Menu

Ignore this thread!

One week from today, Mr. Ellie and I will be on a plane headed to Seattle to visit older dd. Then on Saturday we'll be on a plane to Sacramento (and rent a car and drive four hours south) headed to younger dd. :-)

We're going to Magic Mountain on Monday, July 2. Anyone want to meet up?

• Like 6

I've been feeding the laundry monster all morning but Mt. Washmore does not seem to be shrinking as the kids keep bringing me piles of dirty clothes from their room.  We're still digging out from last week.

Do you remember when I planted seeds back in May? None of my lavender seeds grew.  I have a bunch of tiny seedlings in my daisy pot, but I'm not sure if they are going to grow into daisy plants or if they are volunteer weeds.  I ended up buying some herbs on Saturday, including three lavenders: a french, an english, and a Spanish......Does anyone have any good name suggestions? I'm leaning towards Marie, Mary, and Maria, but only because it's one of the few names with different spellings in each language that I know of.  I need a good greek male name too---picked up some good varieties of oregano.

• Like 3

Break time! So far I have:

• Slept in
  • Bibled
  • Morning timed
  • Worked out
  • Sifted through John's old clothing to find Alex a new wardrobe

I'd still like to:

• Swim the kids
  • Clean out the art cabinet
  • Clean out the bookshelf (just because a book is free does not mean you need to order it!)
  • Organize the closet

I think that's too ambitious. We'll see. I'm tired. I started a fiction book last night and I'm moving CM Companion to my nightstand. I haven't gotten much done but I'm taking care of me and I've come last a lot lately.

Eta: That sounded bad. I have only had the energy to meet basic needs, meaning the kids come first and then I go to bed. Matt has been great. Mostly.

• Like 5

I dropped the girls off at fiddle camp and shopped at Aldi, brought groceries home and went to pick up the girls.  Got to hear the last bit of their "end of day" jam session. They had a blast.  They even have kids on banjo and bass!  So much fun!  Came home, did more kitchen work, got dinner started, put away more stuff, cleaned the stove.  I need to get the root beer spices simmering and blue cheese dressing made.  

The girls had rice pudding and dried mangos for lunch.  Dinner is chicken & mushroom Tikka Masala with rice and green beans.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Slache said:

But don't you get it out now?

Nope.  It's too far away. ?

I'll get it out in a few minutes when I go downstairs to start dinner.

ETA:  I just re-read your question.  I don't usually get it out until 9:00 when the kids go to bed.  Then I inject it sometime before I go to bed.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Slache said:

And all Kanji is native?

Yes.  In the sense that while it was borrowed from China many years ago, it is used for Japanese words.  Having said that, it is possible to write foreign words like "America" in Kanji by using a sound correlation but it is not a normal thing to do and I think that most Japanese would be very confused.  Now technically the On reading for kanji is the "Chinese" way of pronouncing it even though modern Chinese might no longer pronounce it the same way.  The On readings are usually used in compound kanji words sort of like prefixes and suffixes.  The Kun readings are used for stand alone kanji or for when the kanji is just followed by some hiragana for grammatical purposes.  Clear as mud?  (This is sort of like how we have words in English that came with French and others came from Anglo Saxon - only in Japanese they share the same characters.)

Most (if  not all) kanji dictionaries and learning systems will include both On and Kun readings and will have sample words that show how the On prefixes/suffixes work (borrowing our word here just for the sake of explanation) and showing what the Kun reading looks like with hiragana attached.  Not all will have the original pictograph and explanation included like in the video you linked though some will. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KrissiK said:

Day one of VBS complete. It was fine. I just get irritated at disorganization. And since i’m Not willing to be in charge..... I have to do a lot of gritting my teeth.

I feel the same way, especially if I am having to work in the midst of it all.  If I'm just dropping my kids off, I can close my eyes and drift off to la la land.  ?

1 minute ago, Susan in TN said:

Dd11 just told us that when she has been sitting for a while and stands up, her vision goes all gray and tunnelly for a few seconds.  Is that low blood pressure?

Probably

Just now, Susan in TN said:

She is more concerned about her left foot being an inch longer than her right foot.  :laugh:

My DD had surgery for that. 

Baby had a thing yesterday. We were at a restaurant and I gave him a few bites of my grits from shrimp and grits. After about 3 bites, his face turned bright red, his eyes got bloodshot, and he started obsessively rubbing his face, and got a little upset. I quit feeding him any and wiped his hands and face, and within 3min or so he was fine and all the redness and blotchy spots receded. That's an allergic type reaction, right? He'd had corn related stuff before and had no problem. My grandmother was highly allergic to shellfish so maybe it was the shrimp even if he didn't actually eat any?

