Menu

Ignore this thread!

46 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

We used it. I thought that it was snoring boring. 

Why? Alternatives to suggest?

This is the hardest time I have had deciding on curriculum since we started.  I thought I was supposed to be a pro by now.  :laugh:

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, ikslo said:

This is the hardest time I have had deciding on curriculum since we started.  I thought I was supposed to be a pro by now.  :laugh:

I think it's easier for Christians. I'd tell you to look at Notgrass and Beautiful Feet. Sonlight is even coming out with some interesting ones, like Eastern Hemisphere and History of Science. Secular options always looked a little blah to me. 

We've reached the temperature where I don't do anything for 5 months.

Matt's just discovered that MIL is on the opposite side of the theological spectrum and it's going to be a thing. I told him years ago but he doesn't listen. Now he's going to have to argue with her regularly about it. Yay.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, ikslo said:

It was a hard age for us. Historical fiction wasn’t as easy to find at grade level. Texts just tend to be boring. Later years we liked Teaching Company stuff. I wish that I could do this age over. 

• Like 1

Huge crash today. Barely made it through church. My pain was brutal- as in it felt like my actual cells were screaming in pain. Ate leftover gf teriyaki (which isn't so tasty- but someone did tell me about another gf teriyaki place that is closer). Slept at home for over two hours. Drinking a fancy root beer that Ds got me. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

Either the pollen is getting me (unlikely) or I am coming down with a cold. Throat is scratchy, food doesn't taste right, and I'm generally tired. I'm finishing what I can in the kitchen, will get the last of these revisions in, see what I can do about the schedule and then go to bed.

• Sad 3

17 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I owned two copies of the 10 volume series and the one volume concise version. What do you want to know?

Would an 11/12 year old boy who loves history like it enough to do it all year?  Have you used the guides?  I was planning on the 10 volume - do you like the concise better, though?  

10 minutes ago, ikslo said:

Are you asking Slache or me?  It’s a complete package, no?  I’m only looking for history, and it uses SOTW for World History at this age, iirc?

Honey, you need to look at the website. History through literature. It's totally yummy.

I’m back!! Good lunch and afternoon at my Aunt’s house. She’s got a gorgeous home and yard. So lush and shady with a bunch of little nooks and grottos that just invite a person to sit and snuggle up with a good book or journal writing.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, ikslo said:

Also, I don’t want to admit this to Slache without ducking, but I HATE making timelines.  Can I say that on this board?  Don’t quote.  I may delete.  LOL

I hate making timelines too.  We failed every time we tried it.  Feel better?  ?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ikslo said:

Also, I don’t want to admit this to Slache without ducking, but I HATE making timelines.  Can I say that on this board?  Don’t quote.  I may delete.  LOL

Solidarity. Right there with you. I bought some. Have never put them up.

• Like 2

There is no good US history spine.  

Lots of libraries have History of US - you could check out a couple volumes and see what ds thinks.  We never used it, so I'm no help.  I snagged the History Channels US Presidents DVDs from my parents.  I hope to watch them this summer and see if they are at all appropriate.  I will add age appropriate books here and there.  Hopefully.  

(My .02 - as a Christian, US history is hard for me too - resources can be just as dry as secular or they can be over the top with "knowing" what God's will for America was/is....)

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

Watching hockey. DH can't breathe either. I suspect a Benedryl haze is in the future for both of us tonight.

Hope all of you feel better.

Ds17 and I are listening to the game.  Are you all cheering for the right team?

• Like 1

Oh, and we don't do timelines either.  I'm not that organized and I don't know where I'd put it if we had one.

I know some people don't mind schoolish things in every room (which is fine), but I want my home to look like a home.  Maybe it's because I taught in a classroom before I had kids.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

Jean, ya win some.  Ya lose some.   You're not bad!

Critter, hope y'all are better soon!

Dh was making too much noise sneezing and blowing his nose while we watched House.  I asked him to turn the tv volume up.

Ds31 is in Houston for a couple of weeks.  He absolutely didn't want to go, but was excited to have cable at the hotel (we don't have it) so he could watch the hockey games he would miss here.  The hotel's cable doesn't include the channel he needed!

Your son needs to find a different hotel!

• Like 1

Slache, dh and I are not in the same theological spectrum as either of our families, and most of dh's family are ministers.  After some initial questioning by people, it became understood that we will just talk in ways we can all agree, which is possible.  And we have to not care if they agree with us or even understand what we think on any particular subject.  And we have to ignore snide comments.  And it helps to live at least 500 miles away. ?

