Menu

Make-up, well foundation, over 40

momofkhm

I had finally found a foundation I liked - BareMinerals powder foundation.  I used it for years.  But then sometime around 43 it started to show off my fine lines.  I've bounced around a couple BB creams and 2 or 3 Cover Girl "age defying" types and have yet to find one that I like the color, coverage and feel of it.  I thought about going back to BareMinerals now that they have liquid options, but I had two different ladies match me to 2 different colors!

*I have lines, but not really wrinkles on my face. yet.

*My dad had skin cancer so I use something with sunscreen in it.  In the summer I've had to stop using moisturizer due to feeling gross about midway through the day.  So while I do use sunscreen in my moisturizer, only for 1/2 the year.

*I'm willing to get spendy but not ridiculously so.  (BareMinerals is about $30.  I don't want to go too much higher.)

Thanks!

• Like 1

I have dry skin. The Bobbi Brown Tinted Moisturizing Balm stays well on my skin all day in the airconditioned office. It provides light coverage. Although it costs almost twice as much as your current foundation, it is a big jar and will last a long time. Makeup artist Lisa Eldridge recommends it for mature skin. It has SPF 25, and I am sure that helps, but I recommend using a broad spectrum sunscreen with at least SPF 30 underneath it.

• Like 1

I like Lisa Eldridge's recs. Also love her videos. Paula's Choice is also a great site to check out. Tons of reviews and recommendations. She also has hands down the best sunscreen especially for the face. I wear her sunscreen daily. She has many options to choose from. I love her tinted moisturizer.

• Like 3

I prefer tinted moisturizer (esp. in the winter) and BB cream...  They're both a lightweight cover rather than heavy creams.   I'll usually top it with some powder because I don't like the "glow" look.   They also have CC cream, but I haven't tried it yet.

I also like using Paula's Choice reviews... I think it's called Cosmetic Cop.

I had the same problem. I switched to Tarte's Amazonian clay foundation. Their products are mineral based and have little no chemicals. They have full coverage to tinted moisturizer. If you do want to try Tarte, look for a coupon code. Ulta carries some of the foundation colors in-store but not the full line.

http://tartecosmetics.com/tarte-shop-foundation

I use the tinted moisturizer and I love it.

I use Paula's Choice "All Bases Covered," but very lightly on most of my face.  Just a little heavier where I'm uneven.  She also has a "Barely There" foundation that I tried, but I need a little more coverage in some areas.

She has sample packs so you can try several colors.  I've also found that using a good moisturizer at night helps a lot with how the makeup works in the morning.  I use Cerave, and put it on pretty heavy.

• Like 2

I had finally found a foundation I liked - BareMinerals powder foundation.  I used it for years.  But then sometime around 43 it started to show off my fine lines.  I've bounced around a couple BB creams and 2 or 3 Cover Girl "age defying" types and have yet to find one that I like the color, coverage and feel of it.  I thought about going back to BareMinerals now that they have liquid options, but I had two different ladies match me to 2 different colors!

*My dad had skin cancer so I use something with sunscreen in it.  In the summer I've had to stop using moisturizer due to feeling gross about midway through the day.  So while I do use sunscreen in my moisturizer, only for 1/2 the year.

*I'm willing to get spendy but not ridiculously so.  (BareMinerals is about $30.  I don't want to go too much higher.)

Thanks!

Do you use *only* the Bare Minerals foundation? Or also the Mineral Veil and blusher and whatnot? The whole Bare Minerals routine works well for my old wrinkly skin. :-)

I had finally found a foundation I liked - BareMinerals powder foundation. I used it for years. But then sometime around 43 it started to show off my fine lines. I've bounced around a couple BB creams and 2 or 3 Cover Girl "age defying" types and have yet to find one that I like the color, coverage and feel of it. I thought about going back to BareMinerals now that they have liquid options, but I had two different ladies match me to 2 different colors!

*My dad had skin cancer so I use something with sunscreen in it. In the summer I've had to stop using moisturizer due to feeling gross about midway through the day. So while I do use sunscreen in my moisturizer, only for 1/2 the year.

*I'm willing to get spendy but not ridiculously so. (BareMinerals is about $30. I don't want to go too much higher.)

Thanks!

I am in the same boat. I have used bare minerals for years now over 40 it's just not the same. I discovered IT celebration foundation from IT cosmetics. I love it. I bought it through qvc, but I believe it can be bought at ulta.

If you're concerned about skin cancer, a little SPF in your foundation isn't going to cut it anyway. You need a dedicated SPF, and you need to reapply every few hours.

I second the suggestion to check out Lisa Eldridge's recs for foundations; she has videos specifically for 40+ skins.

I like Estee Lauder Double Wear for winter.It is a full coverage foundation though.  I am 49. I only have wrinkles around my eyes but I have sun spots and it does a great job of helping my face look great without looking like I have a mask on. I will be looking for something more lightweight for summer. 

I use Paula's Choice "All Bases Covered," but very lightly on most of my face.  Just a little heavier where I'm uneven.  She also has a "Barely There" foundation that I tried, but I need a little more coverage in some areas.

She has sample packs so you can try several colors.  I've also found that using a good moisturizer at night helps a lot with how the makeup works in the morning.  I use Cerave, and put it on pretty heavy.

I use this as well, however I also use the Barely There combined with cheap old Rimmel's "Stay Matte" mousse foundation--just a tiny dab!--to get the coverage I like.  Sometimes I do a dusting of mineral powder on top to finish.

My skin has gotten much more dry over the years and I gave up the powdered mineral makeup. Even with moisturizer underneath, it still looked 'powdery'.  I rarely wear foundation but tinted moisturizer/BB Cream is great if you want something to even out skin tone.