Menu

Ignore this thread!

Happy Monday!

I accepted the Fitbit challenge for this week but I'm going to lose.  I'm on a class break this week so I will not be doing my normal activities, will probably forget to put on my Fitbit most days (because I'm not going to be wearing jeans or a bra most days and that's the two places I wear it).

I did some 200 book reading challenges a few years in a row, but once I started the science center I didn't think I'd have time.  I still read a TON, but I"m doing a lot more light reading that I can finish a book in a day or two.  I'm not working through any decent literature at this point.  I took out the whole Discworld series from the library to read before giving it to ds (I very rarely preread for the kids, but I wanted to read this since it's my favorite genre).  I didn't even get it started before it was due back after the second renewal.  <<sigh>>

Looks like my bird activity will be on tomorrow.  We're only supposed to get a couple of inches now, and it's not supposed to start until later.    

We don't bother shoveling/plowing/blowing our driveway.  We have a gravel driveway so it's not that easy to do without pulling up half the gravel. Plus we have two 4WD vehicles so we pretty much drive right over it.   Enough of the gravel usually sticks up to provide traction unless it's like 3 inch thick ice, and we've never had that.  Dh does shovel off the back deck and put down salt if it's bad enough.  

• Like 4

Mattresses are dropped off. Easy peasy. It’s like all these stinkin’ jobs hanging over my head. When you do it, it’s not a big deal, but you gotta call the guy and schedule a time and somehow that just seems like so much effort. And effort is something of which I seem to be in constant low supply.

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

I did some 200 book reading challenges a few years in a row, but once I started the science center I didn't think I'd have time.  I still read a TON, but I"m doing a lot more light reading that I can finish a book in a day or two.  I'm not working through any decent literature at this point.  I took out the whole Discworld series from the library to read before giving it to ds (I very rarely preread for the kids, but I wanted to read this since it's my favorite genre).  I didn't even get it started before it was due back after the second renewal.  <<sigh>>

200 books in a year??. Oh mercy.  And I thought I was doing well reading 32 books last year. What am I saying?? I did do well.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Happy Monday, ITT!

I found all my books. I wasn't worried, because I knew they were in the garage. It was just an annoyance that they weren't *right there*, lol.

Today, Mr. Ellie and I will choose the tile for the backsplash in the kitchen and laundry room. Woohoo.

That is all.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I rarely read any more.  I used to love to read.  But it was part of my sedentariness.  Now I watch a lot of tv but while I'm cooking and cleaning and even looking things up on the web etc.  I need to reach a balance here eventually. 

You could do audio books instead. I am not an auditory learner so it would just be annoying to me. I wish I could!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KrissiK said:

Mattresses are dropped off. Easy peasy. It’s like all these stinkin’ jobs hanging over my head. When you do it, it’s not a big deal, but you gotta call the guy and schedule a time and somehow that just seems like so much effort. And effort is something of which I seem to be in constant low supply.

Story of my life. 😬

• Like 2

Revising all morning long. Am loving the things I am adding back in, and hope my agent loves them too.

In other news, it is not exactly cold, but it looks like it's fixing to be miserably cold. It's 44F and precipitating something that at least sounds like rain. I feel like I should take a warm bath, drink some hot chocolate, and then crawl in bed and hibernate.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I rarely read any more.  I used to love to read.  But it was part of my sedentariness.  Now I watch a lot of tv but while I'm cooking and cleaning and even looking things up on the web etc.  I need to reach a balance here eventually. 

I read in bed at night. When the dc were young, I didn't feel like I could read during the day, KWIM? So I started reading at night. Now that I'm an empty nester and can do any thing I darn well please, I still read at night. 🙂

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

I have a really good Bible on CD that I like to listen to in bed.  But I fall asleep.

I listen to the Bible as my one exception, but if I zone in and out it doesn't bother me because I still know exactly what's going on when I zone back in.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, KrissiK said:

This is me with anything that requires a phone call.  It could be a 2 second phone call but I will put it off for eternity.

21 hours ago, KrissiK said:

200 books in a year??. Oh mercy.  And I thought I was doing well reading 32 books last year. What am I saying?? I did do well.

I read a lot.  Like constantly. I also read fast so I can finish a 200-300 page book in an evening.  I get most of my reading done between September and March because dh and I don't want much tv together during those months because of football and college basketball.  The only thing I'll watch during those months is Supernatural.  I'm not a big tv watcher.  I'll also bring a book and read on the treadmill at the Y, between classes at the science center, every spare minute I have.  

My house would probably be a lot cleaner if I didn't read so much.  

19 hours ago, Slache said:

You could do audio books instead. I am not an auditory learner so it would just be annoying to me. I wish I could!

19 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

I can't do audio books either.  My mind wanders too much.

I can't do audio books either.  Two minutes in and I"m thinking about something else.

ETA:   Super-late booya because weird things are happening.

Edited by Where's Toto?
  • Like 6

You guys are making me think through why I don’t read. Reading books makes me fall asleep within five minutes. I can’t afford to fall asleep during the day. I also don’t have time until after dinner. And after dinner is when I usually walk the dog. Then it’s tv time when I bribe myself to do chores during the commercials and multitask during the shows. I stopped reading at bedtime due to book light issues. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

You guys are making me think through why I don’t read. Reading books makes me fall asleep within five minutes. I can’t afford to fall asleep during the day. I also don’t have time until after dinner. And after dinner is when I usually walk the dog. Then it’s tv time when I bribe myself to do chores during the commercials and multitask during the shows. I stopped reading at bedtime due to book light issues. 

