Menu

Ignore this thread!

20 hours ago, Critterfixer said:

I'm only half-kidding about that. My art friends and I were talking yesterday about how people easily become divorced from the reality of time, cost, and energy demanded for certain activities. I loved camping as a kid. I still love camping. But I got a first-hand experience as a young person in just what goes into planning the meals, taking care of the camp and seeing that nobody burns a hand, breaks a leg, or gets eaten by a bear, and it was eye-opening. I learned to plan, to pace myself, and how a nap in an armchair or in the tent at midday might be preferable to riding miles on a bike and then having to prepare dinner.

Knowing that there's cleanup and preparation involved in every "fun" event is a good thing to learn, IMO.

I have been preparing for our backpacking trip for 6 weeks. A lot involves figuring out how to make “Mountain House” type lightweight backpacking food because most of the brands of premade meals contain peppers and onions and make dh sick and are extremely expensive. 

20 hours ago, lanalouwho said:

They are responsible for cleaning up after themselves. But at their age, that still requires supervision and mental energy from me.

One of the main reasons I imposed the 30 day ban was because Weapon X knows all too well that "fun" requires a bit of cleanup. He would rather sit and stare at a wall until 4 pm (screen time) than do anything that might make a mess. He couldn't fathom staring at the wall for 30 days.

Time and mental energy!

19 hours ago, KrissiK said:

Mine are old enough to know to do it, but I still have to remind and inspect , and then inspect again. And again. And again.

I am bad at follow up. 

13 hours ago, Critterfixer said:

Sing a song of weekends,

Momma has to work,

Daddy's doing lawn things,

The boys are in the dirt,

Planting lots of sunflowers,

Tomatoes, peppers too,

Soon we'll have a garden full

Enough to make a stew.

:hurray:

7 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

(((Krissi))). You did nothing wrong. In fact, I think ENB maybe needs to pay a visit to the parking lot psycho.  Don't feel condemnation from someone else's rude behavior!!

You were within the lines. If she could get out, so can her kids. I drive a 12 passenger van and our kids have been well trained in getting out in 12” of space if I can’t find a parking spot in no-man’s land.  

• Like 4

Good morning!  

I am the only person awake here and it’s almost 8:00!

Kittehs!

Lynette is looking peaked - not growing new leaves or flowers to speak of, but there are 3 little lemons starting out. 

We’re going to go hiking in Jefferson Memorial Forest today, but it’s going to be hot and I want to get moving before it’s 90 degrees outside!  Wake up people!

Coffee!

• Like 3

Last night after the choir concert dd11 decided that she wanted to bring Poochy with her on the rest of the tour. She understands the consequences of leaving him somewhere (i.e. we will not search the state of KY for him).  Dh tried to get me to text her chaparone, but I refuse to make that dear lady feel responsible for a stuffed rat. 

Poochy is in the yellow shirt. He is fairly well traveled. ?

DC9FAC5F-53D7-4BD2-95B6-87FD454B5F7E.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Good morning!  

I am the only person awake here and it’s almost 8:00!

Kittehs!

Lynette is looking peaked - not growing new leaves or flowers to speak of, but there are 3 little lemons starting out. 

We’re going to go hiking in Jefferson Memorial Forest today, but it’s going to be hot and I want to get moving before it’s 90 degrees outside!  Wake up people!

Coffee!

I am sorry Lynette is not doing well. Google it. Leonard has settled in and has 3 new blossoms. I think he likes it here.

• Like 2

Good Morning Afternoon!

I spent the day sitting on my porch attending my yard sale and finishing My Antonia.

We do not live in a good location for yard sales.  I made $19.50.  Which is $19.50 more than I would have made if I had just dropped the stuff at Good Will.

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, Junie said:

Good Morning Afternoon!

I spent the day sitting on my porch attending my yard sale and finishing My Antonia.

We do not live in a good location for yard sales.  I made $19.50.  Which is $19.50 more than I would have made if I had just dropped the stuff at Good Will.

Yep, you can do some things with $19.50.

• Like 2

DS and I went to Lowe’s.  It was insane.  The parking lot was crazy.

Having worked in a Lowe’s garden center for six years, I give all the workers huge smiles and a lot of leeway.  Saturdays can be rough, I tell you.

When we got home, DS helped me plant my Mother’s Day flowers.  I am enjoying them now, while the boys are inside.   I have no idea what they are doing and I don’t care.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, KrissiK said:

Very cute rodents, Susan. And correct me if I am wrong, but aren’t you responsible for their apparel??

Dd11 made Poochy's shirt and Snowy's dress.  :laugh:

7 hours ago, KrissiK said:

I am sorry Lynette is not doing well. Google it. Leonard has settled in and has 3 new blossoms. I think he likes it here.

She might still be fussy from all the cold weather we had.  Hopefully she will perk up.

1 hour ago, Critterfixer said:

The boys and DH got me a present! It's a lovely orchid with pink spots. I have eaten, but my head is still pounding. Imma try to get through a little more editing and plan on an early bedtime.

Hope your head settles down soon!  :sad:

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Slache said:

We're on burgers until payday. I used to hate our burgers but now we have them on gf buns with tomato and banana peppers and avocado instead of cheese and I love them.

Burgers are a standby for us. Because growing turtles are always hungry.

• Like 2

I am personally offended that I'm not invited to Angie's on a daily basis. 

I really like Krissi and Critter's responses on the math thread, especially the thing about having the answers on the wall. You guys are awesome sauce. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Slache said:

I am personally offended that I'm not invited to Angie's on a daily basis. 

I really like Krissi and Critter's responses on the math thread, especially the thing about having the answers on the wall. You guys are awesome sauce. 

It was needed. The poor turtles were petrified by not knowing. Taking the scary out helped. Might not help every kid but it dropped the anxiety level for my guys.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

Hockey time. Go Jets!

3 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

Score!!!!!

We're rooting for the Capitals.  I'm not sure who ds17 wants to win this series, so I'm not sure whether to be happy about this or not.  :)

I'll get back to you.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

I saw all 3 Jets goals. Ran out to feed dogs and the Knights scored.

Ds17 has stuff like this happen to him all the time.  He's a bit paranoid about it.

Especially with the luck the Caps have had in the past few years.

• Like 1

I drove up north to the gf teriyaki place and got our Mother’s Day lunch for tomorrow. I wanted to go tomorrow but they are closed on Sundays. The sweet Korean owner has celiac and kept assuring me that I can trust that everything is truly gluten free.   This is why I am willing to drive up to 45 minutes one way to go there.   (Today was better traffic so didn’t take as long. )

• Like 7

I am tired. I worked outside all afternoon. I planted a whole boatload of plants, deadheaded and fertilized the tea roses, swept off the patio, weeded.... now, I guess I make dinner. I wish Jean would pick me up some of that teryaki and fly it down to me in a supersonic jet or something.

• Like 5

The one sport I really know about is hockey.  So much so that I don't even call it sportsball.  Because there is no ball.  I grew up in Hockey Land (just outside Hockey Nation - Canada) and our state's hockey team practiced at the ice rink a few blocks from my house.

Even though we don't ever get too far in the playoffs, Nashville is fanatical about their hockey team.  People put signs in their yards.  They throw catfish onto the ice.  Because nothing says "We love you!" like a giant dead fish.  :laugh:

• Like 4