Menu

Ignore this thread!

Just now, Jean in Newcastle said:

Squats, burpees etc. are excellent exercises AS LONG AS you don't let your knee go farther forward than your toes.  That's when you get knee injuries.

Being able to stand on one foot is very important as we age.  I am actively working on my balance.

I like Tai Chi for that.  I really have to get back to it.

I can't believe I was a full page behind when I came on today.   That hasn't happened in a while.   Last week was supposedly my week "off" so why was I so darn busy?

Back to classes on Monday.  This session I'm running at least two more classes than last session, maybe three.  4-H meeting on Tuesday and I'm still not positive what we are going to do.   I have to set up a bunch of computers since I'm teaching an Excel class, I have to switch my stuff to a new computer (bought a computer for a writing tablet the kids got for Christmas, kids aren't using the tablet that much <I didn't think they would, it was dh's idea> and since I need another computer for my class and the tablet's computer is better than my computer, I'm switching).   Also have to rearrange things so the desktop computers I have in the classroom can see my teaching screen. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Dd just got a shirt that says "Seek discomfort" - ie. get out of your comfort zone.  That is my goal again this year. 

I am very much seeking comfort right now!

Physical comfort, financial comfort, educational comfort. I want lots of cushioning in all the places (except where there is already cushioning).

• Like 3

Obviously I'm kinda sorta looking into next school year. Well, I printed off a calendar from September to August and I think this is the first time ever that there's not some gigantic thing in the middle of it. This year we're moving to Texas, the year before that we were planning to move to Indiana (I'm so glad that's not happening), the year before that I had postpartum depression and didn't really plan a school year out (that went well), the year before that I had a baby. We don't have anything to do next school year. We have Christmas and camping and if finances are there a short trip to New Orleans. It's such a relief!

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Junie said:

I feel spoiled.

Dh went grocery shopping to get ingredients for him to make dinner tonight.

And while he was there he bought me sushi.

And chocolate.

🙂

Geez. Mine just goes fishing. 😕 lol 

I really want some sushi now! 

(I'm going to whip up some red curry chicken as soon as the meat thaws.)

• Like 3

I want chocolate.  Lots and lots of chocolate.  Dh had to go into work for a little while today and is planning to go to the store on his way home.  I hope he thinks to pick up chocolate.

I did dishes and some laundry and I'm theoretically on my computer to load files onto an external hard drive so I can switch them to the new computer.   Instead I'm here.  I think I want to get to the point where I'm organized (and caught up) enough that on the weekend I can do household stuff one day and science center stuff one day.  I think I may get more accomplished than a scramble back and forth.  But maybe not.  Right now I do stuff that requires being out and about or up and around during the day time and stuff that is done on my computer (sitting with it on my lap half watching tv with dh) in the evenings.   That sort of works.  Unless I have too much on my computer stuff and start that during the day because then I fail to get up and do the up and around stuff.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Squats, burpees etc. are excellent exercises AS LONG AS you don't let your knee go farther forward than your toes.  That's when you get knee injuries.

This particular orthopedic surgeon says no.  Just don't do them (or lunges) in any form, eapecially if you are over the age of 40.  Find other ways to strengthen your muscles for the long-term health of your knees.  She says it's like when people ask her if they should eat white sugar.  Well no.  White sugar isn't good for you ever.  You'll probably survive for a good while if you eat some, but it's not helping you any.  

Poopy surgeon. I’m stiil gonna think about doing burpees eventually. Maybe even a squat. I mean really.  Where's the joy in life if you can't ever do a burpee?  😂

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 2

Ok. More dinning room table conversation. Our set looks like this with vinyl on the backs. The plan is to paint everything distressed white and put blue covers over the seats but I don't like seat covers. Can I paint all of the wood except for the top distressed white or sky blue, leave the vinyl black and expected to look good? Have you dyed vinyl? I like the idea of white or blue wood with warm brown vinyl but I'm uncomfortable with the commitment.

Just now, Susan in TN said:

Dh is thinking we should get a treadmill.  It's something he would use also, but I hate how big they are.  I'm pretty sure they would take up about half of any room in the house.  And they're too big to push under the bed when not in use.  Any of you ever used a Very Small Treadmill?

Yes. Don't do it. Get a big one. I'm sorry.

• Sad 1

I'm headed towards double knee replacements.  I've also gotten the advice of no burpees and no squats. Any type of deep lunge/bend like that puts a ton of pressure on the meniscus cartilage. Since we have to use those joints in that way during the day as part of living, the advice is partially to reduce wear and tear there. 

