Menu

Lifeguarding. A vent.

zimom

My daughter was hired about a month ago as a lifeguard for a new water park in our area. She is so excited about this opportunity. There have been a few red flags, such as it is obvious that their training requirements are not near as strict as what is required with REd Cross lifeguard training, etc, and my daughter takes lifeguarding very seriously.

Today she had orientation for paperwork, etc. She was informed that all the girls would be required to wear bikinis! Although I prefer that my children dress more modestly, I do not require it. THIS daughter, however, is modest. She is not comfortable in a bikini. Of course, what lifeguard can be professional and do their job in a bikini? And then to the point, what kind of 'family' water park requires girls to wear them? Are they putting the guys in banana hammocks?

She was caught off guard when this happened at the orientation. We had a long talk about never giving up your values and comfort just for a job. At this point we have had her email the manager (above the person today) to find out the official word. If she is still told the same thing, she will be telling them she is no longer taking the job.

• Like 1

Poor girl. That's so disappointing to be put in that position of having to compromise or forfeit a job. I hope the manager sees reason. I was a lifeguard for many summers and I agree that it would be very difficult to do that job effectively while worrying about undue 'exposure.'

• Like 5

Is it a two piece sports suit like this:

http://www.6pm.com/zoot-sports-interval-swim-set-beet-flash

Or an actual bikini? That would make a difference if it were me.

That top looks pretty secure, but those bottoms are very low rise. In the event of a frantic, thrashing victim, I would be worried of my bottoms getting pushed down and there is no margin of error with a low line like that. A lifeguard should only have the safety of her guests on her mind. If a young woman is at all uncomfortable with her attire, for exposure reasons, there should be an acceptable alternative.

ETA: I'm not sure why this suit would not be an example of an 'actual' bikini? Their own description refers to it as a bikini.

• Like 2

That top looks pretty secure, but those bottoms are very low rise. In the event of a frantic, thrashing victim, I would be worried of my bottoms getting pushed down and there is no margin of error with a low line like that. A lifeguard should only have the safety of her guests on her mind. If a young woman is at all uncomfortable with her attire, for exposure reasons, there should be an acceptable alternative.

I linked another suit up there from a lifeguard store after you posted.

Also, two of my daughters own that first suit. I bought it for them so they can run and jump and dive and swim with their younger siblings. It works great...covers the entire bum and never moves up or down.

I linked another suit up there from a lifeguard store after you posted.

Also, two of my daughters own that first suit. I bought it for them so they can run and jump and dive and swim with their younger siblings. It works great...covers the entire bum and never moves up or down.

That's great. I'm sure that's the case, but for someone not comfortable in a style like that, they will likely feel different. At the water park near us, we see a variety of shapes of swimwear on the lifeguards (all red though). I think that within reason, options should be available. I have no problem with a lifeguard in that suit IF they are comfortable with it.

• Like 4

I've never heard of Lifeguards wearing bikinis; the ones associated with pools/beaches I've been at have all *required* 1-piece suits.  Any serious swimmer for a swim team, dive team, or lifeguarding position knows that the distraction if potentially losing your top makes 2 pieces (bikinis or not) a no-go.  Perhaps your DD can find a place to lifeguard that takes it's lifeguarding role seriously.  And no, this is not a modesty issue; I am the most immodest person you'll ever meet. 

My daughter was hired about a month ago as a lifeguard for a new water park in our area. She is so excited about this opportunity. There have been a few red flags, such as it is obvious that their training requirements are not near as strict as what is required with REd Cross lifeguard training, etc, and my daughter takes lifeguarding very seriously.

Today she had orientation for paperwork, etc. She was informed that all the girls would be required to wear bikinis! Although I prefer that my children dress more modestly, I do not require it. THIS daughter, however, is modest. She is not comfortable in a bikini. Of course, what lifeguard can be professional and do their job in a bikini? And then to the point, what kind of 'family' water park requires girls to wear them? Are they putting the guys in banana hammocks?

