Menu

Ignore this thread!

3 minutes ago, mama25angels said:

Edpo:  Ladies, we are not doing any consistent writing, not even my older boy, the 10th grader.  Help us to write something daily, I have IEW, which I love, and a ton of other writing resources, why aren't we writing?

I attached writing to story time.  Everyone does a little work from Writing & Rhetoric every day after the read-aloud.  We're on book 4 now.  My 10th grader won't get through all of them, but it will be something.  (She also takes American Literature at a tutorial, and has to do some writing for that class.)  

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Slache, has your head survived the trauma of the part change?

Wow, you have a good memory! Yes. A few years ago my hairdresser girlfriend told me that I part my hair on the wrong side. Apparently you're supposed the right side for girls and the left for boys and I do the boys' side. It made me self-conscious so I changed it but I never liked it so now it's back. Hopefully, people don't think I'm a boy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I part in the middle.  I never heard there was a boy and girls side.  

Good Morning.  Cold today.  Having lunch with oldest dd at Cheesecake Factory, then over to the science center for a board game meetup, then some tutoring.  In between, working on classes, leveling up the kids at D&D, laundry, and planning school for my kids.  They are being somewhat lazy this week and it's all my fault.

• Like 6

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Humph Day!!!!

The Kids have Enrichment Academy in the Big City. I’m meeting my IRL- BFF at Panera. Then there’s piano lessons, meeting with my charter school teacher and Awana. Wednesdays are not my favorite days. (Autocorrect wanted to kill a kitteh.)

I slept horribly. Hotflashes all night. I haven’t had hotflashes in months. My hormones are so wonky.

((Hugs)) and warm clothes to those in the Polar Vortex and Snow-mageddon. I have a daffodil or two blooming in the front yard. But I know we’ll get ours when it’s 85 gazillion degrees in the middle of summer and the entire state is on fire and we’re all breathing through gas masks.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Daffodills make me so happy!  I planted some bulbs last year, so hopefully we will have some pretty things coming up in the next month of so.

The two youngest managed to scrape enough snow together to make a couple snowballs before the sun melted everything.  The streets are now dry.  Happy Snow Day!  :biggrin:

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

I attached writing to story time.  Everyone does a little work from Writing & Rhetoric every day after the read-aloud.  We're on book 4 now.  My 10th grader won't get through all of them, but it will be something.  (She also takes American Literature at a tutorial, and has to do some writing for that class.)  

Ok, tell me where to start with my two, just for reference, the youngest is a much better writer than the oldest.  I'm thinking book 2 for both?  Or maybe something from Memoria Press since I have that coupon?  Thoughts 

Edited by mama25angels
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

Daffodills make me so happy!  I planted some bulbs last year, so hopefully we will have some pretty things coming up in the next month of so.

The two youngest managed to scrape enough snow together to make a couple snowballs before the sun melted everything.  The streets are now dry.  Happy Snow Day!  :biggrin:

Our daffodils are about six inches up from the ground now. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mama25angels said:

Ok, tell me where to start with my two, just for reference, the youngest is a much better writer than the oldest.  I'm thinking book 2 for both?  Or maybe something from Memoria Press since I have that coupon?  Thoughts 

For W&R, I'd probably start with book 3, which would be a really easy introduction to the format and then go right into book 4 which gets a little more meaty and interesting, imo.  You can print off the first 3? chapter on the website to get a better feel for it. BUT, if you have and really love IEW, I might see if there was a way to work through that in short 15-20 minute sessions.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Junie said:

Good Morning!

Happy Wednesday!

Is your head better, Junie?

3 hours ago, mama25angels said:

Good morning!  We did school at the library yesterday and it was fun!  Today we'll be home because I need to run people places and do laundry but, I sure wish we weren't going to be here.  The februaries have taken hold and I just don't want to do anything, I know that there are other contributing factors but, I just want to blame it on February, lol.  

Edpo:  Ladies, we are not doing any consistent writing, not even my older boy, the 10th grader.  Help us to write something daily, I have IEW, which I love, and a ton of other writing resources, why aren't we writing?

