Menu

Ignore this thread!

We used to use cast iron.  We liked it for everything but eggs.  Just couldn't avoid a gross egg mess to clean afterwards.

The science center was fun.  The last time we were there, it was a madhouse.  Today, it was nearly empty.  No line to speak of for the moonwalk or virtual reality thing.  We saw an imax-type film on the history of flying and had a science demonstration/class on transfering energy.

I cleaned out my gardens, including the peony patch.  There are daffodils coming up!

We're off to the kids' orchestra rehearsals.

• Like 4

Homeschool Planet is the winner! 💜

I did not do all the things. I could've done worse, though.

Slache, I don't get people who ask you to help them and don't show up. The ENB is probably available to take care of it, though.

Prayers for Mr. Susan and family: May everyone be in accord and may the chosen course of action go smoothly.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Finally home for the night.  Wore my Fitbit but the battery symbol is flashing and I seem way low on steps based on where I was at other 4-H days.  So, darn.

I would survive the zombie apocalypse.  I'm fat and slow but I've studied a lot on how to survive when the world as we know it ends.    Guns are hard to find around here, but our local Walmart sells machetes and we have bows and arrows.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Dh is going to have a conference call with his brothers tonight to try to make some concrete plans for taking care of their parents. Prayers would be appreciated. Everyone needs guidance. 

Prayers, Susan. My DH is going to have to have the same kind of talk sometime soon. His mom is in very poor health and I worry about his dad taking care of her by himself. There are two nice retirement villages in our town and they could live in an apartment, but he would have care for her much closer, and he can have more socialization. But, i’m Just the daughter-in-law, so I have no say.

• Like 3

Dh talked with his brothers.  Things are even worse than what dh thought in terms of his parents financial situation (which is very bad but could be fine if they leave their current situation), but they are all in agreement about what can and should be done.  His brother is going to call FIL tomorrow and get the conversation started.  His other brother is going to call the grandson and get that conversation started.  Dh gets off a little easier, I think because he is the youngest and is the only one still raising a family.  He may call his mom to give her some encouragement and moral support.  (She wants to move.)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Slache said:

There are about 50 cop cars in our apartment complex. Not exaggerating. Lights going, roped off, told to stay inside. The kids are thrilled, Matt is not.

Not good.  Are your doors locked?  

Code Red At Slachey's Booya!

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 5

So, Mr. Ellie and I both have Type 2 diabetes (that's the kind that's an autoimmune disease, right?). It's mild for both of us; I don't do anything for it, Mr. Ellie's doctor prescribes something...Metformin? Something. He eats pretty well (partially because, you know, me), but he eats lots of carbs. I have tried over the years to convert him to Atkins, and suggested Whole 30 (which is much like Atkins), but there's also this thing where 25+ years ago he had a heart attack and quadruple by-pass, and he has believed the medical people who tell him that eating foods high in cholesterol raises one's cholesterol; he watched me when my cholesterol came down 100 points in two months when I did Atkins, but he continues to take his statins and eat his high carbohydrate diet (I have managed to convert him to butter instead of margarine, and whole milk instead of nonfat).

He's also hypothyroid and has been content to take the synthetic thyroid meds his doctor prescribes, and allowing her to treat him based on TSH, even though he's heard me preach about why that's so wrong.

So now his glucose is testing quite high. Tonight at dinner he said he guessed he'd have to cut back on the carbs, and in all seriousness said that would be hard, as if I had no idea what that would entail. I just looked at him. You know that look.

So I think there's a possibility that we can at least do Whole 30, although I'd rather do Atkins with him (at least with Atkins the goal is to add back carbs until you know just how much you can eat and maintain your weight as opposed to giving up grains and whatnot forever).

So there you have it.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Ellie said:

So, Mr. Ellie and I both have Type 2 diabetes (that's the kind that's an autoimmune disease, right?). It's mild for both of us; I don't do anything for it, Mr. Ellie's doctor prescribes something...Metformin? Something. He eats pretty well (partially because, you know, me), but he eats lots of carbs. I have tried over the years to convert him to Atkins, and suggested Whole 30 (which is much like Atkins), but there's also this thing where 25+ years ago he had a heart attack and quadruple by-pass, and he has believed the medical people who tell him that eating foods high in cholesterol raises one's cholesterol; he watched me when my cholesterol came down 100 points in two months when I did Atkins, but he continues to take his statins and eat his high carbohydrate diet (I have managed to convert him to butter instead of margarine, and whole milk instead of nonfat).

