Menu

Ignore this thread!

Dad update: (Dad is ok...)

Wednesday morning, Dad took a drastic turn for the worst. He had been horribly agitated and aggressive Tuesday night and Mom's presence was making it worse, so she came home to sleep a bit. She was at the hospital by 7 and as soon as she saw him, she demanded a CT Scan. I got up there about 10:00 and he looked AWFUL. His breathing was horrible. I can't even think about it or I'm bawling. 

Anyway, within 30 minutes of having the results, Dad was whisked away for surgery. They had to remove part of the skull to relieve the swelling. It literally went from "The possibility of surgery is high" and mom saying "Call your sister" to me walking back into the room and seeing the neurosurgeon telling mom what we had to do. 

Before I walked in,  it was this conversation: 

DR: We need to take your husband back for surgery to relieve the pressure. 

Mom: Can I call my pastor? 

DR: There's not time. 

Mom: Can I call my daughters?

DR: There's NOT TIME. It's NOW or he WILL die. 

I have never been so terrified in my life. He came out of surgery and is more alert and responsive than he was before the surgery. I'm still hesitant to leave his side, though he looks a million times better than he did on Wednesday morning. 

The crazy thing is that the doctor who has been the one in charge of all of this actually felt so confident in Dad's recovery that he went to DC for a presentation that he had scheduled. He called to check on dad and was shocked with the events of the day. He ended up having the nurse find mom and he talked to mom for a very long time. He said that surgery this "late in the game" with an injury like this is extremely rare and that the only thing he can think of is that Dad had a series of small strokes and that caused more issues. The dr flew back this afternoon and said he would be at the hospital immediately to go over the files. 

It's going to be a very long road and I'm here for at least another week. 

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

Thank you all. He's not out of the woods yet, but I'm hopeful. 

Newest update that we just posted:

Dad had an MRI today. It did show that he had 2 small strokes since Monday. The two small clots are in the right side of his brain and embedded. They will not move and will not grow. 

Dad is responding well to movement. He continues to be sedated and may continue being sedated until tomorrow. He will definitely come out of sedation tomorrow.

He has pneumonia infection in his left lung which is being treated with antibiotics. The nurse began nutrition via his IV this afternoon.

Our prayer is that he will not be agitated when he is awake tomorrow. Please, please pray!!

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

I'm here.

Made it through a day.

Really a pretty good day. Just one of those no breaks for mom days.

I seem to have a lot of those.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:   I know how those can go.

• Like 1

The person who is replacing me said she knows how to type and use the programs. She does not know how to type or use the programs. She told Pastor she will work on Tuesdays and told me she will not because she is going to have to have her new husband there to do everything so she does't have to get out of her chair because she has bad knees. She is the church gossip and as secretary she will have access to everything. Do you want to know how much money each member tithes? Or how about who asks the church for money and how much they get? Because I have access to that. I told him not to hire her. I told him. At least we're moving when she takes over.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:   You have done what you can.  The ball is in the church's court now.

• Like 2

Dad-po:

It seems every time I turn around it is time to go visit Dad again, and I'm starting to NOT have everything ready for when I do (oops).  I still have a sweater vest and a pair of trousers to get stains out of from Sunday's visit, and now I have more laundry from Thursday's visit.

I will also pop in on him quickly today to drop off more bottled water.  He likes bottled because he's used to it, he can carry the bottles around anywhere, and he can track how much he's drinking rather easily.  Yesterday when I showed up he had only 5 or 6 bottles left.  When I did the math I realized he's drinking about 6 bottles a day.  This means he needs more TODAY, and I picked up four flats yesterday after I left his place.

We are still working out how to manage our day-to-day and week-to-week schedules now that Dad is a big part of them, but it's starting to shake out.  Despite Thursdays being our usual appointment day Mondays and Thursdays will work out best for visiting Dad, with some weekend day visits occurring every now and then.  Time I got back by shortening art on Wednesdays will go to Dad laundry and other tasks.

The gal at the front desk knows me on sight now, and as soon as she sees me coming she gets out the visitor book for me to sign in.  She used to fill out a line first and then have me sign (for a badge to get into the various buildings), but now she just hands over the book, gets out the badge, swaps it for my DL while I sign, and fills out the rest of the book entry after I walk away, all while taking care of other people.  We still manage smiles and "Good Morning"s, and if she's free when I return my badge and sign out we catch up then.

Next week Dad's place is having their monthly luncheon for new residents.  I have recommended to Dad that he rest up and attend.  He seems to want me to go along and I can ask if that's permitted, but I think he would be fine on his own.

• Like 9

AMJ, that's a lot on your plate along with the full plate that was already there! It sounds like Dad is in a good place, though.

