Menu

Ignore this thread!

26 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

I can't move my arms. No heavy lifting for me today, nope! 

I got up and got out in the pen with the shears, and trimmed everything down first with shears, looking for turtles. Found one and relocated her. Then I fired up the weed-eater and finished the work from yesterday. Whilst trimming the sumac outside the chicken house door, I accidentally cut the fan cord. So I had to find a new extension cord and get that set up. Then the chicken house was dirty, so I cleaned it. Now I'm stiff, sore and filthy and have some new blisters that popped. I have earned my morning cup of tea and a hot shower.

And I still have beans to plant. Better do that, but not until I finish my tea.

Critter is like the Army.  She does more before 6am than we do all day long!  :laugh:

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

I promise that I am not being a drama queen. I got violently ill in the night with the one pain reliever that I am allowed. (I am allergic to a whole class of pain relievers and also take meds that cause my body to react to pain relievers. ).

I knew that I was pushing it because I have been taking these pain meds for one week straight. But I haven’t been able to get into the doc who keeps me functional and mobile for the past month because of everything going on. My plan on Monday had been to ask to be shoehorned into his schedule but the stuff with MIL meant that I put it off one day. But now I am too sick to drive. So plan C. Ds gets the car. I go cold turkey off the meds (not a problem except for the continuing pain problem.). Maybe I will be well enough to get into the doc tomorrow. 

I have been here been here before and que sera sera. But it kind of sucks. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 7

1 hour ago, AMJ said:

Hugs to all y'all.  I KNOW there have been things going on and I hope all works out well for everyone and everyone stays safe, what with the weather and all.

I have been away from my computer and my desk for a bit, and even away from my phone and texting periodically, so I am behind and not going to try to catch up.  Dad has a week this week in which he doesn't have any medical appointments (yay!), but there are still plenty of other things going on, AND I decided it is high time we updated his medical power of attorney and got him a state-issued photo id.  Yesterday we took care of the medical POA, medical directives, and out-of-hospital DNR.  He tried to put that off until today (because Mondays are his "bad" days), but I told him no, it had to be Monday.  (We had discussed that last week, but he didn't remember.)  Friday we will visit the DMV.

DD13's last ballet class is today, and the class will put on a small performance for any family showing up -- it will be during the last 15 minutes of the class period.  I really like these daytime homeschool ballet classes, as does DD13.  No pressure for older newbies, no expensive costumes or late night recitals, no conflict with other evening activities.

To do today:

• visit website for DMV supercenter to see if I can book an appointed time in advance (DH thinks so)
  • contact school counselor again to ask for more hand-holding level of help getting DD13 registered for fall (because I keep forgetting what must get done when, since my brain is stuck in Dad mode)
  • go get some blood drawn for a CBC my new PCP wants (the only blood work she wanted that my endo hadn't already done)
  • review and coordinate all calendars
  • contact Dad's accountant about the IRS letter's request
  • make sure my camera is ready to shoot video of DD13's class's dance
  • get some walking in
  • hopefully get to yoga this evening
  • make photocopies of Dad's newly signed forms, plus scan them into the digital files
  • get a little non-think time so perhaps some of the scattered thoughts will come back to roost again (walking and yoga would help with this, but so would sitting in the sunshine)

I hope everyone has a good day!

I got my blood drawn, stopped by the grocery store for butter and cornstarch (DD13 used ours up yesterday), reassured FIL that he can put his two larger dogs in our backyard during DD13's ballet performance, and caught up (at least on reading) ITText.  After getting back home I moved some logs in front of weak spots on our fence, put out a bowl of water for the dogs, and fielded a phone call (while moving wood).

Oh yeah, I checked and my camera is ready enough.

See?  When I check in on ITT my brain starts functioning again and I actually get stuff recognizably done....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

I can't move my arms. No heavy lifting for me today, nope! 