He's also hypothyroid and has been content to take the synthetic thyroid meds his doctor prescribes, and allowing her to treat him based on TSH, even though he's heard me preach about why that's so wrong.

So now his glucose is testing quite high. Tonight at dinner he said he guessed he'd have to cut back on the carbs, and in all seriousness said that would be hard, as if I had no idea what that would entail. I just looked at him. You know that look.

So I think there's a possibility that we can at least do Whole 30, although I'd rather do Atkins with him (at least with Atkins the goal is to add back carbs until you know just how much you can eat and maintain your weight as opposed to giving up grains and whatnot forever).

So there you have it.

Type 2 is not autoimmune. Type 1 is. 

ETA - some research has suggested that type 2 might be autoimmune as well, but the research is not conclusive.  Type 1 is definitively autoimmune. 

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 3

Good Wednesday Morning!  I woke early a couple times, but made myself sleep in a bit.  So nice not to go anywhere or take anyone anywhere early.  Coffee, of course!

Yay for Mr. Ellie.  

Jean, don't feel bad about the steps.  You'll be back out there in no time!  (Warmer temps soon?  I hope.)

Slache,  I thought it was going to be you.  Or maybe Alex.  lol.  

Susan, yay for a plan!  Hope it can come together quickly.  

WH, yay for finding the software-thingy you like!

Toto, boo for inaccurate fitbit.  I don't think mine got my steps while I was in the AFSA last night.  I tried to let it swing, but it's hard to push a cart one handed and not hit things.  😂

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning.

Dh and his brothers will be having the <go into a home> conversation with their parents very soon too.  FIL keeps falling and MIL really should not be the one trying to help him up.  They are both in their 80's and starting to forget things.

Made bird feeders and talked about the Great Backyard Bird Count in 4-H last night.  It went well but I had some of those kids for 6 hours.   They were pretty good 99% of the time, and I've known some of them for a very long time so it's not hard to correct them.  But I am tired.

Three classes today, then a break where I need to run to the store then tutoring.

This board has spoiled me for just reading stuff on Facebook.  I ask too many questions now.  Someone is running an ADD/ADHD seminar for parents and the two people are "Certified Parent to Parent Trainers".  What the heck is a "Certified Parent to Parent Trainer" and why do they deserve $175 per person to run a seminar?  

• Like 6

Good morning!  So glad today is Wednesday because I can't wait for this week to be over.  Nothing much to do today regular lessons, piano (I hope, the last two lessons were cancelled), mid week service and soccer practice.  I'm hoping to get a load of laundry done or we're all going to be pantless, lol. 

Jean-I didn't get my step count either

Slache-what happened?

Susan-I pray things go well with the talk.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, mama25angels said:

Good morning!  So glad today is Wednesday because I can't wait for this week to be over.  Nothing much to do today regular lessons, piano (I hope, the last two lessons were cancelled), mid week service and soccer practice.  I'm hoping to get a load of laundry done or we're all going to be pantless, lol. 

Jean-I didn't get my step count either

Slache-what happened?

Susan-I pray things go well with the talk.

We have no idea. There were so many of them that traffic couldn't get in or out of the complex and they told everyone to stay inside on their megaphone. We got distracted and poof, they were gone. We heard them talking and laughing through the window, so not that serious? Maybe there were extra donuts in the office.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

Good morning!

The interesting thing about FIL is that they owned/ran a home for the elderly for many many years.  FIL KNOWS that elderly people need extra care and assistance!  He has poor balance and fell in the garage lasy week - MIL had a very difficult time helping him get up even though he wasn't injured at all.  And they aren't even going into a facility - they're going to live with dh's oldest brother and his wife.  (This is the plan the in-laws have agreed to.  The issue is that they need to move sooner than later.)

Have to quick get pantz, gather grocery boxes, and do a science lessons.  Then I'm off to Aldi and the dollar store to see if I can find a plate or something to keep under the bonsai tree.  I still haven't decided on a name for him.

Coffee!

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 4

Good Morning!

Happy Wednesday!

My dad is home from the hospital, but I don't think he's doing all that well.

I never knew that Parkinson's disease could move this fast.  I think he was diagnosed 2 or 3 years ago.  I don't really remember.  He started getting worse last spring (I think?) -- more than just hand trembling, needing a walker.  As far as I understand, since his surgery a few weeks ago, he can't walk at all now and can't feed himself (although these might improve?).  My mom is jarringly optimistic through all of this.  I think she's in denial.  😞

• Like 2
  • Sad 6

8 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Type 2 is not autoimmune. Type 1 is. 

