Menu

Ignore this thread!

Happy Friday Eve!

Piano today, and Hebrew.  And lots of working ahead on Bible because next week is vacation week!  :hurray: 

Not that we are going anywhere, but I hope to finish the Christmas break list, and accomplish some house repairs.  Hoping dh will take some days off too.  (He hoards them and at the end of the year has to waste them all at once at usually the most inconvenient and worthless time.  It drives me crazy.)

Jean:  Are you just looking at puppies, or looking at puppies?  There is a difference, you know.  A pretty crucial one. 

• Like 3

After worrying that I was leaving it too late I called (again) the 9th grade school to start inquiries into registering DD13 for this coming fall.  Unless DD13 wants to be involved in athletics that run over the summer she doesn't register until June.  Summer athletic students register in April.  I'm not too late starting!

The very nice registrar gave me the contact info for a counselor so I could arrange a meeting with the counselor as to what-all I'll need to gather (looks like I'll be writing up transcripts for the homeschooled years), and so I can ask about robotics lab and band and schedules and such.

Yay!

• Like 2

After worrying that I was leaving it too late I called (again) the 9th grade school to start inquiries into registering DD13 for this coming fall.  Unless DD13 wants to be involved in athletics that run over the summer she doesn't register until June.  Summer athletic students register in April.  I'm not too late starting!

The very nice registrar gave me the contact info for a counselor so I could arrange a meeting with the counselor as to what-all I'll need to gather (looks like I'll be writing up transcripts for the homeschooled years), and so I can ask about robotics lab and band and schedules and such.

Yay!

I feel like I've missed something, somewhere...

• Like 2

I've read that a hundred million US households have TVs, but I wonder how many are like ours, only used for DVDs or streaming services.

I've never had cable (by which I mean, as an adult - my parents did/do have cable). We had one year of satellite (again, because of job), and that's it. Other than that, streaming and DVDs (we've had Netflix since before they had streaming). We'd be willing to contemplate cable if we could pick the channels we wanted at a reasonable cost, but I'm not paying $3 or w/e (I really don't recall - might have been even more) per month for the sports channel just because it's impossible to get a package with the channels we want without it (it was something like that last time we glanced at cable options). 

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 2

I just scheduled a dentist appointment at a practice that I don't really like.  I would love to take her to her usual dentist, but he doesn't do sedation.

We took dd7 there last year to have some teeth filled.  The consult was fine.  Then when we made the appointment, we had to have another dentist in the practice because the one who just did the consult told us it was her last day before she went back to school.  Grr.

We prepared for the sedation.  Dh took off work because I was afraid I would not be able to carry a sedated dd7.  The dentist looked in her mouth and said that he wouldn't do the work because he didn't think it was bad enough.  Grr.

And then they still charged us for the visit.  Grr.

I have a feeling I was a bit unpleasant to the poor woman on the other end of the phone.  :(

This sounds like a job for the ENB.  How in the world do they give you a consult regarding the work, then afterward refuse to do the work and then charge you for refusing.  

• Like 3

Good morning!

(((Slachey))) Nap later?

Puppies!!

Yay Mr. Junie!

(((Whitehawk)))

Must get pantz and do things and come home and do more things. I need to email the orchestra secretary that I won't be at rehearsal tonight because my shoulder is still hurting. It's much better and mostly functional, but 2-1/2 hours of playing the violin will not help it.

9 more days of rain in the forecast.

Coffee!

Wow - did I really leave without posting this?

• Like 5

Good morning.

Dh agreed to let me get a puppy as a replacement child for Ds going out of state for college. I wasn’t going to seriously look for puppies until fall but five puppies just popped up at the humane society. They never have puppies and they are a fraction of the cost of other puppy sources. But a lot of others will be competing with me for the puppy I want. So we’ll see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 6

Good morning.

Dh agreed to let me get a puppy as a replacement child for Ds going out of state for college. I wasn’t going to seriously look for puppies until fall but five puppies just popped up at the humane society. They never have puppies and they are a fraction of the cost of other puppy sources. But a lot of others will be competing with me for the puppy I want. So we’ll see.

I think that's a good idea. But have you considered a pony? I think that would be a GREAT idea! :001_tt1:

• Like 8

I am bribing my boys with chocolate this morning to do their schoolwork.  Belgian chocolate. 

I'm sorry, Dad, I can't come over today.  I have to go to Prairie's house and do homework.  

#I'magoodgirlIam

• Like 6

AMJ--You're welcome to swing by. I'll even just give you some! :) 

Not surprisingly, Oldest is flying through his physics homework this morning as I reward him by assignments completed.  Younger ds is earning chocolate by minutes spent on a task. 20 min of diligent work = square of chocolate. I don't resort to bribery very often, but every once in a while, a tangible reward is a good thing. 

