Menu

Ignore this thread!

Good morning!

It seems that it was providential that I turned to sleep on my right side at 2am and my excrutiating knee pain woke up dh, who then, after getting me some ibuprofin, checked his email and saw that something went very wrong with a thing at work and was able to spend the next three hours getting it fixed so the client is now happy.  Three cheers for knee pain!  Fortunately, I have little-to-no pain when I walk.

I have a volunteer thing at church this morning and an Old Lady Party this afternoon.  Dd10 has a recipe for rice cooker mac & cheese that we're going to try making in the IP for lunch, and dinner is turkey pot pie.

Dd16 has her interview for the student cultural exchange program on Sunday.

Coffee!

• Like 3

In other news, Jo's appointment went well. She is cleared to return to Sunday School. (Which is a very good thing, because, within nanoseconds of Jo's last email to the Sunday School director explaining that Jo HOPED to be cleared to return at the 6-week appointment, the director had Jo back on the schedule from this Sunday to the End of Time. 😂)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

Susan, how is your knee?  I don't know what a torn thing-a-ma-bobby is.... what does it require?

There's not much pain unless I'm laying down in any position other than my left side.  Then it hurts like the dickens until I get back into the officially approved position.  Requirements are that you take it easy and don't do stuff so it can heal.  Ice for swelling.  Knee brace.  We have several knee braces/ace bandages but they have all been hidden away.  I'm gonna stop at Walgreens and pick something up.  

If the tear is really bad it might require surgery, but I don't think it's that bad.  Dh will make me go to the doctor next week if I keep waking him up at all hours.  😬

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

2 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

Okay, so 35 is backed up already and we haven't even left the house.  Guess I'll get dc moving and tske the back way in to work.

True story.  I grew up within a mile of 35 on the North end (in MN), and my sister now lives within a mile of 35 on the South end (TX).  I had no idea that it went all the way down through Texas!

• Like 3

Good Morning!!!,

COFFEE!!~D

Friday!!!!!

Today is February 1. We made it through January,

DS2 and DD1 are leaving for Winter camp this afternoon, so we’re droppin the little girls off at Grandma’s and going to the coast for the weekend. Of course, it is supposed to rain all weekend, but since we desperately need the rain, we are not complaining. We’ll hit some museums, I guess. Drive around. I haven’t been to Hearst Castle since I was in second grade, so we’re going to do that.

• Like 4

Okay, we are having a Monday. But there will be Friday candy.

Her Fuzzy Majesty sang her Poor Neglected Kitty song very early; DH apparently didn't hear, so I got up and fed her. DS's best friend is sick and can't sleep over tonight (for the 1st time) as they'd planned, and he's disappointed. I got up on time but have accomplished nothing; not having found a decent substitute for milk, I am forgoing coffee.

Time to get us back on track.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

The Aldi chicken bone broth tastes like chicken broth without any salt.  I wouldn't drink it for fun, but we used it in a pasta recipe and it was good.  Probably be yummy with some salt, thyme, and lemon juice.

:svengo: I cleaned out my plastic containers and lids.  Most of the containers were replaced with the set I got at Aldi.  My big 8C containers that I use for soup will go downstairs in the pantry.  I had 3 large rubbermaid lids with no coordinating container, and several others that are so old and worn that they just don't spark a bit of joy anymore.  Plus I never use them.  I also got rid of my misc. round containers.  I now have 1-1/2 sections of empty kitchen cabinet!

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

We went to the farther away from us coffee shop for coffee shop schooling today. And somehow I forgot my purse. Eek!  They saved my order while I went out to my car and when I realized that it wasn't in there I had to borrow DD's card to pay. The barista thanked me for being honest and coming back to pay. They had put the order through before payment and apparently some people just take the food without paying.

**Angi didn’t say this. I have no idea why the WTM Board thinks that she did. 

Edited by Jean in Newcastle

5 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

True story.  I grew up within a mile of 35 on the North end (in MN), and my sister now lives within a mile of 35 on the South end (TX).  I had no idea that it went all the way down through Texas!

One of my bucket list items is to drive I10 from it's beginning in Santa Monica, CA all the way to the end in Jacksonville FL. Coast to coast across the southern US. That would be cool.

• Like 3

It's been so long since I've had adequate storage in an apartment that I don't remember what goes where. What on Earth do you put in a pantry? Or a hall closet? Or a linen closet? Should I buy more than one set of sheets? Or towels?

I could give up minimalism. :mellow:

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Slache said:

We want a new (lighter) dinning room table but don't have $600 to throw away. I think we're going to paint the legs a distressed white and get blue chair covers. Has anyone done this?

