along the lines of what you budgeted. Also, I don't know where you live, so I don't know if you have only one YMCA within your area, but I live the same distance from two different Ys, and I could go further for a couple more Ys if I were motivated to, and some of the Ys cost more than others/have more programs than others, etc.

Haha, sorry, when I think winter I think all outdoor sports! I know what you meant though, I will definitely check into that as well.

I'm not sure, but I think our Parks & Rec offers after-school care and summer programs that are partially inside (they do give the kids time to play outside, at least when the weather allows, which in WNY isn't always the case in winter). So, I'm not sure on the details, but Parks & Rec doesn't by necessity mean 100% outdoors.

Also, I don't know if you could get a part-time job (ten hours a week or w/e) doing *something* at the Y. They're often looking for lifeguards for example. I think it includes a family membership to all the local Ys and a discount on their programs, but I'm not sure. At our Y they have childwatch (where they watch the kids while you exercise), and you may or may not be able to use that to look after your kid while you work (aquatics director was unsure on that point when I talked to her, and I haven't followed up on that).

• Like 3

I did see they look for volunteers and people to work; I would have to do something admin as I can't swim and am unable to stand for any length of time above 30 minutes. Pretty much "my hands work" and that's about it when it comes to working. I've been unemployed 7 years after a bad car accident, which ended my career in fast food. I will see if they are hiring or need office help though, couldn't hurt!

Also, I don't know if you could get a part-time job (ten hours a week or w/e) doing *something* at the Y. They're often looking for lifeguards for example. I think it includes a family membership to all the local Ys and a discount on their programs, but I'm not sure. At our Y they have childwatch (where they watch the kids while you exercise), and you may or may not be able to use that to look after your kid while you work (aquatics director was unsure on that point when I talked to her, and I haven't followed up on that).

• Like 2

With him being only 6, and me not really having a social life myself, I wanted it to be something both of us could do. There are quite a few in the YMCA system I applied for, the building I want to use has the most programs, especially the ones I know he's interested in doing...and I looked up the fees for them all, they don't vary that much (maybe $5?). I have the whole year to activate it, so I think I will call & talk to them, and if not, waiting until they waive the sign up fee sounds like a good idea, lol.

Did you check the difference in cost between the programs as well as the membership costs? We have some really crazy differences in our area from one Y to the next (somewhat understandable if you've seen the buildings though, but still).

For a 6yo, I'd try to be realistic in how many programs you *really* need. Yes, you may prefer certain programs, but if your main goal is for him to be active and play with other kids, then I think most Ys will have enough choices for that purpose. A $5/month difference on membership plus a $5 difference per programs (with there being Fall, Early Winter, Winter, Early Spring, Spring, and Summer sessions) could make the difference between being able to afford it or not if you're on a tight budget. And sometimes the difference is even bigger. I think the D Y in our area has gymnastics for $20 per 8 weeks, vs the K-T Y having it for $60 or so for 8 weeks.

• Like 1

Do you have to join the Y for your son to participate in classes?  Ours offers tiered pricing for children’s classes – one price for members and a higher fee for non-members.  It is less expensive for me to pay the non-member class fee than to pay for the membership plus the member class fee.  Plus, I only have to pay the months that my children are enrolled in classes. It does mean that we can’t use the Y facilities outside of class time. But, outside of classes, our Y severely curtails child use anyway.   

If you must join in order to take classes, see if there are special deals.  Our Y offers these a few times a year.  If you join during one of these promotions, the join fee is waived.   Also check the pricing for a child membership.  It should be lower than a family membership.

Check the programming at your public library and nearby parks.  I know Columbus, Delaware, and Dayton metro parks offer free programs.  Other metro areas probably do as well.  Is Cub Scouts or 4-H a possibility? 

• Like 1

I did see they look for volunteers and people to work; I would have to do something admin as I can't swim and am unable to stand for any length of time above 30 minutes. Pretty much "my hands work" and that's about it when it comes to working. I've been unemployed 7 years after a bad car accident, which ended my career in fast food. I will see if they are hiring or need office help though, couldn't hurt!

