Menu

Ignore this thread!

34 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Because you need that time to be a human being before being Mom? (That is, if you're me.)

ETA - I can be quite Mean Mommy about quiet times, barring emergencies. Not so much when they're babies, of course, but at this age (21 months) I make Squishy stay in bed, with toys and books. He'll eventually get that he comes out when the alarm rings at 7. I do give a clean diaper and lots of hugs and kisses and love, but he stays in bed.

Here's my nightly list, my Sunday list is attached. We check things off as we go and then I cross them off in a final walk through. The box is just ongoing miscellaneous things and I have lots of room for notes as I go (we're almost out of this, this needs to go on the project list).

• Kids

• Piano

• Read Aloud

• History

• To Do

• Dinner:

• Kitchen

• Top of microwave

• Diaper Station

• Vacuum

• Bookcase

• Clipboards

• Fold Laundry

• Trash & Dog

• ANKI

• Set School Out

• ____________________________________

Sunday Family Schedule.pdf

3 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

The alternative is to just never clean and become a raging lunatic before someone comes over.  Not that I would do that......

Gee, that doesn't sound familiar at all...so very strange.   :D

3 hours ago, KrissiK said:

Good Morning!!!

COFFFEE!!☕️☕️☕️☕️☕️

Friday Eve!!??

Today is Middle DD’s Birthday. She is 9.

???? Happy Birthday, Middle Daughter of Krissi!! ????

2 hours ago, Slache said:

My kids have always gotten up at 7 in the morning. For the past month or two the baby has gotten up between 6 and 6:30 and began screaming until 7 when I let him get up. Is there any reason not to let my kids get up at 6 and see how it goes?

My kids were always up by 6.  They learned to piddle around quietly until everyone else was awake.

38 minutes ago, Slache said:

If a baby eats a phone bill do you still have to pay it? Asking for a friend.

Better call the phone company and ask.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

I agree with this. My kids get up late now, but when they were little I made them stay in their rooms until a more reasonable time. They could look at books or play, but they had to be quiet and be in their rooms.

DS has always slept in.  I win.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, ikslo said:

DS has always slept in.  I win.

Quoting myself to say that he also often lies in bed for no other reason than to think his thoughts.  I wish I could take credit, seeing as I’m the best mom ever, but alas, it is just his nature.  He started that all on his own.  

• Like 3

Happy Birthday, Krissi's dd!

I lean towards being a zone cleaner, but during crisis situations, I work off of timers.  I schedule deep cleaning sessions quarterly and maintain in between.

I'm indulging in a caramel protein shake.  I feel kind of sad that a protein shake a luxurious indulgence, but man they are good when I'm craving sweets.  They don't bump my blood sugar though, so there's that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

There is a puppy squirming on my (seated) feet. Why she has to squirm and why she chose my feet as the best squirmy spot, we will never know.   It feels weird. 

Contact with Mom.  Squirming increases the points of contact and ensures getting Mom's attention.

She squirms because she loves you so much!

Puppy squirmy Booya(h)!  SOEXCITEDMUSTSQUIRMALLOVERYOU!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Slache said:

I get up at 5. I'm thinking of letting them get up and having a longer quiet time in the afternoon. He will probably sleep if I do that.

If a baby eats a phone bill do you still have to pay it? Asking for a friend.

I vote your friend makes a good-faith effort, being sure to note the phone number on the check to get the check credited to the proper account.  Include the mangled remains of the portion of the bill that is usually returned with payment, along with a note to the tune of "I'm sorry, but my baby ate my bill.  I guessed at the amount -- please have pity and don't turn off my phone."

AFTER taking pictures of the entire bill (or what remains of it), of course.  Your friend needs this gold for that child's teenage years.  Or for the food-finicky stage, so your friend can say, "Well, you USED to eat anything!  I have proof!"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Dd is the one who has bought the new Fitbit because she has money and I don't.  She gives me her old hand me down ones.  Still a win for me! 