19 minutes ago, Paige said:

Probably

My DD had surgery for that. 

16 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Yes.

So I should put her on a high salt, high stress diet?  :wacko:

11 minutes ago, Paige said:

Actually DD had surgery because her leg was an inch shorter not her foot. Her foot, though....you all would not believe it. It's about 3 sizes smaller than the other. At least. It's so bad it amuses me way too much.

What do you do for shoes?  So far, dd can get away with shoes the same size, I think, maybe?

13 minutes ago, Paige said:

Baby had a thing yesterday. We were at a restaurant and I gave him a few bites of my grits from shrimp and grits. After about 3 bites, his face turned bright red, his eyes got bloodshot, and he started obsessively rubbing his face, and got a little upset. I quit feeding him any and wiped his hands and face, and within 3min or so he was fine and all the redness and blotchy spots receded. That's an allergic type reaction, right? He'd had corn related stuff before and had no problem. My grandmother was highly allergic to shellfish so maybe it was the shrimp even if he didn't actually eat any?

Yeah, I'd keep babiness far, far away from shellfish.  Poor guy!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Paige said:

That would trigger allergy alarm bells for me.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Paige said:

Actually DD had surgery because her leg was an inch shorter not her foot. Her foot, though....you all would not believe it. It's about 3 sizes smaller than the other. At least. It's so bad it amuses me way too much.

The Facebook group CHASA has been so helpful to our family that I share it every chance I get - for people with 2 different-sized feet (so that you buy 2 pairs every time), you can post your "other shoes" on this website in the hopes that you will find a "sole mate" out there who has your other-sized feet. *grin* 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Lucy the Valiant said:

The Facebook group CHASA has been so helpful to our family that I share it every chance I get - for people with 2 different-sized feet (so that you buy 2 pairs every time), you can post your "other shoes" on this website in the hopes that you will find a "sole mate" out there who has your other-sized feet. *grin* 

I wish I had known about this when dd was still alive.  It really sucked having to buy two pairs of expensive shoes, but her KAFOs bumped her up a size.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lucy the Valiant said:

That is so wonderful!  Sole mate.  :wub:

• Like 2

16 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I wish I had known about this when dd was still alive.  It really sucked having to buy two pairs of expensive shoes, but her KAFOs bumped her up a size.

Yes! We have a little person in this house who wears *one* AFO. And the only shoes wide enough to accommodate those are $$$$. 

ETA: Oh! Now I get it! BOOYAH! (My first one - and an AFO BOOYAH at that! Perfect as we are getting a brand new one next week. ? In camo, of course.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Slache said:
  • Swim the kids
  • Clean out the art cabinet
  • Clean out the bookshelf (just because a book is free does not mean you need to order it!)
  • Organize the closet

And I got a head start on the bookshelf.

4 hours ago, Slache said:

Or maybe I'll just do nothing the rest of the day...

Now I'm doing this.

3 hours ago, Slache said:

I'm pretty sure Alex ate a large portion of our play doh.

It was a watercolor crayon. Non toxic.

3 hours ago, myblessings4 said:

We really, really, really, really, really liked the movie!!

What movie?

3 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Yes.  In the sense that while it was borrowed from China many years ago, it is used for Japanese words.  Having said that, it is possible to write foreign words like "America" in Kanji by using a sound correlation but it is not a normal thing to do and I think that most Japanese would be very confused.  Now technically the On reading for kanji is the "Chinese" way of pronouncing it even though modern Chinese might no longer pronounce it the same way.  The On readings are usually used in compound kanji words sort of like prefixes and suffixes.  The Kun readings are used for stand alone kanji or for when the kanji is just followed by some hiragana for grammatical purposes.  Clear as mud?  (This is sort of like how we have words in English that came with French and others came from Anglo Saxon - only in Japanese they share the same characters.)

Most (if  not all) kanji dictionaries and learning systems will include both On and Kun readings and will have sample words that show how the On prefixes/suffixes work (borrowing our word here just for the sake of explanation) and showing what the Kun reading looks like with hiragana attached.  Not all will have the original pictograph and explanation included like in the video you linked though some will. 

I knew like half of this! Go me.

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Mom is on a roll.

"He has LSD"

"ALS, Mom.  He has ALS."

She is very sharp except when it comes to Alphabet Soup! 

I want LSD.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I just heard that a dear friend of ours (same age as us) has had a severe stroke. His daughter's wedding is scheduled for July. If you guys would remember the B family in your prayers, I'd appreciate it. 

Praying.

1 hour ago, Paige said:

(((Baby)))