Menu

Ignore this thread!

Ikslo, 

stick with chemistry because he's interested. Do experiments outside. Can't help with the allergies - start planning now. (#felpful)

will he like art history?  A lot of people like history of US unless they disagree with author bias. Might as well give it a shot. There's no good US spine out there. 

(#morefelpful)

• Like 1

Hi. Third sleep. Feeling better. Hot.

1 hour ago, ikslo said:

We have tons of Chemistry stuff.  It’s a matter of what will be packed/available and what we can do within the limits of “not our house.”  

Also, many kitchen chemistry activities invariably use ingredients to which he is allergic.  So too much effort on my part to find work arounds.

ETA:  I don’t mean to sound down on your ideas, Slache.  They are actually helping me think through all this.  Keep throwing them out there!

I like telling more experience people what to do so they can tell me why I'm wrong. True story. ?

1 hour ago, ikslo said:

What about a year of Art History?  Hmmmm.  I majored in it, after all.  Then I can push this what to do about history decision off for another year.

Will he like that? Sounds awesome! 

1 hour ago, Tsuga said:

For science, environmental science is always really fun and ties in with biology AND chemistry and you can do it outdoors. What about Earth Science: Applied Terrestrial and Extraterrestrial Agronomy, and you spend all year learning about plants and weather and growing stuff in weird conditions? That's what I would do if my kid would agree to homeschooling next year.

Oooo. Purty.

1 hour ago, ikslo said:

I wish we could do anatomy/dissections every year.  Lol

Do it!

1 hour ago, Junie said:

Tonight's dinner:

Steak

Potatoes

Green Beans

Salad

Fried Apples

I also made hard-boiled eggs and prepped blueberries and strawberries for tomorrow's breakfast.

And Embrel.

49 minutes ago, ikslo said:

What do you call a cow with no legs?

Ground beef.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

36 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

Editing. I finished my housekeeping and cooking and school for the day. I'm fixing to do a spot of weed-eating. But I don't feel like I accomplished much today.

I think you're doing just fine.  Tell that critical voice in your head to quiet down and ease up on a body.

• Like 4

I thought it was Embrel. For like evs.

No meatloaf. ?

I haven't Tai Chi'd yet.

Matt wants us to study theology together. I don't like studying theology with Matt. I don't really like studying anything with Matt. He's... passionate? I am not. Especially about politics. Gug. Opposites attract and are then irritated by eachother until death.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Slache said:

I thought it was Embrel. For like evs.

No meatloaf. ?

I haven't Tai Chi'd yet.

Matt wants us to study theology together. I don't like studying theology with Matt. I don't really like studying anything with Matt. He's... passionate? I am not. Especially about politics. Gug. Opposites attract and are then irritated by eachother until death.

Every time I have to give my list of meds, the nurses always call it Embrel.  It's a common mistake.

• Like 1

Weed-eating done. There is one more section to do, but I am beat. I almost decapitated a turtle. (Not one of my Turtles) Poor guy. And he was entertaining a lady turtle too. I don't think she had a clue I was there. But I got the male's nose. I checked on him about ten times. He has quit bleeding and seems okay. I hope he hangs around so I can watch him, but I wouldn't blame him if he ran for his chelonian life. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Slache said:

. Opposites attract and are then irritated by eachother until death.

This is what dd19's developmental psyche professor said.

27 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

MIL had a heart attack and stroke. She opens her eyes and turns towards my voice but is otherwise unresponsive. The stupid thing is that by admitting her to the hospital she gets kicked off of hospice and will have to be reput on it. (Reput looks funny but I am too tired to figure out the correct words. ). 

(((Jean & Mr. Jean & MIL)))  Praying for you all and that you can get the needed support without too much hassle.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

MIL had a heart attack and stroke. She opens her eyes and turns towards my voice but is otherwise unresponsive. The stupid thing is that by admitting her to the hospital she gets kicked off of hospice and will have to be reput on it. (Reput looks funny but I am too tired to figure out the correct words. ). 

The paperwork hassle for re-placement isn’t too bad, IME. It happens more often than one would think. I think we should all go to single payor, and I chalk situations like this up as yet another reason why.... but dd went back and forth in and out of hospice without issue when we left to do a long shot drug study through NIH. It was literally 3 signatures and we all moved on.

I am sorry—on so many levels. Dying can be hard work for some...and no one really has the right words for when the process takes months and years. And not everyone is always on the same page on what is dying and what is just normal old age issues and that is hard too. 

We are in the middle of this too—the in between grey space. It’s a hard place to be. Much love to you and yours...

• Like 3

I am home with the kids. Dh should be home within the hour. I don’t know if MIL will survive the hospital this time. She tends to rebound a bit at home (assisted living). The practicalities of death are that we got to see her now “just in case”. We have been in a gray area with her for a couple of years now with some steady decline. 

• Sad 5

1 minute ago, Junie said:

Slache, how long is your Tai Chi workout?

There are two parts. The first part is gentle stretches and foam rolling as prep work, that's about 15 minutes. The second is learning the sequence which can be between 7 and 15 minutes. It is simple but not easy, low impact and gentle. 

10 minutes ago, Slache said:

There are two parts. The first part is gentle stretches and foam rolling as prep work, that's about 15 minutes. The second is learning the sequence which can be between 7 and 15 minutes. It is simple but not easy, low impact and gentle. 

Which form are you learning?

I mostly did a Yang form -- I'm looking to see if I can find the exact sequence I learned -- and I was beginning to learn the Sun form.

ETA:  And swords!  I almost forgot that we used swords!  :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Junie said:

Which form are you learning?

I mostly did a Yang form -- I'm looking to see if I can find the exact sequence I learned -- and I was beginning to learn the Sun form.

ETA:  And swords!  I almost forgot that we used swords!  ?

