Menu

Ignore this thread!

1 hour ago, Where's Toto? said:

My honest feeling is his current high-anxiety level is due to the holidays.  We don't do a lot, and let him bring his tablet with him when we do have to go somewhere so he can "check out" that way when he needs to.  But even given that, there is some interaction that is unavoidable.  We go to my moms Christmas Eve, we visit the in-laws for a few days.  We also had 4-H, a game day, lunch with my dad, and I think one other thing I'm not thinking of, all in the same week.   

I'm looking into at-home CBT and EFT techniques, we're definitely going to increase his exercise after the holidays, look into yoga and Tai Chi, and we're working on improving his sleep.   

He's not hesitant to talk when he's feeling very anxious.  Unfortunately that includes waking me up multiple times to ask whether something is normal.  So far I'm doing well at being patient and answering his questions fully, which also seems to help him.  

Dh is more worried than I am, and is the one pushing counseling.  But he is willing to try other things first, especially since for right now it's not really stopping him from doing his normal activities.

I loved my Tai Chi class. 

Also, I have found water exercise (swimming or water aerobics) to be a great help in improving sleep.

• Like 1

I will say, staying home and doing just about nothing today was amazing. I think even the boy enjoyed it. He got the chair to himself, had no brother to antagonize him, and we've just had a kind of introvert's holiday with companionable silence and occasional interaction around food and what the other is thinking about or working on. Very peaceful. 

• Like 6

DH and my other boy are home from Christmas. They said a good time was had by all and brought home gifts and leftover turkey. I got some hand towels (quite sturdy), some soap, a gift card (hello, books!), money (more books), and a 70 hr candle (to use while writing books). All good. Especially the soap. I do need to bathe the goat after all! 😎

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Junie said:

It's ingredients like ground psyllium husk that make me hate gluten free cooking and baking.  :scowl:

Having only males around the house means the jokes fly when psyllium husk is involved in the baking.😁 To be fair, I joke a lot about it, too.

• Like 2

Ds14 is coughing again but at least he’s keeping his food down. Dh brought them over for dessert-dinner because he said everyone was doing good, but dd9 clearly still had a fever and was feeling bad. 

Three people were unable to eat  pie for dessert because even the apple streusel pie had nuts in it. 🙄

I have enjoyed taking my sister’s dog on daily walks. 

• Sad 3

Feliz Navidad a todos! 

We had fun hanging out with my suegra; she was visiting her sister in Albuquerque and we went down two days in a row! Ate a lot of tamales, chicharrones, and carnitas.

I got home and cooked a Christmas dinner. This year it was rib eye steak with black olive vinaigrette, orzo pasta with fontina cheese, roasted watermelon radish, squash gratin (mixed delicata squash and zucchini), and cucumber tomato salad. Apparently, I like to experiment because two of the recipes were new. Take out the steak and a vegetarian could have eaten at my house (if they eat cheese)! Remove the pasta and leave out the bread crumbs (topping on the gratin and pasta), and it would have been gluten free! Those were random thoughts I had as we ate...

I have a few days to chill, then start teaching English again on Monday (Tuesday off), then start teaching Spanish on January 3rd. I'll be teaching 28 different Spanish classes this upcoming semester! So, I may be disappearing again... Things are on the horizon, so I will try to keep in touch. Maybe I'll start by updating my signature...

• Like 10

Our new/used vacuum stopped working a week ago and I don't know what to do. Matt's taking it apart tomorrow.

1 hour ago, Junie said:

It's ingredients like ground psyllium husk that make me hate gluten free cooking and baking.  :scowl:

I'm sorry.

13 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Is there any point in having an echo dot if you don’t have an Alexa?

That is Alexa. Set it up under whoever has the audible account. I love ours.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, Renai said:

Feliz Navidad a todos! 

We had fun hanging out with my suegra; she was visiting her sister in Albuquerque and we went down two days in a row! Ate a lot of tamales, chicharrones, and carnitas.

I got home and cooked a Christmas dinner. This year it was rib eye steak with black olive vinaigrette, orzo pasta with fontina cheese, roasted watermelon radish, squash gratin (mixed delicata squash and zucchini), and cucumber tomato salad. Apparently, I like to experiment because two of the recipes were new. Take out the steak and a vegetarian could have eaten at my house (if they eat cheese)! Remove the pasta and leave out the bread crumbs (topping on the gratin and pasta), and it would have been gluten free! Those were random thoughts I had as we ate...

I have a few days to chill, then start teaching English again on Monday (Tuesday off), then start teaching Spanish on January 3rd. I'll be teaching 28 different Spanish classes this upcoming semester! So, I may be disappearing again... Things are on the horizon, so I will try to keep in touch. Maybe I'll start by updating my signature...

You have me blocked on your phone.

1 minute ago, Susan in TN said:

It was a gift from my parents who live 800 miles from us. Is it something we really need?  We rarely listen to music in the house. 

Absolutely not. My favorite uses are...

• List making
  • Thunderstorm sounds
  • Spotify/Pandora
  • Audible
  • Flipping coins for the kids
  • Asking her questions (translation/weather/biographies)

She's spunky. As she puts it "I'm more sass than mass." But she's clean and child friendly. If you don't want it someone will.

Wait! The timer! She times all the things. 

You need her.

