Menu

Ignore this thread!

Aww, no can do potatoes. But that sounds super yummy!

Job 2 is bookkeeping/receptionist for a small business. Can't join gym there, no sidewalks, no track or mall close by.

Thanks!!!

Angi. You can do a beef bowl. Look up “Korean beef bowl “. Delicious. I’m not going to link it for you because I am not really here. I’m sleeping. Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 5

Re. Rigor. Teach the kids you have. Some will pull you along for the ride. Some do the opposite. But they are whole persons with thoughts and feelings and dreams of their own. Homeschooling is not easy because at its best it is taking the whole child into account. (And to get all Christian on you: we all come with sinful natures).

I have long asked for specific advise on the boards but still marched to the beat of my own drummer.

And with that, I am hopefully going to turn over and go back to sleep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

Dd3 didn't wake up at 5:30 this morning! Hallelujah!

She's been waking up way to early and then being a grouchy melt-downy mess all day. Hopefully today will be a better day for her.

Busy day for me, lots of driving kids places and I'm still not feeling well. On the plus side Tuesday morning is when my housecleaning help comes:)

:grouphug:  for still not feeling well.  I hope that ends soon.

https://slm-assets3.secondlife.com/assets/6553476/thumbnail/Snapshot_292.jpg?1351976561

Warm location is my dream.  Renai's treehouse looks like it gets snow. 

That is not a treehouse.

These may not get snow: https://static1.squarespace.com/static/57aa677df5e2314c50955c04/t/58adfa44b3db2b088cd7cf03/1487796821411/Nelson+Treehouse+TreeHouse+Point

This:

tree-house-500x500.jpg

This:

1d7bcf2aaafff6618a4a85dfa2439815--garden

This one is in Costa Rica:

livingarea.jpg

• Like 3

Like mint and raspberries...

Grandma B also used to have raspberry bushes.  When her house finally got sold the new owners took out all of those wonderful raspberry bushes.  They don't know the gem they have lost.   :crying:

When visiting I used to go outside and feast off of the bushes while trying to gather a few for breakfast.  The bushes were in the back of the large yard, near the wood shed, up against the garden tool shed, near the vegetable patches (that included horseradish, asparagus, and rhubarb), just beyond the end of the grapes.

• Like 2

On 2/13/2018 at 8:51 AM, Susan in TN said:

Wally managed to do his whole vacuum cycle yesterday while we were gone without getting stuck or tangled, or choking on a pencil, and he also put himself to bed. I think he's learning!

The Well-Trained Servant! 🙂

Critter, I read your post the same way Renai did. Please Don't Beat the Turtles.

What we do in school is enough to be rigorous *for my kid*, and it's not what would've been for me or for DH (which would be two entirely different lists), never mind other people's kids. Too bad. More than that seems to be too much, and a kid needs some time to just read a book anyway. People who have commented on my Spreadsheet of Color-Coded Wonder apparently have not noticed that the entire week's schedule can be done in eight or ten hours.

We went to the Y and grocery store this morning. If I'm not going to get school started until mid-day, we might as well get something done first, right? I might need more coffee.

Edited by Carolina Wren
  • Like 6

She said the tree house, not a  tree house.  AMJ probably just wants the one they own for herself.  ;)

Not my treehouse!  I'm not afraid of heights, but I am afraid of falling from them.  Anything higher than a 3-step stool or ladder I have trouble climbing.

• Like 1

Good Morning!

I had a really bad headache, but I was able to knock it down by about 1:00.  Then I realized I was hungry.  Like, stomach growling hungry.  So I got up and made a big sushi bowl and watched youtube videos of people de-cluttering their houses.  It made me feel productive.   :laugh:

1 PM yesterday, or 1 AM this morning?

I hope your head doesn't bother you today.

I used to bake bread more but now it makes my hands itch so I only do pizza dough once or twice a month.

The way these kids eat though, I may need to assign more cooking to the olders. I miss leftovers. I ate taquitos for lunch three times last week. Blech.

Would a bread machine help?

• Like 1

Would a bread machine help?

That was was what I was going to say. I got one free through Freecycle. It's only been relegated to pizza dough, though, because like making zucchini, banana, and other such breads myself. I think they come out better from the oven than the machine.

Aww, no can do potatoes. But that sounds super yummy!

Job 2 is bookkeeping/receptionist for a small business. Can't join gym there, no sidewalks, no track or mall close by.

Thanks!!!

Supper:  Okay then, pick several veggies you like and a protein to go with them.  Choose what seasonings you like and do either a stir-fry or a saute of mixed veggies and protein.  Easy-peasy one-pan meal!

Hmm, so part of the time you are in public behind a desk.  Walk back and forth whenever you can get an excuse to do so (to the printer and back instead of reaching, to get more paperclips, to put excess paperclips away, etc.).  Stand up and sit down whenever you get an excuse to do so ("chair squats").  Maybe see about a chair cycle?  Something like this:

https://www.target.com/p/wakeman-fitness-folding-pedal-exerciser-with-electronic-display/-/A-52269725?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&CPNG=PLA_DVM+0060H00000jiZX7QAM-SG-Q1-AlwaysOn-Ext-Search-Feb-2018-Flight_AO&adgroup=PLA_SG%20Q1%202018&LID=700000001393753pgs&network=g&device=c&location=9027724&fndsrc=tmn&DFA=1&gclid=CNH2756lo9kCFRunZQodCzkMVQ&gclsrc=ds

The cycle isn't steps, but it might do as a substitute for some.