I don't know if you can stand frequently for short periods, in which case you could also get a receptionist job scanning people in etc. But I think they have to get up pretty often.

It certainly won't hurt to ask, and to ask them to keep you in mind if something comes up. I would check though on whether you can get childcare through them though (assuming you need childcare while you work).

Yes I have. I can go to any of them, they all offer different programs though and rarely overlap from what I can see in all the research I've done on it. Like I said though, I will call and talk to them about it. :)

Did you check the difference in cost between the programs as well as the membership costs? We have some really crazy differences in our area from one Y to the next (somewhat understandable if you've seen the buildings though, but still).

For a 6yo, I'd try to be realistic in how many programs you *really* need. Yes, you may prefer certain programs, but if your main goal is for him to be active and play with other kids, then I think most Ys will have enough choices for that purpose. A $5/month difference on membership plus a $5 difference per programs (with there being Fall, Early Winter, Winter, Early Spring, Spring, and Summer sessions) could make the difference between being able to afford it or not if you're on a tight budget. And sometimes the difference is even bigger. I think the D Y in our area has gymnastics for $20 per 8 weeks, vs the K-T Y having it for $60 or so for 8 weeks.

Do you have to join the Y for your son to participate in classes?  Ours offers tiered pricing for children’s classes – one price for members and a higher fee for non-members.  It is less expensive for me to pay the non-member class fee than to pay for the membership plus the member class fee.  Plus, I only have to pay the months that my children are enrolled in classes. It does mean that we can’t use the Y facilities outside of class time. But, outside of classes, our Y severely curtails child use anyway.  

Yes, I totally forgot about that.

Also, I don't know if any of the Ys in your area offer something like homeschool swim&gym? Our Y does - I think the nonmember cost is $245/year for one child, the downside being that it has to be paid in full by August 1st. They do 30min of swim and 30min of gym once a week (back-to-back). Great way to get the kid some exercise, swimming lessons and socialization with other homeschooled kids (and for you, with other homeschooling adults).

The Y also has summer camps - both day camps at the Ys, and residential camps in the woods. They have a program where kids can earn their way to camp by selling candy (I think the candy bars sell for $1 each of which $0.50 goes to the kid's camp payments). Not what you were asking about, but I thought it might be useful to know. The residential camp here starts with entering 2nd graders/7yos (although C was still 6 when he did the camp last year because he was an entering 2nd grader and almost 7).

ETA: if none of the Ys in your area offer homeschool swim&gym, try talking to some of the youth programs coordinators about it. One of them might want to add it to their program, since it's on the YMCA approved list of programs already and they may just need to know there is a demand for it in their area.

No, they do offer non-member pricing as well. If I can find out what they have scheduled in advance (so far I only see what they have immediately or in the near, near future), I will see about going that route, because I could save for it. Definitely better than paying $33 a month. :) I am in Akron. I know they have cub scouts, so I will check into that as well. :) Thank you for your thoughts!

If you must join in order to take classes, see if there are special deals.  Our Y offers these a few times a year.  If you join during one of these promotions, the join fee is waived.   Also check the pricing for a child membership.  It should be lower than a family membership.

Check the programming at your public library and nearby parks.  I know Columbus, Delaware, and Dayton metro parks offer free programs.  Other metro areas probably do as well.  Is Cub Scouts or 4-H a possibility? 

In the brochure/program info, they DO have homeschooling programs. However, I don't see them having any open/scheduled at this point, so I will call and talk to them. That would certainly cover him, and if it's a flat fee, I can work toward saving for it. The Camp here, is between $300 and $500 for half a week up to a whole week; I did check into that...and promptly laughed and closed the window! ;) I am hopeful things will get better for us financially in the near future, but for now, I will see if I can even find him one program I can afford for him to participate in. Good news is, he just got a bike so we can at least go riding together :)

Thanks for your advice, btw :)

Yes, I totally forgot about that.

Also, I don't know if any of the Ys in your area offer something like homeschool swim&gym? Our Y does - I think the nonmember cost is $245/year for one child, the downside being that it has to be paid in full by August 1st. They do 30min of swim and 30min of gym once a week (back-to-back). Great way to get the kid some exercise, swimming lessons and socialization with other homeschooled kids (and for you, with other homeschooling adults).

