Menu

Would it be crazy to buy all the Singapore Standard copies I need

ksr5377

for the next 9 years of homeschooling?  We're beginning 3A.  I have 3 more children coming up behind.  This is the first math program that I have used where after finishing the year I was certain I would stick with it.  Or would you just switch to something that's 'almost' as good.  

I wouldn't do it.  You never know what may change.  Even though its working for your first child now, you may hit a wall with it where it stops working.  

I tend towards cautiosness with buying very far out, though.  I hate knowing that if I don't end up using something, I'm going to waste half of the money when i go to resell it.  

Well, I had every SM level when my oldest was that age because it was SUCH a good fit for her. I saved every book because I was sure it would be a good fit for my younger two as well. Suffice it to say it was not. SM was a total bust for my second child, and I knew by book 1A. Saxon ended up being a better fit for him, much to my chagrin (definitely not my learning style, and something I turned my nose up at for my oldest).

So you never know . . . I wouldn't buy ahead, but I certainly wouldn't be on the lookout for something else if what you have is working so far. Just keep in mind that the next one (or two, or three) may be entirely different learners for whom something else is needed.

This is totally illogical, but I went ahead and bought CWP levels 2, 3, 5 for my children because they are not producing CWP books anymore.  This is something that must be taught in my household.  I'm not very good at word problems, and I like the way SM explains it. 

That being said, it is just the CWP books.  My other kids may use saxon or horizons, etc for a spine, but I can use this as a supplement.  Furthermore, each kid can doodle on their own book, and I wouldn't have to fret.  There's also the possibility that my next child may hate it, but at least I'll have a book to go by, and I can also teach it on a dry erase board or something.  Buying a book for each child also helps me keep track of where one is at. 

I could put a page protector over each page and have them use a dry erase marker over it, but I have noticed that my oldest two writes better using pencils constantly instead of just for handwriting lessons.  I don't know if it's the markers or what.  Every family is different.

So, I did with just the CWP, but not with every single book/level SM has to offer.  I think they may be remaking it to fit with common core.  Not sure.  But I do know that there have been a lot of complaints about common core, and there is a reason why SM is so good.   Who knows.  The newer edition may be better, but I wasn't going to take my chances. 

At least I got free shipping. ;) 

• Like 1

I do NOT (automatically)  consider it crazy if you could....

1) Feasibly store the books for the next several years--storage unit? Bookshelf? Safety deposit box?

2) Could financially afford to invest in ALL the books for ALL of your kids knowing that some part of that investment might be lost.

If you really like the Primary Mathematics curriculum the cheaper but equally valuable investment could be to buy one complete set of the HIGs 1A-6B and study them in your spare time so that you are able to internalize the method and how it is taught. If you invest the time to scan the curriculum as you buy it for your oldest, then you could easily store it digitally and be able to reuse it that way and IF you don't use it for younger kids, just delete the files.

• Like 2

I'm not sure how many kids you have but couldn't you buy a complete package at each grade level but not use all the books on one child?

Lets say a complete grade has...

HIG for you--non consumable

Textbook for student--don't allow them to write in/on it.

Workbook for student--to be used by Child B to practice TB lessons,

Extra Practice wkbk --to be used by Child C to practice TB lessons a year later.

You could re-use IP, Process Skills and CWP if you don't let the kids write in them.

This way you might only need to buy an additional Workbooks + Extra Practice books and let kids D and E use them.

I bought all of Primary Mathematics for my three younger children a few years ago. I just bought the workbooks as I already have the textbook. I don't buy the extras. I have the space to store it and the funds to do something else if needed, so it has been a win-win. I don't typically buy ahead, but I puffy heart love SM, and have been at this homeschooling gig for many years so I have a good sense of what works for me as a teacher.

• Like 3

I would. I would even having had the experience of going through SM with one kid and two years of SM with a second and switching to BA for the second kid.