She was caught off guard when this happened at the orientation. We had a long talk about never giving up your values and comfort just for a job. At this point we have had her email the manager (above the person today) to find out the official word. If she is still told the same thing, she will be telling them she is no longer taking the job.

• Like 10

I am assuming there is one uniform for all female lifeguards. Some women don't like bikinis, but there are also lots of women don't want to have to be fully covered all summer long.... particularly women who are young and in good shape, so less ashamed of their bodies than other women are (just to put it bluntly). 

I don't think it's necessarily wrong to give women a uniform that is as comfortable as men's, and to me, that would probably mean a suit that was functional and not bulky..... in other words, a sporty tank or non-skimpy bikini.

• Like 2

Yikes! I would have been *so* uncomfortable lifeguarding in a bikini! Even a sporty one. I was a large-chested teenager, and my books would have been constantly threatening to slide out the bottom.

Did they give a reason as to why it's their policy?

ETA: The pool I worked at had the exact opposite policy: NO TWO-PIECES!

• Like 3

That's great. I'm sure that's the case, but for someone not comfortable in a style like that, they will likely feel different. At the water park near us, we see a variety of shapes of swimwear on the lifeguards (all red though). I think that within reason, options should be available. I have no problem with a lifeguard in that suit IF they are comfortable with it.

I don't think the waterpark should be required to make exceptions for anyone who isn't entirely comfortable with the uniform. But that wasn't really my point. My point was, there are perfectly safe and functional two piece suits that aren't bikinis. I can't imagine any place would require suits that would require suits that require tugging and sedentary behavior to remain in place.

• Like 1

I would be uncomfortable life guarding in a bikini, but I'd be far more uncomfortable lifeguarding, or having my child lifeguard at a place whose safety procedures raised "red flags".  There is no way I'd want my child in a situation where they could be involved, even indirectly in negligence that lead to someone's death.

• Like 9

I think she will be sorry if she keeps the job. It sounds presumptuous to require a woman to wear a two piece swimming suit. I am just guessing that there will be other ways they will be presumptuous. They will change the schedule at the last minute, or take things out her paycheck they shouldn't, ect.

• Like 1

I don't think the waterpark should be required to make exceptions for anyone who isn't entirely comfortable with the uniform. But that wasn't really my point. My point was, there are perfectly safe and functional two piece suits that aren't bikinis. I can't imagine any place would require suits that would require suits that require tugging and sedentary behavior to remain in place.

But many jobs have ranges for uniforms, why should lifeguarding be different? Swimsuits, just due to their nature are harder to fit and not at all one size fits all. Women who are very long in the torso have a hard time with one pieces for example. Obviously there have to be limits, but like I said Water Country (water park) has a great solution for this. If you go to Walmart or a restaurant, the uniform is two separate pieces where the employees get to pick their own bottoms (usually black or tan pants.)

• Like 3

I pretty much put two pieces in two categories, a bikini or a tankini. She described the top as a bra so to me that is a bikini. She is extremely fit so it is not a matter of trying to hide or being embarresed of her body. She is just honestly a modest young lady and I will not have her compromise herself. Now my youngest is the other extreme and if she wasn't always in a training suit at practice, she would probably be in a bikini in a second and I wouldn't stop her.

Oh well. She is still waiting on her answer from the top. Fortunately,she is having a great attitude about this bump in the road. Another learning experience.

• Like 11

But many jobs have ranges for uniforms, why should lifeguarding be different? Swimsuits, just due to their nature are harder to fit and not at all one size fits all. Women who are very long in the torso have a hard time with one pieces for example. Obviously there have to be limits, but like I said Water Country (water park) has a great solution for this. If you go to Walmart or a restaurant, the uniform is two separate pieces where the employees get to pick their own bottoms (usually black or tan pants.)

I actually don't disagree, although in most cases you really don't get a whole lot of choice. I have a 5-1 daughter for example who works in a restaurant and is required to wear a company-issued shirt. The smallest size is a "unisex" small. It goes down to her knees! Lol, she looks like she's wearing a clown suit.

Anyway, I sort of got pulled into a tangent here. My only point was that 2 piece doesn't necessarily equal bikini and 2 piece doesn't necessarily equal unsafe. I don't think there's enough information to get our dander up about the waterpark policies.