The Y also has summer camps - both day camps at the Ys, and residential camps in the woods. They have a program where kids can earn their way to camp by selling candy (I think the candy bars sell for $1 each of which $0.50 goes to the kid's camp payments). Not what you were asking about, but I thought it might be useful to know. The residential camp here starts with entering 2nd graders/7yos (although C was still 6 when he did the camp last year because he was an entering 2nd grader and almost 7).

ETA: if none of the Ys in your area offer homeschool swim&gym, try talking to some of the youth programs coordinators about it. One of them might want to add it to their program, since it's on the YMCA approved list of programs already and they may just need to know there is a demand for it in their area.

There is a big Y about 20 minutes from us but it is too expensive for us to join also. One thing I have considered is a desk job. Occasionally they have a desk job that is about 10-15 hours per week. It is minimum wage but you get a free membership for yourself and a discounted membership for your family.  Basically you check people's membership cards and answer questions.  The key is checking the job postings (or perhaps submitting an application early).  

Like others said, you can do homeschool swim or homeschool gym and swim (if offered--ours doesn't have that) as a program member. It is more expensive per session but if you don't need the Y for other things then it is less expensive overall.  For ours, homeschool swim is $41 per session (six weeks) as a program member.  Membership is about $80/month plus an annual fee, but only saves you $13/session.

You can appeal the financial aid process at the Y. That usually involves writing a letter and providing any additional documentation that might further explain your situation. Of course they may or may not change their offer of aid.

Absolutely this. I used to work at a YMCA and this is a very common thing. They have a designated person doing the financial aid applications and the first time is just a formula they apply. They absolutely have discretion to alter this given more information or extreme situations. Really, IME they absolutely want to help get your child in there. Especially if you go in with a lovely, 'is there anyway we can make this happen' attitude. It sounds awful but I can't tell you how many times people came in with a beligerent, 'you need to fix this now' demanding attitude. If they can help, it has always been my experience that they will.

Also, worst case you can get financial aid applied to a single class or program, or camp. So if there just isn't anyway to work out a membership, the FA can be used to do individual classes...

Good luck:)

• Like 2

Thank you, I will definitely talk to them about it, especially since my income isn't even as close to how much it was last year so far. And even though I get frustrated, I'm always kind so no issues there. I suppose I was in a bit of a shock when I saw it ;)

Absolutely this. I used to work at a YMCA and this is a very common thing. They have a designated person doing the financial aid applications and the first time is just a formula they apply. They absolutely have discretion to alter this given more information or extreme situations. Really, IME they absolutely want to help get your child in there. Especially if you go in with a lovely, 'is there anyway we can make this happen' attitude. It sounds awful but I can't tell you how many times people came in with a beligerent, 'you need to fix this now' demanding attitude. If they can help, it has always been my experience that they will.

Also, worst case you can get financial aid applied to a single class or program, or camp. So if there just isn't anyway to work out a membership, the FA can be used to do individual classes...

Good luck:)

In the brochure/program info, they DO have homeschooling programs. However, I don't see them having any open/scheduled at this point, so I will call and talk to them. That would certainly cover him, and if it's a flat fee, I can work toward saving for it. The Camp here, is between $300 and $500 for half a week up to a whole week; I did check into that...and promptly laughed and closed the window! ;) I am hopeful things will get better for us financially in the near future, but for now, I will see if I can even find him one program I can afford for him to participate in. Good news is, he just got a bike so we can at least go riding together :)

Btw, the financial assistance for the camps is often done by a completely different person with a different scale. You will never get less than what you FA percentage at the Y is but often more. And again, talk to the camp director personally as they can make it happen. Part of their fundraising is finding people who want to send kids to camp who would not otherwise go. If you want to send him, I can almost guarantee they will help you find a way.

As I said above, I worked there and helped navigate my sisters children through the process by speaking with the camp directors:)

Ah, good to know :) Thank you. This is really my first time trying to ever get involved in anything, so it's all new to me!