Refinishing a dining table isn't bad if you're starting with a wooden table to begin with. If your table has a plasticized top, the paint won't adhere well, even if you lightly sand.  You'll want a glossy oil paint if you have any hope of wiping down the table after painting it. Don't forget to polycrylic the top. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slache said:

What on Earth do you put in a pantry?
Jars of nuts/PB, unopened condiments, rice/quinoa, canned tomato sauce... Also we have a "help yourself shelf" (which has gotten higher as DS has gotten taller) with snacks, little bowls and, until he could reach the cabinet where we keep the rest of them, small drinking glasses for him.

Or a hall closet?
Coats, should you be foolish enough to live the sort of place that requires that (I do). If not, you got your kids their own fort, wow!

Or a linen closet?
TP (cheaper by the case), one each of unopened toothpaste/deodorant/whatever. We do have some extra linens, but if you don't, that's where to put next year's homeschool books, no?

Or you could enjoy some breathing room.

• Like 2

Our coat closet holds coats.

Our (tiny) kitchen pantry armoire holds food.

Our bedroom closets hold clothes and bed linens.

Our bathroom cabinets hold bathroom things.

I don't understand the cross-storage of closet space.  If we had to downsize again, we would just own less stuff.  I need visual breathing room and overstuffed closets do me in.

I suspect, Slache, that when you settle in you'll find that what you have already will naturally fill the space. There seems to be some scientific law that applies when moving. 

• Like 1

I bought a new wreath for my front door.  It's the sister to the one I had up for three years. It's a February miracle!  

When we lived in the Midwest, I bought a new wreath for our front door when we were ready to put our house on the market. It was a huge splurge for me at the time---$40---but it was so completely beautiful with blue hydrangeas and little white and yellow flowers.  A swallow nested in the wreath while our house was on the market. It was a huge deal--one time the bird even flew in our house during a showing!  Our house sold, and when we moved to Texas, I put the wreath on the door. There, a lizard moved in to the cool shade.  We came to the PNW a year ago, and the wreath began to be sad....flowers fell, it became faded, and I had to thank the wreath and send it on to the great beyond.

I've been looking for a replacement wreath for quite some time and I had had no luck. It was cheery enough, or full enough, or big enough.  The wreaths were the wrong colors or just not my style.

Today, I stopped into Home Goods and the first thing I saw was the sister to my old wreath---done in pink, but not blue.  The pink flowers are actually perfect for my new house color.  It was just a nice little nod of kindness from Heaven during a really stressful week.

• Like 3

Pantry has canned goods and boxed goods and jarred goods. I have stuff in there from Costco.   I also have some appliances that are used less often (like my waffle iron) on the top shelf. 

Linen closet has sheet sets (two per bed) and towels and light blankets. It also has cleaning supplies. And medical supplies. And a bunch of junk that needs to be decluttered. 

Coat closet has coats. And hats and gloves. And dog food. And plastic bags. 

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
Typo
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

What's that?

Cross-storage---putting food in a clothes closet or under beds, etc.  

More specifically, it seems like a whole lotta people hold onto things that they don't utilize enough to justify the space that it takes up.  Rather than acknowledging that their lives have changed (ie, they no longer watch VHS tapes), they just hold onto it. 

ETA: I'm thinking of a friend who held onto all of her baby things even though she was in her mid-40s, had been divorced for over 10 years, was not currently seeing anyone, and earned more than enough money to easily buy whatever she needed all in one afternoon if need be.  It was all crammed into every spare nook and cranny and her house.  It was a lot of reminders of sad times and lost opportunities, I think---and a hope for the future.....but it also caused a lot of frustration to be climbing over stuff that wasn't being used when she really needed the space for her current life.

Edited by prairiewindmomma
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Slache said:

It's been so long since I've had adequate storage in an apartment that I don't remember what goes where. What on Earth do you put in a pantry? Or a hall closet? Or a linen closet? Should I buy more than one set of sheets? Or towels?

Pantry -- food, lots of food

Hall closet -- coats, gloves, hats, mittens, reusable grocery bags, sidewalk chalk, bubbles

Linen closet #1 (in the hallway) -- games, puzzles

Linen closet #2 (in the master bathroom) -- towels, washcloths, sheets, shoes

• Like 1

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Refinishing a dining table isn't bad if you're starting with a wooden table to begin with. If your table has a plasticized top, the paint won't adhere well, even if you lightly sand.  You'll want a glossy oil paint if you have any hope of wiping down the table after painting it. Don't forget to polycrylic the top. 

