Menu

Ignore this thread!

Good morning!

I have been whipping through the tasks this morning!  In my pj's and bathrobe!  :D

Ds13 is so discouraged about his cello piece, which he is playing for an audition on Saturday.  He actually plays it quite well when he takes it at a manageable tempo, but he tries to keep up with the breakneck speed his teacher insists on and just flounders through it.  I played him several youtubes of professionals performing the piece and I think I have convinced him that if YoYo Ma takes it at 66 bpm (instead of 92 bpm), then so can ds13.  :tophat:

I'm gonna go putz around the plants for a bit since the sun is finally out!  Then back to my list.

Coffee!

• Like 8

11 hours ago, myblessings4 said:

Ds33, when he was 2, had one of those experiences.  He had eaten a bunch of my dad's sugar-free Certs.  (remember those?  "two.  two.  two mints in one."  Anyway, he had poo running down his leg for a couple of days.  We were very careful to keep sugar-free stuff put away after that!

Yeah, I can't be trusted around the Cherry Coke Tic-Tacs.  They are just too yummy to me (even though I am not fond of the beverage itself).

11 minutes ago, whitehawk said:

Susan, I read too fast and thought you were going to put pantz on the plants.

No romaine lettuce is because of a recall. I buy local leafies and don't worry about it.

Pantz on the plantz

Pantz on the plantz

Lookin' like a Fool

With the pantz on the plantz!

(to the tune of "Pantz on the Ground")

I didn't realize there was a romaine recall!  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Good morning!

I have been whipping through the tasks this morning!  In my pj's and bathrobe!  :D

Ds13 is so discouraged about his cello piece, which he is playing for an audition on Saturday.  He actually plays it quite well when he takes it at a manageable tempo, but he tries to keep up with the breakneck speed his teacher insists on and just flounders through it.  I played him several youtubes of professionals performing the piece and I think I have convinced him that if YoYo Ma takes it at 66 bpm (instead of 92 bpm), then so can ds13.  :tophat:

I'm gonna go putz around the plants for a bit since the sun is finally out!  Then back to my list.

Coffee!

I agree, follow Yo Yo Ma's example and play it slower.  When auditioning playing well is much preferred over playing fast.  Unless it's a NASCAR audition.  And even then it is still better to play well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I have some old plaques and desktop clutter (stand-up plaque-like thingies spouting company values or slogans and the like) from my time years ago working for a corporation.  These things are essentially meaningless; they won't help me in the future if I wanted to return to work and they aren't things I want to have decorating my home.  What does one do with such things?  Just chuck them into the trash?

34 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Did I miss something?  Why no romaine lettuce?

There is another serious e. coli outbreak.  35 people in 11 states--22/35 had to be hospitalized, 3 of those went into kidney failure.  They think it is some farm in the Yuma, Arizona area, and it's only chopped lettuce---but they haven't been able to confirm that with a particular farm or supplier.  Until they can confirm a particular product/farm/supplier I have to be super careful given my particular medical situation.  (Both Idaho and Washington have confirmed cases, fwiw, Jean.)

https://www.cdc.gov/ecoli/2018/o157h7-04-18/index.html

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

9 minutes ago, AMJ said:

I have some old plaques and desktop clutter (stand-up plaque-like thingies spouting company values or slogans and the like) from my time years ago working for a corporation.  These things are essentially meaningless; they won't help me in the future if I wanted to return to work and they aren't things I want to have decorating my home.  What does one do with such things?  Just chuck them into the trash?

I trashed mine.  For the trophies where I could peel off the brass label, I did that and donated them---they can often be reused by cub scouts or whatever during pinewood derbies.

• Like 1

Anecdotes from this morning:

1. Ds laid on the floor and said, "I haz a problem, Mommy. I haz no pants."  Thankfully I did laundry yesterday.

2. Youngest had a midnight crafting party hidden under the school table.  I walked in and discovered scissors, tape, washi tape, colored pencils and post-it note bits all over the floor.  I can't say that I blame her. The possibilities of rainbow packs of post-it notes fascinate me too.

3. Older dd woke up speaking like a Minion. She was still making weird humming noises and squeaks and making crazy dance moves when I put her on the school bus.  I am hoping this is mostly out of her system by the time we have to afterschool this afternoon.

• Like 6

I have sent the children outside to jump on the trampoline. Hopefully that will release enough of the crazy to get some school done this afternoon. 

The purple chair in my schoolroom is the perfect place to sit and drink coffee and ITT while still keeping an eye on them. Well, it's a good place. The perfect place would be on my as-yet-non-existent screened-in wraparound porch. 

• Like 8

47 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Anecdotes from this morning:

1. Ds laid on the floor and said, "I haz a problem, Mommy. I haz no pants."  Thankfully I did laundry yesterday.

2. Youngest had a midnight crafting party hidden under the school table.  I walked in and discovered scissors, tape, washi tape, colored pencils and post-it note bits all over the floor.  I can't say that I blame her. The possibilities of rainbow packs of post-it notes fascinate me too.

3. Older dd woke up speaking like a Minion. She was still making weird humming noises and squeaks and making crazy dance moves when I put her on the school bus.  I am hoping this is mostly out of her system by the time we have to afterschool this afternoon.

1. Spoken like a true ITT child.

2.  Now that sounds like fun!! I love post-it notes. Although my latest passion is colored pens. I accidentally spent waaaaay too much $ on a set of pens from Walmart the other day. 