Btw, the financial assistance for the camps is often done by a completely different person with a different scale. You will never get less than what you FA percentage at the Y is but often more. And again, talk to the camp director personally as they can make it happen. Part of their fundraising is finding people who want to send kids to camp who would not otherwise go. If you want to send him, I can almost guarantee they will help you find a way.
As I said above, I worked there and helped navigate my sisters children through the process by speaking with the camp directors:)

In our system, you can opt for a branch only membership (can only use one location), a branch plus (includes a few specific location), or a regional one (covers using any Y in a large region), with widely differing costs for the different levels (and sometimes for the locations, depending on the facilities available). IIRC, even with the branch only membership, you could visit another location something like 3 times a month for free, so if there's a location close by that's affordable, but another one that has some kind of special facility (like an indoor water play area), one could use the visit passes to hit the special one once in a while. Maybe something like that would help make it more affordable.

I hope you're able to work out something with the ymca. I know policies and price points vary depending on location (eg start up fee here is $150 and monthly family membership is $120). I have always found that getting to speak with someone and explain things to them while you're actually looking them in the face has a way of cutting red tape. Hopefully talking with someone in person will help - best wishes!

• Like 2

I agree with seeing if there are job openings. I had many friends who worked 10 hours a week to get their family free memberships. At our Y at least, you would have to pay to use the childcare during this time unless you had other arrangements, but that would still be cheaper than paying membership fees.

• Like 1

Did you look into their campership programs though?

:grouphug:

I was also disappointed when I realized how $$ the YMCA programs were as well.  We're unable to afford many of the expensive programs and camps (sports, theater, art...) that children in our area take part in, and I thought the Y would be our answer.  Nope.   :glare:

Even with discounts, we still pay roughly 50% as well.  So we don't have a membership -- I just allow my kids to do 2 classes a year (homeschool PE, even though they offer 6 sessions of it, we can only do 2). 

Hope you can find something that works for you & your kiddo. 

How about hitting up a Monkey Joe's for a play session a once month?  :D They're $8 around here, for unlimited play time.  Or drop in at a Tumble  Gym every now and then -- those are sometimes affordable?

I would definitely try appealing up the chain of command--tell them your story and financial situation and could you get a "scholarship" for what you can afford. Maybe even talking with corporate YMCA before I gave up. Sounds like it could be a nice situation for your son.

• Like 1

Our y usually does pay by the day 2-3 times a year. If you join the first if the month, it's $1, the 15th, $15. Maybe they would waive your joining fee.

Also, in my town we have multiple locations. The monthly fee varies greatly based on which location you join. If you have another y not too far from you, you may want to see if you can get a better deal elsewhere.

It looks like Akron has a very active parks and Rec system (13 different community centers all saying they offer classes).  Things that are available are arobics, dance classes, youth sports like Karate, swimming, crafting, and DIY fitness centers.  I'd call each one individually to find out fees and class schedules but IME they don't cost a lot and some will even let you pay before each class.

Ooh yeah... can you pay per day at the Y? When we visited family on vacation last summer we just paid for the day to use the pool. Maybe you could just go sometimes then.

Any splash pads at the local parks?? I've seen those free or $5 a visit. I'm sure prices vary from place to place.

That is generally offered as a courtesy for people traveling. In our Y, the threshold was living outside a 50 mile radius.

I worked for our Y for years and my experience was exactly as Kerileanne described. Our FA person always talks to people before finalizing pricing, though, because she knows that what's on the paperwork is rarely a whole depiction of finances/challenges. Do set up a meeting, either by phone or in person, to discuss whether they can do better.

For a boy, dance programs and cheer gyms will sometimes waive class fees, since boys are rare. There are cheer gyms in my area that offer up to 20 hours of drop-in tumbling a week for a single fee, and if they'd give your son a waiver, that would give a lot of time options for him to meet other kids and just plain get some wiggles out. And if your hands work and you're at all crafty and could do things like make and rhinestone bows for hundreds of girls, it's even more likely you could work something out (I've known moms who got cheer fees waived for girls by being excellent at doing hair and makeup or making bows-and girls are a dime a dozen in the sport and rarely get any assistance whatsoever beyond parents participating in fundraising).