Or you can work out your arms by shaking your pedometer up and down!

Remember the wise words of Teresa the Acute:

Don't make unnecessary journeys.

Don't take risks on treacherous roads.

And don't swim in the sea.

This made me laugh. It needs to be on a plaque somewhere. We can hang it in The Hall of Wisdom on the Island. Which is right next to the portrait gallery, which is an extension of the Gallery of Critter’s Art.
  • Like 4

I’m thinking about getting a Fitbit. Or something like that to count my steps. I’m getting inspired by Jean. And hitting 50 made me realize all sorts of things. So, what kind of Fitbit do I need. I was looking on Amazon yesterday and got overwhelmed. It’s like shopping for car seats back in the day. I don’t need all the bells and whistles, just a good basic one, I think. But what is that?

• Like 2

That was was what I was going to say. I got one free through Freecycle. It's only been relegated to pizza dough, though, because like making zucchini, banana, and other such breads myself. I think they come out better from the oven than the machine.

DH and DD13 use DH's bread machine to make and rise dough, and then they turn that into rolls or monkey bread by hand to bake in the oven.  DH used to make "loaves" of bread in his machine, but I was never thrilled with those.

• Like 1

Angi. You can do a beef bowl. Look up “Korean beef bowl “. Delicious. I’m not going to link it for you because I am not really here. I’m sleeping.

Go back to sleep and answer this later!

If you can't use sesame oil or seeds, can you just leave them out, or substitute something else?

(This is the recipe I looked at: https://damndelicious.net/2013/07/07/korean-beef-bowl/ )

Edited by Susan in TN

Go back to sleep and answer this later!

If you can't use sesame oil or seeds, can you just leave them out, or substitute something else?

(This is the recipe I looked at: https://damndelicious.net/2013/07/07/korean-beef-bowl/ )

Yes. You can leave it out. Or add anorher oil if you want. I never use the seeds. And that’s the recipe I use. I add stir fry veggies to it. My favorites are bok choy, mushrooms, bean sprouts.

• Like 2

1 a.m.

My head is bothering me already today, but I was a good girl and took Advil and a shower instead of watching Olympics this morning.  :)

Lesson learned.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:

Can you nap today?  Would that help?

I have always wanted a treehouse in a big gnarled oak tree. [emoji269]

I'll settle for a non-oak tree.  DD16 is allergic to oak pollen.

#yup,lotsofoakaroundhere,poorDD16

You shouldn't abuse turtles. The shells may crack.

:laugh:

Most mornings they beat me up. Does that make it better? It's rare when I get five minutes of morning without one or the other waking up. Most mornings they are both up before I am.

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 1

Cereal for breakfast.

Cereal for lunch.

Not the best of dining for me today, but I do have all of the ingredients for that Korean beef bowl, so I'm thawing ground beef with that plan for tonight's supper.

• Like 1

I went to my appointment, then stopped at the new Aikido location on my way to pick up catfood.  As suspected, my long pick-up and that tiny parking lot are going to be problems.  However, it is close enough to home we might just drop DD13 off and pick her up instead of staying and hanging out there while she's in classes.

DD13 resumes ballet class again today, so she and I are eating early lunch before I start putting up all. that. hair.

DD16 is waiting for us to leave to resume her GC French lectures.  She is also running her laundry today.

I just remembered something I'm supposed to do and can do while waiting at ballet class, but now I've forgotten it again....

• Like 3

Re. Rigor. Teach the kids you have. Some will pull you along for the ride. Some do the opposite. But they are whole persons with thoughts and feelings and dreams of their own. Homeschooling is not easy because at its best it is taking the whole child into account. (And to get all Christian on you: we all come with sinful natures).

I have long asked for specific advise on the boards but still marched to the beat of my own drummer.

I saw their personalities and sins at an extremely young age and should have seen their studenthood as well, but hadn't considered it. John is brilliant, stubborn and impatient. Guess what kind of a student he is. Mary is lazy and artistic. Guess what kind of student she'll be. It's so funny how they are who they are before they can walk.

I’m thinking about getting a Fitbit. Or something like that to count my steps. I’m getting inspired by Jean. And hitting 50 made me realize all sorts of things. So, what kind of Fitbit do I need. I was looking on Amazon yesterday and got overwhelmed. It’s like shopping for car seats back in the day. I don’t need all the bells and whistles, just a good basic one, I think. But what is that?

I vote flex. Edited by Slache
  • Like 6

Dd14 pulls me along--just not in academics.

Dance!

More dance!

Martial arts!

Competitive martial arts!

She does want to go to an Arabic camp this summer.

• Like 6

I saw their personalities and sins at an extremely young age and should have seen their studenthood as well, but hadn't considered it. John is brilliant, stubborn and impatient. Guess what kind of a student he is. Mary is lazy and artistic. Guess what kind of student she'll be. It's so funny how they are who they are before they can walk.

They will probably change their spots in ways you do not expect. Ask me how I know.

• Like 6