Menu

Ignore this thread!

It's February! Next years plans:

(Together, John, Mary)
Content Subjects: Explorer's Bible Study New Testament, world geography, habitats & animals
English: RLTL (spelling), poetry memorization, IEW writing & grammar, typing, WWE & English For The Thoughtful Child
Spanish: Step By Step & Duolingo, La Pata Pita (reading) & GSWS
Greek: Songs, EG 2 w/ additional vocabulary, the alphabet
Japanese: Nigongoshark at separate paces
Math: Strayer-Upton at separate paces
Fine Arts: God & The History of Art, Singing Made Easy, Piano & Guitar, Ocarina
PE: Yoga, hiking and dance DVDs, probably C25K

Other Pursuits:

• More Spanish (Spanish only in the home)
  • More Signing (ASL only in the car)
  • Replacing family movie night with an old TV show and games
  • Top bunk read aloud time (everyone in the top bunk listening to the Narnia series
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's February!  Next year's plans:

More of the same stuff, moving up a level where appropriate.  Ds14 starts tutorial and continues TT math at home.  Dd16 continues TT math and tutorial and hopefully scores high enough on a standardized test to take a dual enrollment class at the local CC. Probably Speech and/or American History.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I forgot to mention that we're doing NaNoWriMo this year. There's a 3rd grade workbook and you make up your own word count goal. I don't know how to do that but I'll figure it out through free writes. I just want to drop everything for a month and let him go (with some pre planning and direction).

• Like 3

Um, Slache, you definitely don't want your memories being stored outside in SA.  Did I mention the heat, bugs, torrential rain, lizards, etc.? I think I still have pictures of the roaches that were in our garden shed there if you need a refresher. I think I posted about that---I had no idea roaches could fly until then. 

Anything you treasure or ever want to use again needs to be inside in a humidity and temperature controlled environment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

7 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Um, Slache, you definitely don't want your memories being stored outside in SA.  Did I mention the heat, bugs, torrential rain, lizards, etc.? I think I still have pictures of the roaches that were in our garden shed there if you need a refresher. I think I posted about that---I had no idea roaches could fly until then. 

Anything you treasure or ever want to use again needs to be inside in a humidity and temperature controlled environment.

But then I could get rid of more...

• Thanks 1

In all seriousness, JJM, we're doing a bit of salvage work here too.  Some things have become a bit soul killing and so we're rebalancing and regrouping while still meeting the end goal of what we need to do.

Jo had a very serious surgery.  She's been on medical leave.  Don't freak out about this too much. You could always take another semester to finish out high school or work over the summer.  Things will get done. It just doesn't need to all happen today.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Libby the Disabled Wonder Dog, who can barely get around, got DD’s leftover pizza off of her tall bed and polished off the leftovers. Libby should be a motivational speaker. 

I'd probably get off by buttocks, too, if there were a pizza around...

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

In all seriousness, JJM, we're doing a bit of salvage work here too.  Some things have become a bit soul killing and so we're rebalancing and regrouping while still meeting the end goal of what we need to do.

Jo had a very serious surgery.  She's been on medical leave.  Don't freak out about this too much. You could always take another semester to finish out high school or work over the summer.  Things will get done. It just doesn't need to all happen today.

You're absolutely right, prairie. I just can't quite find the energy to start worrying about NEXT year right now.🤪

• Like 5

So tomorrow is Candlemas Day.  This is a holiday that is new to me, and I only learned about it because of a Christmas song the kids sang in their children's choir concert (All in the Morning).  Apparently it is a celebration of the day Jesus was brought to the temple on the 40th day of his birth.  Traditionally, people would bring their candles to the church to be blessed and then used as a reminder through the year that Jesus is the Light of the world.  :smile:

Weather predictions were made ala Groundhog Day.

If Candlemas Day be fair and bright
Winter will have another fight.
If Candlemas Day brings cloud and rain,
Winter won't come again.

If Candlemas Day be dry and fair,
The half o the winter's to come and mair;
If Candlemas Day be wet and foul,
The half o the winter's gane at Yule.

Farmer's Proverbs

'A farmer should, on Candlemas Day,
Have half his corn and half his hay.'

'On Candlemas Day if the thorns hang adrop,
You can be sure of a good pea crop.' 

German Proverb. 

The badger peeps out of his hole on Candlemas Day,
and, if he finds snow, walks abroad; but if he sees the sun shining he draws back into his hole."

(From projectbritain.com "Candlemas Day")

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, JoJosMom said:

It's February! Maybe I should try to figure out just how the h@ll to salvage our school year???

2 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Eh. School is overrated. 

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I agree with what Prairie said, JJM!!!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

It’s February. Why in the world would I be thinking about next year yet?

I’m not thinking about next year. I’ve just started science for this year.😂😂😂 I’m dumping REAL Science 4 Kids and going back to Apologia, even if I have to pay for it myself.

• Like 4

I'm looking at the San Antonio Marathon's 5K race for John and he's a year too young this year, but... there's a kid's run with a training program where you run a total of 25.2 miles in the 8 weeks leading up to race day so that on race day you run the final mile making it a total of 26.2 miles, or a marathon.

I thought that was cool.

#runonsentencesrock

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Slache said:

Hi Susan.

Hey.

