Menu

Ignore this thread!

3 minutes ago, Slache said:

Eggs yes, but no grains. So no corn, wheat, quinoa. Lemme find my notes. They have 4 rules and 5 nos. The nos are alcohol/sugar, grains, legumes, dairy, seed oils.

Wait. Let's see if I can remember the 4 rules.

The food must have a proper physiological response. 

The food must have a healthy hormonal response. 

The food must support proper gut health. 

Dang. Ok, hang on. Oh! INFLAMMATORY! The food must be anti-inflammatory. 

Is this supposed to work for all ethnicities? I live on dairy, grains, legumes, olive oil, and alcohol. But that's probably why I tend not to have the typical American physique. When I eliminated wheat, dairy, and nuts for breastfeeding I lost 10 lbs. It was horrible. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tsuga said:

Is this supposed to work for all ethnicities? I live on dairy, grains, legumes, olive oil, and alcohol. But that's probably why I tend not to have the typical American physique. When I eliminated wheat, dairy, and nuts for breastfeeding I lost 10 lbs. It was horrible. 

A big thing for me was to eat *different* food. If you're used to tacos DON'T MAKE TACOS because you won't like them. Make pot roast or salmon cakes. Salmon cakes with avocado mango salsa are much better than grainless, dairy free tacos.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Ds finally came to an agreement with the "other guy's insurance" on valuation on his totaled car.  This is a huge answer for prayer for me because they were butting heads with aspie rigidity and both the insurance company and ds had to bend to come to a fair agreement. 

This is where I think people fail to appreciate the autism spectrum. It's the perfect time to be rigid, principled, and persistent. Don't give in to the insurance reps! They are paid to represent people like you with a similar rigid thinking but with opposing goals (most people I know who work for these companies are all very rigid, logical, impersonal, and unbending... that's why they are so great at actuarial science). 

If you are an ENFP with an insurance company you'll end up sending your actuary flowers for the inconvenience of assessing the damage to your car... even if it was the actuary who hit your car.

Sure, there are downsides, but there are downsides to everything. I am glad your son stood his ground.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Paige said:

Any ideas for ocean themed book club snacks for adults that don’t involve seafood/meat? I was going to be lame and make fishy shaped cut out cookies, and bring goldfish crackers and maybe a fruit tray but I got partnered with someone who “loves entertaining,” and now I feel pressure to be cool and crafty. These ladies don’t even eat the snacks most times but now they want a party.

Hard-boiled eggs are easily molded into shapes, including fish, while still warm.

I agree that the seaweed idea was interesting, though you'll have to judge whether people will really eat it.

You could get a few sizes of cookie cutters and throw fish-shaped cantaloupe into your fruit salad and let people be sufficiently impressed with that. They're there for the book discussion, not a culinary event. Your partner can take on anything s/he feels like.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

I'm craving funnel cakes for some reason. But I don't want to make them. 

I was craving them a few weeks ago, and now (ahem) I'm craving them again.

Have you found a successful recipe?  We're still perfecting ours and it isn't quite right yet.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Junie said:

I was craving them a few weeks ago, and now (ahem) I'm craving them again.

Have you found a successful recipe?  We're still perfecting ours and it isn't quite right yet.

I don't know that it's perfect, but I take my favorite GF pancake mix and thin it out with more buttermilk. Then I put it in a ziploc bag, nip a hole in the corner and pour at will into the hot oil. It kind of works.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

I don't know that it's perfect, but I take my favorite GF pancake mix and thin it out with more buttermilk. Then I put it in a ziploc bag, nip a hole in the corner and pour at will into the hot oil. It kind of works.

This is basically what we do, except we thin it with whole milk.

Do you know what temperature your oil is?  I think ours is too hot and the batter cooks too fast.

• Like 1

I believe I will surprise the boys tomorrow with an unexpected day off from school. They are expecting to do school at the river, but the weather window is very narrow. We need to maximize the time on the water in the morning and beat the storms home in the afternoon. Then after a nice paddle in the river, they can watch videos of volcanoes that I have to return to the library on Saturday.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Slache said:

Practice makes perfect! 

My grade school music teacher would disagree.  She was always complaining that it is perfect practice that makes perfect.  If you are doing wrong continuously you form bad habits and are never going to be perfect with bad habits.

I never held my flute straight and hated to practice until the day before lessons.  Do you think she was trying to tell me something?  Hmmmm. I don’t think she liked me much.  She liked my sister, though.  My sister played first chair clarinet and went in to play oboe. 

I wonder when the last time she played was.  

I digress.  I’m sure Krissi’s baking was good, and I am sure she will get better.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, ikslo said:

My grade school music teacher would disagree.  She was always complaining that it is perfect practice that makes perfect.  If you are doing wrong continuously you form bad habits and are never going to be perfect with bad habits.

