Menu

Is this a ridiculous math sequence?

Okay, DS is in Singapore 5B (standards). I switched him back to SM after 2 years of BA--he'd found it amusing and challenging, but needed quite a bit of hand-holding for it and lost ground in simple computation. (His ITBS scores tanked.)

Now I want him to A) speed up on facts--sometimes in the middle of a problem he's stopping for 10 seconds to recall or, more likely, calculate something he should have memorized (despite some improvement via Times Tales) and B) get to Algebra in 8th. He might do high school at home, or might go to a B&M school.

Visual presentation is very important with this kid. Seeing them in person at a local store, I have eliminated LOF and Saxon (again), and I think we could work with the ones below.

What I'm considering is

• rest of 5th: Finish SM 5B.
  • (summer) fact review (via Kate Snow??)
  • 6th: Math Mammoth 7 color worktexts (their books for 6th looked like approximately the same scope as SM's 5th)
  • 7th: Horizons Pre-Algebra (I do not like the look of their algebra, but the pre-alg looks good.)
  • 8th: Jacobs Elementary Algebra. (It looks good, and now I've just done the Math Curriculum Selector quiz, which also suggested Jacobs or SM products.)

It seems odd to use a different publisher every year, but these really look like good options for us. I don't mind repeating some stuff, as DS appreciates easy lessons. Jacobs looks like it's thorough enough not to worry to much about gaps beforehand, right?

Do you see any glaring issues with this?

One of my kids is never going to have fast fact recall. If you've been at it for awhile, sometimes... you just have to let it go. Brains are weird.

I agree with forty-two that there might be too much overlap with MM7 and Horizons Pre-A. But generally, using a different publisher every year... I mean, so what?

• Like 1

Personally, I loved Math Mammoth. I used the old version, pre-Common Core revision, that just went through 6th grade. It covered all of pre-algebra except for 2 topics, I think. I agree with the others; you probably won't need a year for pre-algebra. We then went to AoPS, so I don't really have any other suggestions since you've ruled that out. Have you looked at Foerster's for Algebra? That was my back-up, I have the text, and it's rock solid.

The only issue that you might have with jumping around with publishers would be the possibility of gaps. Honestly, though, with basic math, it's not that hard to fill in any holes that come up.

Edited by JoJosMom
  • Like 2

I agree that that sequence could involve a lot of repetition.

My oldest completed MM through 5, and then spent a few months running through a few MM6 and MM7 topics that I didn't feel he had thoroughly covered.  At that point he was fully prepared to jump right to AOPS Pre-Algebra.

If you really want to wait until 8th for algebra, you could consider using Mathematics: a Human Endeavor for a year in there.

Wendy

• Like 2

The only one I have experience with is Horizons Pre-Algebra which I did about half of with my oldest a number of years ago.  We did not like it.  Compared with other spiraling curricula (CLE or Saxon), it sometimes waited too long to review a concept.  Also, I felt like it often gave too many of the same time of problem (exact same) when we would have benefitted from reviewing a wider variety of problems.  Not sure I'm explaining well.  Anyway, since others are advising that MM7 is sufficient for pre-algebra, I vote on skipping Horizons pre-algebra.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, forty-two said:

Only potential issue I see is that I think MM7 qualifies as Pre-Algebra, so there might be too much repetition between it and Horizon Pre-A.  But that could potentially be a good thing.

This was my exact first impression😁...Great minds think alike...but in reality I love so many people's thoughts which often contradict my actual views..😂.

My husband and I are complete opposites in many ways...and it is refreshing to see his view often...same with many of my family😉.

• Like 1

Since the curriculum selector suggested SM products, perhaps you should look at Singapore Dimensions 6 to 8. That would take you straight through algebra without switching curricula without being overly repetitive by doubling up in PA. This would still accomplish finishing Algebra in 8th.

This is my theoretical suggestion since SM seems to be working well for you. Mine was like Monica though I forced him to stop and do JA before AOPS PA after SM5. 

This is the 6A sample. http://www.singaporemath.com/v/vspfiles/assets/images/sp_dmt6a.pdf

This is the 8A sample. http://www.singaporemath.com/v/sf_dmt8a.pdf

Edited by calbear
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, calbear said:

Since the curriculum selector suggested SM products, perhaps you should look at Singapore Dimensions 6 to 8. That would take you straight through algebra without switching curricula without being overly repetitive by doubling up in PA. This would still accomplish finishing Algebra in 8th.

This is my theoretical suggestion since SM seems to be working well for you. Mine was like Monica though I forced him to stop and do JA before AOPS PA after SM5. 

This is the 6A sample. http://www.singaporemath.com/v/vspfiles/assets/images/sp_dmt6a.pdf

This is the 8A sample. http://www.singaporemath.com/v/sf_dmt8a.pdf

Thanks. I don't think these look as good as the series he's in now.

I'm thinking maybe I'll being him to the store with me to see if he wants to do MM6, MM7, Jacobs instead of MM7, Horizons, Jacobs.

Thank you for asking this question; I feel like I'm in the same spot with my DS. My older DD was able to easily transition from SM5B to AOPS PA (with JA on the side as an occasional "supplement" or to reinforce what she was learning), but she's very mathy. 

If it might be helpful, my current plan is to go the route of Jousting Armadillos (which is based on Jacobs, if I understand correctly?) and some BA for the remainder of the school year (he just completed SM5B two days ago 😉 ). I have been going back and forth and back and forth and back again with MM6. It seems the new, CC aligned MM6 scope and sequence overlaps quite a bit with SM5, even though the end of year MM5 eval was pretty easy for him, and MM6 end of year eval was over his head in quite a few spots - which makes me think jumping to MM7 would be too much of a leap, perhaps? 

SM was an excellent for our kids, I agree the older grade alternatives that are based on the Singapore method don't seem to be as good a fit - i.e. Dimensions, or even MIF.

Ack. 

• Thanks 1