• Like 4

No nap because working.

I am anti-puppy because you already have enough to do. Bah humbug.

I am having a horrible day. Alex is still sick and miserable and his diaper didn't handle illness which lead to more than an hour of scrubbing in the nursery. Matt overdrew our account *and* we got a last notice call from the electric company *and* we're out of food. Tax return is supposed to be here Monday so not a crises but I'm just tired of it all. Matt's company has cost us so much more than it's made. And I'm a week late so Matt's doing his monthly freak out, nevermind that I've been late almost every month for a year. Alex just poured a bin of water out of the tub. Great. And we're out of dish detergent which is a problem. I shall ask the neighbor for some.

There were dogs I didn't recognize running over the front yard this morning. They were in fine shape and looked cared for, and one was a little too friendly while the other was polite but nervous. Still, it's a really bad idea to let this particular breed of dog run loose. I hope they just got out and the owners fix the fence as soon as they can.

Other than that, we did art and are now at home enjoying a summer day in February. There will be about a thirty degree drop between today's high temperature and tomorrow's.

(((Slache)))

I'm so glad you didn't give us up for Lent. Last year was terrible. For us, at least.

(((Slache)))

:lol:

I gave up my bed during the day. I'm actually in bed right now but it's only because I have a full view of the tub which Alex is in. He will take a bath for 2 hours and I'm not sitting on the on the bathroom floor for that long. I'm making to do lists and shopping lists while he sings about "Daty" into his cup.

• Like 4

I did a quick groom on Libby in case she has to meet puppies and humane society people. Then we stopped by the pet store because we can’t find her harness anywhere and because of her spinal cord injury she can’t wear a normal collar and leash. Now we’re waiting anxiously for the humane society doors to open. I am prepared to tackle anyone for first dibs on the puppies.

• Like 4

Oh, that’s right, your MIL.

Oh, we don't care about her. It's FIL. MIL will ensure she's taken care of. She will not ensure FIL is taken care of.

School is going to take approximately forever today.

We just finished. Now we're pirates. Arg. Awix is a pantsless pirate.
  • Like 7

Well, that didn't work out. The hawks were swarming today. It took two people on patrol constantly to keep the chickens safe, and even then both females made a pass over the pen. So the birds got a dirt bath, some scratching, sunning and strutting, and then they had to go up. It's so hot today that I opened one of the screened windows and got the fan running. By tomorrow I'll have to staple the plastic down again and turn on the heat lamp for the elderly birds.

Stupid hawks.

The rooster got threatened with the stew pot again for being a bad bird. But I don't blame him for not wanting to be in the house on a nice day.

• Like 3

Windows in my house are open today. I hope I don't regret that decision. I had some runny eyes and a stuffy nose yesterday that responded to allergy medication.

I'd like to do the same, but it is so humid here we'd be swimming if I opened the windows.  Dad told me today about washing one shirt in the shower and hanging it to air dry, something that would be dry in a few hours back in Colorado.  Yeah, Dad, this is SE Texas.  You are lucky your shirt dried in 3 days.  

• Like 1

That is a super cute puppy.

I made it to the store and bought eggs.  We used the first five dozen already, and it's only Thursday.

On a related note, I need some advice on what to do with my house.  We brought our stand-alone freezer with us when we moved.  We inherited a fridge, which is now a garage fridge. I am fairly sure that my car will be able to fit in the garage once the boxes are gone.  If it can't, the decision is a no-brainer.  

Here's the dilemma.  I have a smallish kitchen, with much less pantry space than I'm used to.  I have minions who eat lots of food.  I have an area off of the kitchen, with a sliding door to the outside (hot tub) and a door to the garage. I already know that I need to remove the carpet from this area and convert it to tile because of the water dripping that will happen from passage from outside and garage.  The area is currently staged as a second living area, with two couches there.  The previous owners had staged it that way, and there is a wall mount for a tv.  

We aren't going to be able to afford a tv for that wall for quite a while (three more kids to put in braces, community college tuition that starts this fall, etc.)

Option 1: Leave it as a secondary sitting area.  We don't quite have enough furniture in the living room to fit our entire family, and it's a nice quiet overflow area for reading or talking to whomever is prepping food in the fridge. It'd also be a nice overflow sitting area with a view to the deck & yard this summer.

Option 2: Convert into a mudroom/pantry/towel drying area.  The laundry area is too tiny to hang up racks semi-permanently for suits and towels. Having a mudroom would create some nice coats & boots storage space + a place to hang wet towels and suits after being in the hot tub. Plus, I could put in some IKEA cabinetry and have a place to store my buckets of rice, beans, wheat, popcorn + 20lb bags of potatoes, sweet potatoes, onions, etc.  If necessary, the freezer and fridge could also be brought in from the garage.