My in-laws plan to stay on the mountain until dh's nephew (who lives with them) graduates from nursing school in a little more than a year, and then move to Indianapolis with dh's brother. We wish they would move earlier, but at least they have accepted the need to move and are making plans in that direction.

• Like 6

Good morning!

Raining!

Dh will pick up my cow poop at the store today so I can make my potting mix.

How is your neck this morning, Critter?

Coffee!

Neck is better, thanks. I find that if I make sure I take something right when it starts, I don't end up unable to turn my head for days.

• Like 5

I've got to catch up on two short stories today. Finished my S book for the Rose challenge on Book-a-Week. I loved it, but it wouldn't be everyone's favorite. It was a very unusual retelling of Persephone and Hades.

Next up--O. I've got a collection of poetry and short stories from the Ozarks that will do. Then all I have to do is find something for E.

An agent was begging writers for a good retelling of Psyche and Cupid. I don't think competing with Till We Have Faces would be easy to do.

• Like 7

I've got to catch up on two short stories today. Finished my S book for the Rose challenge on Book-a-Week. I loved it, but it wouldn't be everyone's favorite. It was a very unusual retelling of Persephone and Hades.

Next up--O. I've got a collection of poetry and short stories from the Ozarks that will do. Then all I have to do is find something for E.

An agent was begging writers for a good retelling of Psyche and Cupid. I don't think competing with Till We Have Faces would be easy to do.

:mellow:

Wow. No pressure there. At all.

:mellow:

• Like 6

Good Friday Morning!  COFFEE!!!!

Slache - how did you get 1000 steps already?  In your sleep?  

Sleep walking. I did bad things. I don't yet know what they are.

Maybe she was sharing my dream.

It involved wolves.

And trying to get away from wolves.

Actually I dreamed that my dog died.

Oh.

It's morning.

Again.

:svengo:

No, I don't think so. How are you?

• Like 3

Good morning!

Raining!

Dh will pick up my cow poop at the store today so I can make my potting mix.

How is your neck this morning, Critter?

Coffee!

A sign of true love, being willing to go buy poop for your sweetheart.   :001_wub:

• Like 7

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!!☕ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸

Friday!!,ðŸ‘ðŸ‘ðŸ‘ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

Nothing extra today, thank goodness.

Ah-hem, Susan..... that rain you were sending out West.... never got here!!

AMJ, sounds like things are settling in to a routine!! ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

Slashie, the church is going to have to live with their decision. It’s good you’re getting out of there.

Critter - glad your neck feels better!!

Mary - still praying for your dad!!

Good morning, JJM!!

Maize - when encountering wolves, you just hit them hard on the nose....... no, that’s for bears. Sorry.

Good Morning, Angi!!

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 5

DD13 is REALLY dragging this morning, so I have given her until 9 AM to sleep in.  She is my early bird, so this is unusual.  It's early weeks after being hit with a nasty bug (though she's pretty much recovered from that) but she still fatigues easily.  Could be growth spurt, could be allergens blowing in, could be remnant fatigue from being sick.  Probably is a combination of such things.

While she is resting I have been getting a few things done, mostly prep for errands to run today when I head out for my blood draw.  I have been hesitating to pay myself back out of Dad's account for expenses I paid for (that he was supposed to) involved in the move.  I paid myself back a partial amount, though, and also paid off his line of credit.  His finances are sitting well; I just want to make sure everything is well-documented and he has enough funds to spare for whatever crops up.

Next week's Dad Project task list should include:

• get tax papers off to Dad's accountant -- include a copy of the POA
  • contact the VA to start getting that set up for Dad (a prep step for getting him lined up with doctors)
  • go through the Dad files and make sure all is in order
  • set up phone service (landline) to Dad's apartment
  • subscribe Dad to local newspaper and WSJ
  • check the few magazines that Dad brought with him to see if he wants subscriptions to any of them
  • Oh!  Order Dad's books he requested!
  • contact local Marine Corp League and VFW to get Dad signed up
  • take Dad shopping to try out lift recliners

I find it interesting that the small table I provided for Dad (to serve as a small desk) has been covered with papers and such, but in a careful manner.  After we get a lift recliner moved in I might check with Dad to see if that table is big enough for him, or if he wants a slightly bigger one.  He's got his weekly activity and meal menu laid out there, and a calendar on which he records stuff.  He's got a few other things, too, but they are peripheral (one is the binder of stuff I assembled related to his new residence).  He is also using some of his shelves in the bookcase for laying out flat things, too.

• Like 5

I had active dreams, but they didn't involve being chased by wolves. Do y'all with active dreams ever go find the dream again and change the outcome? I do that sometimes. 

Sometimes I do, when I awaken slightly and am not needed for some other distraction.  If something else awakens me my brain switches to deal-with-that mode, and the dream is gone past chasing down.

• Like 1

Critter, I hadn't thought about how insensitive my reply about my dream was. I'm sorry. I was in shock over my dream for a while after I woke up and wasn't thinking strait. Did you ever recover your dog?