Don't make it a thing.  Don't let her make it a thing. (It takes two to tango.)

If all else fails, start speaking in the most Southern, wavering, Bible-thumping preacher voice you can manage.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

We spent the evening out on the driveway around the fire pit.  We sang campsongs with the ukulele until it got too dark and I couldn't see the chord chart or words any more.  We had roasted marshmallows on fudge stripe cookies - the lazy mom's s'more.  :laugh:

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Slache, dh and I are not in the same theological spectrum as either of our families, and most of dh's family are ministers.  After some initial questioning by people, it became understood that we will just talk in ways we can all agree, which is possible.  And we have to not care if they agree with us or even understand what we think on any particular subject.  And we have to ignore snide comments.  And it helps to live at least 500 miles away. ?

Don't make it a thing.  Don't let her make it a thing. (It takes two to tango.)

If all else fails, start speaking in the most Southern, wavering, Bible-thumping preacher voice you can manage.  

She doesn't tango, she takes center stage and screams opera off key. She was really upset and she's going to make it a thing when she's here so Matt's trying to fix it now, while she's not.

• Haha 2

History?? Ugh!! It has been the bane of our existence. Me? I love history. I love digging deep and learning about people. My kids.... not so much. Second DS has had good success with Notgrass. It is interesting and he likes it. DD does A Beka, because..... just because. I don’t know. Timelines? DD does like timelines. She made a great one last year. It’s not terribly accurate, in that each section represents a certain period of time. I just put strips of paper on the wall and cut index cards in half. Whenever we studied a person or event she put the date on it, drew a picture and put it on the timeline. They were all the same distance apart, so it wasn’t a real timeline, but it turned  It cute and she enjoyed it.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

We spent the evening out on the driveway around the fire pit.  We sang campsongs with the ukulele until it got too dark and I couldn't see the chord chart or words any more.  We had roasted marshmallows on fudge stripe cookies - the lazy mom's s'more.  :laugh:

You are so Creative!

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Junie said:

(((Jean)))

I sent my mom a card earlier this week and an email today.  It was much easier than a conversation.

I sent my mom a joint birthday/Mother’s Day present two weeks ago and texted her today, on our group text with my sisters, lol.  She texted us all back.  She doesn’t return most of my calls when I DO call, so this works.

it’s a that’s the way things are BOOYAH!

• Like 3

We went out to dinner with my parents for mother's day and dh's birthday (dad's bday was earlier this week too).  I had sweet tea at supper.  I hope I can sleep.  

This week is busy - 1 dress rehearsal and two performances of Hello Dolly.  One youth orchestra audition.  Two days of swim meet.  Part of the family leaves Friday for camping trip in Michigan.  The smart ones are staying home.  :biggrin:  Oh, and one eye exam and one hair appt.  Last piano lesson for the school year.  One regular violin lesson.  Couple of swim practices and basketball games.  And a partridge and a pear tree.  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Slache said:

We watched vintage loony tunes, does that count?

Yes.  :)

(Actually, it does.  One of my high school history classes is The Twentieth Century.  We study one decade each month.  Watching vintage tv shows/movies is part of the dc's requirement.)

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

We went out to dinner with my parents for mother's day and dh's birthday (dad's bday was earlier this week too).  I had sweet tea at supper.  I hope I can sleep.  

This week is busy - 1 dress rehearsal and two performances of Hello Dolly.  One youth orchestra audition.  Two days of swim meet.  Part of the family leaves Friday for camping trip in Michigan.  The smart ones are staying home.  :biggrin:  Oh, and one eye exam and one hair appt.  Last piano lesson for the school year.  One regular violin lesson.  Couple of swim practices and basketball games.  And a partridge and a pear tree.  

Whew!  

• Like 1

My week is not that busy.  Ds13 goes to meet the cello professor on Wednesday and on Thursday I go pick up dd19 from the university.  The rest of my time will be spent getting things together for the backpacking trip. And cleaning up a little so we have a place to sit in the living room and removing the obstacle course that used to be the floor.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Slache said:

She doesn't tango, she takes center stage and screams opera off key. She was really upset and she's going to make it a thing when she's here so Matt's trying to fix it now, while she's not.

Opera can be a lot of fun - especially Italian opera.  You don't even have to know any Italian!  :laugh:

• Haha 2