Eta: the op updated while I was posting. If the bra top is a sports bra style, then that's a completely reasonable expectation for the job.

It's pretty unsafe from a sun damage perspective. Maybe it's an indoor water park ?

Any swimsuit is, honestly. Unless it's covered by a rash guard to the wrists. I was coming at unsafe from the perspective of distraction in an emergency.

Eta: I see you mentioned this up top. Yeah it would be nice if they provided that option for those who wanted it.

• Like 1

I pretty much put two pieces in two categories, a bikini or a tankini. She described the top as a bra so to me that is a bikini. She is extremely fit so it is not a matter of trying to hide or being embarresed of her body. She is just honestly a modest young lady and I will not have her compromise herself. Now my youngest is the other extreme and if she wasn't always in a training suit at practice, she would probably be in a bikini in a second and I wouldn't stop her.

Oh well. She is still waiting on her answer from the top. Fortunately,she is having a great attitude about this bump in the road. Another learning experience.

That's cool and I'm glad she's taking it well.

We are a medium size town. Our swim community is small. My daughter has been a licensed lifeguard for a couple of years. I know the swimmers in town, I know who is already certified. I know how many lifeguards they need. I obviously know my daughter's own swimming ability, her endurance and fitness. Their ridiculous policy will be costing them one of the best lifeguards they could have had,not to mention just a great overall employee.

• Like 3

I really am befuddled by those that say it is a reasonable expectation for them to require my daughter, my MINOR daughter, to wear a two piece bathing suit as a job requirement.

I just don't see it.

You mean me? It has nothing to do with the fact that she's a minor. A sporty two piece intended for lifeguarding isn't inappropriate for a 14yo. A private business can choose its uniform and a potential employee can choose whether or not she is comfortable with it. Whether or not she (or you) likes it is a separate issue. Some people wouldn't be comfortable with a one piece either.
  • Like 6

That requirement would annoy me. I get wanting the lifeguard staff to be uniformly dressed so they're recognizable, but that can be done with a variety of suits. A red suit can be in many different styles and still be recognized as lifeguard staff.  If a girl wants to wear a bikini, ok, I guess. But she can still be an effective and recognized staff member wearing a one piece, boy shorts, a tankini, or whatever suit she wants. 

If it were my business I would want the girls (and guys) in modest clothing, wearing a t-shirt or rash guard over the suit to limit the ogling, flirting, etc. It won't eliminate it, but it won't flaunt a staff member's body as much either. 

I hope she hears back that she can wear a cover or a more modest suit.  Kudos to her for the way she's handling this!!!

• Like 5

I am completely baffled someone actually believes that those that prefer something other than a two piece must not be young, in good shape, and must be ashamed of their bodies. Wow! That is so far from the truth as I see it with my own teen dds and their peers (and we're in coastal Florida). Many choose two pieces but those that don't aren't lacking in any of those areas.

• Like 17

It is a summer lifeguard job. They are hiring minors. Why should she have to expose her midriff???? Why is that a REQUIREMENT of the job? It will not help her do her job better. If she actually has to do a rescue and they struggle and pull at her suit it will hamper her performance. She isn't there to have guys gawk at her. She isn't there to be their eye candy to boost attendance.

• Like 22

Maybe it's so people don't have to get 100% naked to use the restroom. Broken stall door? :laugh:

My girls are competitive swimmers. They don't take their suits off for the restroom :)

Edited... But they do go TO the actual physical restroom, not in the pool!! They just have a trick :). Now, I just got back with a few kids from a huge meet and they were in technical knee suits (20 minutes to put on each time), that's a longer story.

• Like 4

I agree. It is dangerous for her (increased sun exposure) and dangerous for those she's guarding (What if the top/bottom comes off in a rescue? Surely that would distract at least for a matter of seconds) to wear bikinis. Ridiculous! Good for her for standing strong!

• Like 3

. She isn't there to be their eye candy to boost attendance.