What's annoying is that I normally sleep on my left side.  But now that I HAVE to sleep on my left side (because of stupid knee), it suddenly becomes intolerable and I can't stay in bed.  So I'm up reading blog articles by this orthopedic surgeon in Austin who has very strong opinions about keeping healthy: sit like a man.  don't wear heels.  stand on one leg. and especially DON'T DO SQUATS!

• Like 3

Whew!  It took awhile to ketchup!  Good Saturday Morning!  Coffee!  

Slache:  19 days!  :willy-nilly:

Susan, I think I like the advice of your orthopedic surgeon blogger.  I never wear heels and I don't do squats (or lunges! - I don't think we were meant to move like that, lol).  Unfortunately, I don't sit like a man and I don't think I ever stand on one leg.  

Lana, so nice to see you here!  February is a good time to visit and briefly deny that the house needs cleaning or any other unpleasant realities.  😂

Oh, and I think I forgot to say that our dryer was broken.  But dh fixed it!  Yay!  Even better, my Mom took a bunch of laundry yesterday so I'm not really behind anymore.  

• Like 5

Good morning!  A blessed Candlemas / Groundhog Day to you!  :biggrin:

From everything I have been reading on the all-knowing interwebs, I think my exercises plan for the year (stepper machine and burpees) has to be scrapped permanently.  Ize sad.  I like it and I've kept up with it consistently so far this year.  I have to come up with plan B this weekend.

This morning I'm going to the Goodwill 1/2$ day to buy cheap rat bedding (pillow shams and baby blankets), and the library after I find Mufaro's Beautiful Daughters to return, and dd12 wanted to go to the pet store to buy her birds a new toy and see if it is puppy adoption day.  Just to look.  Dh is going to take her to the Scout Shop to get her Scout uniform and book.  It's essentially the exact same book her brother has except they changed the pronouns and replaced photos and pictures to have girls in them.

Otherwise I just need to get the next chapters of Writing&Rhetoric together and make sure I have all the history & literature books ready to go on Monday.

Coffee!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, KrissiK said:

Hold on to your hats, ladies..... the History Channel is going to reveal the ultimate proof of ancient alien contact. 

Duh duh!!

Oh, my gosh! We LOOOOOVE Ancient Aliens! When Jo was stoned half out of her gourd we just couldn't get enough; now that's entertainment, right there!

(Seriously, WTH happened to the History Channel? I remember when it used to have programs about, you know, history.)

• Like 4

Good Morning!!

No COFFEE!!!~D yet.  I never make COFFEE!,!~D in the hotel room because #norealhalfandhalf. 

I slept horribly. The bed is ‘t Bad, it’s just not mine. But the real reason is it poured and poured down rain. Fortunately the hotel is on a slope which goes down to the creek, so drainage is really good, but my goodness, that was quite a storm. Probably not a great weekend to go to the coast, but when I made the reservations there wasn’t much of a chance of rain.

So, instead of going to the beach, we are going to Hearst Castle. Indoor fun!!

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Dh and Dd are in line to start a historic 8k. It's the first time people get to go through a new tunnel on the Seattle waterfront and the last time they go on the old viaduct before it is torn down. 

This is so cool! Why 8? Because that's what's required to make it through both?

• Like 1

Hey all! It's been forever, but wanted to pop in and say hey! 

Also just giving an update on my dad for those who are interested. 😉
Feb 11 will be one year since his accident. WOW. Time has flown and dragged by. It's funny how things like that happen. 
Anyway, he's doing really, really well. No more PT or speech therapy. He has a neurologist he sees now - I can't remember if I told on here, but Mom took him to the hospital back in November(?) for possible mini-strokes or partial onset seizures. They still aren't completely sure which it was, but he's on medication for both. Aside from that, he's doing really well. 
He was approved for disability, but they're not getting much because they're still getting payments from Workman's Comp. We're not sure how long WC will be paying out, so that's a bit frustrating, but it is what it is. 🤷‍♀️
He is able to drive which helps mom a lot. But, he still has a lot of deficits  - like, he doesn't understand money - he bought a $60 harmonica back around Christmas. lol 😳; He also can't identify money, so that's fun. He has minimal sarcasm comprehension, too, which can be difficult since we're all pretty sarcastic. Random things that peope don't always understand right off the bat; you could look at him and think everything was normal if you didn't know what to look for. 
We joke that he's turned into Rain Man. He can't tell a dime from a nickel, but he can look at a diagram of a shed and immediately tell how it was put together incorrectly. He notices the most minute variations in width, if something is barely off center, etc. So...yeah...He's our own Rain Man.

Over all, though, he's made an amazing recovery from Feb 14 when the doctor was pretty certain that he could NOT save him. So, we'll gladly take the remedial math and language deficits. 

On Feb 10, the church is doing a small "Yay! You're alive" celebration. (That's what I'm calling it because it makes me laugh.) We'll go down to celebrate, then go out to eat, and enjoy the fact that we aren't remembering a loss this time of year. 

Anyhoo, we're all good, just busy. Riv's good and loving co-op and doing well at church since she wears headphones and has some buddies that check in on her. She's also almost done with OT. PT is getting better too and I think we'll be down to one session by next fall.

So, that's us in a nutshell. 🙂
I'm hoping to pop in more often now that I have figured out a better schedule and routine for school and my 2 at-home jobs. 

How are you guys?! 

• Like 8