It's not technically a tai chi workout, it's just too long to explain each time so I call it that.

https://www.beachbody.com/product/fitness_programs/tai-cheng-workout.do

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ikslo said:

What science subject mastery test?  #confused

can you plan the lessons for me?   Okay thanks!  I’ll need them by August, lol.

I could plan a few. How many days do you do science?

Our schools.have subject tests at some point. I forget when. I don't know if homeschoolers have to take them. Point is, you don't have to teach one curriculum to prepare for the test.

5 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I'm so sorry. Also, what a ridiculous rule about re-applying for hospice. In what situation are you in hospice, then go to the hospital, and when you get out, you no longer need hospice care?

18 minutes ago, Tsuga said:

I'm so sorry. Also, what a ridiculous rule about re-applying for hospice. In what situation are you in hospice, then go to the hospital, and when you get out, you no longer need hospice care?

Yeah.  It's some kind of a red tape thing.  We might actually end up with a different hospice provider - whichever one has the quickest turnaround.  What this does, in combination with some of the games that the assisted living place is playing, is keep MIL in the hospital longer than we want because she can't be released from the hospital without certain things in place for her comfort and well being.  I realize that it is common but it is still frustrating. 

Well it's a red tape booyah! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 2

5 hours ago, Tsuga said:

I could plan a few. How many days do you do science?

Our schools.have subject tests at some point. I forget when. I don't know if homeschoolers have to take them. Point is, you don't have to teach one curriculum to prepare for the test.

I was kidding.  Thanks for the offer, though.  

• Like 2

Good morning!

My replacement backpack came yesterday and it does not fit. Too big.  So it's back to REI today.  Our local store is having an anniversary sale starting Friday, so if I find a pack or two that work well, I might be able to get it on sale this weekend.

I woke up way too early.

Did you get any sleep, Jean?

coffee.

• Like 3

Hugs to all y'all.  I KNOW there have been things going on and I hope all works out well for everyone and everyone stays safe, what with the weather and all.

I have been away from my computer and my desk for a bit, and even away from my phone and texting periodically, so I am behind and not going to try to catch up.  Dad has a week this week in which he doesn't have any medical appointments (yay!), but there are still plenty of other things going on, AND I decided it is high time we updated his medical power of attorney and got him a state-issued photo id.  Yesterday we took care of the medical POA, medical directives, and out-of-hospital DNR.  He tried to put that off until today (because Mondays are his "bad" days), but I told him no, it had to be Monday.  (We had discussed that last week, but he didn't remember.)  Friday we will visit the DMV.

DD13's last ballet class is today, and the class will put on a small performance for any family showing up -- it will be during the last 15 minutes of the class period.  I really like these daytime homeschool ballet classes, as does DD13.  No pressure for older newbies, no expensive costumes or late night recitals, no conflict with other evening activities.

To do today:

• visit website for DMV supercenter to see if I can book an appointed time in advance (DH thinks so)
  • contact school counselor again to ask for more hand-holding level of help getting DD13 registered for fall (because I keep forgetting what must get done when, since my brain is stuck in Dad mode)
  • go get some blood drawn for a CBC my new PCP wants (the only blood work she wanted that my endo hadn't already done)
  • review and coordinate all calendars
  • contact Dad's accountant about the IRS letter's request
  • make sure my camera is ready to shoot video of DD13's class's dance
  • get some walking in
  • hopefully get to yoga this evening
  • make photocopies of Dad's newly signed forms, plus scan them into the digital files
  • get a little non-think time so perhaps some of the scattered thoughts will come back to roost again (walking and yoga would help with this, but so would sitting in the sunshine)

I hope everyone has a good day!

• Like 7

Ikslo, my DS took science with an online teacher in middle school. He loved that class! She also offers some writing and English. Let me know if you want her info. They have live classes with homework assignments. DS took her at the same time as he was doing AOPS and Lukeion and said her class was the most fun. It was a nice class but the work load was not as intense as the other two providers!The classes vary every year, but this year she has Evolution, Forensic Science, Global Nutrition, Environmental Science, Ecology, and Anatomy and Physiology. I think DS took Genetics. 

• Like 4

I can't move my arms. No heavy lifting for me today, nope! 

I got up and got out in the pen with the shears, and trimmed everything down first with shears, looking for turtles. Found one and relocated her. Then I fired up the weed-eater and finished the work from yesterday. Whilst trimming the sumac outside the chicken house door, I accidentally cut the fan cord. So I had to find a new extension cord and get that set up. Then the chicken house was dirty, so I cleaned it. Now I'm stiff, sore and filthy and have some new blisters that popped. I have earned my morning cup of tea and a hot shower.

And I still have beans to plant. Better do that, but not until I finish my tea.

• Like 3

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!~D

Tuesday!!

i hate Tuesdays. Too busy trying to get everything ready and get DS1 down to the semi-Big City to the South for tutoring. However, it does give me a couple hours while i’m There to go to Costco or Home Depot or something. Tonight I will go to Costco.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Critterfixer said:

I am going to attempt yard work if I manage dog walk. My arms and shoulders are complaining loudly this morning. 

That’s not good. I hope they feel better soon!

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

Good morning!

My replacement backpack came yesterday and it does not fit. Too big.  So it's back to REI today.  Our local store is having an anniversary sale starting Friday, so if I find a pack or two that work well, I might be able to get it on sale this weekend.

I woke up way too early.

Did you get any sleep, Jean?

coffee.

Boo for backpacks not fitting and waking up too early. Hope you can get a good deal this weekend.

1 hour ago, Another Lynn said:

I was up from 2:30 - 3:30.  :dry:

No!!!!

1 hour ago, whitehawk said:

Me too. ?

((Jean))

Coffee!

Boo on insomnia!!

• Like 3