My dogs are fine. But yes--the one that died we were able to recover and bury. 

At times I've had dreams about my many animals that I've loved over the years. One night my horse came back and I got to ride him again. Years after he died. That was a very sad and happy dream at the same time. I was so happy to see him.

• Like 6

Where is this rain the forecast promised me? At this rate, the year will be called, "The Year There Were No Waterfalls" and I'll be in mourning.

:grouphug:

It's sitting in "sea fog" down where we are.  (The meteorologist keeps calling it that because the fog is coming from the Gulf, even though we are well inland here and the fog isn't carrying the salt smell it does closer to the coast.)  The cold front coming down from the north today is going to push it farther south, though possibly not far enough to pass us.

• Like 1

(((Mary)))

((((AMJ)))

The puppy cuteness is killing me.... keep the pics coming, Jean!

Kids are done with morning school and playing now. Apparently it is Vintage Fisher-Price Little People Friday.   The living room has turned into a village.    :001_wub:

Time for Second Coffee!  :cheers2:

• Like 8

DD13 is REALLY dragging this morning, so I have given her until 9 AM to sleep in. She is my early bird, so this is unusual. It's early weeks after being hit with a nasty bug (though she's pretty much recovered from that) but she still fatigues easily. Could be growth spurt, could be allergens blowing in, could be remnant fatigue from being sick. Probably is a combination of such things.

While she is resting I have been getting a few things done, mostly prep for errands to run today when I head out for my blood draw. I have been hesitating to pay myself back out of Dad's account for expenses I paid for (that he was supposed to) involved in the move. I paid myself back a partial amount, though, and also paid off his line of credit. His finances are sitting well; I just want to make sure everything is well-documented and he has enough funds to spare for whatever crops up.

Next week's Dad Project task list should include:

• get tax papers off to Dad's accountant -- include a copy of the POA
  • contact the VA to start getting that set up for Dad (a prep step for getting him lined up with doctors)
  • go through the Dad files and make sure all is in order
  • set up phone service (landline) to Dad's apartment
  • subscribe Dad to local newspaper and WSJ
  • check the few magazines that Dad brought with him to see if he wants subscriptions to any of them
  • Oh! Order Dad's books he requested!
  • contact local Marine Corp League and VFW to get Dad signed up
  • take Dad shopping to try out lift recliners
I find it interesting that the small table I provided for Dad (to serve as a small desk) has been covered with papers and such, but in a careful manner. After we get a lift recliner moved in I might check with Dad to see if that table is big enough for him, or if he wants a slightly bigger one. He's got his weekly activity and meal menu laid out there, and a calendar on which he records stuff. He's got a few other things, too, but they are peripheral (one is the binder of stuff I assembled related to his new residence). He is also using some of his shelves in the bookcase for laying out flat things, too.

I love your dad updates; it comes through so clearly how much you care about making his life pleasant.

• Like 3

My dogs are fine. But yes--the one that died we were able to recover and bury. 

At times I've had dreams about my many animals that I've loved over the years. One night my horse came back and I got to ride him again. Years after he died. That was a very sad and happy dream at the same time. I was so happy to see him.

Sometimes I talk to my dad in my dreams. He's been gone for13 years now. I :001_wub:  those dreams.

• Like 8

((Mary & family))

Agitation is a sign of a stroke, or of brain swelling, or a response to high doses of steroids if he's on them.  If he wakes up agitated, it doesn't mean that he will remain that way. It could also be how his body processes anesthesia.  For my dd, it took about 2 hrs to process the anesthesia, post waking, and then she would start to settle.  It is *very* hard to watch as a family member, but IME, the family member will have little memory of how challenging their behavior is.  

Have they placed an intracranial pressure monitor? You don't need to answer, but it's worth asking about when they round if you don't know the answer....but if he's had a decompression surgery or craniotomy, it's a pretty standard thing.

-----weird cr*p I know because of dd's brain tumor...

• Like 6

Bad-joke-Po. Read at your own risk!

True story. I parsed a sentence for a writer to help explain my thought process. The talk was over whether or not the sentence was grammatically sound. It was. It was also confusing taken alone, but in the context we had, the sentence worked. Spoken, not written. Directly, someone says, "You know, people who parse sentences are indulging in intellectual _________." Fill in the blank with a certain alone-type activity. I guess I was feeling sassy, because I fired back, "Don't think it's hurt my writing life." :blush:

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 7

Good morning.

The cutest, most bestest (totally unbiased opinion on this, by the way) puppy in the world let me sleep for 7 hours.  Though I didn't sleep well because I"m in a flare that is not caused by her.  I'm having to remember how to be a puppy mama all over again.  (Though she's still so much easier than my Springers.) 

• Like 7