3. I love minions.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

Good morning!

Coffee!

YoYo Ma is the bomb. Go with that.

I checked on my baby planties this morning. They were thankful for the rain and as of yet, have not been attacked by snails.

• Like 5

I woke up on fire at three this morning. Not literal fire, but blankets went flying as I tried to cool off. That happened around six this morning, and I got up at seven. So I'm pretty punchy now. I revised the last of chapter nine, and need to print out chapter ten to work on later. I also promised to go help with bees this afternoon. I'm so tired. Blech.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I trashed mine.  For the trophies where I could peel off the brass label, I did that and donated them---they can often be reused by cub scouts or whatever during pinewood derbies.

I might be able to peel the facing off of the plaques themselves.  The desktop ornaments are plastic with slogans and logos and the like poured inside.  I'll see if DH or Aikido want any for anything, and trash stuff otherwise.  Thanks.  Part of me still gets the guilt for throwing stuff like that away.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Good morning. I have to have dental work done this morning. I hope that my lips cooperate tonight when I am making an important city council presentation. 

I hope so, too!  Good luck at the dentist!

18 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

I woke up on fire at three this morning. Not literal fire, but blankets went flying as I tried to cool off. That happened around six this morning, and I got up at seven. So I'm pretty punchy now. I revised the last of chapter nine, and need to print out chapter ten to work on later. I also promised to go help with bees this afternoon. I'm so tired. Blech.

I have a couple of these, and they help: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S8OUCVW/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Basically when I wake up hot I peel back the covers, go use the toilet (to give the bedding a chance to lose some heat), then I put one chill pad on my pillow and one along where my spine will be and I get back to bed.  After an hour or two they start to warm up from my body heat, but I just rouse enough to pull them out of the bed and drop them on the floor, and I usually am cooled enough to drop back to sleep.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

I think since we're a month or so away from summer break I should change my member title.  

No. One does not simply change perfection.

3 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

So does anyone have experience going to Saxon Algebra 1 from Saxon 87 without completing the end of the book?  Asking for a friend.  

You do NOT need to complete the entire book; in fact, most schools don't. The first 1/3 of the next book is review. (Saxon was the [horrible, no good, terrible, awful, that left my kid hating math and thinking she was no good at math] curriculum used at Christian school she went to 4th/5th.) Caveat: In case anyone has forgotten, I acknowledge that Saxon is a fabulous fit for many children, of whom my child is not one.

2 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Did I miss something?  Why no romaine lettuce?

Recall.

2 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

My friend has another Saxon question.  :-)  Has anyone taken summer break and then finished the book at the beginning of the next school year - if so, did you have to back up much to jump back in?  

See above.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, AMJ said:

I might be able to peel the facing off of the plaques themselves.  The desktop ornaments are plastic with slogans and logos and the like poured inside.  I'll see if DH or Aikido want any for anything, and trash stuff otherwise.  Thanks.  Part of me still gets the guilt for throwing stuff like that away.

No guilt!  Just toss.  Clutter is damaging to the soul.

• Like 5

I am using my rainbow pens in Oldest's planner and I feel no shame.  I need the color coordination for my brain.

I also turned on Magic School Bus this morning for Youngest and have been letting that roll for a few hours. New episodes, no shame, all that.

It feels really nice to be able to plow into getting work done. 

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I am using my rainbow pens in Oldest's planner and I feel no shame.  I need the color coordination for my brain.

I also turned on Magic School Bus this morning for Youngest and have been letting that roll for a few hours. New episodes, no shame, all that.

It feels really nice to be able to plow into getting work done. 

I love it when I get some time like that!

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

I have complete my task list, including a phone call, and now I get to look at backpacking meal recipes.  

Which recipes are you looking at?

DD16 and I went for a bit of a walk together, then we set the canopy swing back up and sat swinging and talking for a bit.  It was nice.  I got to listen to her latest ideas on the direction she would like her life to take, and what would be needed in the rest of high school and in college in order to pursue that path.

She also said she would be my walking buddy, and help me get meals planned and cooked.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, AMJ said:

DD16 and I went for a bit of a walk together, then we set the canopy swing back up and sat swinging and talking for a bit.  It was nice.  I got to listen to her latest ideas on the direction she would like her life to take, and what would be needed in the rest of high school and in college in order to pursue that path.

She also said she would be my walking buddy, and help me get meals planned and cooked.

I like this so much!! Sounds like you two have a good relationship.

• Like 3

My adventurous old lady dog has once again found her way out of the yard. I swear this dog is making me crazy. I worry about her so much.

ETA: I shouldn't be worried. She probably found a nice elderly person to feed her treats and she will come home on her own. But she's not as spritely as she used to be, and every time she gets out, I think this may be the time she never comes back.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

11 minutes ago, lanalouwho said:

My adventurous old lady dog has once again found her way out of the yard. I swear this dog is making me crazy. I worry about her so much.

ETA: I shouldn't be worried. She probably found a nice elderly person to feed her treats and she will come home on her own. But she's not as spritely as she used to be, and every time she gets out, I think this may be the time she never comes back.

Do you know where she's getting out? 

Speaking of resourceful little things... 

Don’t read this if you are eating.

Seriously, put down the food.

The oven installer is here and we discovered a ton of mouse poo and a hole a mouse ate up through the flooring to reach a covered space under my oven.

Dying here. Seriously freaked out. They are patching the hole before the new oven goes in.

• Sad 3