Parenting goals! Go Events Planner!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, ikslo said:

I really wish my child would learn to chew with his mouth closed.

#parentinggoals

How can you chew with your mouth closed if you are shoving an entire fried egg into it all at once? You'll choke!

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Tsuga said:

How can you chew with your mouth closed if you are shoving an entire fried egg into it all at once? You'll choke!

Well, DS is allergic to eggs, so if he was doing that I’d say we’d have bigger problems than him imitating a cow. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

DD saw the doctor today and he thinks it's a thyroglossal cyst, but she has to see an ENT to be sure. Thankfully it sounds harmless but it will have to come out and she's the worst about dealing with doctors and needles. She's a little anxious but perked up when I said it would mean she could skip school a few days. She's bummed that she'll end up with a big scar that will make it easy to tell her and her sister apart. No more fooling boys for them for a while! 

• Like 4
  • Sad 3

6 minutes ago, Paige said:

DD saw the doctor today and he thinks it's a thyroglossal cyst, but she has to see an ENT to be sure. Thankfully it sounds harmless but it will have to come out and she's the worst about dealing with doctors and needles. She's a little anxious but perked up when I said it would mean she could skip school a few days. She's bummed that she'll end up with a big scar that will make it easy to tell her and her sister apart. No more fooling boys for them for a while! 

Turtlenecks?

Scarves?

Prop makeup to give the other a matching fake scar?

Boys that age don’t think with their brains; they’re easily fooled.  Your girls will think of something. ROFLOL

eta hugs for your dd, in all seriousness

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Paige said:

I'm glad it's a harmless thing, but sorry she has to have surgery for it.

It's one of those spring days that make school difficult. There's a plan in the works to blow through the day's lessons, throw the kayaks in the truck, and go spend the afternoon at the lake. I guess I'd better get my Latin done and get the house swept, or I'll be accused of sabotage.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

It's one of those spring days that make school difficult. There's a plan in the works to blow through the day's lessons, throw the kayaks in the truck, and go spend the afternoon at the lake. I guess I'd better get my Latin done and get the house swept, or I'll be accused of sabotage.

Go to the lake!

• Like 1

School is done. I didn't get the house swept, but it will take thirty minutes to do this evening, and I can handle that. I told the boys if we went to the lake, they would be on their own for supper. No cooking. They were okay with it.

Taking a watercolor pad for some fast painting, and another chapter to edit.

• Like 3

Any ideas for ocean themed book club snacks for adults that don’t involve seafood/meat? I was going to be lame and make fishy shaped cut out cookies, and bring goldfish crackers and maybe a fruit tray but I got partnered with someone who “loves entertaining,” and now I feel pressure to be cool and crafty. These ladies don’t even eat the snacks most times but now they want a party.

7 minutes ago, Paige said:

Any ideas for ocean themed book club snacks for adults that don’t involve seafood/meat? I was going to be lame and make fishy shaped cut out cookies, and bring goldfish crackers and maybe a fruit tray but I got partnered with someone who “loves entertaining,” and now I feel pressure to be cool and crafty. These ladies don’t even eat the snacks most times but now they want a party.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/283797213989214626/

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/501799583464191567/

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/21392166952436086/

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/437060338828969025/

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/297308012873601317/

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/379006124862366192/

• Like 1

Working from home with the kids today. So. Much. Work.

I know this is a mainly homeschooling board, but I feel like I'm much more effective at teaching when the government is taking care of lunch meal planning and implementation as well as daytime activity organization, set-up and cleanup, and the community manages volunteer-run activities so we can all take turns. And my kids aren't even tiny anymore.

• Like 2

Just now, ThatBookwormMom said:

I didn't mean for my Pintrest post to be snarky. I am genuinely impressed, and a little intimidated. I didn't know people did things like that.

I didn’t think you came across as snarky.  Mark me down as another who never would have thought of those things!

