Menu

Ignore this thread!

Just now, Slache said:

What if you had to pick one? I'm leaning towards the Petersons because we can look ahead for traveling and I've seen them recommended before. But the Oregon ones would also be cool.

Probably the Peterson's then.  But I got mine used either at a thrift store or the homeschool consignment shop.  It's not like flowers change.  (Well, unless one goes extinct, I suppose.) 

• Like 1

Happy Anniversary Krissi and Mr. Krissi!  

Yay for Mr. Paige's job!!

Yay for Tech Support's car (keeping fingers crossed!)

Yay for cute kid pictures and feeling better!

Boo for kids talking during testing!

Boo for something that farts that I didn't click on.

(I feel like I forgot something....)

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

I searched for field guides and found a book on how all different kinds of animals fart.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

EdPo

Reported

copy that!

Ten-4!

Do y’all think it would be too confusing to do 3 days of SotW with both girls and then 2 days of California history with oldest DD. I would love to do the whole year of California history with both... but 4th grade is the year we are supposed to do it. And younger DD will be a 2nd grader, albeit an older (October Birthday) and somewhat precocious 2nd grader. AlthOugh I could do it next year with the girls as 3rd and 5th graders, I suppose. I don’t know..... it wouldn’t make  difference if I wasn’t with this charter, but now I have rules to follow.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

What she said.

• Thanks 1

Another day of editing, tending the animals, keeping water iced, watering plants, etc. I miss my kids, but I'm marginally glad they are elsewhere this week. I've been so tired that the one load of laundry and one load of dishes I do per day feels like too much. And I've been out of the house so much nothing has been organized. I had such plans...

• Like 6

Oldest (finally) finished up his Physics class with Derek Owen and received a nice commendation in his grade report with his final grade. It was a great touch—totally a surprise—and I assume, standard?

Can someone else who has taken classes with him comment on this? I want to understand this in the proper light, iykwim. 

• Like 2

DH and I are back from dinner. We ate at this fancy schmancy restaurant. Well, it’s weird, because the food is pretty fancy schmancy, but people come in shorts and flip flops. There are no substitutions and no salt and pepper shakers or any other condiments on the table. And they use local, farm-grown ingredients. I had mahi-mahi and risotto with some kind of sauce. It was really really good.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Oldest (finally) finished up his Physics class with Derek Owen and received a nice commendation in his grade report with his final grade. It was a great touch—totally a surprise—and I assume, standard?

Can someone else who has taken classes with him comment on this? I want to understand this in the proper light, iykwim. 

We did that class. I don’t remember a special commendation. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slache said:

Is there any reason not to let John read Brother Andrew? He's his favorite missionary and I'd like to just hand the book over without having to worry about it.

What do you think could possibly be in there that would be problematic?

Good Morning Saturday!  COFFEE!

Krissi, I think either way with the history will be fine.  Will history every day feel like too much (if you do 3 days of SOTW and 2 of California)?  WIll the charter care if you do it with them at 3rd and 5th grades?  If not, I might do that.  Either way I think it's fine - whatever appeals to you.

prairie - one of mine took math from DO the last two years.  He got a brief commendation from DO with his grade report this year, but not last year fwiw.  

Critter - I also have done none of my great plans while peeps were gone.  Oh well.  No guilt!  I'm not even caught up on laundry before they descend on us tonight with all of theirs.  (Very bad planning on my part, lol.)

Paradox - congrats on your automobile graduation.  I will be one of those weird people who drive a minivan into their 70s (I hope!) because I have yet to see an SUV I like as much as my van.  :biggrin:  

• Like 3

Good morning!

I have been working on the preschool Sunday School lesson in bed.  

Lynn, I have a great appreciation for your coffee poetry!  Your latest has been added to the "Coffee Poetry" section of the ITT document.

Paradox, I was thinking about vehicle downsizing just yesterday.  My current ride (:biggrin:) is a Ford E350 12 passenger van.  It's super nice for cross-country trips and boy scout trips and etc. But one of these days...

Coffee!

• Like 5

Good Morning!!

COFFEE!!L~D

Saturday!!!

I woke up early. I was cold and had to pee. Two things that do not contribute to sleeping in. So, I got up. At least it’s quiet. The kids are all still sleeping.

Gotta do yardwork and go to The Afsa today and get ready for the shindig tomorrow. It would be a hootenanny, but Moonshine won’t be on the menu.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ikslo said:

In-laws come today.  The house is a disaster.  I don’t really care.