• Like 1

I've had my ds6 in the YMCA programs a full year now, and they've been AMAZING.  However we haven't done it as a family membership.  I really don't see your logic here.  To get social, you ought to enroll him in classes.  It sounds like you're saying you want to go swim with him, since that's about the ONLY thing you'd be able to do together with that family membership.  

My ds has had a full *individual* membership this year.  That makes classes half price, so I sign him up for gymnastics (RAT pack, mini stuntmen, etc.) and swim lessons.  Is your ds on the spectrum?  My ds has a boatload of labels, including ASD.  For him, going to the classes has been a good experience. We show up early and stay longer, so he gets time to work on social skills.  In the classes the teachers are fabulous.  It was his Y teachers who identified the ASD before anyone else, because they were spending so much time with him and saw the differences.  Not that they came out and said it, but they saw it and would say little things and affirmed it when we got evals.  Anyways, the Y's focus on who you are, not how you perform, and their willingness to take the time to work on social and correct behavior appropriately has been fabulous.  They keep him in the preschool classes for swim, allowing us to go in the daytime and giving him a variety of ages to socialize with.  

So instead of thinking nebulously that you want a Y membership, I would get very concrete.  I've been there so much with his classes, I haven't had TIME to work out at the Y.  I just changed us to a family membership to see if we can make it work, but for that, the only time I can really do it is when he's in his classes (which works, yes!) or if I put him in the child watch program.  That's why I really don't see how this is a social skill time for him or family bonding or something, kwim?  I just don't see what you're going to be doing.  You can pay to swim at a public pool or do a Y summer membership to get the pool.  For year round, I'm not sure what you think you're going to do?  Ours has workout rooms (which a 6 yo can't do), basketball and racketball (which my 6 yo won't do), and swimming (which is better as a class).  

Has he had any swim lessons?  I would STRONGLY encourage you to pursue swim lessons with him, talking with them about what you can do to bring that financially in reach.  Getting him signed up for swim lessons and having him take them over and over and over to get comfortable with the water (because of his SN) was the SINGLE SMARTEST THING I've done in a long time.  Because, with his SN, a two week session wasn't going to cut it.  

So maybe instead of full family, maybe individual child at full and then also half price on the classes?  They already give full members half price at our Y, so you'd literally, if they gave you a scholarship for half that, be getting classes for $15 a session.  Add that to the monthly cost for the individual with the scholarship, and you'd be within your budget maybe?  And maybe then add gymnastics on?  But swimming, that's the one to go for.  You're still together, but he's getting a really vital skill that might take a while to develop.  And what we do in the summer is go to the park after swim lessons.  Then you're getting even MORE social and more time together, and the price is right, free.  :)

I am the autistic one, not my son. He's "normal"...well, what normal is considered to be.

The Y has adult programs as well. I wanted to do something of my own, hence the family membership. I would like for him to do swim lessons, but I physically can't thanks to my water hypersensitivity. Thanks for the advice though, I am working through several options right now thanks to all of you.

I've had my ds6 in the YMCA programs a full year now, and they've been AMAZING.  However we haven't done it as a family membership.  I really don't see your logic here.  To get social, you ought to enroll him in classes.  It sounds like you're saying you want to go swim with him, since that's about the ONLY thing you'd be able to do together with that family membership.  

My ds has had a full *individual* membership this year.  That makes classes half price, so I sign him up for gymnastics (RAT pack, mini stuntmen, etc.) and swim lessons.  Is your ds on the spectrum?  My ds has a boatload of labels, including ASD.  For him, going to the classes has been a good experience. We show up early and stay longer, so he gets time to work on social skills.  In the classes the teachers are fabulous.  It was his Y teachers who identified the ASD before anyone else, because they were spending so much time with him and saw the differences.  Not that they came out and said it, but they saw it and would say little things and affirmed it when we got evals.  Anyways, the Y's focus on who you are, not how you perform, and their willingness to take the time to work on social and correct behavior appropriately has been fabulous.  They keep him in the preschool classes for swim, allowing us to go in the daytime and giving him a variety of ages to socialize with.  