You need to read more interesting books.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

I really need this apartment thing settled!

13 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I have 2 reading times each day (note that I don't claim to read twice a day). Before the kids are up I read an insanely short devotional, a section of Tools For Titans, and my Spanish Bible. In the evening I try to read one chapter from 3 books because 3 chapters from one book is boring. Any time I try to read any other time it flops, and those often flop too. I have had luck in the past with putting a book on my phone and reading a snippet every time I get the chance.

• Like 4

I read most when I am waiting for the kids during their lessons and rehearsals. Which is up to 6 hours a week, though I try to get up and walk around every so often. If it’s a really interesting book I’ll also read at night. 

They have put metro schools on a 2-hour delay for tomorrow. I really want them to just cancel it altogether so we can reschedule the field trip. 

OK. Time to wander over to the grocery store. Need anything?  Chocolate?  Creamer?  We might be iced in tomorrow so better be prepared. 

• Like 2

My headache was really, really bad earlier.  I had to run some errands in town and I was crying by the time I got home.

I have given up caffeine (except for small quantities of chocolate), but I actually had a tiny can of Coke in the fridge.  I took just a few sips to wash down some Advil, took a shower, and then a nap.  By the time I got out of the shower my headache had gone from an 8 to a 3.  A 3 on my pain scale is not good, but it is much, much better than an 8.

Leftovers for dinner.  Dd14 is this week's meal helper, so she handled dinner on her own.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

We are waiting for the final approval but were told we got the apartment. The people before us paid for an upgrade so it's all stainless steel appliances, efficient washer/dryer, light gray and blue walls with white trim, etc. 

The management has answered the phone every time we've called without fail. This is not a normal experience for us.

The master bedroom is about 20 feet long so we're giving it to the kids and taking the boring bedroom.

I'm excited about the 24 hour fitness center since I work out at 6 am and most don't open until 9. I've really been wanting about $2,000 in gym equipment and it's all there.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Junie said:

My headache was really, really bad earlier.  I had to run some errands in town and I was crying by the time I got home.

I have given up caffeine (except for small quantities of chocolate), but I actually had a tiny can of Coke in the fridge.  I took just a few sips to wash down some Advil, took a shower, and then a nap.  By the time I got out of the shower my headache had gone from an 8 to a 3.  A 3 on my pain scale is not good, but it is much, much better than an 8.

Leftovers for dinner.  Dd14 is this week's meal helper, so she handled dinner on her own.  

Fighting a headache myself tonight. I am seriously debating half-strength caffeinated tea to help. Most of the time caffeine helps me. 

But I want to sleep, too, so there's always that trade off.

• Sad 4

My headache is much, much better for the moment.

It's been hanging around for the last 5 days.  I can almost get rid of it and then it comes back with a vengeance.

I started reading Dumas' The Man in the Iron Mask.  I think that I'm going to love this book.

• Like 6

49 minutes ago, Junie said:

My headache is much, much better for the moment.

It's been hanging around for the last 5 days.  I can almost get rid of it and then it comes back with a vengeance.

I started reading Dumas' The Man in the Iron Mask.  I think that I'm going to love this book.

That is an amazing book.  That, The Three Musketeers and The Count of Monte Cristo are among my favorite books.  

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

I read most when I am waiting for the kids during their lessons and rehearsals. Which is up to 6 hours a week, though I try to get up and walk around every so often. If it’s a really interesting book I’ll also read at night. 

They have put metro schools on a 2-hour delay for tomorrow. I really want them to just cancel it altogether so we can reschedule the field trip. 

OK. Time to wander over to the grocery store. Need anything?  Chocolate?  Creamer?  We might be iced in tomorrow so better be prepared. 

Just make sure you have enough COFFEE!!!~D

• Like 3

The dishwasher is humming. I still need to wipe things down and sweep. Then, I am done. I ddin’t Sleep well last night. Hopefully tonight will be better. Cleaners come tomorrow, so I need to be at the old house by 8:30 to open up for them. That house is scheduled to go on the market a week from tomorrow. Here’s hoping it sells quickly and we get a good price. I am so tired of having all that hanging over me.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Good morning!

It's COLD out there!  JJM, I expect full winter outerwear for you today!  None of this acting like you're on safari!  Don't forget the snowshoes!

Snowmageddon 2019 is a complete bust.  There is NO snow out there.  None.  All the surrounding counties have either closed school or delayed opening.  Our county superintendent has the brains to wait and see if snow actually happens, which is rare.  So our field trip is on for today.  

Coffee!

• Like 6

The habits book I began starts out with a traditional tragic story where the guy gets hit in the face with a baseball bat and it ruins his potential baseball career. Well, that shattered his eye sockets and then the doctors had him blow his nose his eyeball bulged. I can no longer blow my nose comfortably.

Edited by Slache
  • Sad 4

Good morning!  Last night at soccer practice was brutal!  It was so cold, the kid had a good time though but, I will be finding him and me some warmer clothing.  We have regular lessons today and I'm thinking of going to the library, just for a change scenery.  I just need a different atmosphere.

• Like 5