Menu

Ignore this thread!

When life sucks eggs make lemonade.

Or paint them so they can be easter eggs (though I grew up with the two-hole version and blowing, not sucking, and have never heard the word pysanka before in my life... we also simply did waterpaint or something, nothing fancy - of course, I'm Dutch, not Ukrainian): 

http://www.pysanky.info/Preparations/Emptying.html

http://www.pysanky.info/PYSANKY/Pysanka_Home.html

• Like 4

Edpo.

We're dropping SOTW as a formal study. He doesn't like anything about it but the audiobooks so I'll let him listen to them to his heart's content and allow more time for interest led meaning American history, wars, world cultures and all manner of geography. I don't know when this will change.

Yep.  SOTW is mostly just listen to the cd.  Oldest listened over and over again while he ate lunch.  

Edpo:

Please help me remember I need to order some curriculum.

Me too.  

Next round of CLE math and reading, and next Explode the Code book. All for ds.

Me too.  Next level of CLE math for youngest and Suzuki book 2 for her violin lessons.  

• Like 2

Edpo:

Please help me remember I need to order some curriculum.

Me too.

To the tune of "If You're Happy and You Know It," a reminder song:

If you didn't do the thing, then do the thing.

If you didn't do the thing, friend, you've got to do the thing:

If you didn't do the thing, then do the thing!

• Like 10

Yep. SOTW is mostly just listen to the cd. Oldest listened over and over again while he ate lunch.

Me too.

Me too. Next level of CLE math for youngest and Suzuki book 2 for her violin lessons.

DS and I don’t like the CDs much. We got level 4, and it’s almost like they edited out all the natural pauses between sentences to save space on the CD or something. One sentence flows right in to the next making it extremely difficult to follow along. I cringe whenever we listen.

Also - too monotone for me.

Edited by ikslo
  • Like 3

Yep.  SOTW is mostly just listen to the cd.  Oldest listened over and over again while he ate lunch.  

Did he learn bunches? By that I mean was there some nice groundwork laid for further studies?

NEW FAVORITE FING!

More medical stuff next week and presumably answers the next week and if not, I shall scream. As Mo Willems put it, Waiting Is Not Easy.

(((Whitehawk)))
  • Like 3

Did he learn bunches? By that I mean was there some nice groundwork laid for further studies?

NEW FAVORITE FING!

(((Whitehawk)))

To be honest, he listened to both Diana Waring and SOTW over and over again.  It made "logic stage" history difficult because I just tried to find good spines with higher reading levels and he felt he already knew everything.  We should totally have gone interest led.  I should have just let him study whatever he wanted at that point, but I kept trying to start the cycle over again when he just didn't need a history cycle anymore.  My .02.  

• Like 5

DS and I don’t like the CDs much. We got level 4, and it’s almost like they edited out all the natural pauses between sentences to save space on the CD or something. One sentence flows right in to the next making it extremely difficult to follow along. I cringe whenever we listen.

I remember when Dancer and I tried listening to volume 1, and really really really disliked it. And we like Jim Weiss, which is why I wanted to try SOTW cds. Thank goodness they were from the library and not purchased.

• Like 4

I didn't say I listened with him, lol.   :lol:

• Like 4

Curriculum, curriculum...I don't think I need to buy anything. Oh, wait. I might buy MFW Adventures. Maybe. I'll see. Later. Like in July or August.

We're out of devotional, Science and Greek. I have a 2nd grade list, too. It's more expensive.

Edited by Slache
  • Like 1

My son is digging through my rock collection. Little known fact about me: I collect rocks almost obsessively. I have a huge box of them stored in the closet. The boy was after a particularly nice clump of quartz crystals I dug up a few years ago. I told him he could display it on his desk for a while.

• Like 9

Happy Lent/Valentine's Day!

I'm handing out Hershey Kisses like they're candy.  

Also, it is one of those warm and muddy could-this-be-spring kind of February days, so the children have apparently (of their own volition) decided to embrace the whole CM thing that I myself have been a failure at.  They are tramping around the backyard in their wellies, sketching wildlife in their sketchbooks.  And finding puddles to play in and ice to throw. 

Meanwhile, I picked up a bundle of daffodils at the farm and they are here now in my favorite sunny spot in the house.  Plus I have my second cuppa coffee and some chocolate chips and buttered toast and grapes and slippers.  

Consider my 100 List DONE. 

Edited by Lotsoflittleducklings
  • Like 7

I'm looking at A Child's Geography. I've loved the appearance of the series but never wanted to add more. Right now there's His Wold (physical geography which would be great after Apologia Astronomy), Holy Land, Classical World, and Medieval World. It's $25 though which is kind of blah. It would still leave lots of room for interest led history.

http://kqm2018.knowledgequesthq.com/product/a-childs-geography-explore-his-earth-ebook/

Why does my neighbor think that every "good thing" she comes across needs to be shared with me?  And not just shared once but more than once because surely I must want to join in on said "good thing"?  (I know that she's being nice.  But I don't have the time or money to jump on every good thing that comes around.)

Gah.

EdPo:

We did owl pellets this morning!! Our owls ate shrews and moles and various rodents.

That was very industrious of you, especially considering you were also at the dentist today! â­ï¸â­ï¸â­ï¸

Next level of CLE math for youngest and Suzuki book 2 for her violin lessons.

Both our dd9s are on book 2! Except mine is doing viola.

:hurray:

• Like 3

I need a little kid to teach. 

#putstealoneonmybucketlist

:mellow:

Just that part of it (the A to z book) is reasonably priced on eBay and Amazon. Dd loved it!

I like the idea of the whole thing for her. She will need school to be gentle, fun and interactive. I wanted MFW for John but it would have been a terrible fit.
  • Like 1

MY FATHER'S WORLD KINDERGARTEN IS FOUR HUNDRED DOLLARS! :svengo: I thought it was $200. Never. flipping. mind.