So instead of thinking nebulously that you want a Y membership, I would get very concrete.  I've been there so much with his classes, I haven't had TIME to work out at the Y.  I just changed us to a family membership to see if we can make it work, but for that, the only time I can really do it is when he's in his classes (which works, yes!) or if I put him in the child watch program.  That's why I really don't see how this is a social skill time for him or family bonding or something, kwim?  I just don't see what you're going to be doing.  You can pay to swim at a public pool or do a Y summer membership to get the pool.  For year round, I'm not sure what you think you're going to do?  Ours has workout rooms (which a 6 yo can't do), basketball and racketball (which my 6 yo won't do), and swimming (which is better as a class).  

Has he had any swim lessons?  I would STRONGLY encourage you to pursue swim lessons with him, talking with them about what you can do to bring that financially in reach.  Getting him signed up for swim lessons and having him take them over and over and over to get comfortable with the water (because of his SN) was the SINGLE SMARTEST THING I've done in a long time.  Because, with his SN, a two week session wasn't going to cut it.  

So maybe instead of full family, maybe individual child at full and then also half price on the classes?  They already give full members half price at our Y, so you'd literally, if they gave you a scholarship for half that, be getting classes for $15 a session.  Add that to the monthly cost for the individual with the scholarship, and you'd be within your budget maybe?  And maybe then add gymnastics on?  But swimming, that's the one to go for.  You're still together, but he's getting a really vital skill that might take a while to develop.  And what we do in the summer is go to the park after swim lessons.  Then you're getting even MORE social and more time together, and the price is right, free.   :)

So, I signed up my son for the YMCA, and applied for financial assistance. I figure this would be a great way to keep him involved in activities, make friends, etc. and join some programs as well like gymnastics and karate.

Well, it's $90 for the one-time fee and $61 a month for a family at full price. I'm pretty low-income & considered borderline disabled but not enough to get disability. My writing brings me a little bit of money, but not a lot. So I thought I would have to pay like, $10 a month or something, which I could manage.

They only awarded me 50% off...which means they want $45 one time fee and $33 a month. If I were able to afford $33 a month for something extra, I wouldn't be on food stamps.

Now I'm just sad and don't know what to do :( We live in Ohio and yeah, he can play outside for the summer, but come winter... my autism and overwhelming aversion to cold keeps me pretty isolated in general, and now I don't even have a way to get my son the extra stuff he needs.

What can I do now that I can't use the YMCA to get him the extra stuff? He can't join a local school team...he's been bullied because he's so tiny among other things, and this isn't a good area that we live in, but I'm stuck here for now.

Have you tried parks and rec? It seems nuts that you could be on food stamps and not get a full scholarship at the YMCA. 

I have also found the B&G Club to be more affordable.

I also agree at getting him an individual membership. It didn't work for us with two kids and we eventually left the Y for similar reasons (price was too high for the services).

I'm sorry, what's a campership program?

The YMCA here has campership programs - basically where you pay a portion of the camp and they pay the rest through donations.  It is the way we manage summer camp.  We have to give them our financial information.

There are also other organizations here that help with summer camps for kids.... but they might just be Canadian.  Tim Hortons (our coffee/doughnut place - like a Dunkin Donuts, I imagine) - has a camp fund.  We also in my city have a 'Sunshine Fund' that is the same.

We do get sponsorship through the Y as well.  The amount has varied from year to year, and we really aren't supposed to discuss the amount.  I know that if you are paying under a certain amount it has to be approved farther up, so it is possible they don't even offer below that unless you kind of appeal or something.   We do pay more than we can really afford - but I have a family of 4 kids and we use it for their swimming lessons, which I feel is an important life skill.   I do get how what seems like just a little bit of money for most is a huge amount for others.  

I am the autistic one, not my son. He's "normal"...well, what normal is considered to be.

The Y has adult programs as well. I wanted to do something of my own, hence the family membership. I would like for him to do swim lessons, but I physically can't thanks to my water hypersensitivity. Thanks for the advice though, I am working through several options right now thanks to all of you.