I got up and got out in the pen with the shears, and trimmed everything down first with shears, looking for turtles. Found one and relocated her. Then I fired up the weed-eater and finished the work from yesterday. Whilst trimming the sumac outside the chicken house door, I accidentally cut the fan cord. So I had to find a new extension cord and get that set up. Then the chicken house was dirty, so I cleaned it. Now I'm stiff, sore and filthy and have some new blisters that popped. I have earned my morning cup of tea and a hot shower.

And I still have beans to plant. Better do that, but not until I finish my tea.

You have worked hard and well this morning.  Take the time to enjoy that tea.  And the shower.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

Critter is like the Army.  She does more before 6am than we do all day long!  :laugh:

:laugh:That would be DH, laughing. I hate being up early in the morning with a passion. But I had to do that work before the chickens were out. I didn't want to throw dirt, rocks and weeds into their eyes, so I had to trim before they came out for the day. 

All the chickens were most attentive to the planting of the runner beans. Mostly because they know if I find a grub, I will toss it their way. No grubs this morning.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

I need to start getting up earlier and doing stuff while the morning is still cool(ish).  These mid-90s temps all last week and this week are already killing me!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, AMJ said:

You have worked hard and well this morning.  Take the time to enjoy that tea.  And the shower.

I did...it was wonderful. 

The boys are out planting pumpkins and watermelons. There is considerable grousing that not all varieties will be planted this year. Lordy, Turtles, if we wanted room for everything we'd like to plant, we'd need ten acres in cultivation and a cab and air to till it with, and one of those irrigation wheels

Not happening.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I promise that I am not being a drama queen. I got violently ill in the night with the one pain reliever that I am allowed. (I am allergic to a whole class of pain relievers and also take meds that cause my body to react to pain relievers. ).

I knew that I was pushing it because I have been taking these pain meds for one week straight. But I haven’t been able to get into the doc who keeps me functional and mobile for the past month because of everything going on. My plan on Monday had been to ask to be shoehorned into his schedule but the stuff with MIL meant that I put it off one day. But now I am too sick to drive. So plan C. Ds gets the car. I go cold turkey off the meds (not a problem except for the continuing pain problem.). Maybe I will be well enough to get into the doc tomorrow. 

Rodrigo!!!!  Get your butt out to Newcastle and help Jean get to her doctor!

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, AMJ said:

I need to start getting up earlier and doing stuff while the morning is still cool(ish).  These mid-90s temps all last week and this week are already killing me!

The month of May is not playing fair. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I hope you feel better soon, Jean. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

Critter, I have more chicken questions, if you care to answer.  If not, I won't be offended.

My chickens are approximately 20-24ish weeks.  4 chickens and one Bantam, who is older than that.  Bantam has been laying for weeks, and one chicken started laying yesterday.

I thought their feed bag would run out faster, and bought another bag of chick starter/grower feed.  Should I go exchange it, or just go ahead and give it to them?  Or buy a bag of regular and mix them?

Second, I accidentally bought chick grit instead of poultry grit.  Should I switch now, or finish it off, or (so I don't waste it) buy poultry grit and mix them?

Third, I feed only in the evening.  I fill the feeder and they eat before we put them in the coop at night.  I don't put the feeder in the coop, just water.  There's always some feed in the bottom bowl of the feeder the next evening when I go to feed again, although they're yelling at me and following me at that point.  Do you think I'm feeding enough, or should we fill it twice daily?

Last, do I just keep grit sitting out in a bowl every day?  I've just been scattering it every once in a while.  They have our whole back yard, but not a lot of jiat dirt areas, mostly grassy.

Thank you!

Oh!  And my chickens haven't panted that I've seen, but it's in the 90's already.  Should I do something with ice?

I would probably feed out what you have, but when you get to a half-bag, start mixing in the laying crumbles. Same thing with your grit, I think. I feed free-choice because I have only laying varieties. If you have meat birds, feeding is more specific. My chickens will complain about food when they have food, so that's hard to judge. But I would probably give them a bite at breakfast too. They may need more with laying, but might back off feed with the heat. I keep grit in a bowl. I need to buy some more, too.