Exactly this.  This is such a relevant point--her job is not to be pretty (that is a bonus, of course); her job is to ensure the safety of the guests.  She can do that in a one-piece lifeguard suit just as well as or better than she can in a two-piece lifeguard suit.  I get why some of the girls would want the two-piece suit (tan that midriff while you're on duty and all), but the lifeguards will all be sufficiently identifiable and uniform in red one- or two-piece suits.  After all, the men don't have to wear bikinis, so the male and female lifeguards don't match.  I see no reason that all of the female lifeguards have to match to that degree.

I hope the managers come to their senses.

• Like 9

I really am befuddled by those that say it is a reasonable expectation for them to require my daughter, my MINOR daughter, to wear a two piece bathing suit as a job requirement.

I just don't see it.

It's not that she's required to wear 'a two piece suit', it's a uniform, right?  Male lifeguards often wear no top and it's socially acceptable, not a big deal.  Female lifeguards often wear two piece suits and it's socially acceptable, and not a big deal.  

If she is uncomfortable and declines the job, I think that is completely reasonable. 

If the suit is deliberately provocative, like hooters uniforms are, I'd be sharing the outrage.

But it sounds like she'd only be ok with a tank suit or something more modest.... which is not necessarily the norm.

• Like 3

If the male lifeguards are required to wear speedos, that would be equivalent to me. I also wonder why the suit requirement was not mentioned during her interview.

I don't think I've ever seen a male lifeguard as exposed as any female lifeguard.  The parts a speedo exposes-- full legs, bum hugging, and so forth -- are also exposed in a tank swimsuit. 

Is it a two piece sports suit like this:

http://www.6pm.com/zoot-sports-interval-swim-set-beet-flash

Or an actual bikini? That would make a difference if it were me.

Or this: http://www.thelifeguardstore.com/productcart/pc/Guard-Female-Poly-V-Back-Bikini-447p16875.htm

A two piece, racer back suit would be fine, imo.

I see two different styles of bikinis in those links.

• Like 1

My girls are competitive swimmers. They don't take their suits off for the restroom :)

Edited... But they do go TO the actual physical restroom, not in the pool!! They just have a trick :). Now, I just got back with a few kids from a huge meet and they were in technical knee suits (20 minutes to put on each time), that's a longer story.

:lurk5:

PS:  If/when she hears from the higher ups, please ask what they are expecting the boys to parade around in.  Anything less than a speedo and I'd fry them with talk of discrimination. But that's just me. 

• Like 4

The local HOA has 20 pools and a few hundred lifeguards in the summer. The lifeguards must purchase a suit from them. The girls are given an option of one or two piece. The lifeguards are also issued 2 tee shirts or tank tops (their choice tee or tank). All uniforms have the HOA logo, so it's obvious that it's a uniform. When dd worked for them she ordered the one piece (her choice, not mine). At work, she wore the suit, shorts, uniform tee, hat and sunglasses and lots of sunscreen (dd is extremely fair). Dd knew only a couple of other girls who got the one piece. The local water park also has uniform with one and two piece options and the lifeguards often wear tee shirts when on duty. 

I suspect the water park may have done a bulk purchase of uniform swimsuits and that is why wearing the two piece is a requirement. Before making a judgement, I would want to know if lifeguards were issued a tee shirt with their uniform and permitted to wear it at any duty area in the waterpark. 

• Like 6

:lurk5:

PS: If/when she hears from the higher ups, please ask what they are expecting the boys to parade around in. Anything less than a speedo and I'd fry them with talk of discrimination. But that's just me.

We are trying to let her handle this part on her own and due to what has transpired so far, we are hoping the ultimate outcome will be she will be telling them she will not be following through with training and the job.

Then it should be fun. We have asked her which family member she would like to accompany her to get her training $$ back. She had to pay up front today for the lifeguard training in a couple of weeks. They would not accept her Red Cross lifeguard training, much more thorough IMO. Not sure who is the best candidate right now: lawyer dad, mama bear, older protective brother ready to flip right now, or an extended family member living with us who is nothing like her in values but loves her immensely and we might have to bail out of jail if we let her go with her :)

• Like 8

Well, except for Sadie's point that there is also the sun damage issue to consider, and a long sleeved rash guard is an efficient way to avoid that.  They're actually pretty popular here, although my kids don't wear one.

