Menu

Ignore this thread!

18 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I was in St. Louis during a tornado warning.  The sky turned green.  I had never seen that before.  But the hotel desk people said that we didn't have to hide in the bathroom or anything.  So we didn't.  No tornadoes actually came near us. 

If the stormy sky turns a sickly green color hail is highly likely in the storm cell.  Storms that turn the sky this same green or a purplish color can also produce tornadoes (though not all storms that produce tornadoes will turn the sky strange colors).  Either way, in my own experience growing up on the prairie one should ALWAYS get to shelter if the sky turns odd colors.  I would have been loudly disagreeing with those hotel desk people.  The hail storm that hit my BIL's house a while back had grapefruit-sized hail that punched holes clear through the roof, attic, and ground floor ceiling (as well as smashing windows, fences, and exposed cars).  This size hail is uncommon, but even much smaller hail can do a lot of damage.  Prairie storms often have just what it takes to develop hail of destructive proportions.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Critterfixer said:

I survived. We had wind, but the tornadoes stayed away from us. It's now sunny, very windy and cold. I'm tired of winter, and I usually like winter. But our frost-free date is April 15th, and I'm in a bad mood about a possible freeze Sunday..

I liked that you are all unscathed.  Hugs for further cold.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

The green is hail.  Sometimes/often hail precedes the tornado, and the tornado is rain-wrapped right behind that hail.

Here's what we told coworkers when I worked in a high rise:

If a tornado or very strong storm threatens the area leave any room with a window or exterior wall and proceed to interior rooms or hallways.  Take your keys, wallet, and anything else you might need to get home with you (because you might not be able to return to your office later to retrieve them -- same as for a fire alarm).  There is often not enough time to get to below-ground floors, so focus on getting to sheltered interior places away from glass, putting as many walls between you and the outside as possible.  Sit down against a wall, curl up to protect your core, and cover your head with a coat or jacket to protect from flying debris, in case it occurs.  Wait for the storm to pass before attempting to return to the office spaces.

Ed-Po! Avert your eyes! 

Whilst sitting under an umbrella by the river I came up with this: Ninth Grade

French-MP French 2, a lot more review of vocabulary, and comic books in French for translation practice. Maybe Tin-Tin. 

Latin-Fourth Form Latin, translation practice with comics and books

Math-CLE 800-into CLE Algebra, and start Key to Algebra concurrent with CLE 800

Composition-CW Diogenes, Intermediate Poetry; Creative Writer 4, Image Grammar (or continue KISS because I like it so much); for literature I want to get through some version of Homer's Iliad and Odyssey, and try for Shakespeare's Julius Caesar, and maybe one other. 

History-History of the Ancient World

Biology/Botany-undecided

State History-indigenous cultures, geology of the state, see about visiting some cultural landmarks related to ancient history of the state. Library should supply most of the books, and I have a contact who can supply me with plenty of state history markers to visit.

Phys-Ed- Golf, Kayaking, Hiking. I want a backpacking trip in there somewhere, and maybe an overnight float trip.

Art-Drawing, Art History--I've got plenty of books picked up at various library sales I could use.

Music-tentative. I would like to have the boys take piano lessons. I don't know if that will materialize, but I have the piano, and I'd like to see them get a chance at playing an instrument. Another option would be guitar because those we can get and I have family members who play.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I would like to own a bookstore. 

12 hours ago, Slache said:

I would like to own a homeschool book store.

What will you call your bookstores?

55 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

Grd mrnig. I want a personal library, with lots of shelves to hold my books, a few long windows to let in light when I want it, and velvet drapes to keep it out when I don't want it. The walls would showcase my best paintings. I would have a little keyhole fireplace with armchairs in front of it with ottomans to prop tired feet up. And I would have the kind of rug that was made for bare toes. 

Add a not-too-large table with an upright chair or two and this is about perfect!  Maybe also a window seat.  And sconces and other light sources everywhere, so the lighting can be tailored just right.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Spudater said:

Planpo. 

Regretting my tweaking.  Wishing I had a hologram child to experiment on first instead of having to use oldest as guinea pig.  History and math are not fitting into neat year long progressions and high school is coming.  Keep thinking of her “ending up in a VAN down by the RIVER.”

There there.  Oldest will survive this, as will you.  No one will end up living in a van down by a river long-term.  It will only be short-term, as part of an adventure.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Critterfixer said:

I woke up late, and still I became sweaty and nauseous within minutes. Warm tea is helping. My elderly cat hates the change in the weather. She gets out of the bed only to get a drink of water, use the facilities, or get a nibble of food, and then she's back at the end of the bed, hoping the sun will shine. 

(((Critter's cat)))

A Booya(h) for all of the critters out there.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

Ed-Po! Avert your eyes! 

Whilst sitting under an umbrella by the river I came up with this: Ninth Grade

French-MP French 2, a lot more review of vocabulary, and comic books in French for translation practice. Maybe Tin-Tin. 