Just to check, is that to being near water or in water?  The infant/toddler classes require the parent in water, but the preschool classes do not.  At our Y they're marketed for 3-5 year olds, sometimes 6 year olds.  My ds was late 5 when he started and they just kept him in.  If he has any issues at all (sensitivities, fear of water, anything) or just fits in better with 3-6 year olds than 6-12 year olds, that preschool track is a fabulous way to help him through it, and you wouldn't have to be in the water for it.  I waited and had my dd do the older kid track, and it was a mistake, which is why I mention it.  She struggled with the motor planning and the pace of the class.  

If you want to work out, sometimes a park or walking trail will have exercise equipment.

Ah, I see. I haven't heard of any such thing but they may very well have it. And pretty much anything is too much for me in general, I've never made a lot of money although I do try. I normally don't talk about such things, but I'm just very frustrated in general with this lol.

The YMCA here has campership programs - basically where you pay a portion of the camp and they pay the rest through donations.  It is the way we manage summer camp.  We have to give them our financial information.

There are also other organizations here that help with summer camps for kids.... but they might just be Canadian.  Tim Hortons (our coffee/doughnut place - like a Dunkin Donuts, I imagine) - has a camp fund.  We also in my city have a 'Sunshine Fund' that is the same.

We do get sponsorship through the Y as well.  The amount has varied from year to year, and we really aren't supposed to discuss the amount.  I know that if you are paying under a certain amount it has to be approved farther up, so it is possible they don't even offer below that unless you kind of appeal or something.   We do pay more than we can really afford - but I have a family of 4 kids and we use it for their swimming lessons, which I feel is an important life skill.   I do get how what seems like just a little bit of money for most is a huge amount for others.  

Most times I can't handle the smell of chlorine in general. My hypersensitivity is to being touched by cold or even warm water; my showers are steaming hot to the point my skin turns red. If I touch cold or warm water, my skin itches and burns; it's terrible and funny all at the same time. But I have allergies & sensitivities out the wazoo. Luckily my son doesn't have the same problem. :)

Just to check, is that to being near water or in water?  The infant/toddler classes require the parent in water, but the preschool classes do not.  At our Y they're marketed for 3-5 year olds, sometimes 6 year olds.  My ds was late 5 when he started and they just kept him in.  If he has any issues at all (sensitivities, fear of water, anything) or just fits in better with 3-6 year olds than 6-12 year olds, that preschool track is a fabulous way to help him through it, and you wouldn't have to be in the water for it.  I waited and had my dd do the older kid track, and it was a mistake, which is why I mention it.  She struggled with the motor planning and the pace of the class.  

If you want to work out, sometimes a park or walking trail will have exercise equipment.

Thanks again everyone. I will try a few things and see what happens! :)

• Like 1

Most times I can't handle the smell of chlorine in general. My hypersensitivity is to being touched by cold or even warm water; my showers are steaming hot to the point my skin turns red. If I touch cold or warm water, my skin itches and burns; it's terrible and funny all at the same time. But I have allergies & sensitivities out the wazoo. Luckily my son doesn't have the same problem. :)

Thanks again everyone. I will try a few things and see what happens! :)

Make sure you have a chance to visit the facility if it has an indoor pool and understand whether you need to be in the pool area with your son if he takes swimming lessons/uses the pool. All of the indoor pools we've been to have *very* high levels of chlorine and it is concentrated in the enclosed air. I have a friend who cannot bring her children to the local Y for homeschool swim days because she has a bad reaction to the chlorine (multiple chemical sensitivities related to Lyme disease) even if she just sits in the room. The chlorine level is also an asthma trigger for another person I know. You'll want to see how strong the chlorine smell is in other areas of the facility as well if it is that much of a trigger for you.

You can also check to see if they have (or would be willing to have) homeschool days. We set up a homeschool swim day once a week or a month (can't remember) at one point with our local Y. Free to Y members, but only $2 per swimmer for non-members per visit and I think we had the space for 2 hours.

• Like 1

Haven't read previous replies.

Who did you talk to regarding the lower income fee? The regular workers can only go by the chart they're given, but those in supervisor positions can go lower. When I worked there, part of the giving back to the community included extremely low or free memberships at that Y only. I have never heard of a needy family being turned down.