Menu

Ignore this thread!

I love Alex's need to have books at quiet time. I had the kids stack all of the loose books that had been sprinkled around the house since this morning and he grabbed the entire stack, waddled to his crib and yelled "Do-on!" for help because the stack was too heavy.

• Like 6

We are home.  The recital went well - the kids played well and somehow seemed to enjoy the recital.  Maybe it was the snacks afterwards.  :laugh:  Ds13 managed, for the 2nd performance this week, to wear his older brother's dress pants which are at least 8" too long.  Dh came to the rescue both times and brought the right pants for him to change into.  

We leave early in the morning for our short trip to Kentucky - we are looking forward to visiting Mammoth Cave and the riverfront park and maybe another park in Louisville.

I am nowhere near getting in my steps today.  Oh well.  I'll make up for it tomorrow and Saturday.  Hiking socks (Merino or Smartwool) are expensive!

Good night, Ladies! ❤️

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

I am.....not Superman. Or Superwoman. Or Superdog. But you know, I can paint. And write. And make a mean GF Pound Cake. I might make one today because I think I have enough lemons.

Good morning. Caffeine.

I am Superintrovert, lol.  Which is only one reason why I don't really self-identify as teacher.  

Let me know what time to come for lemon pound cake.  

• Like 2

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!!~D

Friday!!!

School today.

DD1 is having a little sleepover tonIght with her two besties. They’re going to sleep in the tent in the backyard with the kittens. The three girls together are just the sweetest things. They’re all ending their 6th grade year, but no drama, no boy-talk. They are still pretty innocent and just like to have fun together. I’m just going to order some pizzas for dinner and get some icecream. Keep it simple.

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

I am.....not Superman. Or Superwoman. Or Superdog. But you know, I can paint. And write. And make a mean GF Pound Cake. I might make one today because I think I have enough lemons.

Good morning. Caffeine.

I’m just Super-tired. The pound cake sounds yummy. I’m out of lemon. But Leonard has put on a few more blossoms. He’s just a little guy, but he’s doing well.

• Like 4

I planted a six-pack of pepper seeds again. I lost all of these peppers due to the bad spring, but they have rave reviews. It might be too late, but we have a long growing season, and I'm not opposed to planting peppers in pots and moving them under cover if frost threatens in the fall.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Critterfixer said:

I planted a six-pack of pepper seeds again. I lost all of these peppers due to the bad spring, but they have rave reviews. It might be too late, but we have a long growing season, and I'm not opposed to planting peppers in pots and moving them under cover if frost threatens in the fall.

I did this one year....the peppers thrived!

• Like 1

I went crazy and imposed a 30 day screen ban. The boys really need one (particularly Weapon X) but no screens is so much more work for me. They are painting this morning. It's good and enriching and messy. 

I will be a good mom and survive this.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, lanalouwho said:

I went crazy and imposed a 30 day screen ban. The boys really need one (particularly Weapon X) but no screens is so much more work for me. They are painting this morning. It's good and enriching and messy. 

Learning how to clean up after painting is a life-skill they can learn, too.:biggrin:

• Like 3

I'm only half-kidding about that. My art friends and I were talking yesterday about how people easily become divorced from the reality of time, cost, and energy demanded for certain activities. I loved camping as a kid. I still love camping. But I got a first-hand experience as a young person in just what goes into planning the meals, taking care of the camp and seeing that nobody burns a hand, breaks a leg, or gets eaten by a bear, and it was eye-opening. I learned to plan, to pace myself, and how a nap in an armchair or in the tent at midday might be preferable to riding miles on a bike and then having to prepare dinner.

Knowing that there's cleanup and preparation involved in every "fun" event is a good thing to learn, IMO.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Critterfixer said:

My peppers are doing well. We had the bright idea of planting them near the compost bin, which is nowhere near the garden. But the soil is rich due to compost seepage and they only get sun in the morning up until about noon (they are on the east side of the arbor), which will make them happy because they don’t like our mid-summer afternoon sun. I’ve got a boatload of jalapeños set on and a couple of red peppers set on, too.

• Like 2

The question came up when someone asked my art friend about portraits and what she charged. She told him. He wasn't happy. She asked him if he knew how long it takes to paint a portrait in watercolor to that level of detail. He said, "Thirty minutes? An hour?"

Try three weeks. I wish I had another week on the portraits of the boys I did. I'll have them done in a week, but I'd love to have them longer so I could fine-tune some things.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, lanalouwho said:

I hear you!!

They are responsible for cleaning up after themselves. But at their age, that still requires supervision and mental energy from me.

One of the main reasons I imposed the 30 day ban was because Weapon X knows all too well that "fun" requires a bit of cleanup. He would rather sit and stare at a wall until 4 pm (screen time) than do anything that might make a mess. He couldn't fathom staring at the wall for 30 days.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

My peppers are doing well. We had the bright idea of planting them near the compost bin, which is nowhere near the garden. But the soil is rich due to compost seepage and they only get sun in the morning up until about noon (they are on the east side of the arbor), which will make them happy because they don’t like our mid-summer afternoon sun. I’ve got a boatload of jalapeños set on and a couple of red peppers set on, too.

Ours tend to like our sun, but they really don't like to dry out. Last year the boys mulched a raised bed of peppers for their Grandpa because the peppers looked so sad. A day later, those things looked like new plants. Leaves high, dry and warm, but cool roots made them happy.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lanalouwho said:

They are responsible for cleaning up after themselves. But at their age, that still requires supervision and mental energy from me.

One of the main reasons I imposed the 30 day ban was because Weapon X knows all too well that "fun" requires a bit of cleanup. He would rather sit and stare at a wall until 4 pm (screen time) than do anything that might make a mess. He couldn't fathom staring at the wall for 30 days.

Yes, it does require that time. But it's such a good thing to learn, I think it's worth it. Bravo!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, lanalouwho said:

Mine are old enough to know to do it, but I still have to remind and inspect , and then inspect again. And again. And again.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

Ours tend to like our sun, but they really don't like to dry out. Last year the boys mulched a raised bed of peppers for their Grandpa because the peppers looked so sad. A day later, those things looked like new plants. Leaves high, dry and warm, but cool roots made them happy.

So the fruit doesn’t get sun-burned? That’s our problem. Last year we planted them under a screen-shade in the garden, but they were hard to get to, hard to weed and the snails and sow bugs just decimated them. And yet..... we got a bit of a crop in the fall.?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

So the fruit doesn’t get sun-burned? That’s our problem. Last year we planted them under a screen-shade in the garden, but they were hard to get to, hard to weed and the snails and sow bugs just decimated them. And yet..... we got a bit of a crop in the fall.?

I haven't seen sun-burns here. But with the woods all around a garden plot, usually some afternoon shade is available. 

• Like 1

The boy and I are going to try to overwinter a pepper plant or two in the sun-room. I told him I wasn't sure if it would work, but I wanted to try it with the ghost pepper for sure. Those seeds are almost impossible to sprout, and I want to try to make cuttings.

1 hour ago, lanalouwho said:

1 hour ago, KrissiK said:

What does “set on” mean, exactly?  I’m guessing it’s a colloquialism with which I am unfamiliar.

• Like 1