I would buy the text (are reused anyway) and the HIGs and a copy of each practice book(A&B) for each kid. I would buy ONE copy of the CWP etc if you use those. Those can be copied and reused. And you can use them with other programs.

I would also accept that I might not use them and it might be a waste. You are taking a chance either way

• Like 2

It's a tough call isn't it. 

We like what we like and want it to work for everyone don't we. :)

I am one of the crazy ones who do have all the levels I need, and now just need 2 workbooks to complete the set if I want to. BUT, I got them at an amazing steal (about half price on all) so it was an easier gamble.

I plan to cut the bindings off the workbooks going forward, bind them for each child so they have their own. We have never written in the textbooks so no issue there.

We supplement with Beast as well, and if it's a better fit for one of them down the road I won't feel any guilt about it.

Had I paid full price it would be harder.

Just do what feels best to you.

In the end I'm not convinced CC will be all that different from Standards also. I just am not sure what it is and I wasn't willing to take that chance and I really like the HIG's --  but I tend to get controlling over my curriculum :)

HTH.

Do what you think is best and don't beat yourself up for it later.

I agree that CC is probably not all that different from Standards. However, there is currently is no HIG and no answer key.

That said, a couple of years ago I started purchasing workbooks for all three kids as I was purchasing for my oldest, so I have all the workbooks for all levels. Part of this was fear of the unknown - CC may be perfectly fine, but I know Standards and it works for me. Part of this was the thought of having to start over buying new textbooks and new HIGs.

If you have the resources to do it and aren't going to be too upset if you end up not using them all, go for it. Or you could just purchase workbooks for the levels you already have so that you don't have to buy new HIGs and TBs. If not, I wouldn't stress too much about it. I am sure CC will be fine and if it isn't there is still the US edition.

Sounds like they have dropped the algebra content for the level 5 books in CC which is a bummer and there is little or no review in CC series. No HIG I guess.

The path to algebra has always been easier with Singapore because of the early content. Now that is one of the things to change. ?

So disappointing.

I've grown tired of watching people chase all over for curriculum they want but can't get (and panic because we want what's best for our kids), especially in a case like this - hey take our new and improved less strenuous less impressive math program, politically motivated change.

Why can't we get together and just share what we have with each other then. !!!!!!!!! )(*&^&%$%#!@#!

I'm naughty that way ladies.

No that's not what I'm saying.

I will have a copy of everything without writing in it. . .  is all I'm saying  . . .

• Like 2

While we are kvetching about the good old days, I remember when the workbooks were @ $6. I bought them all at the $7.80 pricepoint. Now they are $12.50. I figured the jack up in printing and shipping costs would not be matched by a similar increase in dh's salary.

I really wish one could purchase them as e-books.

LOL, heck yes. I wish there had been a collaborative effort among the home school community to digitally preserve Singapores 7-10 programs as a, uhm...safeguard against silly politically motivated changes or in this case cancellations of an otherwise great integrated math series. I can't seem to find a complete set of Singaporean Upper Math books for 7-10 anywhere online.

So disappointing.

I've grown tired of watching people chase all over for curriculum they want but can't get (and panic because we want what's best for our kids), especially in a case like this - hey take our new and improved less strenuous less impressive math program, politically motivated change.

Why can't we get together and just share what we have with each other then. !!!!!!!!! )(*&^&%$%#!@#!

I'm naughty that way ladies.

No that's not what I'm saying.

I will have a copy of everything without writing in it. . .  is all I'm saying  . . .

• Like 2

Not crazy.  Or maybe crazy but I just did the same thing when the CWP scare happened.  I love the HIGs, I want the algebra readiness, I have no interest in CC alignment.  I only have two DS though, so bought level 4 and 5 for DS1, and then went back and bought all the 1-3 workbooks for DS2.  If SM doesn't work for DS2, at least I have complete sets to sell.  If I get both kids thru SM and can't resell "old"Standards editions of HIG and text, I'm fine with that.  Or if by some crazy 1 in a million occurrence we were ever to school additional children, I think you could pretty easily teach the bulk of the SM methods and program with the texts and HIGs and use a different edition workbook or make your own problems, etc.  To me, the HIGs make the program, they're the gold.  My interest level in switching to an edition without them is absolutely zero.

