Menu

Ignore this thread!

2 hours ago, Junie said:

Jeannie, How is Tech Support?  I woke up this morning thinking about him.  Is his fever gone?

Fever is gone but he woke me up at 6:20 this morning with a nose bleed that had been going on for 45 minutes. I got it to stop with a baggie of ice to the back of the head. Now I hope that I can get second sleep. 

• Sad 4

1 hour ago, whitehawk said:

DS: Can I have a flamethrower?

Me: No.

DS: Even if I don't use it in the house?

o.0 Either DH or JJM must be responsible for this.

BFF totally won the challenge this morning, but it's because her DD is sick and woke them up early. :/ I'm still ahead by 4 but would like to win the rest of this week.

Repressive parenting is NOT healthy, whitehawk.  <<need little toe-tappy guy here>>

I'm thinking that the little hawklet needs to come stay with Auntie JJM this summer for a little freedom training...

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

Some musings on my recent foray into community politics. 

I still hate politics. I hate how mad it makes me when I see some leaders make rash judgements wiithout objective consideration. A lot of the time it seems like cronyism wins the day  

Yet I also observed some people who I ultimately agreed with skewing facts in our favor. I agree with their conclusions but not their rhetoric skills. 

I do like to see neighbors come together. 

I find the council meetings rather boring but I guess that I will continue to go to them because this local issue would have snuck by our community with no discussion and no decision in our favor if another neighbor and I hadn’t happened to be there at the previous two council meetings. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

5 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I still hate politics. I hate how mad it makes me when I see some leaders make rash judgements wiithout objective consideration. A lot of the time it seems like cronyism wins the day  

Yet I also observed some people who I ultimately agreed with skewing facts in our favor. I agree with their conclusions but not their rhetoric skills. 

I find the council meetings rather boring but I guess that I will continue to go to them because this local issue would have snuck by our community with no discussion and no decision in our favor if another neighbor and I hadn’t happened to be there at the previous two council meetings. 

You are a good person and I admire your willingness to get in it. I have been tiptoeing around local politics and one of my interviews is with a local Bad Guy. It is really, really hard with changing demographics and lives at stake. :(

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I really admire you, Jeannie!! You have to be able to think on your feet and think logically and rationally in the face of pressure to be in those situations. I cannot do that. I get flustered and mixed up in those kind of situations - arguments, discussions, debates. I would like to be more politically involved, but I think I would be ineffective and make a fool out of myself.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, JoJosMom said:

I'm thinking that the little hawklet needs to come stay with Auntie JJM this summer for a little freedom training...

It's true that he'd like to be more advanced in his demolition skills! But his summer is already spoken for. (School and three day camps, and hopefully my BFF's family is going to get out here to visit.)

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

I really admire you, Jeannie!! You have to be able to think on your feet and think logically and rationally in the face of pressure to be in those situations. I cannot do that. I get flustered and mixed up in those kind of situations - arguments, discussions, debates. I would like to be more politically involved, but I think I would be ineffective and make a fool out of myself.

This is way outside of my comfort zone.  The first time this issue came up at a meeting we were blindsided by two neighboring HOAs (we're poor so don't have an HOA) bringing this to the council as an "urgent issue".  I had to get up and speak without notes or preparation even though my voice and legs were physically shaking with nervousness.  But it was important to me that there be a rebuttal to what I felt like were spurious arguments.    The second time it came up, I was a bit more prepared because I suspected that it might come up again but again, since it wasn't actually an agenda item I had come with no notes.  So I got up to give rebuttal again only armed with my indignation.  I haven't listened to the tapes of the meetings (which are public record) because especially the first time I kept losing my train of thought and couldn't for the life of me remember important details like street names!  (But a retired newscaster lives here and has been very encouraging to me personally to get over my fear and to speak out.)