ETA - some research has suggested that type 2 might be autoimmune as well, but the research is not conclusive.  Type 1 is definitively autoimmune. 

I can never remember which one it is. ::face palm:: I know it isn't insulin dependent.

• Like 3

(((Junie)))

Ellie edpo:  Thinking of using R&S grammar for my 6th grader next year, he's had some grammar, should I start him in the 5th grade book?

Qoestion for my low carb ladies, what do you eat, that's quick for breakfast?  I love oatmeal and pancakes, I don't care for eggs, unless they are sunny side up and I loathe bacon unless it's turkey bacon, not really a sausage eater.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So Matt sent his resignation to HR and it was declined. :blink: I don't... I don't know what that means.

7 minutes ago, mama25angels said:

Qoestion for my low carb ladies, what do you eat, that's quick for breakfast?  I love oatmeal and pancakes, I don't care for eggs, unless they are sunny side up and I loathe bacon unless it's turkey bacon, not really a sausage eater.

Normally I fast and if I don't it's eggs and olives. If I were you I'd eat non breakfast food. Grilled fish and veggies, a salad with protein, Brussels sprouts roasted with bacon. Things like that. Maybe put aside a portion of dinner for breakfast.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!!!!~D

Humph Day!!

It’s a bit chilly out this morning. We had an “active weather pattern” (California speak for anything besides sunny and mild in the winter), which included a possible funnel cloud spotting, which threw everyone into a tizzy. And now it’s cold. Anyways, that’s the weather report.

The Kids have Enrichment Academy this morning. I think I will stop in and see the in-laws (I haven’t seen then since Christmas) and then go to Costco.

Yay, Mr. Ellie!!

Yay for washed hair, Angi!

Yay, for not being shot, Slashie!!

What kind of birdfeeders, Toto?

Hugs for Junie and parents!!

Yay for Susan’s plan!!

Don’t be too hard on yourself, Jeannie!!

Low-carb breakfast? Cottage cheese and a little pineapple, fried eggs and avocados (with a little olive oil drilled on top and Parmesan cheese), some of Trim Healthy Mamas smoothies. Breakfast is very hard. Sometimes I’ll have a handful of almonds and some slices of cheddar.

Yay for poop, Lana.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Slache said:

So Matt sent his resignation to HR and it was declined. :blink: I don't... I don't know what that means.

Normally I fast and if I don't it's eggs and olives. If I were you I'd eat non breakfast food. Grilled fish and veggies, a salad with protein, Brussels sprouts roasted with bacon. Things like that. Maybe put aside a portion of dinner for breakfast.

Boy, won’t they be surprised when you guys move in 14 days. Save a copy of his resignation letter and their response. You might need it when he’s looking for new jobs in San Antonio so he can prove that he gave two weeks notice. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mama25angels said:

Ellie edpo:  Thinking of using R&S grammar for my 6th grader next year, he's had some grammar, should I start him in the 5th grade book?

Are you wanting *only* grammar? Then I wouldn't recommend R&S's English, as it is a complete, comprehensive grammar *and* composition. If you want *only* grammar, then Easy Grammar, or, if you must have diagramming, Analytical Grammar.

For a quick breakfast: leftover pot roast, cube steak sauteed in butter (and a sunny-side-up egg on top), maybe something new with eggs, like eggs and cheese and tomatoes scrambled together.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, mama25angels said:

(((Junie)))

R&S 6 is really hard.  I would start with 5.  My kids actually do book 6 in 6th grade (they start with book 3 in 3rd grade) and then AGAIN in 7th grade.  (If you don't want to include writing, just have them skip those lessons.)

Full fat plain Greek yogurt is a "lowish" carb option for breakfast.  Maybe with some stevia and berries.  Berries, cheese, and turkey bacon make a nice breakfast.  

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Junie---a lot of people with Parkinson's have a worsening of disease after surgery. It's a known issue that affects 30-50% of patients (depending on which study you follow).  If you want some more reading:

https://www.neurologyadvisor.com/movement-disorders/parkinson-disease-anesthesia-cautions-preparation/article/742947/

https://newoldage.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/04/17/hospital-dangers-for-patients-with-parkinsons/

http://pdcenter.neurology.ucsf.edu/patients-guide/precautions-regarding-hospitalization

In my relative's case, there were also some mini-strokes that happened immediately post-op that weren't picked up on right away.

I'm sorry things aren't going well for your dad.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2