The whole thing is dark wood. I plan to paint only the legs of the table so it's contrasted distressed white with dark wood. I'm going to paint the chairs with the distressed white and put dark blue covers on them. We need a new couch and bookshelf and we kind of wanted to jump into a beach theme but our dining room table is dark with black vinyl.

1 hour ago, whitehawk said:

Lol! I have 3 children. I don't breath.

9 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

The ITT has gotten me reading again.

https://www.amazon.com/Only-Dead-Inside-Surviving-Apocalypse-ebook/dp/B01MUGWVIG

(You didn't really expect me to immediately jump into a Lincoln biography, did you?)

We read a Lincoln biography at lunch today! It was much shorter than your book though.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Our coat closet is in the basement near the garage entrance, which we rarely use.  So our coat closet holds mostly sleeping bags (hung up).  Coats either go in bedrooms or on hooks going up to the bonus room. We don't have any linen closets.  

The basement 5x12 "pantry" (was a hot-tub room when we bought the house) has an upright freezer, a cabinet with homeschool curriculum, a bookshelf with homeschool books & office/school supplies & toiletries, and a wall of floor-to-ceiling shelves that hold food, canning jars/equipment, wrapping paper, bins of camping/backpacking stuff, bins of party/toothfairy supplies, boxes of old photos, and a bunch of other stuff.  

• Like 2

We have a ton of storage space and just space in general that is very poorly utilized in our house.  I tend to spend a lot of time organizing storage space, but have a really hard time getting the rest of the family (ahem, dh mostly) to not continually stuff those spaces with things that don't belong there.  Even when those things actually have a place to live.  It would be helpful if we moved every 2 years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slache said:

I've had 2 closets and half a kichen for 2 years. I'm storage disabled. Feel sorry for me.

Me too.  2 closets in our entire house, one in each official bedroom.  One had my hang-up clothes, sleeping bags and camping mats on the bottom, my shoes on the top shelf and a gift wrap holder hanging.  Other had dh's hang-up clothes.

15 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

The ITT has gotten me reading again.

https://www.amazon.com/Only-Dead-Inside-Surviving-Apocalypse-ebook/dp/B01MUGWVIG

(You didn't really expect me to immediately jump into a Lincoln biography, did you?)

I had to look just based on what the link said.  It looks really cool.  I have the Max Brooks survival guide and I teach a Surviving the Zombie Apocalypse class. 

• Like 2

My storage plan:

Outdoor storage: Camping, Christmas, memories (currently in our giant closet).

Cost closet: All coats, all shoes, winter gear, vacuum (currently in bedroom closets).

Pantry: Dog food, bowl, kitchen appliances (we bought cabinets for this because stupid kitchen).

Hall closet: Kids clothes, memory boxes, board games, DVDs (currently in kids closet).

Linen closet: Unopened Costco purchases.

Laundry "room" : Cleaning supplies.

Our totally awesome bookshelf is going in the kids room for toy/book storage.

It is very difficult to keep our house picked up and I think that this is going to be a very good change, particularly for the kids.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

We have a ton of storage space and just space in general that is very poorly utilized in our house.  I tend to spend a lot of time organizing storage space, but have a really hard time getting the rest of the family (ahem, dh mostly) to not continually stuff those spaces with things that don't belong there.  Even when those things actually have a place to live.  It would be helpful if we moved every 2 years.

You have no idea! I don't want to buy a house. I want to keep moving. I don't even have to deep clean because I clean right before I move into a place!

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Slache said:

My storage plan:

Outdoor storage: Camping, Christmas, memories (currently in our giant closet).

Cost closet: All coats, all shoes, winter gear, vacuum (currently in bedroom closets).

Pantry: Dog food, bowl, kitchen appliances (we bought cabinets for this because stupid kitchen).

Hall closet: Kids clothes, memory boxes, board games, DVDs (currently in kids closet).

Linen closet: Unopened Costco purchases.

Laundry "room" : Cleaning supplies.

Our totally awesome bookshelf is going in the kids room for toy/book storage.

It is very difficult to keep our house picked up and I think that this is going to be a very good change, particularly for the kids.

I would not store memories outside.  Unless it's a kayak or something.

I don't think that you need to take up valuable space inside with all of the coats and winter gear.  I can't imagine that you will be using them often.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Junie said:

1. I would not store memories outside.  Unless it's a kayak or something.

2. I don't think that you need to take up valuable space inside with all of the coats and winter gear.  I can't imagine that you will be using them often.

1. Good point. I think they will fit in the hall closet.

2. Honey, I live in Oregon. We have 2 coats and one set of gloves per person as well as a scarf the mentally ill neighbor gave to John.

• Like 2