Fans are my go too for the birds in the summer, and in the heat of the day, a cool dirt bath is a blessing. I keep plastic soda bottles, fill them with water, and freeze them in the deep freeze. When it's hot, I put bottles in the water to cool it, and I will even put a few bottles on the floor to create little spots where it's cooler and they can gather. I have caught the heavier chickens actually sitting on the cool ice bottles when it's very hot. Yesterday, the birds got lightly thawed blueberries as an afternoon treat for the heat, but the dirt bath did the most good. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

Thank you!  Only laying hens here.  So, you just put water on a dirt spot til it's muddy?  We only have one or two such spots in the yard, but could do that.  I'll start freezing my bottles.  They, so far have just been huddling in the wood mulch under our little trees and plants.  They ate all the tomatoes off my one tomato plant, though.

A light mist if needed. But dirt that has been under mulch or trees will be cool as soon as they scratch it up. They will eat all your tomatoes given the chance. One of the favored plants for lying under here is okra. On the hottest days, you could always find the chickens in the okra tunnels.

ETA: This was before the aggressive hawks moved into the vicinity. But okra saved a chicken from the very first hawk attack we had. So it's good cover with those big leaves.

I think we are going to get some old hay-bales free for mulch purposes in about a week. Very glad about that. I've got a million spots that need something. Hay isn't perfect, and I'll have to fight weeds in it, too, but it beats wielding the hoe or buying another tiller.

• Like 2

Hibiscus makes a lovely place to dig. They scratch almost constantly. Once they have a favored dirt bath, you could always rake a little mulch over it, and let them dig it out in the morning to wallow in. That should keep it nice and cool.

1 hour ago, AMJ said:

I got my blood drawn, stopped by the grocery store for butter and cornstarch (DD13 used ours up yesterday), reassured FIL that he can put his two larger dogs in our backyard during DD13's ballet performance, and caught up (at least on reading) ITText.  After getting back home I moved some logs in front of weak spots on our fence, put out a bowl of water for the dogs, and fielded a phone call (while moving wood).

Oh yeah, I checked and my camera is ready enough.

See?  When I check in on ITT my brain starts functioning again and I actually get stuff recognizably done....

Go, AMJ!!! (Insert cheerleader)

• Like 4

2 hours ago, AMJ said:

Hugs to all y'all.  I KNOW there have been things going on and I hope all works out well for everyone and everyone stays safe, what with the weather and all.

I have been away from my computer and my desk for a bit, and even away from my phone and texting periodically, so I am behind and not going to try to catch up.  Dad has a week this week in which he doesn't have any medical appointments (yay!), but there are still plenty of other things going on, AND I decided it is high time we updated his medical power of attorney and got him a state-issued photo id.  Yesterday we took care of the medical POA, medical directives, and out-of-hospital DNR.  He tried to put that off until today (because Mondays are his "bad" days), but I told him no, it had to be Monday.  (We had discussed that last week, but he didn't remember.)  Friday we will visit the DMV.

DD13's last ballet class is today, and the class will put on a small performance for any family showing up -- it will be during the last 15 minutes of the class period.  I really like these daytime homeschool ballet classes, as does DD13.  No pressure for older newbies, no expensive costumes or late night recitals, no conflict with other evening activities.

To do today:

• visit website for DMV supercenter to see if I can book an appointed time in advance (DH thinks so)
  • contact school counselor again to ask for more hand-holding level of help getting DD13 registered for fall (because I keep forgetting what must get done when, since my brain is stuck in Dad mode)
  • go get some blood drawn for a CBC my new PCP wants (the only blood work she wanted that my endo hadn't already done)
  • contact Dad's accountant about the IRS letter's request -- left message
  • get some walking in
  • make photocopies of Dad's newly signed forms, plus scan them into the digital files
  • get a little non-think time so perhaps some of the scattered thoughts will come back to roost again (walking and yoga would help with this, but so would sitting in the sunshine)

I hope everyone has a good day!