Have you been given a knee conditioning program? I highly recommend the exercises for them, and most can be done at home with a theraband.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Slache said:

Yes. Don't do it. Get a big one. I'm sorry.

What about something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/NordicTrack-NTL17915-6-5-Treadmill/dp/B0193V3DJ6/ref=sr_1_3?s=sporting-goods&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;qid=1549142568&amp;sr=1-3&amp;keywords=horizon+fitness+t101+treadmill

It seems sturdy, looooong warranty.  No fan.  Not sure what that means.  Can you stick portable a fan next to it?  Not super compact, but we might be able to find a space for it.  It uses hydraulics for folding and has wheels for moving, so might be a bit moveable.

4 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I'm headed towards double knee replacements.  I've also gotten the advice of no burpees and no squats. Any type of deep lunge/bend like that puts a ton of pressure on the meniscus cartilage. Since we have to use those joints in that way during the day as part of living, the advice is partially to reduce wear and tear there. 

Have you been given a knee conditioning program? I highly recommend the exercises for them, and most can be done at home with a theraband.

I have been gradually doing exercises rehabilitation after meniscus tear.  It sounds like one problem with that kind of injury is that there is no blood flow to most of the meniscus, so without surgery (which is generally only recommended if you are just not functional after 4 months, or the tear flips into the joint and prevents your leg from bending or straightening), the "best you can hope for" is keeping the inflamation down and strenthening/stretching and avoiding further stress and injury. Bah.  

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

What about something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/NordicTrack-NTL17915-6-5-Treadmill/dp/B0193V3DJ6/ref=sr_1_3?s=sporting-goods&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;qid=1549142568&amp;sr=1-3&amp;keywords=horizon+fitness+t101+treadmill

It seems sturdy, looooong warranty.  No fan.  Not sure what that means.  Can you stick portable a fan next to it?  Not super compact, but we might be able to find a space for it.  It uses hydraulics for folding and has wheels for moving, so might be a bit moveable.

I have no opinion on treadmill types or brands, but the size is fine. The small ones that I've used are very uncomfortable and encourage you to move the wrong way.

1 minute ago, Susan in TN said:

Alexa knows.

:ohmy:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, whitehawk said:

Edpo: weigh in on middle school math if you are so called?

Also if you use a homeschool tracking software, which one? </edpo>

I am fighting a headache. I can't coffee without milk and I hate all the substitutes. But yay for a sunny day!

Answered your thread.

I subscribe to Homeschool Tracker. Eventually,  I might even use it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Belated happy birthday to Susan!  Lovely Bonsai!

Treadmills - you could always join Planet Fitness for $10/month.  Each treadmill has its own TV.  Youngest has been quite interested since I told her that, lol.

Excel is my transcript generator, lol.  😂

Mary, so nice to see you and read your update.  Glad to hear things are going well for your Dad, your family, and for Riv.  ❤️

Dh and I are tag teaming the kitchen which is so nice!  He watches TV for a bit, then works on the commercials.  When he takes a break, I go in and work on something he left behind.  And so on.  What a nice way to get things done!  

Edited by Another Lynn
Ack! it's s/b its!!
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

Y'all! Sit down! True story. I went to the Spider-Man movie really thinking I would take a nap. I don't like Marvel I Don't Like Comics I don't like those things. This movie kept us all engaged and we laughed and it was really really good. I did not take a nap.

4 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Hi. I drove 3 hours. Had a nice camp meeting. I really like this group of people. Now I am halfway home. I stopped off at the gluten free farm to table restaurant. It is not raining today and I have not had to white knuckle it on my drive. 

Yay for Spiderman!  Yay for Jean and camp people!  

ETA:  It's a cheer for each other BOOYAH!

Edited by Another Lynn
  • Like 3

Small miracle may be happening.  Will need advice.  

So dh's two brothers have just today started communicate about the need for their parents to move.  Oldest brother is still planning for them to move in with them.  MIL is willing to talk plans now, though FIL will be a struggle to convince to leave sooner than later, due to grandson living with them and his pastoring the church which he doesn't want to leave.  Their grandson (26yo?) has to repeat a year of nursing school, so will not graduate until May of 2020.  However, the three brothers don't think it is wise or safe for their parents to stay another winter.  And they simply can't afford it.  The parents know this.

My suggestion is to talk with them and see if they would be willing to move this summer, and in the mean time, help the grandson find another living situation for a year until he graduates.  They can ask people in the church, people in town (They've lived there for a long time), friends from the CC who might need a roommate in a cheap apartment?  Any other suggestions?  I think the grandson is the biggest hurdle to getting them to leave.