It's $261 (and probably cheaper on Rainbow). The Deluxe just includes all the read alouds that are probably at the library anyway.

Edited by Renai
  • Like 5

I need to get TT grade 6 math, a couple of Vocabulary from Classical Rootses, Spelling Apples 2, the next couple levels of Writing and Rhetoric, and I think a couple of Reading and Reasoning levels. I think that's it. I might have dd9 do Singapore one more year (4th grade) and then move her into TT for 5th, so I'd need those workbooks. That's a lot of workbooks. I didn't used to use so many.

• Like 1

Slache--most of those books are available at the library.  The c-rods/cuisenaire book is overrated. About a decade ago, there were free templates of the letters floating around on the web, you could just as easily print those off. I owned the book, and rarely used it. If Mary is block printing letters, I'm guessing she's beyond the Lauri letter puzzles. I owned those too--and prime age for that is around 3-4, imo.  There are plenty of old MFW K manuals floating around on eBay.....

• Like 4

When life sucks eggs make lemonade.

Things aren’t horrible. This just came to me and I thought that I was funny. My kids tell me that I’m not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like it!

• Like 1

Why would you be opposed to that?

The other stuff was shut off as punishment for prioritizing screen entertainment over school, chores, and being civil to her immediate family.  Meming through texting was working her way around the punishment instead of earning her way out of it.

• Like 4

I need to buy BJUP 4ed Chemistry lab materials ($400ish, but I'm looking at my options), decide what we're going to do about Calculus I--either chalkdust, Derek Owens, or community college, and buy the next level of CLE for younger son.  I think I have everything else on hand as I pre-bought a lot of stuff as funds came along.

That would be fabulous, thanks!

I have texted DH the basic request, to remind us both to have him explain it to me so I can explain it to you.

Looks like he used an app -- I'll get more details later.

I suppose I really ought to eat lunch at some point.

My lunch was a nut butter packet before we left for art.  And then a second nut butter packet on the way home from art.  Now I'm having the (reheated) cup of tea I brewed at breakfast time this morning.

• Like 2

She turns 5 on the 18th. She's requested an Amy to go with John's Sonic so we have to go to the mall because she's at Build a Bear. Yay. My favorite place.

I've never seen them.

Happy upcoming birthday, Mary!!!!

• Like 3

EdPo:

We did owl pellets this morning!! Our owls ate shrews and moles and various rodents.

If your daughter decides she wants to save hers to finish dissecting later please don't let her put it in her bottomless bag of doom purse.

• Like 3

We love the Olympics.  I have favorite sports to watch though. 

Note:  Our first black and white television in my family of origin was to watch the moonlanding.

Our first color television in my family of origin was to watch the Olympics.  (I can't remember what year). 

Our first color TV was a small portable one Mom picked up after separating from Dad, around 1980.  Prior to that we always had black & white, and on the farm we only got the most local channel (yes, one channel), and that with a lot of snow.  I still had memorized the entire TV Guide (not that hard in the days before cable was everywhere), and could tell time within 5 minutes just from watching about 3 seconds of TV and knowing the channel.

Scary, the talents kids can form at times.

• Like 2

Do I really have to do the thing today?

Do I really have to do the thing TODAY?

I've been running 'round today

doing lots of other things!

Do I really have to do that #$Q$%^*$^%%$%@ thing today?

• Like 6

My son is digging through my rock collection. Little known fact about me: I collect rocks almost obsessively. I have a huge box of them stored in the closet. The boy was after a particularly nice clump of quartz crystals I dug up a few years ago. I told him he could display it on his desk for a while.

:001_wub:  :001_wub:

'Struth:  some of the boxes I have dragged around for years aren't full of papers.  They are full of rocks.  I even still have some of the rocks my grandparents collected on their honeymoon in the Black Hills.

My kids have also gone through some rock acquisition phases, too.

I like ROCKS.  My sis's idea of rocks are usually set in jewelry.

• Like 3

Happy Lent/Valentine's Day!

I'm handing out Hershey Kisses like they're candy.  

Also, it is one of those warm and muddy could-this-be-spring kind of February days, so the children have apparently (of their own volition) decided to embrace the whole CM thing that I myself have been a failure at.  They are tramping around the backyard in their wellies, sketching wildlife in their sketchbooks.  And finding puddles to play in and ice to throw. 

Meanwhile, I picked up a bundle of daffodils at the farm and they are here now in my favorite sunny spot in the house.  Plus I have my second cuppa coffee and some chocolate chips and buttered toast and grapes and slippers.  

Consider my 100 List DONE. 

:hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:

• Like 1

I need to get TT grade 6 math, a couple of Vocabulary from Classical Rootses, Spelling Apples 2, the next couple levels of Writing and Rhetoric, and I think a couple of Reading and Reasoning levels. I think that's it. I might have dd9 do Singapore one more year (4th grade) and then move her into TT for 5th, so I'd need those workbooks. That's a lot of workbooks. I didn't used to use so many.

Don't buy Teaching Textbooks grade 6 yet; give me an evening or a day to hunt through the spare room upstairs.  If I locate ours you can PM me a mailing address and you can have it.

Woohoo!  Potential decluttering!

The cat just now hopped up onto the homeschool table (where she knows she shouldn't be) and shook off two of her booties.  She has now been re-festooned with booties and moved to a chair.  Grumpy cat.

• Like 2

Do I really have to do the thing today?

Do I really have to do the thing TODAY?

I've been running 'round today

doing lots of other things!

Do I really have to do that #$Q$%^*$^%%$%@ thing today?

:hurray:

(What I really like is adding the two songs together on my ITT iNote. :D )

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 4