As it turns out the DMV does have a way to "get in line online", but it is only good for the immediate day and only gives one the next spot "in line".  It can't be used to request an approximate appointment at a later date or time.

Hunting through papers pulled from Dad's Colorado place I did not find what I was looking for (not done yet, though), but I did find other interesting stuff from 1987 pertaining to my brother.  That sucked up half an hour before I realized what time it was.  I must be careful today, so we don't end up late anywhere.

• Like 1

To do today:

• contact Dad's accountant about the IRS letter's request -- left message
  • get some walking in

Also to be added to a must-do-soon list:

• "Book" Dad's bloodwork timeslot/date (it's drop-in, but I must get it on his calendar -- and mine -- on the appropriate day)
  • schedule the rest of MY appointments (this will be tight -- June is filling up)
  • schedule some appointments for the girls (when I can get time to take them)

Really trying to stay on top of some things!  *willy-nilly guy*

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

That's a big list, AMJ.

It is, but I am making some progress!  And after DD13's ballet today I can (hopefully) make more before Aikido.  Unless Grandma & Grandpa want us all to go out to lunch to celebrate after ballet....  It would be hard to say "No, let's not celebrate today".

• Like 2

A bite of elevenses, then putting up DD13's hair into her bun for the last time for a while.  It takes a while, but it looks good!  She has a LOT of hair....

• Like 2

Talked things over with dh. Dragged myself out of bed and into sone clothes so that I could drop Ds off at school and have the car for the morning. 

I have never done this (and hopefully won’t ever have to do it again) but I showed up at the doctors office as soon as they opened and got put on the schedule. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Talked things over with dh. Dragged myself out of bed and into sone clothes so that I could drop Ds off at school and have the car for the morning. 

I have never done this (and hopefully won’t ever have to do it again) but I showed up at the doctors office as soon as they opened and got put on the schedule. 

Glad you are being seen today.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paige said:

Ikslo, my DS took science with an online teacher in middle school. He loved that class! She also offers some writing and English. Let me know if you want her info. They have live classes with homework assignments. DS took her at the same time as he was doing AOPS and Lukeion and said her class was the most fun. It was a nice class but the work load was not as intense as the other two providers!The classes vary every year, but this year she has Evolution, Forensic Science, Global Nutrition, Environmental Science, Ecology, and Anatomy and Physiology. I think DS took Genetics. 

Sure.  I’ll take a look.

I went back to REI and tried on 7 million backpacks with weights and stuff in them and decided that I don't care if my clearance backpack doesn't fit the way it's "supposed" to fit.  It's more comfortable than all the ones I tried on today.  So I'm keeping it.  If it tries to kill me next week I'll return it via REI's awesome return policy.

I've made the master backpacking meal and snacks list and tomorrow will have to start putting them together with great ferver.  One dinner is Thai peanut chicken with rice or rice noodles - gluten free in honor of my gf ITT friends.  :smile:

Don't let me forget to take ds13 to the university to meet the cello professor tomorrow.  I'm afraid I will forget.

Bratwurst and sauerkraut for dinner tonight.

• Like 6

Tonight's dinner will be cold-cut subs.  The dc love to watch me try to eat my sandwich because I load it up and can hardly fit it into my mouth.  I like lots of toppings.  Meanwhile, some of the dc think that a few slices of salami and pepperoni on a roll is a sub.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Just now, Junie said:

My sub fell apart.  It was good, though.  ?

ham, turkey, bologna, salami, pepperoni, American cheese, lettuce, tomato, avocado, pickle, mild banana peppers, mayo, oregano, olive oil, black olives.

That’s quite the sub.

• Like 2