• Like 2

I'm here to make everyone look less bitter, cynical and snarky, so don't worry about it. ;) Seriously though, the "don't compare your outtakes to other people's highlight reel" is so necessary in the days of curated "everyday" life. I think that for us, the generation that grew up around an uncurated Internet, it's easy to forget that now everything is curated... almost. The Media has taken over the Internet. We've gone from Eternal September to Eternal Prime Time.

• Like 5

The jello or pudding cup ones are the easiest. I have no gift in carving watermelon, but some people do. I have run in circles with people who do competitive hosting with the focus on the food that no one eats...I don’t envy you. If you enjoy food crafting that’s great, but I hate the social obligation to do it if you don’t.

10 minutes ago, Slache said:

I can't have corn chips, beans or cheese. I guess I'll have a bowl of guacamole and some tomato slices with a side of olives, please.

Is it called whole 30 because you die before 30? Or because you are 30 lbs at the end of it? This diet always sounded insane to me. No cheese, no bueno.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Tsuga said:

Is it called whole 30 because you die before 30? Or because you are 30 lbs at the end of it? This diet always sounded insane to me. No cheese, no bueno.

30 days of whole foods. Meat, veggies, fruit, nuts and seeds. We're eating fabulously and I've lost 14 pounds. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Well, the cake is decorated. I was watching some of those videos you see on FB, where they do some cooking thing really fast and they don’t talk, just have the ingredients. And I was watching cake decorating. So, I tried one of the things. Hmmmm, needs more practice. But, it’s pretty. Just not like the video. I’m terrible with frosting.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Slache said:

30 days of whole foods. Meat, veggies, fruit, nuts and seeds. We're eating fabulously and I've lost 14 pounds. 

What about eggs? Isn't corn real food? I heard you can't have wheat either. Couldn't it be all and any whole foods? I could get behind that more.

I'm glad you're hitting your health goals!

6 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Well, the cake is decorated. I was watching some of those videos you see on FB, where they do some cooking thing really fast and they don’t talk, just have the ingredients. And I was watching cake decorating. So, I tried one of the things. Hmmmm, needs more practice. But, it’s pretty. Just not like the video. I’m terrible with frosting.

Practice makes perfect! 

• Like 1

I am back from supervising the kayaking. A fun time was had by all, but the wind was fierce. I had the boys leave the kayaks loaded. We will try to beat the storms (and freezing temperatures) to get in a trip to the river in the morning. I got horribly dogged when a boater's puppy leaped from the boat, into the water, and then came onto the dock to dance around on my lap, in my satchel and wallowed on my manuscript. As one might expect, I'm quite popular with my dogs and cats this evening.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Tsuga said:

What about eggs? Isn't corn real food? I heard you can't have wheat either. Couldn't it be all and any whole foods? I could get behind that more.

I'm glad you're hitting your health goals!

Eggs yes, but no grains. So no corn, wheat, quinoa. Lemme find my notes. They have 4 rules and 5 nos. The nos are alcohol/sugar, grains, legumes, dairy, seed oils.

Wait. Let's see if I can remember the 4 rules.

The food must have a proper physiological response. 

The food must have a healthy hormonal response. 

The food must support proper gut health. 

Dang. Ok, hang on. Oh! INFLAMMATORY! The food must be anti-inflammatory. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Slache said:

Eggs yes, but no grains. So no corn, wheat, quinoa. Lemme find my notes. They have 4 rules and 5 nos. The nos are alcohol/sugar, grains, legumes, dairy, seed oils.

Wait. Let's see if I can remember the 4 rules.

The food must have a proper physiological response. 

The food must have a healthy hormonal response. 

The food must support proper gut health. 

Dang. Ok, hang on. Oh! INFLAMMATORY! The food must be anti-inflammatory. 

So, I imagine licking buttercream frosting from the bowl would be considered a huge no-no, then!

And this is a Buttercream Booya/h, my friends!!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1