If I can't convert the area to a pantry, the alternative is to go to the store once more a week.  I currently have to be out of the house twice a week for a kid class, and one of those sessions is used to go to the store. The other is spent at the park. I would have to give up park time, as there isn't a great time to go to the store in the rest of my schedule. 

• Like 2

I made it to the store and bought eggs.  We used the first five dozen already, and it's only Thursday.

On a related note, I need some advice on what to do with my house.  We brought our stand-alone freezer with us when we moved.  We inherited a fridge, which is now a garage fridge. I am fairly sure that my car will be able to fit in the garage once the boxes are gone.  If it can't, the decision is a no-brainer.  

Here's the dilemma.  I have a smallish kitchen, with much less pantry space than I'm used to.  I have minions who eat lots of food.  I have an area off of the kitchen, with a sliding door to the outside (hot tub) and a door to the garage. I already know that I need to remove the carpet from this area and convert it to tile because of the water dripping that will happen from passage from outside and garage.  The area is currently staged as a second living area, with two couches there.  The previous owners had staged it that way, and there is a wall mount for a tv.  

We aren't going to be able to afford a tv for that wall for quite a while (three more kids to put in braces, community college tuition that starts this fall, etc.)

Option 1: Leave it as a secondary sitting area.  We don't quite have enough furniture in the living room to fit our entire family, and it's a nice quiet overflow area for reading or talking to whomever is prepping food in the fridge. It'd also be a nice overflow sitting area with a view to the deck & yard this summer.

Option 2: Convert into a mudroom/pantry/towel drying area.  The laundry area is too tiny to hang up racks semi-permanently for suits and towels. Having a mudroom would create some nice coats & boots storage space + a place to hang wet towels and suits after being in the hot tub. Plus, I could put in some IKEA cabinetry and have a place to store my buckets of rice, beans, wheat, popcorn + 20lb bags of potatoes, sweet potatoes, onions, etc.  If necessary, the freezer and fridge could also be brought in from the garage.

If I can't convert the area to a pantry, the alternative is to go to the store once more a week.  I currently have to be out of the house twice a week for a kid class, and one of those sessions is used to go to the store. The other is spent at the park. I would have to give up park time, as there isn't a great time to go to the store in the rest of my schedule. 

Mudroom. With animals and/or children in a home, the answer is always mudroom.

• Like 2

I would opt for the mudroom/pantry usage of the room, but if it could be managed a chair or two in a corner as a very small retreat area would be a nice addition, if it could be managed.  Perhaps the chair-or-two can also serve as seating when needed for putting on or taking off boots?  That could be the primary purpose of the chair(s), but that wouldn't prevent them being used as a mini-retreat in between boot times....

• Like 2

I made it to the store and bought eggs. We used the first five dozen already, and it's only Thursday.

On a related note, I need some advice on what to do with my house. We brought our stand-alone freezer with us when we moved. We inherited a fridge, which is now a garage fridge. I am fairly sure that my car will be able to fit in the garage once the boxes are gone. If it can't, the decision is a no-brainer.

Here's the dilemma. I have a smallish kitchen, with much less pantry space than I'm used to. I have minions who eat lots of food. I have an area off of the kitchen, with a sliding door to the outside (hot tub) and a door to the garage. I already know that I need to remove the carpet from this area and convert it to tile because of the water dripping that will happen from passage from outside and garage. The area is currently staged as a second living area, with two couches there. The previous owners had staged it that way, and there is a wall mount for a tv.

Option 1: Leave it as a secondary sitting area. We don't quite have enough furniture in the living room to fit our entire family, and it's a nice quiet overflow area for reading or talking to whomever is prepping food in the fridge. It'd also be a nice overflow sitting area with a view to the deck & yard this summer.

Option 2: Convert into a mudroom/pantry/towel drying area. The laundry area is too tiny to hang up racks semi-permanently for suits and towels. Having a mudroom would create some nice coats & boots storage space + a place to hang wet towels and suits after being in the hot tub. Plus, I could put in some IKEA cabinetry and have a place to store my buckets of rice, beans, wheat, popcorn + 20lb bags of potatoes, sweet potatoes, onions, etc. If necessary, the freezer and fridge could also be brought in from the garage.

If I can't convert the area to a pantry, the alternative is to go to the store once more a week. I currently have to be out of the house twice a week for a kid class, and one of those sessions is used to go to the store. The other is spent at the park. I would have to give up park time, as there isn't a great time to go to the store in the rest of my schedule.

I would do the mud room Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 2