• Like 1

My plan is to have the complete set of HIGs/TB/CWP (which I've collected already, just because, even though my oldest is just finishing 4B....) and buy the workbooks depending on how many of the real-live actual children in this house use them.

If at some point the standards workbooks aren't printed anymore, I'll plan to teach from the textbooks and line up whatever edition workbook is currently being served up with the textbook I already have and know well. There might be some spots that don't ever correspond that way, but I'm finer (I know that's not a word) with that than with any other of the potential scenarios I imagined.

• Like 1

I got a very good deal on HIG/textbooks and even a couple test books and EP up through 3b. So for me, it wouldn't be too bad to finish up the rest buying used and then getting fresh workbooks for my next one in K before they are discontinued. For my youngest two (age 2 and in the oven), if it was working for them, I'm thinking of just getting the EP/IP/process skills books later. I'm finding there is plenty of practice for my oldest in just the HIG/TB actually.

Jenny posted this on the Singapore Forum yesterday:

"We do not have plans to discontinue any editions for the next 2-3 years. If we do, we will announce it plenty ahead of time. We hope to have HIGs for all editions by then."

There has been a bit of conflicting information. When originally asked if the plan was to discontinue within the year she agreed that was the plan. She later removed that post and responded with what I quoted above. There is another thread similar to this one in which the poster received an email stating the plan was to discontinue within the year, but later received a corrected email in line with what is quoted above.

I just purchased one complete set of the workbooks. My third child that will be using Singapore has already started the series and I wanted to make sure we won't have to switch to something else midway.

I find Singapore to be very adaptable, so I'm not concerned about it not working for subsequent children. It's arithmetic, so I can always slow down, find extra practice for them, add more review if needed.

Complete sets for two more children is prohibitively expensive all at once, though. If we get some warning that they will be discontinued, then I probably will spring for another set. If worst comes to worst and it turns out they are gone in a flash, I could always recreate the problem sets for them from the copies we have already used.

I don't know about anyone else, but we always reuse the textbooks, because we never write in them.

Here's what I'm thinking.  Math scares me.  This is the first program I felt really comfortable teaching (just following the HIG) and my two DD's are doing great with it.  I haven't started anything formal with the third one yet, but he seems very similar to the older two.  Obviously I don't know about the baby yet.  I plan on reusing the textbooks, so I would just be buying lots of workbooks.  It seems they (Singapore) aren't exactly set in stone on plan and the thought of having to find something new, that works, is basically sending me into a panic.

My other thought is to buy everything I'll need for my two DD's who have already started the program and then figure out something else for DS4.

• Like 1

I would do it, but I was pretty sold on Singapore from day 1.  It just clicked with me and my dds.  I'm now sad that Discovering Mathematics 4 is no longer available. :glare:   Should have bought it this past year.

The HIGs are pricey, though -- those would be what you definitely need to buy, in addition to the texts/wbks.  If you can afford it, go for it.  It is an excellent program, and if you feel comfortable teaching with Singapore's methods, that is half the battle.

eta:  Full disclosure:  I am one of those crazy people who bought copies of all the levels of CWP when my dds were in 1st and 2nd grades, and CWP was going out of print.  Never regretted that purchase.

I did but I only have 2 children and Singapore is an even better fot for the way my son learns math than the way my daughter learns math. But, I use only the TB and WB, they write in the WB and we to a few things from the TB orally. So, I just bought a few workbooks a few years in advance. The HIGs were the most expensive part and I wanted to make sure I had the matching WB, I like the Standards HIGs much better than the US HIGs.