• Like 3

Today we used 6 timers, listened to a book and music and apparently John asked a series of questions about sonic the hedgehog. On the Fourth of July she randomly sang us the Star-Spangled Banner when we were in the kitchen and she gets very excited about birthdays and sings us things and tells us about the day.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Slache said:

Yes you did! Fix it!

I didn´t, though. It may be selectively blocking messages because we haven´t paid the bill in a month and a half. I wasn´t able to send to my neighbor either, but can send to my parents and a couple of other people. Go figure. I´m on messenger though, usable with the wifi in my home, so you can still reach me.

3 minutes ago, Renai said:

I didn´t, though. It may be selectively blocking messages because we haven´t paid the bill in a month and a half. I wasn´t able to send to my neighbor either, but can send to my parents and a couple of other people. Go figure. I´m on messenger though, usable with the wifi in my home, so you can still reach me.

Ok. I figured Gymnast did it.  I just told you we were having a ham for dinner and once I was blocked I poured my heart out to you confessing my devastation and begging you to take me back. Then I think I said Marco the next day but that didn't work either.

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Slache said:

Ok. I figured Gymnast did it.  I just told you we were having a ham for dinner and once I was blocked I poured my heart out to you confessing my devastation and begging you to take me back. Then I think I said Marco the next day but that didn't work either.

I'll eventually have it back on. I'm kinda broke right now until the new semester starts...

12 minutes ago, Renai said:

I'll eventually have it back on. I'm kinda broke right now until the new semester starts...

I so hear you. Our vacuum is busted and Matt's allergies are getting out of hand. We're in the just keep swimming until the tax return comes part of the year. We'll get a new vacuum before then but sheesh.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Junie said:

Laser Tag is a huge hit!

ETA: BOOYAH!!!!

Congratulations on the booya! #noh

I *love* laser tag. If you ever happen to be out this way and want to visit with Slache and me, I will take you to the best laser tag place ever, which just happens to be in San Antonio.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Good morning ladies, I'm baaack!  Did you miss me?  I had a wonderful, wonderful Christmas holiday and I'm looking forward to New Years.  How is everyone?  Is anyone going to do a word for the year?  I have so much I want to accomplish this year, I really should be writing it down because keeping it in my head never works, lol!

Angi, have a great day at work!

• Like 7

Good morning!

i slept fairly well after midnight when we tried giving ds14 some albuterol after running out of ideas. It seemed to help. I don’t like playing a doctor in out-of-town hotels. It makes me grumpy.

Dd12 is excited because she slept past 8:00 for the first time!  😁  

More hotel breakfast and then we visit the Magnolia places. 

Coffee!

• Like 7

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Sorry I have AWOL the past few days. We have been dealing with some very serious issues regarding oldest DS, life has been a nightmare. But, he has been removed from our home and we are on the road to recovery, and I can say I have felt God’s Grace and mercy in ways I could never have imagined, and so we are doing all right. We spent the past couple days at my parents’ house camping out on couches and the floor. We get the keys to our new house today, so we are going to start moving in right away. We still have new carpet to get installed, but we are just going to not put things in those rooms.😜

• Like 9

1 hour ago, mama25angels said:

Good morning ladies, I'm baaack!  Did you miss me?  I had a wonderful, wonderful Christmas holiday and I'm looking forward to New Years.  How is everyone?  Is anyone going to do a word for the year?  I have so much I want to accomplish this year, I really should be writing it down because keeping it in my head never works, lol!

Angi, have a great day at work!

I’m glad you had a great Christmas!! 

A couple years ago I did a word for the year. But I can’t remember what it was.🙄 I also did a bird for the year. That one ended up being a humming bird.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

How do you do a word / bird for the year?  Do you pick a weird word like anguilliform?

Krissi, I vaguely remember you having a word of the year but I don’t remember what is was either. 

I think your word is supposed to be something like “joy” or “hope” or”perseverance “.  The bird.... as soon as you wake up New  Year’s morning, you look out the window and the first bird you see is your bird of the year. And I have no idea what you are supposed to do with that. Write it down. Buy a tee-shirt. Something.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

My bird of the year would be a cardinal or a hawk.  Not many other options for around here in January.

We're at the in-laws getting ready to go out and shop some of the after Christmas sales.  The kids think we need more newer ornaments.  When oldest dd was a kid, every year we used to go to a place that had an amazing selection of ornaments.  Everything theme you could imagine.  So our tree has a TON of dance themed ornaments.  That place no longer sells as many ornaments since they redid half the space for a Santa Claus visiting area.   A couple years ago we made ornaments by gluing string to small toys that matched the kids interests (Minecraft, Pokemon, Frozen, etc.) and we have a few they made when younger.  But they want some more.  We'll see what we can find.

My cold has moved from my nose to my throat.  Typically pattern for me - from nose, to throat, to chest, to done.   Dh wants to visit his niece today. They have cats.  Spending time today with one of my worst allergy triggers is not going to help me feel better.   I don't have an inhaler with me so I just hope it's not too bad.

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

Second bad night in a row but animals don’t care. They got me up anyway. I wasn’t feeling well yesterday but still had a wonderful Christmas partly because I gave myself permission not to push myself. But today it is back to pushing (which I have to do to keep from sliding rather quickly back into semi-invalid status.)

• Like 2
  • Sad 6