I was having a similar problem with my 10th grader.  She is reading novels, but we haven't done a lot of writing with that (more discussing).  She was interested in myths, so I'm having her read a mythology book and writing narrations/summaries/any ideas she has in response to what she reads just as a way to get pencil to paper more.  (The only trouble here is that I need to check everyday that she has actually done it so she doesn't "forget."  😳🙄😩 )  She also has a research paper each semester in her world civ. class.  

1 hour ago, myblessings4 said:

But yet they can't remember where you had it parted, once they're finished cutting your hair.

That is SO true!  They always ask.  😜😂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Slache said:

I want to do W&R so bad! It looks so good. But we have a thing, and it's working! Why is it working? It's not fair!

Do what is working!  I didn't start W&R until my oldest was in 9th grade and youngest in 3rd.  So it's flexible if you ever need a change.

2 hours ago, Junie said:

Yes!  I feel like a completely different person than I was over the weekend.

:smile:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I mopped the kitchen floor and reaerved all the library books we need for our next unit of history/literature.  My headache has moved from my temple to my face.  It's not terrible, just enough to remind me he's there and doesn't want to be ignored.  Should I do stepper or practice harp?  Maybe harp first, then stepper.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

I mopped the kitchen floor and reaerved all the library books we need for our next unit of history/literature.  My headache has moved from my temple to my face.  It's not terrible, just enough to remind me he's there and doesn't want to be ignored.  Should I do stepper or practice harp?  Maybe harp first, then stepper.

Chocolate. You should do chocolate first. (No, seriously. Isn't dark chocolate supposed to be good for headaches?)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Had lunch with dd and actually looked to see which side she parts her hair on - the right.  So did that make her a boy or girl?

We ended up having about 15 kids at our board game meet-up.  Great turn-out but the tables were a little weird because I thought it was only going to be me and the mom that actually organizes it so I didn't really move the tables into a better arrangement.  Oh well, it worked out okay.   

I have to figure out snacks for my hang-outs and game days.  I wouldn't offer snacks (people can and do bring their own) but my kids always want to eat and I can't have them sitting there eating without at least having something to offer others.  Generally I do pretzels, which aren't expensive and not allergenic for most people.  But we're also going through cases of water really fast and the 1/2 empty water bottles left behind are driving me nuts.   But we don't drink the tap water except using it in the coffee maker because we haven't had it tested and we put in the sink/pipes after they were unused for who knows how long.  I do use the left behind 1/2 full water bottles for the snake, cockroaches, worms and plants so it's not completely wasted.   I'd buy the big 2 1/2 gallon water jugs except plastic cups would be just as wasteful (and spill easier) and I don't want to add that many cups or glasses to my dishes.   I'd buy the smaller water bottles but they are sometimes MORE expensive than the larger bottles.  I do reuse the empty water bottles for various science experiments and activities.  But at this point I have a huge bucket of them already. 

• Like 4

I have had my hair parted in the middle, on the left, and on the right. My hair refuses to cooperate with any direction. Apparently, this makes me a cat.

I have been at the computer all day today, revising. I added 2000 words to a chapter, added one bit of backstory in more detail, and one emotionally charged scene that wore me out. Waiting for pain killers to kick in before bedtime. Giving my guy a day off tomorrow. He deserves it after all I put him through today!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I had a nice chilled root beer. 

Sounds yummy but the idea of anything chilled right now, ugh.

I have two make-up classes today and one tomorrow, then my new session starts on Monday.  

I kinda don't want to go outside at all today because it's so cold.  But my classroom is much much MUCH warmer than my house, which is old and drafty.  So, for that I kinda do want to go out today.

• Like 6

Good Morning. 

No COFFEE!!! Yet because I am still in bed. #lazy. My iPad won't let me log into the Forums for some reason, so I have to do this on my phone.😠

School today. I gotta let the carpet cleaner in at 9:00 And the guy who is going to replace the caulking in the shower. 

• Like 4