• Like 4

On 2/1/2019 at 9:24 PM, Susan in TN said:

So tomorrow is Candlemas Day.  This is a holiday that is new to me, and I only learned about it because of a Christmas song the kids sang in their children's choir concert (All in the Morning).  Apparently it is a celebration of the day Jesus was brought to the temple on the 40th day of his birth.  Traditionally, people would bring their candles to the church to be blessed and then used as a reminder through the year that Jesus is the Light of the world.  :smile:

Weather predictions were made ala Groundhog Day.

If Candlemas Day be fair and bright
Winter will have another fight.
If Candlemas Day brings cloud and rain,
Winter won't come again.

If Candlemas Day be dry and fair,
The half o the winter's to come and mair;
If Candlemas Day be wet and foul,
The half o the winter's gane at Yule.

Farmer's Proverbs

'A farmer should, on Candlemas Day,
Have half his corn and half his hay.'

'On Candlemas Day if the thorns hang adrop,
You can be sure of a good pea crop.' 

German Proverb. 

The badger peeps out of his hole on Candlemas Day,
and, if he finds snow, walks abroad; but if he sees the sun shining he draws back into his hole."

(From projectbritain.com "Candlemas Day")

This was very interesting.  As a Proud Pennsylvanian I had long wondered where the Groundhog Day tradition had come from.

• Like 2

So last year I joined a local-ish (it's the entire state but we're not THAT big) group that was outdoor activities for homeschoolers.   It's a Facebook group.  The person who started it tried a while back  (maybe over the summer?) to start charging people to be members since she was doing all the work and there was drama, most of which I missed and only saw a few references to after the fact.   Around the holidays she started talking about kicking out anyone who didn't participate.  She had a bunch of options for staying active - posting about favorite hikes, hosting a hike, participating in hikes, sharing camping tips, etc.   Didn't seem a big deal so whatever, I'm pretty chatty on Facebook and we've hiked and camped enough I could easily share stories.  Then in January she posted slightly different rules to start February 1st - to stay you must participate in one activity a month and host once every 3 months.  It's part of the reason why I did the bird activity last week (I also just like doing different activities to bring people in to the science center).    Okay, a little more detailed in the requirements and I could probably host something once a month to take care of my participation stuff.  Most things are during the day while I'm teaching so I can't do a lot of things that other people schedule but I could host an early hike or a later afternoon hike.  There's a really nice county park to hike in between my house and the science center (and they are less than 5 miles apart) so it could be doable if I tried.  Plus I have a week off every 8 weeks (snow make-ups but they shouldn't be more than once or twice that week), plus I take off the full week when there's any holidays).  But now she also added that everyone hosting has to take attendance.  I had been kind of wondering how she planned to keep track of who was participating past rsvps on facebook.   For some reason, the attendance requirement is what's making me think it's too much.  And I'm not even particularly sure why that crosses the line for me.   But that is really pushing me into the realm of just not worth it.  Not sure what I'm going to do.  She kicked out a bunch of people that complained.

I actually co-admin a different more local Facebook homeschool group and I think she's making way too much work for herself but that's her right as it's her group.  She's mentioned safety (we ask questions that have to be answered and check profiles before letting people in ours) and wanting it to be a close friendly co-op type group (which you're not going to get covering the whole state, people will stay in their regions).   

I'm not even sure why I'm posting about this except it's kind of bugging me.  I think I'm going to end up leaving the group but I'm trying to make sure of my reasons/feelings about it before I do.

• Like 2

I stayed up until 3am last night reading and was out of bed by 9:30am.  Not sure what I was thinking.   I really should be heading to bed now.  Lots to do tomorrow.

I did switch computers today but now my files are all messed up and I may need to sit with the two computers side-by-side fixing things.  I didn't delete off the old computer yet because I wanted to make sure nothing got messed up.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Toto, that does sound more high maintenance than it's worth.  I feel for the administrator a bit - I'm sure it's a lot of work and headache to deal with.  But.  I would probably just stick with the more local group, unless there is a big benefit for your classes to remain in the statewide group.

• Like 3

You're both right.  Too high maintenance and no fun anymore.  I'm not sure why I'm even hesitating to just quit.  There really is no benefit to my classes (no advertising in the group), I joined because I do like to hike in nice weather and it's nice to go with a group.   But I think I'd rather just post the occasional hike in the more local group.  

• Like 6