The meeting last night was a bit different.  We had mobilized by then.  I was part of a group of six neighbors who came for a war council.  I was the moderate in the group.  I don't like the "activist" in the group - she and her husband are abrasive and tend to default to being rude no matter who they are talking to.  But it gave me a chance to really think through my own stance. 
For two weeks I have been out measuring streets to get objective data (this was a safety issue that was bolstered in part by data like that).  I have been taking pictures.  I have been answering questions by other neighbors.  Dd taught me how to use Sway - a Powerpointish presentation site.  We get 3 minutes to talk at council meetings.  My first speech was 7 minutes.  For hours yesterday I timed my speech, cut out inessentials, timed it again, cut some more, timed again etc.  I cut out all my snark that was in the first draft and I now feel like my speech was better for not having it in.  I learned a lot about writing and rhetoric and my dd was able to see some of that process.  (I did write down my name on the papers I was reading from because I was afraid that I would forget it in the heat of the moment!  But I am weird in that my public name is not the same as what friends and family call me.) 

I do care about my community and it's safety and livability.  But one of my resolutions (if you can call it that) this year is to step outside of my comfort zone.  To stretch myself.  A couple of years ago I realized that a combination of my middle age and chronic illness issues were making me afraid to step out.  I think that it was making me age faster.  And I didn't like it.  So even though it scares the crap out of me to do stuff like this, I'm "taking chances, making mistakes, getting messy"  (Apologizing to Ms. Frizzle for changing the grammar in her saying.) 

I apologize for the treatise.  I'm thinking with my fingers so to speak.  This has been such a growing experience for me.  One that I didn't expect to have at my age! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

I need to plant my planties. But not today. My hands broke out in blisters the other day and now I have raw spots. Maybe tomorrow.

I hast edited another chapter and will start revisions shortly. Once done, I will have one third of my book intensely line edited. Everything is line edited, but this is the first time I've actually been through with a checklist.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Anyone here Cheyenne?

Wyoming?

2 hours ago, KrissiK said:

I’m here, who’s Cheyenne??

But i’m Only here briefly. I need to go out and check the planties and see if I need to put  Out snail bait 

Where's the church lady shocked face emo when I need one?

1 hour ago, myblessings4 said:

I thought that said PANTIES!

Me too!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I made the mistake of going over to the High School board.  I know I shouldn't look at everyone's long list of outsourced classes and despair, but it's a marked shift from what homeschooling looked like ten years ago. We aren't outsourcing anything next year--the budget just isn't there.

Hugs.

We don't outsource anything* either.

*Dd13 has a flute class.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I made the mistake of going over to the High School board.  I know I shouldn't look at everyone's long list of outsourced classes and despair, but it's a marked shift from what homeschooling looked like ten years ago. We aren't outsourcing anything next year--the budget just isn't there.

My like was an agreeing like.  We will outsource a little bit locally, but not like the lists on the highschool board. A marked shift indeed!!  Maybe, partly because the homeschoolers who were homeschooling high school 10 years ago KNEW they were taking a risk that their students would not look like other high school students.  Now, I think "we" (generic) try hard to make our homeschooled highschoolers look like every other highschooler (on transcript, on paper) so as not to hurt their future.  Of course, there are lots of exceptions, disclaimers, etc.  Just thinking of the trend.  

• Like 3

I'm not an outsourcer. 

• Like 4

Who here has been to Cheyenne? I have....

I think we stopped in Cheyenne when I was a teenager and my family took a cross-country road trip from MN to Pasadena, CA to visit my mom's sister.  It was my first and only time in CA.  And Wyoming, and Colorado, and Nebraska, and Arizona.  Basically the only time I've been west of Kansas City, Kansas.  :D

• Like 1

Chapter 10 revised. Chapter 11 up for editing.

I am tired. After taking the boys for their golf lesson, we went and looked for swarms again. No swarms, but we didn't get home until almost dinner time. Of course there was no dinner. I made eggs, bacon and blueberry muffins. Dishes are washing, but I'm tempted to just shove the laundry off the bed and go to sleep.

• Like 6

I have felt so good today!

I have a bit of a headache and my hip hurts, but...

No kidding, I have not felt this good in 15 years.  I have felt so good today.

I have no idea WHY I am feeling so good today -- other than it is a gift from God--, but I am really enjoying it.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

49 minutes ago, Junie said:

I have no idea WHY I am feeling so good today -- other than it is a gift from God--, but I am really enjoying it.

I am truly so happy for you!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Junie said:

I’m so glad for you!!

• Like 1