I actually don't disagree, although in most cases you really don't get a whole lot of choice. I have a 5-1 daughter for example who works in a restaurant and is required to wear a company-issued shirt. The smallest size is a "unisex" small. It goes down to her knees! Lol, she looks like she's wearing a clown suit.

Anyway, I sort of got pulled into a tangent here. My only point was that 2 piece doesn't necessarily equal bikini and 2 piece doesn't necessarily equal unsafe. I don't think there's enough information to get our dander up about the waterpark policies.

Eta: the op updated while I was posting. If the bra top is a sports bra style, then that's a completely reasonable expectation for the job.

Maybe it's so people don't have to get 100% naked to use the restroom. Broken stall door? :laugh:

A tankini would allow for that. I can understand why a two piece suit might be appealing.

But I also vote for full coverage. Less to worry about. More RED suit actually visible to make one easily recognized as an authority/safety officer of the facility.

• Like 2

There are a few programs that certify lifeguards. Although I work at a Red Cross facility, Red Cross Lifeguarding is not necessarily the most thorough. You might not be aware, but Red Cross only this year started a course specific to water park attractions. This new course is only good for places that have attractions no deeper than 3 feet--so no wave pools or deep slides. Some certification programs cover waterpark attractions within their regular training.

Some certification programs have follow up in which the certifying group sends staff to facilities and observes the lifeguards and they do take away certifications on the spot based on what they see. This results in the lifeguard being fired because employment is based on certification. Our park authority requires this type of certification at both the indoor rec facilities and the outdoor waterparks it runs.

Part of the thoroughness depends on the actual instructors. If the waterpark is making new hires go through a program they prefer, they may also know the instructor and have confidence in the way that instructor trains and evaluates. This requirement is part of their management of risk.

• Like 6

Yeah, I don't think it is unreasonable for a water park to insist on its own lifeguarding course. I actually wouldn't be ok with "these lifeguards all separately took Red Cross lifeguard certification wherever".   ITLP yes, random Red Cross no.

I'd also want to know if the park allows lifeguards to wear t-shirts.  That would be good for sun protection. I actually don't think sun risk is a reasonable excuse to say bikinis aren't ok.  Tank suits expose just about as much and no one is outraged by them.

And I'm a little uncomfortable with the suggestion that a female lifeguard in a two piece is the equivalent to a male lifeguard parading around in a speedo.  It really isn't--unless you are leering.  There will be people who leer at girls in bikinis... and girls in tanks, and girls in shorts.   I don't live my life around what creepers think.

• Like 4

Eh, this sounds like a trick that would end badly for me.

I've taught my daughter to just pull the crotch area off to the side a little bit to go pee. Far easier than taking off a wet one piece suit. 

• Like 4

Yeah, I don't think it is unreasonable for a water park to insist on its own lifeguarding course. I actually wouldn't be ok with "these lifeguards all separately took Red Cross lifeguard certification wherever". ITLP yes, random Red Cross no.

I'd also want to know if the park allows lifeguards to wear t-shirts. That would be good for sun protection. I actually don't think sun risk is a reasonable excuse to say bikinis aren't ok. Tank suits expose just about as much and no one is outraged by them.

And I'm a little uncomfortable with the suggestion that a female lifeguard in a two piece is the equivalent to a male lifeguard parading around in a speedo. It really isn't--unless you are leering. There will be people who leer at girls in bikinis... and girls in tanks, and girls in shorts. I don't live my life around what creepers think.

Not unreasonable, but if it really is their own course, it is likely equivalent to employee training, which means they not only cannot require the employee to pay for it but actually would have to pay for her time taking it. I don't know whether that is the case here, but the girl's dad is a lawyer; I am sure he can figure out whether this argument will help her case. Even if it is borderline, the mere threat of being ratted out to the DOL might encourage them to see things her way.

• Like 2