Latin-Fourth Form Latin, translation practice with comics and books

Math-CLE 800-into CLE Algebra, and start Key to Algebra concurrent with CLE 800

Composition-CW Diogenes, Intermediate Poetry; Creative Writer 4, Image Grammar (or continue KISS because I like it so much); for literature I want to get through some version of Homer's Iliad and Odyssey, and try for Shakespeare's Julius Caesar, and maybe one other. 

History-History of the Ancient World

Biology/Botany-undecided

State History-indigenous cultures, geology of the state, see about visiting some cultural landmarks related to ancient history of the state. Library should supply most of the books, and I have a contact who can supply me with plenty of state history markers to visit.

Phys-Ed- Golf, Kayaking, Hiking. I want a backpacking trip in there somewhere, and maybe an overnight float trip.

Art-Drawing, Art History--I've got plenty of books picked up at various library sales I could use.

Music-tentative. I would like to have the boys take piano lessons. I don't know if that will materialize, but I have the piano, and I'd like to see them get a chance at playing an instrument. Another option would be guitar because those we can get and I have family members who play.

See how much you need that river time?  It gets your brain juices flowing.

C'mon, good weather weekend.  I want some water time, too!

• Like 2

Now that I'm up, an expanded description of my morning as copied and pasted from my tackle thread:

Tried to sleep in and stay in bed.  Dh wanted to talk to me.  Dd came (earlier than usual even) to sit on my bed to talk to me.  Ds came multiple times to talk to me about today's adventure (driving three hours south to maybe buy a car - a car that he will have to repair before he can drive it.  sigh.)  A puppy on steroids (not really on steroids) wanted to bite my toes through the blanket.  And sit on my head.  And come pounce on me.  And then whined in concern when I wasn't getting up.  I actually stayed in bed for an hour but didn't get much sleep.  So. . . I'm up.  And now the puppy decided to play outside without me. . .    (Where's my eyeroll emoji?)

human care is done

pet care is done

medical care is done

I ordered some unmentionables online. 

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Slache said:

The age of your children plus the number of years you were married before you had kids.

Nah.  It's the age your nephew is celebrating that year.  The one that kindly stayed put during your wedding and was born during your honeymoon instead.  Call your sister to find out if you can't remember. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Critterfixer said:

It's my wedding anniversary today. I'll have to ask DH how long it's been. He keeps track. 

Happy anniversary!!!!  :party::party::party:

• Like 1

I am here!

I survived Dd's Birthday #6 Bonanza!

(It was actually as low key as humanly possible,  and just us, but everyone was so utterly wired by the very thought of it that it ended up being the hardest, longest, highest-maintenance "kid" days that I can remember for a very long time.  Bickering, fights, squabbles, prima donnas.... and a shortage of duct tape and corners in the house for those sentenced to them.  Meanwhile, dh was gone all day at a meeting, so I had the brunt of it while attempting to make a pie and meals and clean and do laundry and wrap gifts at the same time.

But kids got lots of practice repenting, and everyone enjoyed themselves in the end.  I do think I dozed off during dinner, though.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Critterfixer said:

The young cat keeps trying to nest on my laptop. I'd rather her nest on the other laptop, thanks.

DH says it's been 18 years.

You were married in 2000, then, like DH and me.  :grin:  I like being married in that year.  All I have to remember is that each year after 2000 is the number of our anniversary.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Now that I'm up, an expanded description of my morning as copied and pasted from my tackle thread:

Tried to sleep in and stay in bed.  Dh wanted to talk to me.  Dd came (earlier than usual even) to sit on my bed to talk to me.  Ds came multiple times to talk to me about today's adventure (driving three hours south to maybe buy a car - a car that he will have to repair before he can drive it.  sigh.)  A puppy on steroids (not really on steroids) wanted to bite my toes through the blanket.  And sit on my head.  And come pounce on me.  And then whined in concern when I wasn't getting up.  I actually stayed in bed for an hour but didn't get much sleep.  So. . . I'm up.  And now the puppy decided to play outside without me. . .    (Where's my eyeroll emoji?)

human care is done

pet care is done

medical care is done

I ordered some unmentionables online. 

*gives comfy blankie and warm beverage of choice*

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, lots of little ducklings said:

Nah.  It's the age your nephew is celebrating that year.  The one that kindly stayed put during your wedding and was born during your honeymoon instead.  Call your sister to find out if you can't remember. 

Funny how that happens. In my case, it's a niece.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lots of little ducklings said:

15 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

Funny how that happens. In my case, it's a niece.

My cousin gave birth (near Seattle iirc) the day after my wedding.  Her parents missed the birth because they had been at my wedding in Pennsylvania. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Spudater said:

Planpo. 

Regretting my tweaking.  Wishing I had a hologram child to experiment on first instead of having to use oldest as guinea pig.  History and math are not fitting into neat year long progressions and high school is coming.  Keep thinking of her “ending up in a VAN down by the RIVER.”

Advice-po.

Never make homeschool decisions out of fear.  

Whatever you are accomplishing or not accomplishing in history will not effect highschool level work.  at all.  

Math - just keep working from where you are.  

Don't compare to others.  Don't read the highschool board.  Don't collect go.  Don't collect $200.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2