Krissi, I like your history plan.

COFFEE!

2 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

Good Morning Saturday!  COFFEE!

Krissi, I think either way with the history will be fine.  Will history every day feel like too much (if you do 3 days of SOTW and 2 of California)?  WIll the charter care if you do it with them at 3rd and 5th grades?  If not, I might do that.  Either way I think it's fine - whatever appeals to you.

I think I will do it with them both next year as 3rd and 5th graders. I emailed my teacher and she said the requirements are pretty loose, and then referred me to the “I Can” statements she’s emailed me a while back, but I disregarded because i’m Thinking, “seriously?? Focusing on just one of those will take me the entire school year. Here’s one, “Students describe the social, political, cultural  and economic life and interactions of the people of California from the pre-Columbian societies to the Spanish mission and Mexican Rancho period.” That could be someone’s graduate thesis,  And that’s just one of a whole list of many things a 4th grader is expected to do for history in the first quarter of the year.

• Confused 2

8 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

I think this thread is going for the "Longest Running and Most Random Thoughts" award.

My husband bought me a new Ford Explorer 2 weeks ago. It is NOT a minivan! I feel like I have graduated after 20+ years of driving one. Everyone hum Pomp and Circumstance with me.

My 2006 Sienna went to a friend. I'm happy we could bless them with something they needed. I still cried when "he" was driven off. So many memories.

Yay!!! When I get rid of my mini-van I always thought I wanted a big ol’ sedan. Like a New Yorker or something. Do they still make those? I love those cars.

Edit to add: i just looked it up. Apparently what I want is no longer being made. Sigh!

• Sad 1

56 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

I think I will do it with them both next year as 3rd and 5th graders. I emailed my teacher and she said the requirements are pretty loose, and then referred me to the “I Can” statements she’s emailed me a while back, but I disregarded because i’m Thinking, “seriously?? Focusing on just one of those will take me the entire school year. Here’s one, “Students describe the social, political, cultural  and economic life and interactions of the people of California from the pre-Columbian societies to the Spanish mission and Mexican Rancho period.” That could be someone’s graduate thesis,  And that’s just one of a whole list of many things a 4th grader is expected to do for history in the first quarter of the year.

Goodness.

I couldn’t do that.  But I can tell you a heck of a lot about the Pilgrims!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Good morning.

Krissi - those instructional objectives always look so much more complicated than the reality of what is taught.

"Determine the meaning of words and phrases as they are used in a text, including vocabulary specific to domains related to history/social studies. "  - really means "know what the history book is saying."

• Like 5

We are having an overnight guest tonight.  A 20 year old young man who none of us has ever met.  He is one of ds' internet friends.  They are going camping for a week.  Like Ikslo, my house is a mess and I don't care.  I am working on it but I can only do what I can do.  But I do hope that when ds meets the young man at the plane that he isn't surprised by a middle aged man in his underwear. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, KrissiK said:

o_0

This is just one reason that I couldn't do a charter school. Or any other "school."

• Like 3

2 hours ago, KrissiK said:

Here’s one, “Students describe the social, political, cultural  and economic life and interactions of the people of California from the pre-Columbian societies to the Spanish mission and Mexican Rancho period.” That could be someone’s graduate thesis,  And that’s just one of a whole list of many things a 4th grader is expected to do for history in the first quarter of the year.

Find one good picture book. Dye creation for textile goods in the Mexican Rancho period could be someone’s graduate thesis... Think big sweeping trends and just move forward.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Find one good picture book. Dye creation for textile goods in the Mexican Rancho period could be someone’s graduate thesis... Think big sweeping trends and just move forward.

This exactly. You really don't need to go in depth.

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Good morning.

Krissi - those instructional objectives always look so much more complicated than the reality of what is taught.

"Determine the meaning of words and phrases as they are used in a text, including vocabulary specific to domains related to history/social studies. "  - really means "know what the history book is saying."

59 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Yeah, I know.... but still. It’s the principle of the whole thing. (I sound like Ove) I’ve got a ton of California history resources that are awesome. But just tell me I gotta study the California Indians. And know about Father Serra and the Missions. Don’t couch it in a bunch of edu-speak.

• Like 4

Mr. Ellie was out of town last night, and he won't be home tonight until 7ish.

me: I should call a friend and have dinner, because poor me, none of my tribe lives close by, and maybe this will help build my local tribe.

also me: stays home in jammies and watches Harry Potter because it's just easier

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2