I never held my flute straight and hated to practice until the day before lessons.  Do you think she was trying to tell me something?  Hmmmm. I don’t think she liked me much.  She liked my sister, though.  My sister played first chair clarinet and went in to play oboe. 

I digress.  I’m sure Krissi’s baking was good, and I am sure she will get better.

Shhhh! Krissi needs to practice on more cakes. Lots and lots of cakes!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ikslo said:

Practice makes permanent.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Junie said:

Susan,

How is your dd's foot/ankle/whatever it was?

She says it feels like a bruise on the bottom of her foot.  She can walk OK and has been icing it off and on today.  It's much better when she wears shoes - if I can get that child to wear shoes!  :D

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Some beautiful good-night music for y'all.  

My kids are super into Tchaikovsky right now. Further evidence that they're smarter than me.

5 hours ago, KrissiK said:

I basically make 5 cakes a year. Not a lot of practice.

Clearly you need to make more. 

3 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Dh got this bone broth powder that I mixed with hot water. It actually tasted better than the bone broth I got from the grocery store. 

It might be full of sugar.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Good morning!  Friday!

i often crave boring! :D

We are up and getting ready to head out.  Service will be iffy on the trail, but I might be able to get some texts through.  

I love to go a-wandering
Along the mountain track 
And as I go, I love to sing
My knapsack on my back

Val-deri, val-dera
Val-deri, val-dera
Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha
Val-deri, val-dera
My knapsack on my back

#hikingearworm
#yourewelcome

Coffee!
  • Like 6

Coffee!

Bad Kitty was licking a plastic bag at 4 AM but I'm up and moving anyway because my BFF and I are competing to see who can get going earlier in the mornings and she won yesterday so I totally had to win today. And now I'm up by 4 points. Did I mention coffee?

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Paige said:

Any ideas for ocean themed book club snacks for adults that don’t involve seafood/meat? I was going to be lame and make fishy shaped cut out cookies, and bring goldfish crackers and maybe a fruit tray but I got partnered with someone who “loves entertaining,” and now I feel pressure to be cool and crafty. These ladies don’t even eat the snacks most times but now they want a party.

I like your idea.  If they really want a theme party you could create an activity by supplying the shaped cookies and frosting and decorations so they can decorate their own cookies.  Spice gum drops cut into slices could be fish scales.

15 hours ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Now I understand the reminders that "Real life isn't like Pinterest." Wow! Color me impressed! Those are beautiful.

True.  But the fish platters of veggie slices look easy, as do the cucumber critters.  Or the dolphin bananas.  (dip the cut bananas in lemon water to prevent browning.)

15 hours ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

I didn't mean for my Pintrest post to be snarky. I am genuinely impressed, and a little intimidated. I didn't know people did things like that.

Many of those are done by professionals, and photographed by professionals.  Many people HIRE people to do things like that.  The ideas are great, but the execution can be very time-consuming.

15 hours ago, Paige said:

Those look hard! I can maybe do the cucumber shark. Or get one of my kids to do it. This one looks easy: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/339669996866298059/

The bell pepper octopi are a quick and easy way to dress up dips or hummus.  The veggie palm trees also should be fairly simple.  Cucumber shark shouldn't take much time.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Critterfixer said:

Seems to me I used to have an old recipe for something called Sea Foam--it was a candy of some kind. I don't have the recipe anymore.

If I recall correctly it was like a lighter, fluffier divinity.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Critterfixer said:

I'm craving funnel cakes for some reason. But I don't want to make them. 

Now you have me wondering if I can convince FIL to make Navajo fry bread this evening....

• Like 1

I announced the day off over breakfast, but we are staring down showery clouds already. However, the bad stuff isn't supposed to come in until noon, and a few raindrops never hurt a boat. They can hurt a manuscript so we will bring umbrellas. 

I'm just barely awake. I had one of those nights when your dreams are so boring you have to wake yourself up to keep from dying.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Dh got this bone broth powder that I mixed with hot water. It actually tasted better than the bone broth I got from the grocery store. 

Yeah, I tried some of those store-bought bone broths.  Yech!  

Let's all get better broth Booyah?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

Good morning!  Friday!

i often crave boring! :D

We are up and getting ready to head out.  Service will be iffy on the trail, but I might be able to get some texts through.  

I love to go a-wandering
Along the mountain track 
And as I go, I love to sing
My knapsack on my back

Val-deri, val-dera
Val-deri, val-dera
Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha
Val-deri, val-dera
My knapsack on my back

#hikingearworm
#yourewelcome

Coffee!

Have fun!

15 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

Don't talk about fry bread. Drooling. I love fry bread.

So do I.  I really shouldn't have it very often, or have much of it when I do.  But FIL makes a good one....

• Like 1